PDA

View Full Version : Position battles

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
In the outfield, we have two people who seem guaranteed a spot, and three others trying to win the third spot. Quentin seems to be behind schedule to make the Opening Day roster, so that leaves Anderson and Owens trying to win the position. Based on performance thus far, plus potential ability, Anderson would seem to be in the lead, but given Ozzie and Kenny's attitude toward him, that might not be true.

At second, Richar is having back problems, and Ramirez doesn't look ready on defense. That would mean that Uribe is the default frontrunner for the position. However, Ramirez seems to be ahead of where people expected him to be offensively, and if he improves defensively he might be in the mix.

So what would our lineup look like if Opening Day were tomorrow? I think you probably want to put Cabrera at the top if Owens isn't in the lineup. I don't think Swisher would be a good candidate for #2 because of his propensity to strikeout, but then again, who else could fill that role? The prospect of Uribe and Anderson at the bottom of the order isn't exactly thrilling, especially if we get the BA of early 2006.

What are peoples thoughts on these battles and the current status of the lineup?

BRDSR
03-10-2008, 03:17 PM
So what would our lineup look like if Opening Day were tomorrow? I think you probably want to put Cabrera at the top if Owens isn't in the lineup.

Is there any argument that Owens should be DH against left-handed pitchers? His numbers against lefties aren't very good, but Thome is pretty much worthless against lefties and that would at least solve the lead-off batter problem against lefties (assuming Owens can get on at least 1/3 of the time...his OBP was only .318 against lefties last year).

ChiTownTrojan
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Is there any argument that Owens should be DH against left-handed pitchers? His numbers against lefties aren't very good, but Thome is pretty much worthless against lefties and that would at least solve the lead-off batter problem against lefties (assuming Owens can get on at least 1/3 of the time...his OBP was only .318 against lefties last year).
Ozuna will be leading off against lefties. We wouldn't need Owens in the lineup.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
If Quentin and Richar are healthy...

RHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJP
Fields
Quentin
Richar

LHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Konerko
Dye
Thome
Fields
AJP
Quentin
Richar

If Richar is injured, insert Uribe until Ramirez is ready. If Quentin is injured, insert BA in CF.

sox1970
03-10-2008, 03:53 PM
^

How about no Thome against lefties at all?

And I'd like to see Cabrera batting second no matter what.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
^

How about no Thome against lefties at all?

And I'd like to see Cabrera batting second no matter what.
Who on this roster is a good fit to play DH instead of Jimbo?

sox1970
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM

OF: Swisher-Owens-Quentin
DH: Dye

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I'll still take Quentin/Swisher/Dye with Jimbo at DH.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Why not Swisher-Anderson-Quentin with Dye at DH against lefties, assuming BA continues to have a good spring and makes the roster?

Also, why is everyone so keen on putting Swisher at 1 or 2? I realize he walks a lot, but that's the only trait that would make him a fit. He doesn't make a lot of contact, and his power would be better used lower in the lineup.

sox1970
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Thome homered off Bedard, so I guess he can lefties once in a while.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Why not Swisher-Anderson-Quentin with Dye at DH against lefties, assuming BA continues to have a good spring and makes the roster?

Also, why is everyone so keen on putting Swisher at 1 or 2? I realize he walks a lot, but that's the only trait that would make him a fit. He doesn't make a lot of contact, and his power would be better used lower in the lineup.
Because he gets on base a lot. That's it.

balke
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Ozuna, but then you are losing all potential power.

ChiTownTrojan
03-10-2008, 04:28 PM

I like this a lot (assuming Anderson sticks). Also put Ozuna at 2B so you've got your leadoff guy.