PDA

View Full Version : Quotes From Bashbro

duke of dorwood
04-25-2002, 10:00 AM
"It's very unusual; I'm having difficulty dealing with the fact that no teams can use a DH that can hit 40-plus home runs and play DH or the outfield," he said Tuesday after joining the Charlotte Knights. "I'm 37 going on 38. ... The way I've kept myself in shape, 38's still young."

You look at him and have to agree. Massive shoulders still taper to a narrow waist, and Canseco says he is stronger and faster than he was early in his career.

But he is now typecast as a DH, and more importantly to some people, as washed up.

That's why he's here.

Asked about the perception that he can no longer play in the field, he said, "That could be what the issue is right now. I'm going to try and play outfield as much as possible, and maybe there will be some opportunities not just in a DH role."

Canseco played for Charlotte's parent Chicago White Sox last season when Frank Thomas was hurt. Now Thomas is back and the Sox don't really have an opening. Charlotte manager Nick Capra figures Canseco can showcase his talents for other teams while he helps the Knights.

"We signed him to come in and help, and for him it'll be an opportunity for people to see him and see his abilities and skills at this level at this stage of his career," Capra said.

So now Canseco, 22 days older than Barry Bonds, gets to prove that he too can still play. That reaching 500 home runs (he has 462) is simple if only he gets one more chance. And if that doesn't come quickly?

"That's completely out of my control," he said.

"If I've got to be here all year, I'll be here."

sox_fan_4life
04-25-2002, 10:09 AM
sounds like he has a great attitude right now. If he is still around this fall the Sox will probably call him up to join the 40 man roster, if he is not needed sooner.