PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here who knows nothing about baseball

scharatz
03-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi guys and greetings from London!

I'll be visiting Chicago in June and fancied watching a baseball game but I know nothing about it! I see it's played over 3 days against the same team - 17th/18th/19th June against Pittsburgh http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=6&y=2008

What's the difference between the 3 games and which one is the best one to attend? How long does a game usually last? And which section of the stadium is the best one for atmosphere?

Many thanks :smile:

rdivaldi
03-08-2008, 01:53 PM
:welcome:

There's really no difference between any of the three games that are being played, most likely just the pitchers who are starting. Games last anywhere between 2 hours to 4 hours depending on who is pitching, how many runs are scored and if the game goes into extra innings due to a tie. As for which section to sit in, that's pretty much subjective. There's probably a good reason to sit anywhere in the ballpark. I personally try to get as close to the field as possible in the lower deck.

Jjav829
03-08-2008, 02:02 PM
There is no real difference. Baseball, unlike say soccer, is played in a series of games. Rather than playing one game against a team and moving on, teams play series of usually 3 games, though sometimes there are 4 game series or 2 game series. The biggest difference between the three games of this particular series is the first two games of the series will be played at night, whereas the last will be played during the daytime. So if you would rather watch a game in the sunlight, the 19th would probably be your best choice.

Also, usually games played during the day on weekdays will be less filled since people are at work or school. So if you would prefer a less crowded environment, the 19th would also be your choice. However, if you are looking to get a better idea of the typical environment during a Sox game, the night games would give you a better experience.

Most games will last anywhere between two and a half hours to three hours. However, Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle is known his quick pitching style, so if you attend a game that he is starting, the game may last less than two and a half hours.

As for the best section of the stadium, I don't have a big preference. I would say you should buy something in the lower deck since this is the first game you'll be attending. You'll get a better view and a chance to experience more of the game and stadium.

Hope you enjoy the experience! Baseball is a great game. Since you describe yourself as knowing nothing about the game, you may want to spend some time reading about the game. And feel free to ask any other questions you want.

SoxandtheCityTee
03-08-2008, 02:03 PM
The three separate games are each of equal importance, in the sense that they are not a "match" or anything. People say a team "won the series" by taking two of three, but in terms of the standings, a win is a win.

A nine-inning game typically takes about three hours, but there is no clock in baseball, and it can go longer. Two of the three games you will be here for are at night; one is in the afternoon. You could select based on your schedule and what fits into your other activities. There are advantages to both. A ballpark in the summer sunlight is a beautiful place. At night the scoreboard and the fireworks (set off if a Sox player hits a home run) are more visible.

I'll let the season ticket holders here argue about where the best atmosphere is . :wink: If I were you I'd get as close to the field as I could afford, as seeing the game from up close makes a big difference.

Welcome, and enjoy your stay.

LoveYourSuit
03-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Beats Soccer for sure.

Welcome to the states my friend!!!

Glad you picked our park on your first visit rather than that old wreck on the other side of town.

KenBerryGrab
03-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I think you'd want to be in the lower level to get more of the atmosphere of the park.
Walking around the fan deck and seeing things like the rain room and the statues might even be more fun than the game for a newcomer.
Cheers to you, mate!

TDog
03-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi guys and greetings from London!

I'll be visiting Chicago in June and fancied watching a baseball game but I know nothing about it! I see it's played over 3 days against the same team - 17th/18th/19th June against Pittsburgh http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=6&y=2008

What's the difference between the 3 games and which one is the best one to attend? How long does a game usually last? And which section of the stadium is the best one for atmosphere?

Many thanks :smile:

Coincidentally, I will be visiting Chicago for a few days in June. I am looking for the 18th against Pittsburgh, and perhaps the 19th. I won't be ordering my tickets in advance because I don't want to pay a service charge and there doesn't seem a risk of Pittsburgh selling out. It is also a series where you are less likely to see ugly behavior from fans than, say, over the weekend against the Cubs.

