PDA

View Full Version : Cub Loyalty - A Mental Disease?

SoxyStu
03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
http://www.nbc5.com/health/15558227/detail.html

"Another long-suffering Cubs fan, Dan Gordon, said he was so upset after the 2003 season, he decided to ask psychologists and neurologists to examine fans' loyalty to the Cubs and put it in a book."

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.nbc5.com/health/15558227/detail.html

"Another long-suffering Cubs fan, Dan Gordon, said he was so upset after the 2003 season, he decided to ask psychologists and neurologists to examine fans' loyalty to the Cubs and put it in a book."

In a book? Dr Seuss' "Get Your Head Out of Your Ass"?

SOXPHILE
03-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I saw this on the news this morning; not during the sports segment, but as one of the reguluar news segments. I'm so glad there's nothign else going on in the world. Expect multiple stories on this in the Tribune, WGN T.V., Chicago Magazine, and in depth interview with the guy on Spike O'Dell.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times- the things these idiot "fans" and the media do, and the levels of stupidity they sink to, never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think I've seen it all, they do something else that makes my jaw drop, and I shake my head.

Hitmen77
03-11-2008, 12:01 PM
This is nothing more than the latest item in the endless stream of tripe spewed out by the Cubbie hype machine. Nothing adds to the "mystique" of their fan-dumb than having morons continually flood the media with all this malarky about how Cub fans are so pathologically loyal and lovable.

Let's call a spade a spade - most of the people at Wrigley don't care that much about the Cubs performance. They're just there because the Cubs are popular and Wrigley is a place to get drunk and is surrounded by bars where you can go and get drunk some more before and after the game. Others are there as tourists because they've been brainwashed since birth that Wrigley is a "shrine". This whole notion that they have cornered the market on "suffering" is so stupid. Since I doubt a majority of Cub fans are close to 100 years old, they haven't had to "suffer" any longer than fans of many other teams who haven't won it all in decades or waited decades before winning it all. So Cub fans, quit whining already and going around like you invented suffering simply because you are a fan of a popular team with a huge fan base.

Oh, and it broke their lovable hearts that they lost the playoffs in 2003? Oh boo-freaking-hoo!!!! Apparantly they are the only team that ever got eliminated from the playoffs - let's write a book about it!!!....and I feel sooo sorry for them about 2003 after EVERY Cub fan I ran into took glee in rubbing my face in their playoff run before that "Bartman" game. Cub fans, get off your high-horse already. You root for a team that is far richer than probably 27 other teams - a team that can afford to spend its way out of running a crappy organization - a team that is blessed with such a weak division that it only has to shoot for 85 wins to make the playoffs. Life really is unfair to the Cubs!

[/rant]

soxfan21
03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
This is nothing more than the latest item in the endless stream of tripe spewed out by the Cubbie hype machine. Nothing adds to the "mystique" of their fan-dumb than having morons continually flood the media with all this malarky about how Cub fans are so pathologically loyal and lovable.

Let's call a spade a spade - most of the people at Wrigley don't care that much about the Cubs performance. They're just there because the Cubs are popular and Wrigley is a place to get drunk and is surrounded by bars where you can go and get drunk some more before and after the game. Others are there as tourists because they've been brainwashed since birth that Wrigley is a "shrine". This whole notion that they have cornered the market on "suffering" is so stupid. Since I doubt a majority of Cub fans is close to 100 years old, they haven't had to "suffer" any longer than fans of many other teams who haven't won it all in decades or waited decades before winning it all. So Cub fans, quit whining already and going around like you invented suffering simply because you are a fan of a popular team with a huge fan base.

Oh, and it broke their lovable hearts that they lost the playoffs in 2003? Oh boo-freaking-hoo!!!! Apparantly they are the only team that ever got eliminated from the playoffs - let's write a book about it!!!....and I feel sooo sorry for them about 2003 after EVERY Cub fan I ran into took glee in rubbing my face in their playoff run before that "Bartman" game. Cub fans, get off your high-horse already. You root for a team that is far richer than probably 27 other teams - a team that can afford to spend its way out of running a crappy organization - a team that is blessed with such a weak division that it only has to shoot for 85 wins to make the playoffs. Life really is unfair to the Cubs!

