PDA

View Full Version : Fields Struggling at the Plate

ChiTownTrojan
03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
How does this affect the decision on what to do with Crede? If Fields continues to struggle throughout spring training, I say send him back to Charlottoe until he figures it out, and hope Crede holds up until then.

thomas35forever
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
We have a thread discussing the same thing with Crede in WTS. They're both in the same boat offensively so far. Let's see what happens.

doublem23
I would hope the Sox brass weighs more heavily his 443 PA in meaningul Major League games than 20 he's had so far in exhibition games this spring when making their decision

:dunno:

DeadMoney
How does this affect the decision on what to do with Crede? If Fields continues to struggle throughout spring training, I say send him back to Charlottoe until he figures it out, and hope Crede holds up until then.

Still a long way to go to improve. One way or the other, I do not foresee a roster with both Crede and Fields on it on Opening Day. Just have to wait and see what happens. As far as I'm concerned though, struggling in 6-7 games worth of at-bats doesn't make a player.

oeo
03-10-2008, 03:44 PM

:lol:

Crede is struggling just as much (if not more). And Crede has something like 3 errors at third already.

PolishPower83
03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I still think the Sox need to ship Crede. Fields has earned his shot and deserves to play third without the constant comparisons to Joe.

LauraJ14
03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I think that Crede has earned more of a right to start at 3rd than Josh. After all he was the starter until he got hurt and if he's healthy he is a superior defensive player than Fields.

jenn2080
03-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I think that Crede has earned more of a right to start at 3rd than Josh. After all he was the starter until he got hurt and if he's healthy he is a superior defensive player than Fields.

You still cannot compare the two. One has been in the game a bit longer than the other.

rdwj
03-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I still think the Sox need to ship Crede. Fields has earned his shot and deserves to play third without the constant comparisons to Joe.

I don't think he's earned anything. Joe got hurt and Fields filled in for him. His offensive numbers were nice, but he's never been anything more than a butcher at 3rd.

spawn
03-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Crede has also earned his spot. The only reason Fields got his shot is because of the injury to Crede. It should be his position to lose. Fields needs to prove he should be the everyday 3rd baseman.

Harry Chappas
03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I wonder how much the uncertaintly of 3rd base is affecting them (Fields and Joe). Not to give credence to what Konerko said, but it's got to be a little distracting for not only them but for the rest of the infield. I hope this gets resolved sooner than later. I'd rather it not be an ongoing issue into the regular season.

ChiTownTrojan
03-10-2008, 04:57 PM
I wonder how much the uncertaintly of 3rd base is affecting them (Fields and Joe). Not to give credence to what Konerko said, but it's got to be a little distracting for not only them but for the rest of the infield. I hope this gets resolved sooner than later. I'd rather it not be an ongoing issue into the regular season.
Are you suggesting that "Clutch Crede" could be wiliting under the pressure of a little competition? Say it ain't so!

kobo
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Fields needs to prove he should be the everyday 3rd baseman.
Didn't he do that last year?

Save McCuddy's
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I doubt it matters much at all. It's not a position that's too significant to the overall picture of infield defense. There's not a rapport for turning double plays that needs to be established the way that there is at 2nd and SS.

All I care is that we make the decision that gives us the most potent lineup and best overall team. I think that means starting the season with Crede at 3rd.

LoveYourSuit
03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I love Kenny Williams but this thing has been handled poorly. He should say nothing about the entire situation and let things play out at the end of Spring or when in fact a deal for Crede would have been done.

He spook too soon early in saying both guys would not be here together, therefore devaluating Crede's (alreay little) stock. Now he can't find a a fair deal and now puts Fields on behind the 8-ball saying that Crede could possibly start for us opening day.

I am happy with either guy starting for us (if both healthy) but both cannot be on this ML team. Crede is too expensive to ride the bench and is 99.9% gone next season and with Fields you are possibly going to loose another year of service time on him if he goes to waste down in the minors.

Contrary to what anyone says, this is not a good problem to have.

oeo
03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Fields needs to prove he should be the everyday 3rd baseman.

Crede needs to do the same. And even with Fields' early struggles, he's still playing better than Crede (both offensively and defensively).

Crede just came off back surgery...throw whatever he's done in the past out the window. Some of you are acting like he's having a monster spring. So far he's shown no ability with the bat, and 3 errors in ~5 games is not a very good sign for his defense either. Crede has been garbage to this point.

btrain929
03-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Crede needs to do the same. And even with Fields' early struggles, he's still playing better than Crede (both offensively and defensively).

