View Full Version : Cleveland memorial day

soxwon
03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Im looking into getting a room for Clev starting may 26-28
we have three games there.
Who's going to be going to cleveland?

skottyj242
03-11-2008, 12:43 PM
We stayed at the Holiday Inn by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and walked to the park. It's a fun little city.

jenn2080
03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I have also stayed at the Crown Plaza. It is not far from the Holiday Inn we stayed at.

Cat Thief
03-11-2008, 04:00 PM
We loved the park, the Hilton we stayed at was very nice. It was only a block away, just across the street from the methadone clinic.

Fun Times.

whitesoxwilkes
03-11-2008, 04:03 PM
We may. Won't be deciding for a while though.

jenn2080
03-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I will warn you that going Memorial Day weekend is one of the most boring times you can go. Nothing is opened and the city is like a ghost town.

ilsox7
03-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I will warn you that going Memorial Day weekend is one of the most boring times you can go. Nothing is opened and the city is like a ghost town.

As someone who lived briefly in Cleveland and enjoyed it, I can say that there are not many times when Cleveland isn't a ghost town. Downtown is just dead by nature. Now, certain places around Cleveland will be crowded most times of the year (Coventry, Lakewood, Great Lake Brewery, etc). But I remember walking around downtown on gorgeous Saturday afternoons and being able to count on two hands the amount of people I saw out and about.

jenn2080
03-11-2008, 04:17 PM
As someone who lived briefly in Cleveland and enjoyed it, I can say that there are not many times when Cleveland isn't a ghost town. Downtown is just dead by nature. Now, certain places around Cleveland will be crowded most times of the year (Coventry, Lakewood, Great Lake Brewery, etc). But I remember walking around downtown on gorgeous Saturday afternoons and being able to count on two hands the amount of people I saw out and about.

Oh for sure. However, we were there on Memorial Day 2 yrs ago and at 6 pm everything was closing down and we walked around for about 2 hrs in search of something to eat. We ended up at Alice Coopers joint because it was the only place that was opened.

Last year we had a blast.

ilsox7
03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh for sure. However, we were there on Memorial Day 2 yrs ago and at 6 pm everything was closing down and we walked around for about 2 hrs in search of something to eat. We ended up at Alice Coopers joint because it was the only place that was opened.

Last year we had a blast.

I do miss Cleveland. I mean, it's no Chicago, obviously. But a nice weekend in Cleveland is definitely a good time. Especially if you get into Great Lakes early enough to get seated, drink their phenomenal beer, and eat their above average food. And the Jake (or whatever it is called now) is a great ballpark. I wonder if they still do the $5 tickets. Those were the days, getting into the park for $5 and standing on the Home Run Porch in left field.

soxwon
03-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Its not memorial weekend, it starts memorial day, mon-tues-wed, we are there.
So im sure everything will be open those days, as long as the Rusty Pelican or whatever that bar is north of the park is open, ill be happy.
Cooperstown is the best bar downtown, I believe theres fireworks memorial night after the game.

jenn2080
03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Its not memorial weekend, it starts memorial day, mon-tues-wed, we are there.
So im sure everything will be open those days, as long as the Rusty Pelican or whatever that bar is north of the park is open, ill be happy.
Cooperstown is the best bar downtown, I believe theres fireworks memorial night after the game.

Are you serious?

Also I am pretty sure it is no longer Cooperstown.

soxwon
03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
You ever venture to the cemetary across fom the park, its on the side Cooperstown is, very old cemetary, i ran into the ghost of Rocky Colavito and Bob feller there once, they bought me a beer and then disapeared.

Stormin' Norm
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
While I agree that Cleveland proper should be leveled and rebuilt, save for a few things here or there, the Cleveland Rib Burn off typically takes place during Memorial Weekend. Its a short walk from the Jake and usually features some not extremely popular bands.

If worse comes to worse the Pro Football Hall of Fame, featuring several Bears, is less than an hour away from the city.

soxwon
03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Are you serious?

Also I am pretty sure it is no longer Cooperstown.

ok thanks. ill still go there, its right by the park.
anyone going there that week, meet up after the game at the bar.

Walker29
03-14-2008, 01:09 PM
We had a great time over Labor Day weekend in Cleveland, though the Sox lost both games. Stumbled into too many bars to remember all the names. But Panini Bros. for their overstuffed sandwiches was a standout. Beer was cheap, and the Jake is a great park. A couple other bars that ring a bell were Tequila Cantina, and the Blind Pig. We made the trip to Canton on Saturday and its about a 45-60 minute drive. Definately worth the trip if you have the time.

skottyj242
03-14-2008, 01:18 PM
We went to Grave Diggers or Bone Diggers or something like that. They had like 80 beers or so, I drank Budweiser, but it was a good old rock and roll bar and we had a blast. Everyone was friendly and I ran into people that knew people from my neighborhood growing up.

ilsox7
03-14-2008, 08:18 PM
We went to Grave Diggers or Bone Diggers or something like that. They had like 80 beers or so, I drank Budweiser, but it was a good old rock and roll bar and we had a blast. Everyone was friendly and I ran into people that knew people from my neighborhood growing up.

Boneyard.