PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down Nick Swisher (long)

StatManDu
03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Breaking down Nick Swisher

Some nuggets, notes and nonsense about new Sox Nick Swisher courtesy of retrosheet.org, yahoo.com, thebaseballcube.com and the author’s personal files (For the complete report, download the file):

Cell mate
If history holds, expect big things from Nick Swisher in home games this season.
The only park where Swisher has hit better than US Cellular Field is Tropicana Field in TampaBay.
Swisher owns a .378 career average (14-for-37) with a home run and nine RBIs in nine games at the Cell. In addition, Swisher has a .455 on-base percentage, a .568 slugging percentage, four doubles and six walks at the corner of 35th and Shields.
Swisher hit .308 at the Cell in 2005, .300 in 2006 and .500 in 2007.
Swisher is hitting .386 (22-for-57) with four homers and 13 RBIs at Tropicana Field.

He has company
Swisher is another in a long line of Kenny Williams pickups with a solid offensive resume at US Cellular Field as a visitor.
Here’s the rundown: Orlando Cabrera arrived in Chicago with a .302 career average at US Cellular Field. His best year at the park came in 2004 when hit .429 (6-for-14) with two doubles, a homer and four RBIs in three games there for the Red Sox. … When Jim Thome was acquired by the Sox before the 2006 season, he was hitting .286 with a .382 on-base percentage and a .600 slugging percentage with 18 home runs at US Cellular Field. … When Jermaine Dye was signed prior to 2005, he owned a .286 average with five home runs and 19 RBIs as a visitor to U.S. Cellular Field. … AJ Pierzynski donned the Sox “soot and silver” in 2005 with a .326 average at 35th and Shields. In addition, Pierzynski had hit safely 20 of his 23 games as a visitor to U.S. Cellular Field while collecting more hits as a visitor (28) at U.S. Cellular Field than at any park. … Darin Erstad signed with the Sox with a .353 average the Cell.

All in the Family
Nick Swisher is the son of former White Sox first round draft pick Steve Swisher, who never played for the team.
The Sox made Steve the 21st overall pick of the June 1973 draft out of OhioUniversity. Steve joined Ken Piesha (1965) and Danny Goodwin (1971) as the only catchers selected in the first round of the June draft by the Sox to that point. Since then, the team has chosen backstops Rick Seilheimer (1979), Ron Karkovice (1982), Kurt Brown (1985) and Mark Johnson (1994) in the first round of the June draft.
Steve signed on June 20, 1973 and began his pro career at the Sox Double-A affiliate in Knoxville, Tenn., where his teammates included the likes of Lamar Johnson and Ken Kravec. After hitting .211 in 54 games, Steve was promoted to Triple-A Iowa where he batted .286 in six games to finish out the season.
The following December Steve was part of the largest trade ever executed between the Sox and the Cubs. The Sox packaged Steve with pitchers Ken Frailing, Jim Kremmel and Steve Stone and sent them across town for Ron Santo on Dec. 11, 1973.
Steve went to play nine seasons in the National League (four with the Cubs, three with the Cardinals and two with the Padres). He hit .216 with 20 homers, 322 strikeouts and 124 RBIs in 509 games in a career that included a spot on the 1976 National League All-Star team (did not play).
Steve never played a game for an American League team and, to this point in his career, Nick has never played a game for a National League team.

Call him ‘Swish’
Much has been made about Swisher’s on-base percentage but he swings and misses, too.
Swisher has fanned at least 110 times in each of the last three seasons. He struck out a career-high 152 times in 2006. If Swisher had been on the Sox in 2006, the 152 strikeouts would have been the second-highest total in club history behind only Dave “Swish” Nicholson’s 175 whiffs in 1963.

Swing early
Swisher is kind of a paradox.
While one of the main reasons the Sox acquired him was for penchant for patience, he thrives when swinging at the first pitch. For his career, Swisher is hitting .350 with three homer and a .561 slugging percentage with the count 0-0. Last year, while drawing 100 walks, Swisher hit hit a sizzling .487 (19-for-84) with a .744 slugging percentage and a home run. His next highest “count” average in 2007 was .357 after 3-0.
Swisher’s highest career “count” average is on 1-1. Swisher is hitting .392 with a .636 slugging percentage with a ball and a strike.
*Other robust averages: .371 with 14 homers at 1-0, .344 with six homers at 2-0 and .308 at 2-1.
*Badness: .145 on 0-2, .153 after 0-2, .175 after 1-2, .160 on 2-2 and .194 after 2-2.
*Bat on shoulder: Swisher has swung just once in his career with the count 3-0. He was retired.
*Men on/empty: For his career, Swisher is hitting .254 with 48 homers with the bases empty and .247 with 32 homers with men on base.