Crede just came off back surgery...throw whatever he's done in the past out the window. Some of you are acting like he's having a monster spring. So far he's shown no ability with the bat, and 3 errors in ~5 games is not a very good sign for his defense either. Crede has been garbage to this point.

Chalk up another error today.

sircaffey1
03-10-2008, 05:50 PM

That's how I view it. Crede needs to prove that not only his health is 100% but his baseball skills as well. Afterall, he missed a ton of time without even picking up a bat. Fields is 100% operational. Crede is not.

LoveYourSuit
03-10-2008, 05:54 PM

yikes.

Looking more and more like him and Uribe should have been non-tendered ($10 million savings).

But it's still early in the Spring, the guy has been off for a long time and should be rusty.

BRDSR
03-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Could you explain the type of error by any chance? I know it's just on the radio, but I'm still curious. I've been saying that Crede's fielding is evidence that he's not 100% since Thursday. In my opinion, every day he goes out there in a White Sox uniform is 1) one day closer to him being the defacto starter because of his salary despite the fact that he is hampered by injury and 2) devalues his trade value.

Trade him now KW!

dickallen15
03-10-2008, 06:19 PM

Orlando Cabrera is hitting .217 with 2 errors this spring. Maybe Uribe should be back at SS. The first couple of weeks of spring numbers mean nothing, especially with a guy like Crede who hasn't played for about 4 months longer than everyone else. Ichiro is 0-17, maybe Seattle should trade him.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Orlando Cabrera is hitting .217 with 2 errors this spring. Maybe Uribe should be back at SS. The first couple of weeks of spring numbers mean nothing, especially with a guy like Crede who hasn't played for about 4 months longer than everyone else. Ichiro is 0-17, maybe Seattle should trade him.
It is a completely different situation. It is inarguably more important for Crede to prove himself than anyone else on our roster. He must prove he is healthy.

oeo
03-10-2008, 06:38 PM

Is Orlando Cabrera coming off back surgery?

As for Ichiro...please come talk to me when Crede even has half the track record as him. :lol:

Crede is coming off surgery and having a terrible spring to this point, when he usually has very good springs. That should concern you...

dickallen15
03-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Is Orlando Cabrera coming off back surgery?

As for Ichiro...please come talk to me when Crede even has half the track record as him. :lol:

Crede is coming off surgery and having a terrible spring to this point, when he usually has very good springs. That should concern you...

Once again, I'm just pointing out your ridiculous arguments about 20 spring training ABs with a guy who hasn't played since May last year. Please. These ABs mean nothing, like I was trying to get through your head with the others.

dickallen15
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
It is a completely different situation. It is inarguably more important for Crede to prove himself than anyone else on our roster. He must prove he is healthy.
Keep in mind the guy hasn't played since May. He's had about 5 games of ABs. Not even a week of ABs during a regular season. He should be rusty. If his back feels fine, he will be fine.

oeo
03-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Once again, I'm just pointing out your ridiculous arguments about 20 spring training ABs with a guy who hasn't played since May last year. Please. These ABs mean nothing, like I was trying to get through your head with the others.

They mean something when you're batting .091.

dickallen15
03-10-2008, 07:20 PM
They mean something when you're batting .091.
What about his replacement and is .105 average? If you judge 6 or 7 year veterans who have been out 10 months on 21 ABs you're even more ridiculous than I thought.

gna2112
03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Any potential teams interested in Crede, all they care about this ST is to see if he 100%. Stats mean nothing, as long as he is 100%. Joe is a proven, established veteran offensively and defensively and teams know that if they get a healthy Crede he will produce. I believe this bodes well in what we may get in return in a trade. Just my opinion and as always GO WHITESOX!!!!

David

Metalthrasher442
03-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Either of them starting at third would not bother me..as long as the one goes who gets us the best pitcher.

angiew
03-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Either of them starting at third would not bother me..as long as the one goes who gets us the best pitcher.

OMG, aint THAT the truth!:?: I'm WAY more concerned about our pitching at this point.:scratch:

oeo
03-10-2008, 08:33 PM
What about his replacement and is .105 average? If you judge 6 or 7 year veterans who have been out 10 months on 21 ABs you're even more ridiculous than I thought.