If you are going alone, you might be able to score a single ticket close to the field in the lower deck. One advantage to the lower deck is that you will have access to features of the ballpark you wouldn't have with upper deck tickets.

I plan to take mass transit down to the ballpark, because a) I don't want to pay to park and b) I won't have a car -- although I have much more experience with the buses and underground in London than I do with the CTA.

aryzner
03-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I, for one, am happy that you are going to see the better of the 2 Chicago baseball teams. :D:

scharatz
03-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated :gulp:I actually couldn't attend the 19th as I'll be at a conference at that time, so I went ahead and booked a ticket for the 17th. Box 148, row 36. Not too bad I suppose. I didn't want to go down there and buy a ticket on the day because, if it's anything like football, only the rubbish tickets will be available on the day (if any). And considering the current vs $ rate I thought I'd treat myself to the best available ticket :D: I'll be taking the train as well, it seems very easy to get to from the red line.

How good are Pittsburgh? Are we likely to win? :D:

BTW, what's with the bizarre start time? Does the game really start at 7:11 pm?

DumpJerry
03-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated :gulp:I actually couldn't attend the 19th as I'll be at a conference at that time, so I went ahead and booked a ticket for the 17th. Box 148, row 36. Not too bad I suppose. I didn't want to go down there and buy a ticket on the day because, if it's anything like football, only the rubbish tickets will be available on the day (if any). And considering the current vs $ rate I thought I'd treat myself to the best available ticket :D: I'll be taking the train as well, it seems very easy to get to from the red line.

Pittsburgh will lose that day.

The 7:11 start is for real. We have a chain of convenience stores in the US called 7-11. They paid the White Sox a lot of money to have the start time at 7:11 so they can say they sponsor the start time. Prior to this, 7:05 was the usual start time for night games.

The gates open 90 minutes before the game starts. Try to get there when the gates open so you can take in as much as possible before the game starts.

aryzner
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Out of curiosity, what football team do you follow over there, if any? I recently got into it and I picked Fulham as my team due to the amount of Americans there. Too bad they're likely to get relegated this year. :(

Jason82807
03-08-2008, 03:26 PM
7-11 convenience stores sponsor the start time.

scharatz
03-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I'll need to get there early because I need to collect my tickets from "Will Call". Is there a guy walking through the stands selling hot dogs and beer like in the movies? :D: I gotta do the full works - which might include getting one of those massive foam fingers :D:

Aryzner, I'm a Spurs (Tottenham Hotspur) fan, the new League Cup winners :gulp: And yes, this is a bad year to start supporting Fulham ;)

DumpJerry
03-08-2008, 03:33 PM
YIs there a guy walking through the stands selling hot dogs and beer like in the movies? :D:
Yes. But don't buy them from him, they taste better off the grill.

aryzner
03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Awesome dude. Dimitar Berbatov and Robbie Keane are both badasses. Spurs could be in a much better position in the Prem this year if they weren't off to that bad start.

We'll see who I support in the future. Not being from England, it's hard for me to love any one team, so I just tend to follow the Americans as I'm a huge US national team fan as well, and I want us to do well.

It's not like here where both my parents are Sox fans so I grew up watching the White Sox all my life. Just do us over here a favor and don't ever become a fan of the Cubs, the Red Sox, or the Yankees baseball teams. :)

jabrch
03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
As it gets closer to game day, be sure to stop back here to visit. I'm sure the WSI Welcome Wagon would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgate_party

SteveFakeBlood
03-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Welcome! One of my best friends is actually English and I took him out to the Cell last summer and he liked it quite a bit (luckily it was not only a Sox win, but one of the more enjoyable games I saw all year). I studied in London a few years back and went from not caring at all about soccer to it becoming my second favorite sport (on a side note, congrats to your Spurs on winning the League Cup always nice to see someone outside the Top 4 win a trophy, and you've got a pretty exciting team)- so hopefully this game will spur an interest in baseball for you.

Aside to Aryzner: Coincidentally enough, I support Fulham as well (awful season so far, although not a bad result today) because I was able to get tickets to match at Craven Cottage (and my aforementioned friend is a life-long supporter) and it was the general area of London I lived in (I was technically in Chelsea territory, but close to both their grounds).

Anyway, glad you chose to see a Sox game. We'll never have the celebrity fans or be as trendy as the Cubs, but for most of us Sox fandom has been in our blood for generations and as a result we're more passionate and knowledgeable than your average Cubs fan- the Cell is a great place to see a game- lots of great ballpark grub and the main focus being on the game itself rather than getting drunk or hooking up with someone.

~Steve

scharatz
03-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Right, no cubs, red sox or yankees - got it :D: You guys seem to have a thing against the cubs - a bit like the spurs vs. arsenal over here. Does WSI organise a tailgate party before the game? It'd be nice to wander over and meet some of you guys over a pint or two of American finest.

As for the Spurs, great wins over Arsenal (woohoo) in the semi and Chelsea in the final, but I can't see us getting any better in the regular season because we've already booked a UEFA cup place through the cup win. And after losing 1:0 at home to PSV in the UEFA cup, it seems we'll be going out of that as well. Bring on the next season I say :rolleyes:

I want Mags back
03-08-2008, 05:54 PM
A Spurs fan :puking:

kaufsox
03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Right, no cubs, red sox or yankees - got it :D: You guys seem to have a thing against the cubs - a bit like the spurs vs. arsenal over here. Does WSI organise a tailgate party before the game? It'd be nice to wander over and meet some of you guys over a pint or two of American finest.

As for the Spurs, great wins over Arsenal (woohoo) in the semi and Chelsea in the final, but I can't see us getting any better in the regular season because we've already booked a UEFA cup place through the cup win. And after losing 1:0 at home to PSV in the UEFA cup, it seems we'll be going out of that as well. Bring on the next season I say :rolleyes:

Welcome and congrats to you Spurs! It doesn't look good for the UEFA cup, PSV is literally going to park the team bus in front of the goal.

I hope you enjoy the game. like another person said, post here again closer to the date to get a better sense of who will be at the game. As far as atmosphere, it will seem sedate by football standards. We are not a chanting/singing people (though I would love to start up a "Walking in a Buerhle Wonderland" chant but I digress.) We tend to be more of a "wait and see" type audience. We cheer effort, results, rallies, and the like, but we are passionate in our own way. Hope you have a great time.

BTW: adopted Newcastle a few years back (long story) and does the appointment of Keagan look as ridiculous to the rest of England as it does to me? :angry:

ksimpson14
03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi, usually you figure an average game is about 3 hours. There are times when it's under, but it's probably more likely to be over

You have nice seats, good view and everything. In terms of atmosphere, maybe the bleachers (around 160) would have been better. But, you can always roam around, there will probably be empty spots there, actually, I would suggest walking around the stadium. Should tell you know it's nothing like a football/soccer game, if you're expecting a ton of chanting or jumping around.

Pittsburgh is not too great, but it is a summer night, so there should be a decent crowd (but not a sellout). But yeah, better off for lines and all that. Walk around, there's a ton of food, this is one of the best parks in terms of food. You can get a lot of suggestions here, I like the standard stuff, hot dogs, nachos, and also, for a little more out there, elotes (corn sliced with toppings like cheese, butter, etc). If you know what you want in advance, the White Sox website has a list of most of the stands http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/cws_concessions.jsp

TornLabrum
03-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes. But don't buy them from him, they taste better off the grill.

With mustard and grilled onions.

Soxfanspcu11
03-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Yes. Yes indeed we do!

It is a "Chicagoland thing".

A lot of people are a "fan of both teams" and root for "whatever is best for the city". However, there is also a very large group that are either DIEHARD Sox or cubs fans.

Obviously, on this site, you are in the company of EXTREMELY DIEHARD and INCREDIBLY PASSIONATE White Sox fans!! Many of us here may be borderline, "INSANE", no joke!!!

