PDA

View Full Version : New player headshots are up

Sockinchisox
03-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Not really sure if this warrants a topic, but they are fun to look at.

WhiteSox5187
03-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Link?

Sockinchisox
03-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Link?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=cws

KRS1
03-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Is it just me or does it look like Swisher's eyes are veering off in two different directions?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_430897.jpg

goon
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Is it just me or does it look like Swisher's eyes are veering off in two different directions?

Yeah, they do a bit, though, a lot of people have eyes like that. I know I kind of do.

On another note, I'd say more than 3/4 of the 25 man roster have smiles on their faces, which is pretty funny. I think it's the first time I've seen Konerko smile in a headshot.

Martinigirl
03-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Why is there a picture of a Red Sox jersey next to Gavin Floyd's picture?

KRS1
03-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Why is there a picture of a Red Sox jersey next to Gavin Floyd's pictures.

Good question.

Jjav829
03-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Why is there a picture of a Red Sox jersey next to Gavin Floyd's pictures.

Because the whitesox.com webmaster knows about the upcoming Gavin Floyd for Josh Beckett trade. Everyone wants Gavin Floyd, after all.

oeo
03-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Because the whitesox.com webmaster knows about the upcoming Gavin Floyd for Josh Beckett trade. Everyone wants Gavin Floyd, after all.

:rolling:

Jjav829
03-08-2008, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your input

Huisj
03-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Oh my, Boone Logan's goatee! ahhh

And why does Ozuna's picture almost look like a painting? The lighting is weird.

BoysMom3
03-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Can BA's hair possibly be any shorter? Bring back the curls!!:mad:

VenturaFan23
03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Was Wassermann having a really bad day when they took his picture?? :o:

Lorenzo Barcelo
03-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Let my sig do the talking for him.

oeo
03-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your input

You're welcome. The mocking of Kenny over that quote was old the day it started. How the hell do you know who has called about Gavin Floyd? :?:

With the stuff he has, it wouldn't surprise me at all if teams were asking about his availability. "Stuff" is always highly sought after.

Jjav doesn't like Floyd, though, so that somehow explains it...

ViPeRx007
03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Did they take these photos at like 6 AM or something? Most of them look like they just rolled out of bed.

angiew
03-08-2008, 11:46 PM
I agree, most of them are horrible! Some even unrecognizable.....googly eyes, crappy facial hair, sour faces....and is it me, or does Uribe look like he's gained like 20lbs in the off season??!:?: Crede's is a LITTLE better than last years, Fields looks like the class nerd, and I don't think Quentin's looks anything like the guy! It's obvious they don't really give a **** how they look in those things:D:

Jjav829
03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
You're welcome. The mocking of Kenny over that quote was old the day it started. How the hell do you know who has called about Gavin Floyd? :?:

With the stuff he has, it wouldn't surprise me at all if teams were asking about his availability. "Stuff" is always highly sought after.

Jjav doesn't like Floyd, though, so that somehow explains it...

GMAB. :rolleyes:

“Well, they’re in the back-end of the rotation now, but in 29 other rooms around the building right here these are two guys that everyone would want, and most people in the industry view as top-of-the-rotation guys.

It was a ridiculous statement to make. Do you really think 29 other teams would want Gavin Floyd? In fact, I can prove to you very easily that there aren't 29 other teams. The Phillies gave up on him and traded him away for one year of Freddy Garcia. The Phillies think nothing of Gavin Floyd.

Besides that, Floyd is not a pitcher that every other team covets. You know who 29 other teams covet? Tim Lincecum. Matt Cain. Yovani Gallardo. Floyd is a 25-year-old who has already busted out of one organization and has a 6.3 ERA in his limited major league time.

No team pines for pitchers like that. You know what teams do for guys like that? They say "Ehhh, he's worth a shot if he's cheap. Maybe we can fix him." They don't go hounding KW and following his every move trying to pry him away.

But oeo likes Floyd, though, so that means that comment isn't ridiculous... (I can play that pointless game, too)

goon
03-09-2008, 09:29 AM
It was a ridiculous statement to make. Do you really think 29 other teams would want Gavin Floyd? In fact, I can prove to you very easily that there aren't 29 other teams. The Phillies gave up on him and traded him away for one year of Freddy Garcia. The Phillies think nothing of Gavin Floyd.

