PDA

View Full Version : Need a Favor about Stats.

doctor30th
04-25-2002, 06:39 AM
Hey I was just curious. Does anyone know how many K's in the NL are the result of striking out the Pitcher.

I'd really like to know how much this inflates thier numbers. If at all.

Soxboyrob
04-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Hey I was just curious. Does anyone know how many K's in the NL are the result of striking out the Pitcher.

I'd really like to know how much this inflates thier numbers. If at all.

I was able to find it for the 2001 NL season by going to 2001 NL hitting on ESPN.com and then clicking on the split for pitchers batting. It said that pitchers in the NL struck out 1,835 times. I'll let you compare that to the total number of K's in the NL and see how it measures up.

doctor30th
04-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Well I don't know if it has any significant at all but.

In the AL there was a total of 14,474 Ks.
In the NL there was a total of 17930 Ks.

1835 Ks were pitchers which is 10.23% of all strikeouts in the NL.

An significance, I have no idea. I just can't stand when there is a guy on second and third with 2 outs and they walk the 8th place hitter in the 3rd inning so they can face the pitcher who of course inevitably strikes out to end the inning.

Paulwny
04-25-2002, 09:19 AM
I just can't stand when there is a guy on second and third with 2 outs and they walk the 8th place hitter in the 3rd inning so they can face the pitcher who of course inevitably strikes out to end the inning.

That's why I usually don't watch nl games.
This reminds me of Hank Aguirre, pitcher in the 50's-60's who claimed he was hitting .333, one hit in 3 years.

Iwritecode
04-25-2002, 09:52 AM
I just can't stand when there is a guy on second and third with 2 outs and they walk the 8th place hitter in the 3rd inning so they can face the pitcher who of course inevitably strikes out to end the inning.

The first game back at Wrigley after 9/11 last year this exact situation occured. Cubs were facing the Astros and they walked the #8 guy to get to the pitcher. Then he promptly hit a nice little single over the second baseman. I was at that game and was cheering that play. :D:

Procol Harum
04-25-2002, 10:17 AM
All of this brings out the glories of the DH. Nothing makes me want to upchuck quicker than hearing the George Will-ish more- traditionalist-than-thou crowd start bleating about the so-called "purity of the game" and the need to eliminate the DH. The near-sure out that is the pitcher always seemed to compromise the game in my mind--and I'm a geezer who grew up in pre-DH days.

To me, having the pitcher hit (at least since the olden, olden days before pitchers became SO specialized)is analagous to having a placekicker in football having to play QB for one play every series--and that play having to be a pass. We all know the result there would be an on-purpose incompletion or a safe, quick swing pass.

Soxboyrob
04-25-2002, 10:25 AM
I've never understood the NL-lovers' constant clinging to the fact that it's so sacred that their pitcher's hit. For one thing, the managers in that league can't wait to pinch hit for the pitcher the earliest that it can possibly be done. Then, it's supposedly doubly strategic that they do a double switch with the batting order. Whoop dee doo. If it's so danged sacred, why are pitchers so constantly pulled for another hitter anyway? Isn't it about the same thing to put a pinch hitter in the lineup or a DH? All it means is that the NL teams probably need to carry another hitter and one less pitcher to cover for the 2 or sometimes 3 pinch hitters a team might use in a full game.

voodoochile
04-25-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
All of this brings out the glories of the DH. Nothing makes me want to upchuck quicker than hearing the George Will-ish more- traditionalist-than-thou crowd start bleating about the so-called "purity of the game" and the need to eliminate the DH. The near-sure out that is the pitcher always seemed to compromise the game in my mind--and I'm a geezer who grew up in pre-DH days.

To me, having the pitcher hit (at least since the olden, olden days before pitchers became SO specialized)is analagous to having a placekicker in football having to play QB for one play every series--and that play having to be a pass. We all know the result there would be an on-purpose incompletion or a safe, quick swing pass.

Now that would suck. Can't you just picture the draws that would get called and the ensuing arguments...

Ref: "Offense- intentional running of the kicker. That's 10 yards, and loss of down."

Coach: "he was under pressure."

But, back to baseball...

Those 1800+ strikeouts are mitigated by the number of PH's the team uses. Relievers almost never bat (unless Baylor is managing). Starters probably average around 2 AB's a game over all. Which is about half of the rest of the lineup.

Still, there are more K's in the NL even without the pitcher stats. Maybe that is due to the stronger lineups over all in the AL where offense is prized over defense. DH's are normally very strong hitters - guys who get on base a lot and drive in a lot of runs maybe that has something to do with it...