I'm not 'judging' anyone. I said I'm concerned, as you should be. Crede is coming off of surgery and showing no signs of life with the bat, and is even struggling in the field.

He says he feels good, well, he probably does. It's possible he also could have lost some ability. Hopefully he is just rusty, because I'd like to get something worth value in a trade.

03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Crede has also earned his spot. The only reason Fields got his shot is because of the injury to Crede. It should be his position to lose. Fields needs to prove he should be the everyday 3rd baseman.

bledsoe earned his spot, and the only reason Brady got a shot was cause of the injury to bledsoe. Should the Patriots just have handed the job over back to bledsoe when he got healthy in the 01 season when Brady was tearing it up?

Metalthrasher442
03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
bledsoe earned his spot, and the only reason Brady got a shot was cause of the injury to bledsoe. Should the Patriots just have handed the job over back to bledsoe when he got healthy in the 01 season when Brady was tearing it up?

I was waiting for an example of that caliber!

Good point too.

It's Dankerific
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I know Tom Brady, and Josh Fields, sir, is NO Tom Brady.

oeo
03-10-2008, 08:41 PM

He's an upgrade over Crede as Brady was over Bledsoe...

peelwonder
03-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Lol....what are you basing this argument on?

03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
you never know, give the guy a couple of years and then... BAM! he starts hitting with mike schmidt power and has a brooks robinson glove.

Lip Man 1
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
OEO:

For what it's worth Crede made a fabulous all out diving stop today and threw to first to get the runner.

Lip

champagne030
03-10-2008, 11:22 PM

You're joking right? Crede makes a few errors the first 2 weeks of ST, after not playing in 9 months and you **** yourself? Fields is a ****ing butcher in the field at this point of his career. And his K rate makes Crede look like Nellie Fox. You might want to think about rehab, ASAP........

spawn
03-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Didn't he do that last year?
Umm...no. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had him playing left field. The guy was a butcher at 3rd base last year. But because he hit 23 HR's, people seem to consider him the next Brooks Robinson. I'm not saying Fields isn't a good player. But I'll take a healthy Joe Crede over Josh Fields at this point.

soxfanatlanta
03-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Umm...no. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had him playing left field. The guy was a butcher at 3rd base last year. But because he hit 23 HR's, people seem to consider him the next Brooks Robinson. I'm not saying Fields isn't a good player. But I'll take a healthy Joe Crede over Josh Fields at this point.

You have just insulted a lot of butchers out there.

I agree with you though; Crede, if healthy should get the nod. Send Fields to Charlotte to work on his defense. He needs more time.

ChiTownTrojan
03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm of the opinion that Crede deserves more of the benefit of the doubt than Fields. Even though he's hitting below .100, he's a veteran who has hit pretty well in the majors for a long time now. I think you can chalk a lot of this up to him "working off the rust." Fields, on the other hand, is something like a .230 career hitter. Yes, he hits for power, but I'd rather have Crede and his .280 average, 20 HR, and gold glove defense than a .230 hitter than hits 30-35 HRs.

Iwritecode
03-11-2008, 10:27 AM
So let's say we keep Crede and trade Fields. At the end of the year Joe walks and we are left at best with a draft pick and no third basemen.

Then what? :dunno:

soxfan13
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
So let's say we keep Crede and trade Fields. At the end of the year Joe walks and we are left at best with a draft pick and no third basemen.

Then what? :dunno:

Then people here bitch about why the Sox keep trading our young talent(what they have of it) away.

spiffie
03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm of the opinion that Crede deserves more of the benefit of the doubt than Fields. Even though he's hitting below .100, he's a veteran who has hit pretty well in the majors for a long time now. I think you can chalk a lot of this up to him "working off the rust." Fields, on the other hand, is something like a .230 career hitter. Yes, he hits for power, but I'd rather have Crede and his .280 average, 20 HR, and gold glove defense than a .230 hitter than hits 30-35 HRs.
Joe Crede has had one full season with an average higher than .261. His career average, over nearly 2,500 AB's is .259. Joe Crede's ceiling is a .280 average, when perfectly healthy and at his best.

Taliesinrk
03-11-2008, 11:29 AM
You have just insulted a lot of butchers out there.

Please tell me you forgot the teal there, right?

soxfanatlanta
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Please tell me you forgot the teal there, right?

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/uploads/sam_the_butcher.jpg

No really, I'm pissed.

:happybday