PDA

View Full Version : Yankees restock farm system with B. Crystal

Frontman
03-11-2008, 08:44 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080311/ap_en_tv/bba_yankees_crystal

I understand the need for veteran players, but that's pushing it!

spiffie
03-11-2008, 08:55 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080311/ap_en_tv/bba_yankees_crystal

The Sox are watching him closely. If he shows anything, Crystal for Crede, make a book of it.

SoxWillWin
03-11-2008, 09:09 AM
yeah....the movie stars get to fulfill thier childhood dreams of playing for a Major league team while us middle class get raised ticket and concession prices...gotta love it :smile:

Domeshot17
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
The Sox are watching him closely. If he shows anything, Crystal for Crede, make a book of it.

I heard the Yankees are asking for more because they are not convicned Crede is healthy. Rumor has it Crystal also was the breakdown in the Johan deals, NOT Hughes. The Twins demanded Crystal because of their recent attempts to turn their team into a joke.

spiffie
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I heard the Yankees are asking for more because they are not convicned Crede is healthy. Rumor has it Crystal also was the breakdown in the Johan deals, NOT Hughes. The Twins demanded Crystal because of their recent attempts to turn their team into a joke.
That makes no sense. Billy Crystal hasn't helped any joke get better in many years :tongue:

eriqjaffe
03-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Crystal's, what, 59? I fully expect a Crystal-for-Lowry trade any day now.

Jerko
03-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Crystal's, what, 59? I fully expect a Crystal-for-Lowry trade any day now.

Damn, first we lost out on Benson, now Jody signs with the Yanks? C'mon Kenny!

Madvora
03-11-2008, 11:01 AM
"And I'll be the guy at the ballpark that everyone hates"
"The umpire?"
"No, Billy Crystal"

- Simpsons

Goose
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Isnt Crystal a Mets fan? I remember some of the movies he did in the 90's? where he always had one on...was it the City Slickers series?

Those NY fans don't know how to hate like Chicago fans do...

SOXPHILE
03-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Must be nice to make your living pretending to be things your not. Then you get to sign one day contract with MLB teams and practice with them. Hey, I'd like to go to spring training and take batting and fielding practice with the White Sox. You do what for a living ? Oh, I'm sorry, only actors and musicians get to do this.

Dan Mega
03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
He is grindy and Chicago Tough. Watch for KW to take a flier on him.

Frontman
03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
He even has the beard so loved here in Chicago.

MUsoxfan
03-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Crystal probably has a no-trade clause

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Crystal probably has a no-trade clause

The Yankees made him concede to not make a sequel to "Mr. Saturday Night" in order to make the roster.

DSpivack
03-11-2008, 05:30 PM
The Yankees made him concede to not make a sequel to "Mr. Saturday Night" in order to make the roster.

Oy.

Railsplitter
03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Isnt Crystal a Mets fan? I remember some of the movies he did in the 90's? where he always had one on...was it the City Slickers series?

What's bizarre was the fact that in City Slickers Crystals charchter wears a Mets cap while talking about the best day of life, the first baseball game he went to - at Yankee Stadium.

steely712
03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Where in the hell would someone even put him on the field, you can't put him in the infield, he will get killed if some guy hits a line shot at him. I hope he gets hurt and sues the yankees for a crap load of money.

BadBobbyJenks
03-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Where in the hell would someone even put him on the field, you can't put him in the infield, he will get killed if some guy hits a line shot at him. I hope he gets hurt and sues the yankees for a crap load of money.

Pretty sure he had to sign a waiver

Railsplitter
03-12-2008, 06:49 AM
How old was Minnie Minoso when he had his stint with the Sox in 1980? Crystal can't be too much older than that.

CubKilla
03-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I hope the pitcher's go at him like any other player. K him on 3 pitches with a bit of chin music. I hate hearing about garbage like this. What about the other fans who's dream is to play a game..... hell..... an inning in a professional baseball game? Why aren't they ever given an opportunity like this? Why is it always sports athletes, movie stars, singers, etc. "F" them! They have everything they can possibly want in life and do it with less work than the everyday guy. I think White Sox charities would make a killing raffling off an opportunity like this to the everyday nobody fan. Hell, I'd be bidding just to play in an intra-squad game.

areilly
03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I hope the pitcher's go at him like any other player. K him on 3 pitches with a bit of chin music. I hate hearing about garbage like this. What about the other fans who's dream is to play a game..... hell..... an inning in a professional baseball game? Why aren't they ever given an opportunity like this? Why is it always sports athletes, movie stars, singers, etc. "F" them! They have everything they can possibly want in life and do it with less work than the everyday guy. I think White Sox charities would make a killing raffling off an opportunity like this to the everyday nobody fan. Hell, I'd be bidding just to play in an intra-squad game.

Because non-baseball athletes, movie stars, singers and the like have the following:
a) Money
b) Connections
c) Profile

Go get those things on your side, and your dreams of being walked on four pitches by Dewon Day can come true as well.

As a side note, your "everything they want" and "less work" statement is at once extremely dismissive and patently offensive to anyone who actually makes a name or living for themselves in any of those fields. The rewards may be disproportionately higher, but the effort required is in no way diminished because of that; you might as well pick on inventors and investors while you're at it.

moochpuppy
03-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Contreras is still older.

moochpuppy
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Hey, I'd like to go to spring training and take batting and fielding practice with the White Sox. You do what for a living ? Oh, I'm sorry, only actors and musicians get to do this.

Or suspended basketball stars.

moochpuppy
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Put him at 2B and let Albert Belle run at him.

SOXPHILE
03-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Or suspended basketball stars.

Touche ! Good one ! I believe you are referring to one M.Jeff, and the rumored suspension for gambling he received, as opposed to the "I'm retiring" story that was run with ?