Anyway, I have Full Season, Season Tickets. I am located out in the Left/Center Field Bleachers, Section 163.

My seats are actually REALLY GOOD!! I am in PRIME Homerun Territory!!! I have had these seats since 1997 and I have caught around 30 Baseballs!!!!!(Of course, most of those were during a Pregame Warmup which is called "Batting Practice", but still, they are really cool souvieners!!!)

If you would like, write down and remember my Screen Name on this site. As the game gets closer and closer, you can write to me with any questions that you might have. Also, on the day of the game, if you would like, you are more than welcome to meet up with me and my friends and I would love to show you around the Stadium. You know, show you where the best food is located, the Stores, the "Hall of Fame" Museum, the Shower in the outfield, the speed pitch machine (measures how fast you can throw a baseball). Basically, all the AWESOME ammenities of the park that make it, by far, one of the BEST Stadiums, not just in baseball, but for sports in general!!!

You will have a GREAT TIME, I PROMISE you that!!

And like I said, please feel free to remember me and contact me as the game gets closer and closer. As I said, I have Full Season, Season Tickets, so I will for sure be at the game.

Take Care and begin the Countdown to an AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!!:bandance::gulp:

gr8mexico
03-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Beats Soccer for sure.

Welcome to the states my friend!!!

Glad you picked our park on your first visit rather than that old wreck on the other side of town.
The guy is from London he doesnt watch soccer. He watches "FOOTBALL"

Nellie_Fox
03-09-2008, 12:53 AM
A lot of people are a "fan of both teams" and root for "whatever is best for the city".And we call those people "front runners."

Hokiesox
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
It'd be nice to wander over and meet some of you guys over a pint or two of American finest.

you're going to be disappointed. just a warning. your beer is WAY better, what with a few extra centuries of perfection.

It'll be fun to have you here in the States though! Welcome.

Further, we have a few serie a fans in here. I know somebody is an Inter fan (he's missing a few brain cells, I think). Personally, I'm a Juve guy. Enjoy your trip!

ilsox7
03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
you're going to be disappointed. just a warning. your beer is WAY better, what with a few extra centuries of perfection.

Hey now, when I go to the tailgate, I bring 10-12 good beers with me for anyone to have!

chaerulez
03-10-2008, 02:48 AM

A good comparison of how we look at the Red Sox or Yankees... it is probably how you perceive Man U and Chelsea. And the Yankees have the baseball version of C. Ronaldo in Alex Rodriguez. Both great players but don't do as well as they should in big games. The media would have to think they "choke", but I say that's an exaggeration. Oh and both are unlikable jerks.

IlliniSox4Life
03-10-2008, 03:26 AM

Pittsburgh isn't a very good team, so without knowing the particulars on the matchup for that day, we can say that the Sox will be favored to win. Where that might change is that each team usually has a rotation of 5 guys who are starting pitchers (this is normal, but not a rule, it's just how baseball clubs have decided to handle things over time). They are on a rotation where they will pitch every 5th game and usually pitch that day until they are no longer effective. So whether we are favored on that particular day depends a lot on who will be our starting pitcher and who will be Pittsburgh's starting pitcher. If one of our worse guys is pitching and one of their better guys is pitching, even though all around we might be a better team, they might be favored for that particular game.

I guess if you were thinking about it in terms of football, imagine that every team had 5 goalies and they all took turns playing goalie for a game. Now you might have a very good football club who has their worst goalie out against a not so good club who has their best goalie out and now the worse club is actually favored to win the game.

I hope that makes sense. It's kind of hard to explain it.

Yeah, I'll need to get there early because I need to collect my tickets from "Will Call". Is there a guy walking through the stands selling hot dogs and beer like in the movies? :D: I gotta do the full works - which might include getting one of those massive foam fingers :D:

Aryzner, I'm a Spurs (Tottenham Hotspur) fan, the new League Cup winners :gulp: And yes, this is a bad year to start supporting Fulham ;)

In most cases, movies are fairly accurate in their portrayal of baseball. There are guys walking through the stands selling food/drinks (on a side note: does that not happen in Europe? It isn't really unique to baseball, most professional American sports do this).

The Cubs-Sox rivalry is fairly complex. I think a lot of people brought it up though in this thread because usually when people are traveling to Chicago and go to a baseball game they pick a Cubs game. They are the more "popular" and well known team. As a result the atmosphere is different. It is more crowded, and people tend to go there just to drink beer and socialize, almost like it is a bar. Sox fans joke sometimes that you could turn all the seats around so they don't face the field and they would still sell out the game. The perception being that people don't actually care about the game on the field. The degree to which this is true is debatable, and the Sox also definitely have our fair share of people who go to the games just to drink and socialize.

Anyway, you made the right choice in posting here. Anything and everything you want to know about baseball, the Sox, or the city of Chicago in general, ask here. This is a great message board full of friendly people.

IlliniSox4Life
03-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Also, to actually answer your question about the tailgate - there's isn't a set "WSI tailgate". There are a few groups of people here who do tailgate, but I'm not one of them. I imagine if you post here closer to the actual game they will know if they are going to be tailgating on that particular day.

skottyj242
03-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Do they speak English in What?

Hokiesox
03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
This thread has me thinking now.

Can our right honorable friend explain the rules of cricket? I've tried everything to understand it, but am no closer to understanding it than I was the day I cracked open the rule book.

doublem23
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Can our right honorable friend explain the rules of cricket? I've tried everything to understand it, but am no closer to understanding it than I was the day I cracked open the rule book.

I've come to the conclusion that cricket is one of those British things, like blood pudding or steak and kidney pie, that I'm just never going to understand.

Hokiesox
03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I even saw a demonstration by the Pakistani national team here in DC on the mall... and I STILL didn't get it.

we be jake
03-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I even saw a demonstration by the Pakistani national team here in DC on the mall... and I STILL didn't get it.
:welcome: SHARATZ

I played the game once and I still didn't get it! That ball is harder to hit than you would think.:scratch:

kevin57
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Let me from the British West Indies explain Cricket...or at least one format of the game. Note: There are several, the longest of which can go on for 5 days! :thud:

In the "20/20 format" each team gets 20 "overs" (an 'over' consists of six what we'd call "pitches"). If a 'pitch' is deemed unhittable by the umpire it is called a "wide" (kinda like a ball, but there are no walks...it just means the hurler doesn't have that count towards his six pitches).

The batsman otherwise hits the ball and he AND his compatriot at the other end of the 'pitch' (i.e., batting area) run back and forth (like going from base to base). Every time they (or their bat technically) touch the "batter's box" (sort of) it's a run. In effect, folks, a baseball "single" would be one "run," a "double" two runs, etc.

Now, to hit the ball over the "boundary" (a line or rope) in the outfield is counted as 4 runs and a hit out of the park is 6 runs. The wild thing is the boundaries and "home runs" (of 6 runs) run BEHIND the batsman as well as to the sides and front. Picture a foul ball hit behind the press box being worth 6 runs! :shocked:

Little wonder scores are like 240-223!

Now, a batter is "out" whenever a ball is caught on the fly (of course),
or whenever the ball touches the wicket with the batter outside of the "batter's box). Using baseball imagery, the fielder wouldn't have to tag the runner, he can throw the ball at the "base" and if he hits it with the runner not "on the base" he's out. More often the fielders throw the ball to the "catcher" who then applies his mitt to the wicket. Furthermore, because there are two batsmen running with a hit, one can throw EITHER one out, not just the batsman who actually struck the ball.

The "wicket" is that three-poled thing behind the batsman (sort of the strike zone). That's THE danger zone for the hitter because if a pitched ball strikes any one of those sticks, he's out. One strike, you're out.

The first time I watched cricket I was confused because the crowds go completely insane when a batsman is out. I mean, there was more excitement than a runner thrown out at home in the WS! I was told that's because once a batter is out one time, he bats no more. So, teams have their best two batters up first. The longer they stay in, usually the more runs they get. To get a top of the lineup batsman out early is a cause of pure exhiliaration.