I don't really know if that's true. There are times when organizations cut their losses with talented prospects because they just aren't doing well in their system. Case and point, look at the Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens trade. Phillips did well at the ML level, got hurt, then was back and forth between the AAA and the Majors for the next few years. Though he played well in AAA, he struggled when brought up. Still, when the Indians traded him away, I'm sure they thought he was a talented player, they just didn't see him as a fit, he was getting frustrated with his playing time, etc.

I'm not saying 29 teams want Gavin Floyd, but I'm sure if the Sox cut him, someone would take a chance on him.

#1swisher
03-09-2008, 10:50 AM

I couldn't link onto the pix, but this picture of Swisher...what's he trying to say???
I'm sleepy

Jjav829
03-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't really know if that's true. There are times when organizations cut their losses with talented prospects because they just aren't doing well in their system. Case and point, look at the Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens trade. Phillips did well at the ML level, got hurt, then was back and forth between the AAA and the Majors for the next few years. Though he played well in AAA, he struggled when brought up. Still, when the Indians traded him away, I'm sure they thought he was a talented player, they just didn't see him as a fit, he was getting frustrated with his playing time, etc.

I'm not saying 29 teams want Gavin Floyd, but I'm sure if the Sox cut him, someone would take a chance on him.

Yes, of course someone would want the current Gavin Floyd. There is always some team willing to take a chance on a young player who hasn't succeeded at the major league level. Case in point, well, the White Sox. Gavin Floyd wasn't exactly a proven commodity at the major league level when acquired from the Phillies. In fact, he was quite awful in his limited time with the Phillies. He even struggled in the minors between those major league stints. That didn't deter Kenny Williams from taking a chance on Floyd.

But there is quite a difference from saying that at least 1 of 29 teams would be willing to take a chance on a guy, and saying that all 29 other teams would want to take that chance, even if many of them have significantly better pitchers at the major and minor league level.

TheOldRoman
03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
No team pines for pitchers like that. You know what teams do for guys like that? They say "Ehhh, he's worth a shot if he's cheap. Maybe we can fix him." They don't go hounding KW and following his every move trying to pry him away.
OEO is right, and your comment is dead on without you realizing it. It might have been a grandstanding comment, but Kenny was 100% right in what he said. He didn't say anyone would give up top flight talent for Floyd. He didn't say anyone would sign him to a giant contract and pencil him in for the #1 spot in the rotation. But lots of other teams would want Floyd. He has the talent that will make other GMs say "lets bring him in and see what we can do". If Floyd were cut tomorrow, he would be picked up by someone else right away. THAT is what Kenny was saying. Floyd and Danks aren't Arnie Munoz, they can be much better.

And I haven't gotten the notion that OEO likes Floyd all that much. He is just a lot more rational than most other posters (and I am not digging at you). He thinks that maybe Floyd's last several starts of the year do mean something, and you can't write off his career at this point. He also realizes that Jerry Owens might not be the single worst player of all time if he ends up starting the whole year, which probably 95% of people on this board seem to think. Floyd can improve and Owens can improve, too.

Jjav829
03-09-2008, 12:53 PM
OEO is right, and your comment is dead on without you realizing it. It might have been a grandstanding comment, but Kenny was 100% right in what he said. He didn't say anyone would give up top flight talent for Floyd. He didn't say anyone would sign him to a giant contract and pencil him in for the #1 spot in the rotation. But lots of other teams would want Floyd. He has the talent that will make other GMs say "lets bring him in and see what we can do". If Floyd were cut tomorrow, he would be picked up by someone else right away. THAT is what Kenny was saying. Floyd and Danks aren't Arnie Munoz, they can be much better.

And I haven't gotten the notion that OEO likes Floyd all that much. He is just a lot more rational than most other posters (and I am not digging at you). He thinks that maybe Floyd's last several starts of the year do mean something, and you can't write off his career at this point. He also realizes that Jerry Owens might not be the single worst player of all time if he ends up starting the whole year, which probably 95% of people on this board seem to think. Floyd and improve and Owens can improve, too.