[/rant]

Amen.

Iwritecode
03-11-2008, 12:23 PM
My best friend is a real Cubs fan. Not one that follows the team because they are popular or because Wrigley is a fun place to hang out. Even he can't figure out why he stays loyal to them and sometimes wonders if it's really worth it.

turners56
03-11-2008, 12:26 PM

Let's call a spade a spade - most of the people at Wrigley don't care that much about the Cubs performance. They're just there because the Cubs are popular and Wrigley is a place to get drunk and is surrounded by bars where you can go and get drunk some more before and after the game. Others are there as tourists because they've been brainwashed since birth that Wrigley is a "shrine". This whole notion that they have cornered the market on "suffering" is so stupid. Since I doubt a majority of Cub fans are close to 100 years old, they haven't had to "suffer" any longer than fans of many other teams who haven't won it all in decades or waited decades before winning it all. So Cub fans, quit whining already and going around like you invented suffering simply because you are a fan of a popular team with a huge fan base.

[/rant]

Trudat.

kittle42
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree with everything in the rant except the notion that the Cubs do not have a VERY huge pack of actual fans. They do. Yes, the Wrigley-ites are idiots, but there is a huge national fanbase of people who actually do love the Cubs.

Hitmen77
03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I agree with everything in the rant except the notion that the Cubs do not have a VERY huge pack of actual fans. They do. Yes, the Wrigley-ites are idiots, but there is a huge national fanbase of people who actually do love the Cubs.

Perhaps my rant was misleading on this point. I agree - the Cubs do have a huge fanbase (not just the frat boys who get drunk at Wrigley). I guess my point is that having a huge fan base doesn't make them any more loyal or lovable than fans of other teams.

On the contrary, I would argue that it is easier for even "real" Cub fans to root for their team than it is for other long suffering fans because they are doing so in the midsts of a huge party that is always the center of attention and is always glorified in popular culture.

kittle42
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
On the contrary, I would argue that it is easier for even "real" Cub fans to root for their team than it is for other long suffering fans because they are doing so in the midsts of a huge party that is always the center of attention and is always glorified in popular culture.

It's easier because losing is expected, and even when the Cubs lose, it's teated as a cute and cuddly situation by the media, whereas if, say, the Yankees lose, they get slaughtered locally and nationally.

cub killer
03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
for every media piece done for that crap organization, we should strike back and publish more books and literature about what it means to be a White Sox fan and how good it feels to win a World Series and be a Chicagoan and root for the team that embodies our work ethic. In addition to Richard Roeper, I'm sure there are posters here who can get out there and get more media published on our team to compete with all the crap that the flub hype machine defecates out.

it's like when we battle them verbally during the crosstown classic. they go "lets go flubbies" while we strike back louder and deeper "LETS GO WHITE SOX". we usually always outchant them, even in the urinal and we can do the same media-wise.

kittle42
03-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Hangar? :scratch: :D:

Railsplitter
03-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't know if Schlub fans have chemical imbalances in the brain, but the wallow in the Lovable Losers image but talk of the hated Met - who pioneered that image.

RadioheadRocks
03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
As if the sCrUBS weren't overexposed enough already. :puking:

cheezheadsoxfan
03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
These people are so damm full of themselves. Enough!!

turners56
03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I wanna say something, but I think I'll control myself.

Boondock Saint
03-13-2008, 04:27 PM

[/rant]

Post of the ****ing month. I came into this thread sighing and thinking, "Here we go again. Another Cub thread". That post got my blood boiling, as just about everything said in it embodies exactly what I want to shout at every Cub fan/national media outlet, etc. that spews their propaganda.

WSox597
03-16-2008, 06:42 AM
It seems that their overbearing fans are suffering more from an inferiority complex than anything else. They overcompensate by being arrogant and obnoxious.

The one thing almost all Cub fans bump their gums about is how many fans fill their landfill stadium. They constantly talk about how they lead the league in attendance. They talk about numbers.

I just tell them, I have some numbers for you, 1908. Oh, and 2005.

The usual result is silence, which is nice.

white sox bill
03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
In answer to the orginal posters question, is it a mental disease?

Yes

turners56
03-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Lol mental disease. :scratch::bandance: