PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cowley could use a day off...

Craig Grebeck
03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Jerry Owens: If speed kills, Owens is a serial killer. He is a true leadoff hitter, with Kenny Lofton-like potential. Besides adding 10 pounds of muscle during the offseason, his confidence is sky-high. A tweaked groin has slowed him down a bit, but he should be fine.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/832870,CST-SPT-sox09.article

I'm not quite sure if Joe knows who Kenny Lofton is, or that by the time Lofton was Owens' current age he had posted two very good seasons. Owens is 27; Lofton's age 27 season was the best of his career as he batted .349/.412/.536 and came close to winning MVP.

Brilliant!

chisox77
03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Nothing wrong with some optimism. Owens should at least be an improved player for the White Sox.

:cool:

Craig Grebeck
03-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Nothing wrong with some optimism. Owens should at least be an improved player for the White Sox.

:cool:
There's optimism and there's hyperbolic, inane statements.

Soxzilla
03-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Well jeez, let's get our nipples all in a pinch because the guy has an opinion.

I think this thread belongs here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_union) moreso than WSI.

DumpJerry
03-09-2008, 04:06 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought Cowley had laid into the Sox for an imagined weakness.

Why does he need a day off for saying what many of us have been saying about Owens? Have you ever heard of a ballplayer having a breakout year? Anything is possible.

Craig Grebeck
03-09-2008, 04:12 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought Cowley had laid into the Sox for an imagined weakness.

Why does he need a day off for saying what many of us have been saying about Owens? Have you ever heard of a ballplayer having a breakout year? Anything is possible.
If you think Jerry Owens has Kenny Lofton potential, fine, agree to disagree. What has Jerry done in the minors or majors to earn such a distinction? Kenny Lofton, at Jerry's age, was a star player.

dickallen15
03-09-2008, 06:58 PM

If the White Sox thought Owens was the second coming of Lofton why would they throw $75 million at Torii Hunter? Why would KW go out of his way to mention how Swisher was going to be a CFer? He also mentioned he specifically targeted Quentin and gave up a pretty good prospect to get him. While its a possibility Owens has a "breakout" year, the probability is he is just a medioce ballplayer. If he continues to have groin issues, or any issue with his legs, even if they are slight, he becomes worthless.

Craig Grebeck
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
It would have made a lot more sense if Cowley had said Owens had Lofton's potential, sans the ability to hit for average, power, and pitch recognition. Speed and infield singles, yep!

Taliesinrk
03-09-2008, 08:10 PM
How many times are you going to rip Owens on here? I mean honestly - we get your opinion. Furthermore - and I don't know how many times we need to explain this - but Owens (development wise) is more like a 23 year old. :angry:

Craig Grebeck
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
How many times are you going to rip Owens on here? I mean honestly - we get your opinion. Furthermore - and I don't know how many times we need to explain this - but Owens (development wise) is more like a 23 year old. :angry:
I'm not ripping Owens. He is what he is - a serviceable bench player. It's misinformed and misguided sportswriters that presume because he is fleet of foot he is a "true lead off hitter." I'm just trying to figure out what similarities Cowley sees here. I'm absolutely bewildered by such comparisons. They are both fast - that's it.

How do you figure he is just 23?

santo=dorf
03-09-2008, 08:50 PM
So Jerry's slow development shouldn't be held against him?

When Jimmy Morris AKA "The Rookie" made his debut at 35 years old, should the Devil Rays have viewed him as a 22 year old prospect based on development?

TheCommander
03-09-2008, 08:53 PM

I'm not quite sure if Joe knows who Kenny Lofton is, or that by the time Lofton was Owens' current age he had posted two very good seasons. Owens is 27; Lofton's age 27 season was the best of his career as he batted .349/.412/.536 and came close to winning MVP.

Brilliant!

Maybe he meant to say Kenny Loggins-like potential.

WhiteSox5187
03-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm not ripping Owens. He is what he is - a serviceable bench player. It's misinformed and misguided sportswriters that presume because he is fleet of foot he is a "true lead off hitter." I'm just trying to figure out what similarities Cowley sees here. I'm absolutely bewildered by such comparisons. They are both fast - that's it.

How do you figure he is just 23?
I think what his point is is that Owens didn't really play baseball at a very organized level UNTIL college, so he started playing at eighteen where as other guys are getting drafted at that age...Owens is old, fine, but he's still a rookie with a lot of potential. He didn't have a good average last year, but past performances are not necessarily indicitive of future results. His biggest problem right now is that he seems to get injured a lot and that's no good.

As for the infield singles bit, Owens job as a leadoff man is to get on base, if he has an OBP of .350 and scores 80 runs, I don't care if he doesn't have any extra basehits. His job should be to get on, if he's on first either have O-Cab move him into scoring position or move himself into scoring position by stealing bases and like Thome, Paulie and Dye try to drive him in.

Taliesinrk
03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
So Jerry's slow development shouldn't be held against him?

When Jimmy Morris AKA "The Rookie" made his debut at 35 years old, should the Devil Rays have viewed him as a 22 year old prospect based on development?

No, you've missed the point. The article is pitting one player against another. Craig Grebeck compares the two, their development, and their subsequent ages along the way. I am merely noting (besides his current status as president of the IHJO - I Hate Jerry Owens - Club), that it is an unfair and incorrect comparison. This is because at 27 years of age, Lofton had more years of playing baseball and development than did Owens.

Furthermore, why is it in these Owens vs. Quentin/"the world" threads are my posts continually taken out of context? Their points are often times missed. Instead posts like this twist what I've said, and are attacked with anaolgies that don't pertain to the current topic? Sorry, it's just frustrating. It just is annoying that people don't want to give Owens a shot after the way he finished last year, and without a better fit (expecially speaking from a lead-off perspective). Give the guy a shot.

Craig Grebeck
03-10-2008, 12:49 AM
This is because at 27 years of age, Lofton had more years of playing baseball and development than did Owens.
Not exactly. Kenny Lofton played baseball for one season at University of Arizona. He "didn't see much playing time" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Lofton). They were both 23 years old in A, with Lofton making his debut at age 24 to Owens' 25. By the age of 27, yes, Lofton had more playing time - because he was good.

Owens' September was a complete mirage. That's irrefutable. Check the peripherals.

munchman33
03-10-2008, 12:57 AM
No, you've missed the point. The article is pitting one player against another. Craig Grebeck compares the two, their development, and their subsequent ages along the way. I am merely noting (besides his current status as president of the IHJO - I Hate Jerry Owens - Club), that it is an unfair and incorrect comparison. This is because at 27 years of age, Lofton had more years of playing baseball and development than did Owens.

You're clearly missing the obvious here. At 27, Jerry has entered the prime year for a speed guy. He'll only get slower after this season. And he still has no ****ing clue how to handle a bat. He doesn't hit for average, he can't bunt, and he can't directional hit. He's a freakin' slap hitter and he doesn't know how to hit a ball where he wants it. Give it up. The guy belongs on a National League bench deep with other guys that can hit so that he can simply pinch run. He's Orlando Palmeiro, only without the ability to hit as well as Orlando Palmeiro.

Optipessimism
03-10-2008, 01:05 AM

Brilliant!

I think it means that Jerry will play for about 14 different organizations. He already has two under his belt, and IMO if Quentin and Anderson get fair shakes they could push him to his third.

chaerulez
03-10-2008, 03:41 AM
Jerry Owens is and always has been basically an one tool player. And until he proves otherwise, he is a serviceable utility outfielder.