PDA

View Full Version : Uribe

LITTLE NELL
03-10-2008, 05:52 AM
According to both Chicago papers this A.M. it looks like Uribe will be starting the season as our 2B. I havent seen any spring training games on TV, so how does Uribe look at 2B and has he lost any weight?

soxfandy
03-10-2008, 09:32 AM
You can not be serious my friend. I've seen a few games this spring and this is what I have seen. Uribe is still chubby, he hasn't lost weight...maybe even has gained some weight. Defensively he looks fine which isn't a surprise, but at the plate it looks like he hasn't changed. He still can hit the first pitch fastball, but swings at everything and can't hit an offspeed pitch to save his life. It is weird to hear that in the papers, because they interviewed cora during the game and cora seemed to talk about alexei has if he already made the team. I dunno maybe I just misinterpreted what joey had to say. That being said, I believe I will lose my mind if uribe is starting for us. I would be alot happier if he filled in off the bench everytime our ss or 2b needed a day off!!!

soxrme
03-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Richar according to the Tribune is bothered by a bad back, Rameriz doesn't appear to be ready yet, that leaves Uribe by default. Maybe we can trade a single A minor leager of Iguci.

LITTLE NELL
03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Fot the life of me I still dont know why we traded Iguchi, we gave up on him way too early.

whitem0nkey
03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
It is weird to hear that in the papers, because they interviewed cora during the game and cora seemed to talk about alexei has if he already made the team. I dunno maybe I just misinterpreted what joey had to say.

I got the same thing from listening to that. and if i remember right I think he said something about alexei being here for a long time.

Jerko
03-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Fields, Uribe, Cabrera, Konerko? Take the first letter of each name and that's my opinion of that starting infield. I'll be cringing on anything not hit to short.

btrain929
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Fields, Uribe, Cabrera, Konerko? Take the first letter of each name and that's my opinion of that starting infield. I'll be cringing on anything not hit to short.

???

Fields I can understand, although I still believe we've been spoiled by watching Crede and Fields will be an average MLB defender at 3B. Uribe sucks at hitting, but he will play above average defense. And Konerko is very good with the glove at 1B (I'd say a tad above average).

Am I missing something here?

balke
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Well that's about the dumbest thing I've read all day. A SS's range and arm at 2B, one of the better defensive 1Bman in baseball, a GG SS, and Fields is nothing to complain about defensively. Especially when you consider Crede hasn't been traded yet, and he might even start the season with the Sox.

Uribe to start at 2B is fine with me. Doesn't even mean that much really, since that position will be shared a lot between Uribe, Ramirez, Richar, and Ozuna at Ozzies discretion. With Ozzie as manager you could see 100+ AB's a piece.

michned
03-10-2008, 10:40 AM
You can not be serious my friend. I've seen a few games this spring and this is what I have seen. Uribe is still chubby, he hasn't lost weight...maybe even has gained some weight. Defensively he looks fine which isn't a surprise, but at the plate it looks like he hasn't changed. He still can hit the first pitch fastball, but swings at everything and can't hit an offspeed pitch to save his life. It is weird to hear that in the papers, because they interviewed cora during the game and cora seemed to talk about alexei has if he already made the team. I dunno maybe I just misinterpreted what joey had to say. That being said, I believe I will lose my mind if uribe is starting for us. I would be alot happier if he filled in off the bench everytime our ss or 2b needed a day off!!!

I have the exact same observations. From the games I've seen, he can more than hold his own at 2nd, like he did in '04, but he actually looks heavier to me and he still chases that first pitch more often than not.

Huisj
03-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Swisher, Owens, Dye. Take the first three letters of those, and that's what I think of our starting outfield. They're going to be running all over the sod that's out in the outfield. Good thing we have Roger Bossard around to keep it growing. Everytime someone catches a flyball, they'll be running on the sod, and they'll still have to run on the sod when they field base hits or doubles. Heck, even on homeruns, the outfielders will be standing on the sod watching the ball go over the fence. This could be trouble.

And don't even get me started on how bad the rotation is going to be. I can't figure out how to make any word at all out of the letters B, C, V, D, and F. No vowels in the starting pitching staff? Uh oh. Total nonsense.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Ugh. Get ready for more bull**** from media personnel (Merkin, DJ, Hawk) about how he can "carry a team."

Jerko
03-10-2008, 11:25 AM
You guys think just because Uribe has a SS range and arm he'll be a good defensive 2B? Angles are different, and according to WSI he's nothing but a fat lazy piece of ****. I guess he gets skinnier when he plays D. And sorry, from what I've seen, Fields at 3B scares the bejesus out of me. I've always defended Konerko's defense on these boards and I was always pissed when he got taken out for a defensive replacement in the past, so I shouldn't have included him. But any grounder to 3rd or 2nd is going to be an adventure IMO.

Good one Huisj.

Jurr
03-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Uribe will be fine at 2B. I just worry that he has done nothing to change the book that has been compiled on his hitting. Every at bat seems to be a fastball high and outside followed by offspeed pitches down and in. He's a great mistake hitter, but that doesn't happen enough throughout a season.

I don't know why, but I still love the guy. Maybe one day he'll develop an eye at the plate.

Jerko
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Uribe will be fine at 2B. I just worry that he has done nothing to change the book that has been compiled on his hitting. Every at bat seems to be a fastball high and outside followed by offspeed pitches down and in. He's a great mistake hitter, but that doesn't happen enough throughout a season.

I don't know why, but I still love the guy. Maybe one day he'll develop an eye at the plate.

