PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball plays hardball with Cape Cod League

Fenway
03-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Bud are you out of your mind??????????????????

A big supporter of the Cotuit Kettleers will be angry with you.... one Mr. Gammons

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/NEWS/803070339/-1/sports

The Cape League has long been a breeding ground for future major league players. There are currently more than 1,000 former Cape Leaguers in pro baseball, including more than 200 playing at the major league level.

List of Cape players in MLB in 2007
http://www.capecodbaseball.org/archives/Arc2007/Alumni/alumni2007.htm

Southsider101
03-09-2008, 05:23 PM
You can bet that this is just the beginning. It won't be too much longer before Commissioner Gotti, er Selig, starts shaking down local Little League, American Legion, and other community based baseball organizations for "royalties." Sounds more like a street tax imposed by the Outfit if you ask me.

DSpivack
03-09-2008, 06:06 PM
You can bet that this is just the beginning. It won't be too much longer before Commissioner Gotti, er Selig, starts shaking down local Little League, American Legion, and other community based baseball organizations for "royalties." Sounds more like a street tax imposed by the Outfit if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure they've already done this.

Fenway
03-09-2008, 08:06 PM
In modern baseball there is most likely nothing as not for profit than the Cape Cod League.

There has never been a charge to watch the games but they simply pass the hat for donations.

Look it gives MLB scouts a chance to see college players hitting with a WOODEN bat with no direct costs to MLB.

Fenway
03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Gammons who is a huge supporter of the Cape Cod League explodes....

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2008/03/10/gammons_on_cape_controversy/

Oblong
03-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I understand the need for brand protection, especially in today's digital environment. But can't they at least save those battles for profit seeking enterprises? The amount they'd get is chicken feed compared to the PR battle. They've probably incurred more expenses in lawyer fees than they'd get from the Cape Cod league if they complied fully with no push back.

Sometimes a little common sense is needed. Is anybody trying to get rich from the Cape Cod league?

It's Dankerific
03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I find MLB's position just sad.. really sad. Not like I'm surprised though.

However, 100k? You're pissed off Gammons? You and your buddies use some of that ESPN money to donate it yourself? Literally, one MLB player who likes it could replace the MLB money without batting an eyelash. You'd think they could get 1000 people to donate 100, or 10,000 to donate $10 extra to keep MLB out.

Rockin Robin
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I find MLB's position just sad.. really sad. Not like I'm surprised though.

However, 100k? You're pissed off Gammons? You and your buddies use some of that ESPN money to donate it yourself? Literally, one MLB player who likes it could replace the MLB money without batting an eyelash. You'd think they could get 1000 people to donate 100, or 10,000 to donate $10 extra to keep MLB out.

Wait why is that his place to donate his money over something that shouldn't be an issue?

It sure is easy for you to say something like that from your laptop, and not have to do anything about it.

Taliesinrk
03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Wait why is that his place to donate his money over something that shouldn't be an issue?

It sure is easy for you to say something like that from your laptop, and not have to do anything about it.

Yeah, it's more about the principle here.

Hokiesox
03-12-2008, 03:17 PM
MLB is 100% in the wrong. I can't even find any grey areas. Gammons is right, MLB should be promoting baseball, not doing garbage like this. I don't care if the NFL does it, baseball is different.

It's Dankerific
03-12-2008, 04:10 PM

I have 0 interest in the Cape Cod league and get 0 enjoyment out of it. Why would I donate to it? I donate to things _I_ like, ESPECIALLY when some other group tries to screw it. I guarantee you, as a percentage of income, I donate more to those causes I care about than 100k is to Peter Gammons. I'm just saying instead of _just_ complaining/raising awareness he could make a REALLY GOOD POINT by donating the cash himself.

Fenway
03-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I have 0 interest in the Cape Cod league and get 0 enjoyment out of it. Why would I donate to it? I donate to things _I_ like, ESPECIALLY when some other group tries to screw it. I guarantee you, as a percentage of income, I donate more to those causes I care about than 100k is to Peter Gammons. I'm just saying instead of _just_ complaining/raising awareness he could make a REALLY GOOD POINT by donating the cash himself.

Gammo not only donates to a couple of the teams but he and his wife have been a host family on a few occasions.

Nobody is making money on the CCL. My nephew knows how much one team is paying for insurance as he wrote the policy.
AND Gammons points out there was a team called Mariners on the Cape decades before Seattle was born.

The Cape is the most popular college summer league. Spending days at the beach and playing ball at night not a bad way to spend the summer.

jortafan
03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Look it gives MLB scouts a chance to see college players hitting with a WOODEN bat with no direct costs to MLB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Major League Baseball did provide a small subsidy to the Cape Cod League and to other collegiate leagues across the country, including the Central Illinois Collegiate League which is one located closest to those of us who live in Chicago.

I realize this subsidy is dinky and that no one is getting rich off it. It is nowhere near the amount of money teams spend on supporting minor league affiliates.

Fenway
03-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Major League Baseball did provide a small subsidy to the Cape Cod League and to other collegiate leagues across the country, including the Central Illinois Collegiate League which is one located closest to those of us who live in Chicago.

I realize this subsidy is dinky and that no one is getting rich off it. It is nowhere near the amount of money teams spend on supporting minor league affiliates.

MLB gives them $100 K a year... now they are making demands.