By the way, I also wanted to to try out for, and practice with the Bulls, but you have to be a "rap star" in order to do that in the NBA.

areilly
03-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Touche ! Good one ! I believe you are referring to one M.Jeff, and the rumored suspension for gambling he received, as opposed to the "I'm retiring" story that was run with ?

By the way, I also wanted to to try out for, and practice with the Bulls, but you have to be a "rap star" in order to do that in the NBA.

Are you either

a) good at basketball
b) not good at basketball, but someone whose presence will garner publicity for the Bulls?

If so, you were cheated. If not, what are you complaining about? Why should they possibly give you a chance? And why does everyone on this board feel so entitled today?

SOXPHILE
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Are you either

a) good at basketball
b) not good at basketball, but someone whose presence will garner publicity for the Bulls?

If so, you were cheated. If not, what are you complaining about? Why should they possibly give you a chance? And why does everyone on this board feel so entitled today?

Easy there, killer. I wasn't complaining, and I don't feel entitled. I was just commenting on how "celebrities", i.e., actors, musicians, etc., get to take practice with whatever pro sports team suits their fancy, just because of who they are, and how much money they have. Just more in a long list of examples of how many of these people are extremely disconnected with the rest of us in the real world. Alot of people would like to do these things too, but would never be given the oppurtunity, because they don't make gobs of money playing make believe (actors), or singing.

Oh, by the way-

a) Yes

b) Possibly :cool:

South Side Irish
03-13-2008, 08:24 AM
I think this is pretty cool... I know we all can't live our "dream" to get to practice with our Sox, but I think it's cool that at least somebody gets to live their dream. I can be happy for a guy without feeling "cheated" personally. I understand how celebrity and such work, so I can be happy for him. After all, he is a hard-core baseball fan who just happens to be very famous. Would you turn down the chance if somebody offered you a similar deal in their position? I sure as hell wouldn't!

And the impressive thing - yesterday he hit 52 of 52 BP throws. Yes, they're lobbing balls for him, but it's still impressive that a 60 year old man put wood on every pitch thrown at him. I know I couldn't do that!

Frontman
03-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Easy there, killer. I wasn't complaining, and I don't feel entitled. I was just commenting on how "celebrities", i.e., actors, musicians, etc., get to take practice with whatever pro sports team suits their fancy, just because of who they are, and how much money they have. Just more in a long list of examples of how many of these people are extremely disconnected with the rest of us in the real world. Alot of people would like to do these things too, but would never be given the oppurtunity, because they don't make gobs of money playing make believe (actors), or singing.

Oh, by the way-

a) Yes

So, I should be able to sit in the luxury boxes, even though I don't make enough money to afford them?

It's the way of the world. Getting mad that celebrities/people with money getting opportunities others can't is just silly. It isn't worth it at the end of the day.

areilly
03-13-2008, 10:05 AM

Oh, by the way-

a) Yes

I got bad news for you: tons of money and some degree of celebrity = tons of opportunity to indulge stupid whims. That is the real world. That's why you and I aren't at batting practice today.

RTI_SoxFan
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Billy Crystal led off for the Yankees today and shockingly, struck out.

Anyone see it? I'm sure ESPN probably dropped whatever was being televised to show his at bat.

steveironcity
03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Billy Crystal led off for the Yankees today and shockingly, struck out.

Anyone see it? I'm sure ESPN probably dropped whatever was being televised to show his at bat.

I saw it, he did line on foul, and he had a 3-1 count, but missed the last 2 pitches.

Rockin Robin
03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
He actually took some pretty good hacks!

I still think it was ridiculous, but he definately didn't embarass himself.

DSpivack
03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
He actually took some pretty good hacks!

I still think it was ridiculous, but he definately didn't embarass himself.

Hey, he got a D1 scholarship for baseball (never played as Marshall dropped the program when he was a freshman). It's just been about 40 years since then. :tongue:

Sox
03-13-2008, 06:19 PM

I remember Billy wearing what was it now oh yeah a Mets cap.........

waldo_the_wolf
03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I remember Billy wearing what was it now oh yeah a Mets cap.........

I heard an interview where Billy said that the reason he wore a Mets cap in City Slickers despite his loving the Yankees was because the mets graciously donated a lot of money to some Comic Relief project Billy was involved with. He wore the Mets cap as a way to say thanks.

Railsplitter
03-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Okay, now that all's said and done, nobody got hurt, and it was an exhibition, unike Eddie Gaedel's 1951 pinch hitting stint.

ksimpson14
03-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I am waiting for the idiot Cub fan, like Bill Murray, to do this now, and Chicago media will orgasm over it

Frontman
03-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Okay, now that all's said and done, nobody got hurt, and it was an exhibition, unike Eddie Gaedel's 1951 pinch hitting stint.

Yep, he was released today.

Man, talk about Steinbrenner being a jerk. Letting a guy go on his birthday.

Frontman
03-14-2008, 11:30 PM
I am waiting for the idiot Cub fan, like Bill Murray, to do this now, and Chicago media will orgasm over it

Could it be John Cusak, and can someone come in cleats up as he tries to turn a double play?!?!?!?

Railsplitter
03-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Yep, he was released today.

Man, talk about Steinbrenner being a jerk. Letting a guy go on his birthday.
The Yankees released Phil Rizzuto on Old Timer's Day.

Sox
03-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I heard an interview where Billy said that the reason he wore a Mets cap in City Slickers despite his loving the Yankees was because the mets graciously donated a lot of money to some Comic Relief project Billy was involved with. He wore the Mets cap as a way to say thanks.

If thats the case thats really cool. :bandance:I mean I'm certainly not a Mets fan but it was nice gesture on his part considering he's a skankees fan.