I hope you're right because even though I dissed him earlier I think he's our best bet right now. I just hope he doesn't bring his offensive woes (if he does struggle) out to the field with him, ESPECIALLY while learning a different position. That will not help at all. Hey maybe he'll surprise us all, who knows?

Jurr
03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I hope you're right because even though I dissed him earlier I think he's our best bet right now. I just hope he doesn't bring his offensive woes (if he does struggle) out to the field with him, ESPECIALLY while learning a different position. That will not help at all. Hey maybe he'll surprise us all, who knows?
I remember him fondly in '04, when he would absolutely RAKE. Of course, that's when the book wasn't out on him.

The thing I hope for is A.)he personally feels a need to prove himself since the Sox showed that his previous 2 seasons weren't acceptable and B.) he has his personal issues out of the way (legal stuff). He needs to focus a bit more on his job, and there's a lot of talent behind him just waiting to take his spot if he falters. I still think Alexei Ramirez is going to shine if given the chance.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Doesn't the decision to put Uribe at 2B make the Garland trade even worse? What would you rather have: Garland, Uribe, Richar OR Floyd, Cabrera, Uribe.

God help me if they resign Cabrera; the only thing that can salvage this deal is letting Cabrera walk and taking the draft picks.

balke
03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Doesn't the decision to put Uribe at 2B make the Garland trade even worse? What would you rather have: Garland, Uribe, Richar OR Floyd, Cabrera, Uribe.

God help me if they resign Cabrera; the only thing that can salvage this deal is letting Cabrera walk and taking the draft picks.

Offensively I'd rather have the latter, pitching wise I'd rather have Garland. I'd also rather have Cabrera at SS next season if the Sox can get him.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Offensively I'd rather have the latter, pitching wise I'd rather have Garland. I'd also rather have Cabrera at SS next season if the Sox can get him.
To me, the difference between Floyd and Garland (in both ERA and IP) is a gulf compared to the difference between Uribe/Richar or Ramirez and Cabrera/Uribe.

balke
03-10-2008, 12:11 PM
You guys think just because Uribe has a SS range and arm he'll be a good defensive 2B? Angles are different, and according to WSI he's nothing but a fat lazy piece of ****. I guess he gets skinnier when he plays D. And sorry, from what I've seen, Fields at 3B scares the bejesus out of me. I've always defended Konerko's defense on these boards and I was always pissed when he got taken out for a defensive replacement in the past, so I shouldn't have included him. But any grounder to 3rd or 2nd is going to be an adventure IMO.

Good one Huisj.

The "angles being different" doesn't mean a damn thing. Uribe defensively will be more than fine. He's been a 2Bman before, its not like he's learning a new position. Go look up his stats at 2B, they look more impressive than his SS stats defensively. Power wise he will be one of the best in the AL. He needs to work on OBP and avg., and that's about his only weakness when it comes to 2B. Baseball players being fat? Stop the presses.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
The "angles being different" doesn't mean a damn thing. Uribe defensively will be more than fine. He's been a 2Bman before, its not like he's learning a new position. Go look up his stats at 2B, they look more impressive than his SS stats defensively. Power wise he will be one of the best in the AL. He needs to work on OBP and avg., and that's about his only weakness when it comes to 2B. Baseball players being fat? Stop the presses.
His SLG% of .394 last season would have put him 10th out of 13 2nd basemen with 400 PA.

balke
03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
To me, the difference between Floyd and Garland (in both ERA and IP) is a gulf compared to the difference between Uribe/Richar or Ramirez and Cabrera/Uribe.

One of the worst offensive teams in the league wasn't going to come back without upgrading offense. There are now 4 guys fighting for 2B, which hopefully means one will pop-out of the mix with a respectable avg. and power. (Ozuna should especially against LH pitching).

Meanwhile the Sox upgraded SS by a ton offensively, and defensively. Meaning perhaps an increase of .050 or more in avg. on the infield with what I anticipate to be the best SS/2B defensive combo for the Sox possibly this century thus far.

Garland was gone next season no matter what. Rather than "Let him walk and get the prospects" as you suggest with Cabrera, why not get a GGer who you have the chance to resign instead?

BainesHOF
03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
It'll be a shame if Richar can't start.

Starting Uribe at second will be a sign we're headed for a .500 season or worse.

balke
03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
His SLG% of .394 last season would have put him 10th out of 13 2nd basemen with 400 PA.

Also would've had the 2nd most HR's of any 2B in the AL. Considering his career avg. SLG% is .427, I expect more this season.

balke
03-10-2008, 12:27 PM
It'll be a shame if Richar can't start.

Starting Uribe at second will be a sign we're headed for a .500 season or worse.

What's the logic you're using there? Whoever starts there is splitting up a ton of AB's with Ozuna and another 2Bman.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Also would've had the 2nd most HR's of any 2B in the AL. Considering his career avg. SLG% is .427, I expect more this season.
Power is more than HR. .427 would have bumped him up to 9th out of 13.

Huisj
03-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Power is more than HR. .427 would have bumped him up to 9th out of 13.

His Slg% is low partly because his batting average is so low. If he added a few normal singles, his average would bump up and his slugging percentage would go up the same amount. Instead, he just swings as hard as he can at everything, so of the few hits he gets, a lot of them end up as doubles of homers--33% of his hits last year were extra base hits.

Isn't there some stat somewhere called Isolated Power that's basically slugging percentage minus batting average? It kind of show power apart from singles. I wonder where Uribe ranks on that among SS last year. Not that that makes him a good player, just shows that he has power but no smarts at the plate.