With no baseball around, cricket is "okay" for me. I call it baseball's second cousin. What I don't like are two things: 1) It is not nearly as intricate as baseball. For instance, no hit-and-run, no stealing, nothing all that strategic, and 2) almost no risks at all. Because being thrown out means you're out of the offensive part of the game, RARELY do batsman run against a fielder's arm, or stretch a single into a double. Too high a price to be paid.

If you have questions, ask. I'll try in my very novice way to clarify. There are a few other minor points, but this should do for now.

soltrain21
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM
This might be my favorite thread of all time. You should have a blast, buddy. Hope you get to see a White Sox winner.

Whitesox029
03-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey scharatz! I'll echo what everyone else has said in welcoming you and thanking you for choosing to come to a Sox game. I think someone mentioned that it's better to buy food from a stand than from a vendor, which is probably true, so I'll elaborate: One of the great things about White Sox Park in particular is the food. There are many stands on the concourse area with much more versatile food selections than the vendors carry. You can try all kinds of traditional Chicago food like Polish sausage and true Chicago-style hot dogs (with mustard, relish, tomato, pepper, onion, and pickle...did I miss anything?), and churros, which, if you're not familiar, are sticks of fried and sugared dough with chocolate, vanilla or strawberry filling.
Of course, if you're in need of a bag of peanuts (kind of a baseball tradition), a soda, beer, or cotton candy, the vendors will do just fine.

Also, the single greatest fan tradition in American baseball is the singing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during what's called "the 7th inning stretch," which is just the warmup time the players take between the top and bottom halves of the 7th inning (they take this warmup time between every half inning, but this is when the song is sung). This happens at almost every 9-inning baseball game played in America, at all levels from college to the minor leagues to the major leagues. One of the White Sox old TV broadcasters, Harry Caray, started his own unique tradition of hanging out of the broadcast booth and leading the crowd in song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jE-J_61UA
The words are displayed on the scoreboard screen, and you'll know when it's time to sing because everyone will stand.:tongue:

PS- If you have any other specific questions regarding the rules and intricacies of the game, feel free to send me a private message, or just start another thread. The fine people on this board will be happy to accommodate you.

PPS- Don't forget to try some Chicago-style deep dish pizza while you're here. I've been to Europe, and the Italians may have invented pizza, but we Americans have truly perfected it.

FielderJones
03-10-2008, 10:21 PM
You can try all kinds of traditional Chicago food like Polish sausage and true Chicago-style hot dogs (with mustard, relish, tomato, pepper, onion, and pickle...did I miss anything?)

Celery salt. :D:

Whitesox029
03-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Celery salt. :D:
Haha, I'm not all that up on my hot dogs. It's hard to find a good hot dog down here in Champaign.

FielderJones
03-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Haha, I'm not all that up on my hot dogs. It's hard to find a good hot dog down here in Champaign.

Many years before you were born I suffered the same fate. At least there's Papa Del's. :gulp:

Whitesox029
03-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Many years before you were born I suffered the same fate. At least there's Papa Del's. :gulp:
Yeah, the engineering thing was a big deal in deciding to come here, but I won't pretend Papa Del's didn't push me toward the decision, too. :tongue:

IlliniSox4Life
03-11-2008, 12:24 AM

Nero's on University makes an alright hot dog. I haven't checked this semester, but on Sundays they used to do the Sunday Special with $1 hot dogs and $1 fries. I don't think the one on Green does the same. They aren't amazing, but decent for the price. The best hot dog though is probably Wonderdogs on Wright.

kingpin_rcs
03-11-2008, 01:42 AM
This truly is an awesome thread!

I once took a friend of mind who was from Poland to a Sox game. Another friend of mine and me tried to explain the game to him before it started. Baseball is complicated and, as it is something most Americans grow up with, it's easy to forget how unique it is.