I understand all that and I'm not in any way trying to imply that's what he said. But look at the second part of the sentence...

most people in the industry view as top-of-the-rotation guys.

I'm not writing off Gavin Floyd. I don't have any irrational hate for him. I simply don't think he's anything more than your average run-of-the-mill starter. And that said, I'm not saying that's the worst thing in the world. If Gavin Floyd's career ends up being a guy who pitches 200 innings with a 4.8 ERA and 10 wins a year, that's not awful. There is value in guys who can consistently produce average to slightly-below-average results. But at the same time, let's not fool ourselves into thinking 29 other GMs are really that interested in Gavin Floyd. There is a huge difference between a guy who you'd take if he came free and guys who teams spend significant time trying to acquire.

For example, take a pitcher who has been linked to the Sox recently - Noah Lowry. There is some disagreement about whether we should trade Joe Crede for Noah Lowry. Some people think we'd be better off looking at other players. However, I think even the people in that latter category would agree that if Noah Lowry was cut by the Giants today, he would be worth taking a shot on. So what does that mean for Noah Lowry? It means he's a capable starter who has potential for greater things. But, how many GMs are currently sitting at their home/hotel/office thinking "How can we get Noah Lowry?"

That's what makes KW's statements bizarre. Sure, other teams would take a shot on Gavin Floyd if he came cheap. You can say the same for how many other pitchers in baseball? I could probably list a good 25 pitchers who fall into the same category of pitchers who few teams are actively trying to acquire, but whom would be signed by someone if they were cut tomorrow.

Johan Santana, Jake Peavy, Brandon Webb...those are guys that all other 29 GMs would love to have (if the price was right). Ditto for prospects like David Price, Clayton Kershaw, etc. Pitchers like Floyd? They're a dime a dozen. In every given year you can find at least a handful of pitchers with good arms who have never put it all together at the major league level. And there will always be some team willing to give those guys a shot, hoping they'll be the ones to turn that guy around.

Hell, I'll even admit to having a fascination with a pitcher like that in Daniel Cabrera. As far as stuff goes, there are few pitchers in the game with the raw stuff of Daniel Cabrera. But as of right now, he falls into the category of a guy with a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. If I became the GM of a team tomorrow, would I take a shot on Daniel Cabrera in hopes that he'd turn it around on my team? Absolutely. But would I be spending my every waking minute pondering how I could acquire him? Not at all.

Huisj
03-09-2008, 01:23 PM

I keep thinking Swisher's picture looks like he's a bad guy who is going to get beat up by Smash Adams in an old episode of Doug on Nickelodeon.

soxlady8
03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Some of these pictures are really bad !
As a female - Why do some guys grow this gross facial hair that makes them look ugly? I believe probably half these guys are attractive but are making themselves look like ugly trolls. Is it to scare away the "groupies" so that they can concentrate on their game and not on the chics ?

inquiring mind wants to know ----

sl8

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Is it just me, or does Swisher kinda look like Silent Bob?

Sockinchisox
03-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Adam Jones has quite possibly the worst photo ever done.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_430945.jpg

KRS1
03-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Adam Jones has quite possibly the worst photo ever done.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_430945.jpg

:roflmao::kneeslap:

That is a great find. You figure someone would have caught that one along the way. I have to think they had the picks come up for display on and LCD or something immediately after they were taken, so maybe he just decided to keep it as a joke? Hilarious either way.

angiew
03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_493351.jpg OMG, are you kidding me?? bahahahaha That's just sad!:redneck

gogosox16
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_493351.jpg OMG, are you kidding me?? bahahahaha That's just sad!:redneck
I was waiting for someone one to say something. He's a stick.

JorgeFabregas
03-11-2008, 07:36 AM
:roflmao::kneeslap:

That is a great find. You figure someone would have caught that one along the way. I have to think they had the picks come up for display on and LCD or something immediately after they were taken, so maybe he just decided to keep it as a joke? Hilarious either way.
Looks like it's been replaced.