Central issues
Swisher hasn’t fared particularly well against American League Central teams.
In fact, Swisher has had his best Central success against the White Sox, hitting .305 with a homer and 12 RBIs. Against Cleveland, Swisher is hitting .290 followed by Minnesota at .250, Kansas City at .236 and Detroit at .211.
*Central sites: Outside of US Cellular Field, the only Central venue where Swisher has thrived is the Metrodome.
Swisher comes to the Sox with a .378 average at the Cell. He is hitting .292 at the Metrodome. From there, his Central road averages drop signficantly. Swisher is hitting .264 in Cleveland, .188 in Detroit and .175 in Kansas City.
*Look out, CC: One of the best things about Swisher is that he comes to Chicago with a solid resume against Sox-killer C.C. Sabathia. Swisher is hitting .385 (5-for-13) with a double, an RBI and a walk against Cleveland’s ace left-hander, who is 14-3 lifetime against the Southsiders.
*Other Tribe hurlers: Swisher has tagged Cleveland hurlers Cliff Lee (.444), Fausto Carmona (.429) and Paul Byrd (.333, 7 hits) but struggled against Jake Westbrook (1-for-19, with a strikeout) and Rafael Betancourt (.200).
*Tiger tales: When Swisher gets a hit off Justin Verlander, it probably is going for extra-bases. Swisher is 4-for-15 with a double and two home run off the Detroit ace.
Against other notable Detroit hurlers, Swisher is 3-for-3 with a homer off Denny Bautista; .167 with a homer vs. Jeremy Bonderman; .105 (2-for-19) vs. Zach Robertson and .267 (4-for-15) vs. Kenny Rogers.
*Royal report: Swisher has struggled against Gil Meche, hitting just .214 with seven strikeouts in 14 at bats against the Kansas City ace.
Against other notable Royal tossers, Swisher is 2-for-6 with a homer against Brian Banniser; .400 (2-for-5) against Zack Greinke and 1-for-1 against Joakim Soria.
*Twin tales: Of the current hurlers on the Twins’ staff, Swisher has had the most success against Francisco Liriano. Swisher is 2-for-4 with a double against the young lefty.
Swisher has come up empty while walking once in five plate appearances against Minnesota closer Joe Nathan.

For the rest, download the file.

soxfan21
03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Impressive stuff.

itsnotrequired
03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Epic font and formatting.

skobabe8
03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
"soot and silver"? :?:

itsnotrequired
03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
"soot and silver"? :?:

I prefer "shiny n' briny".

chisoxmike
03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/homer-eating-popcorn-c7873_sml.jpg

thomas35forever
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
How long did it take to make that?

#1swisher
03-11-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks for doing the research...
it's the reason I joined WSI and of course the members.

StatManDu
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't know ... You sit at a computer, surf, take notes, collect stuff, post what is interesting ... and not sometimes.

That's self serving, too. You'll see some of that stuff on the Scoreboard when Swisher bats this year.

I really enjoying digging.

Thanks!

Thome25
03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I'd hate to play devil's advocate here. But, did Cabrera and Swisher hit will at The Cell because of the ballpark itself or because they were feasting off of White Sox pitching?

I think it'd do some good to compare the stats of the White Sox pitching staff at USCF and against the A's, Angels, and Red Sox rather than saying it's the ballpark that made them hit well.

Maybe their stats at USCF were getting fat because of a lousy Sox pitching staff at the time.

I mean maybe Swisher hit well at Tropicana because we all know about the Rays pitching staff.

Don't get me wrong either....I hope those stats are true and Cabrera and Swisher have monster numbers for the Sox.

Cabrera and Swisher won't be facing White Sox pitchers at White Sox park.

soxfan13
03-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd hate to play devil's advocate here. But, did Cabrera and Swisher hit will at The Cell because of the ballpark itself or because they were feasting off of White Sox pitching?

I think it'd do some good to compare the stats of the White Sox pitching staff at USCF and against the A's, Angels, and Red Sox rather than saying it's the ballpark that made them hit well.

Maybe their stats at USCF were getting fat because of a lousy Sox pitching staff at the time.

I mean maybe Swisher hit well at Tropicana because we all know about the Rays pitching staff.

Don't get me wrong either....I hope those stats are true and Cabrera and Swisher have monster numbers for the Sox.

Cabrera and Swisher won't be facing White Sox pitchers at White Sox park.

One player that I have seen defy this type of thinking was Andre Dawson. Before he played for the Cubs they threw those numbers around about how well he hit at Wrigley. I always thought the same thing that he was hitting against the Cubs of course hes doing well. But he really did show that he liked hitting at Wrigley. Sometimes players just like a certain park and you really cant put a finger on the reason why.

PolishPower83
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Nice research! There's a lot to like about Swisher, especially how he helps kids through charity work like "Swish's Wishes." The world of sports could use more athletes like Swisher and I'm expecting a BIG year out of him.