The many sports are played on a rectangular field or court with a goal (or basket, or end zone) at each end and the offense tried to put the ball (or puck) into the defenses goal. If you understand one of those sports you could probably follow one of the others even if you have never seen it before.

Baseball is unique. There is no clock, the defense controls the ball and all of the fields are different. Cricket shares some of these characteristics but it's quite unique in its own right (see earlier in this thread).

Also, isn't cool how the two leagues in baseball follow different rules? I think today it just the designated hitter rule but I think there used to be a rule about how many infielders can join an on the mound meeting.

Soxfanspcu11
03-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Let me from the British West Indies explain Cricket...or at least one format of the game. Note: There are several, the longest of which can go on for 5 days! :thud:

In the "20/20 format" each team gets 20 "overs" (an 'over' consists of six what we'd call "pitches"). If a 'pitch' is deemed unhittable by the umpire it is called a "wide" (kinda like a ball, but there are no walks...it just means the hurler doesn't have that count towards his six pitches).

The batsman otherwise hits the ball and he AND his compatriot at the other end of the 'pitch' (i.e., batting area) run back and forth (like going from base to base). Every time they (or their bat technically) touch the "batter's box" (sort of) it's a run. In effect, folks, a baseball "single" would be one "run," a "double" two runs, etc.

Now, to hit the ball over the "boundary" (a line or rope) in the outfield is counted as 4 runs and a hit out of the park is 6 runs. The wild thing is the boundaries and "home runs" (of 6 runs) run BEHIND the batsman as well as to the sides and front. Picture a foul ball hit behind the press box being worth 6 runs! :shocked:

Little wonder scores are like 240-223!

Now, a batter is "out" whenever a ball is caught on the fly (of course),
or whenever the ball touches the wicket with the batter outside of the "batter's box). Using baseball imagery, the fielder wouldn't have to tag the runner, he can throw the ball at the "base" and if he hits it with the runner not "on the base" he's out. More often the fielders throw the ball to the "catcher" who then applies his mitt to the wicket. Furthermore, because there are two batsmen running with a hit, one can throw EITHER one out, not just the batsman who actually struck the ball.

The "wicket" is that three-poled thing behind the batsman (sort of the strike zone). That's THE danger zone for the hitter because if a pitched ball strikes any one of those sticks, he's out. One strike, you're out.

The first time I watched cricket I was confused because the crowds go completely insane when a batsman is out. I mean, there was more excitement than a runner thrown out at home in the WS! I was told that's because once a batter is out one time, he bats no more. So, teams have their best two batters up first. The longer they stay in, usually the more runs they get. To get a top of the lineup batsman out early is a cause of pure exhiliaration.

With no baseball around, cricket is "okay" for me. I call it baseball's second cousin. What I don't like are two things: 1) It is not nearly as intricate as baseball. For instance, no hit-and-run, no stealing, nothing all that strategic, and 2) almost no risks at all. Because being thrown out means you're out of the offensive part of the game, RARELY do batsman run against a fielder's arm, or stretch a single into a double. Too high a price to be paid.

If you have questions, ask. I'll try in my very novice way to clarify. There are a few other minor points, but this should do for now.

Woah Dude!

This is the BEST explaination of Cricket that I have EVER heard!

I have been trying to figure it out and understand it for awhile now and your explaination was easily the BEST that I have ever seen! :gulp:to you!!!

However, I did find out recently (last 2-3 years) that "Real", "American" Baseball does exist in Europe. I had no idea that they played it there until I found out that one of my friend's from Highschool was playing Pro Ball in Germany.

At first I thought that maybe the article and the writer made a mistake, but no! He was actually playing for a German team in a German league.

I have no idea about the rest of Europe, but I found that pretty crazy. Do you know what the reception towards baseball is like in Germany? Do people actually go to games??

kevin57
03-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Woah Dude!

This is the BEST explaination of Cricket that I have EVER heard!

I have been trying to figure it out and understand it for awhile now and your explaination was easily the BEST that I have ever seen! :gulp:to you!!!

Ummm, thanks for the compliments about my explanation of Cricket but you must not have noticed the first line of my post.

I'm an American, Chicago born and raised.

So, I have no idea about how baseball is going down in Europe.

I'm on Antigua in the Caribbean because of "work."

I've had to learn Cricket because it's the closest thing to baseball I can find.

Oh, yeah, there are some Dominicans who play baseball down the hill from me on Sunday afternoons. They play with such passion. That's a quality I haven't seen in too many Americans for quite a while.

aryzner
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
oh my god

i finally understand cricket!! :D:

i have always wanted to and that explanation makes more sense to me than anything i've ever read!!

Hokiesox
03-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I get cricket now, I still don't understand why they can hit the ball backwards, but...whatever.

I watch sky sports every night (thank you, Fox Soccer channel...though we apologize for the Glazer family and Hicks/Gillette) and they have cricket highlights and the scores are, like, 332&xxx -250 or something...what is the &?

Scottiehaswheels
03-11-2008, 10:27 AM
I just thought of something for the O.P. You aren't flying in the day of the game right? I would hope you'd be a bit more acclimated to the time zones here before you decide to attend a game. Just saying because if you fly in the night you'll be attending the game, your body will say its 3/4 A.M. and you probably won't have the energy to last the entire game. If so... Good luck! :cool:

russ99
03-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I just thought of something for the O.P. You aren't flying in the day of the game right? I would hope you'd be a bit more acclimated to the time zones here before you decide to attend a game. Just saying because if you fly in the night you'll be attending the game, your body will say its 3/4 A.M. and you probably won't have the energy to last the entire game. If so... Good luck! :cool:

Agree, and it's always harder on me when I fly west (i.e. from Europe to the US) than when I fly east, since that flight is usually 8-12 hours of daylight, and it's harder to sleep on the plane.

Another thing about Cubs-Sox rivalry, it's also been a class rivalry throughout it's history. Cubs fans are more upper or upper-middle class and Sox fans are more working class.

I'm not sure if that's really the case nowadays, but it certainly was in my dad's time. I'd guess the London equivalent would be Chelsea & Spurs.

kevin57
03-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I get cricket now, I still don't understand why they can hit the ball backwards, but...whatever.

I agree, it's goofy, but I think they would argue that just getting the bat on the ball and "place" it anywhere that allows you to run is a skill.

ws05champs
03-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Just thought I would give you my opinion about where to sit to see the game. I've always liked the upper deck. It gives you a great perspective on everything that is happening on the field. If you can, you may want to get lower deck seats then move up to the upper deck later in the game (they will let you in the upper deck with lower deck tickets but not the other way around.)

I also found for you a couple of Web sites that explain some of the more difficult rules of the game to understand such as balks and the infield fly rule. If you remember even some of the stuff you will amaze the fans with your knowledge. I just hope your brain does not explode:

The Hardball Times (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/rules-and-quirks/)

QC Baseball (http://www.qcbaseball.com/baseball_rules/infield_fly_rule1.aspx)

Walker29
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Go Spurs! That was a great win on Sunday, 4-nill over West Ham. Berbatov is the man, but you gotta love Bent for sacrificing his body for his 100th goal. Hope you enjoy your stay in Chicago. Have a great time! Definately make sure your hot dog of choice is the Jumbo Kosher FROM THE GRILL with onions and mustard, though not a "chicago style hot dog" by definition, it is the filet mignon of tube steaks, and quite possibly the greatest meal served on a bun. I've found EPL to be a great diversion between the Super Bowl and baseball Opening Day, here's to another win this weekend vs. "the cititzens".

Hokiesox
03-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree, it's goofy, but I think they would argue that just getting the bat on the ball and "place" it anywhere that allows you to run is a skill.

Well, the same can be said for hitting a curveball. Doesn't mean hitting a curveball to the stands behind home plate gets you anything more than a strike. It's just a foreign idea to anyone who grew up with baseball.

Anyone who manages to touch a Bobby Jenks curveball earns my respect, but if they don't hit it in fair territory, I don't want them to gain an advantage.