PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox refuse to join MLB/StubHub partnership

Fenway
03-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Hmmm so the Red Sox will not be involved in it yet MLB has told them they can't use the REPLAY system either.

Fans are getting a little fed up

# Ticket shock
Fans are paying the price for the Red Sox success: inside the Fenway fiasco (http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid57470.aspx)

More and more fans are fed up with Red Sox Nation and all the garbage that goes with it to

We have become worse than the Yankees (http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blogspot.com/2008/03/we-have-become-worse-than-yankees.html)

the blogger mentions the White Sox fans
We are not just hated in New York but everywhere especially in Chicago not by Cubs fans who are in their own little world but by the hardscrabble fans of the forgotten Chicago team the White Sox. They didn't mind when the world went bonkers over us winning in 2004 but they were furious when the national media ignored them when the won in 2005. We got the cover of Time Magazine and they couldn't even get a full cover in Sports Illustrated having to share it with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Seems like most of the nation was rooting for the New York Giants in the Super Bowl because they are fed up with Boston teams and fans.

LoveYourSuit
03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I have to agreee.

Never thought it would come a time I would hate a nation more than the Yankee one.

Fenway
03-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I have to agreee.

Never thought it would come a time I would hate a nation more than the Yankee one.

I just hate the bandwagon fans that showed up.

Swear to gawd last year I was sitting next to a man who asked me in the 5th inning what number Yazstremski was :o::scratch: He thought he was still playing :?:

Fenway
03-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Lovely

The Red Sox instead of using StubHub will make the biggest ticket broker ( scalper ) the official broker of the Red Sox

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1078668&srvc=home&position=also

WBZ-TV reported any season ticket holder using StubHub will have the tickets REVOKED

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1078668&srvc=home&position=also

DumpJerry
03-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I have to agreee.

Sorry, neither are a nation. They only have over-blown estimations of their worth to society.

When I was in Baltimore for a White Sox/O's series in '06, there were a lot of Yankee fans there with "Yankee Universe" tee shirts. :rolleyes:

Fenway
03-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Sorry, neither are a nation. They only have over-blown estimations of their worth to society.

When I was in Baltimore for a White Sox/O's series in '06, there were a lot of Yankee fans there with "Yankee Universe" tee shirts. :rolleyes:

I suppose in a perfect world a great storm should hit the Notheast and eveything east of the Hudson River should just sail into the Atlantic. :tongue:

This new ticket system is going to be a royal pain. Last yearmy family tickets were in the Replay system. Instead of tickets I was issued a smart card and any game we wanted to sell we would just click online and the Red Sox would take the game of the card and print tickets for the game to give to the buyer. At the end of the seson everthing was credited to the 2008 invoice.

Now according to the info on the season ticket website nothing can be done electronically as StubHub has the rights but the Red Sox will not join. They will send the tickets by DHL by April 1st and any game I want to sell I must bring to Ace Ticket in person or by mail.

Ace can sell them online but I can not deal with them online.

The website warns. The Red Sox and Ace will be buying tickets offered online from other sources such as Craigs List and Stub Hub. Tickets from any account found at these other sources will be voided and the season ticket contract will be revoked.

Ace Ticket is a lovely outfit. At one time they were owned by Kevin Weeks who was Whitey Bulger's second in command. Ace also controls one of the ticket broker offices on Addison St.

#1swisher
03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
can you still sell thru ebay? Is stubhub owned by ebay?:scratch:

Fenway
03-08-2008, 12:01 PM
can you still sell thru ebay? Is stubhub owned by ebay?:scratch:

No as it would be the same as selling on StubHub and risking having the tickets revoked. These are tickets my Dad first bought in 1962 and are first row grandstand but in front of the poles. The row in front of me is $45 higher a game. My nephew had been buying them but he is in the mortgage business and his income has vanished.

REPLAY was brainless and my tickets would be sold in seconds once put up as they are that good. I do not want to deal with Ace Ticket .

SoxandtheCityTee
03-08-2008, 12:19 PM
The website warns. The Red Sox and Ace will be buying tickets offered online from other sources such as Craigs List and Stub Hub. Tickets from any account found at these other sources will be voided and the season ticket contract will be revoked.

:scratch: Ok, I'm confused.

Are the Red Sox unique in forbidding their ST holders from using anything but their exclusive arrangement to resell season tickets? The White Sox aren't doing this, correct?

So if one Red Sox fan locates another who wants to buy their tickets, say through a WSI-style message board that features a forum for this purpose, would the Red Sox police that forum and revoke season ticket contracts?

I can't believe MLB can be happy with this.

Oblong
03-08-2008, 12:23 PM
How would the Red Sox know who's ticket it was if it were kept generic. For example Sec 218, row B. but leave off the seat?

Fenway
03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
:scratch: Ok, I'm confused.

Are the Red Sox unique in forbidding their ST holders from using anything but their exclusive arrangement to resell season tickets? The White Sox aren't doing this, correct?

So if one Red Sox fan locates another who wants to buy their tickets, say through a WSI-style message board that features a forum for this purpose, would the Red Sox police that forum and revoke season ticket contracts?

I can't believe MLB can be happy with this.

MLB has to be livid over this as their deal with StubHub was set factoring the resale value of Boston tickets. There are only a handful of teams with a lucrative secondary market and I would guess Boston is the biggest by far as there is not too much demand for KC or Tampa tickets.

Bruizer
03-09-2008, 12:59 AM
How would the Red Sox know who's ticket it was if it were kept generic. For example Sec 218, row B. but leave off the seat?
They said they would buy some of these tickets themselves from StubHub.

asg2003ws2005
03-09-2008, 07:27 AM
I suppose in a perfect world a great storm should hit the Notheast and eveything east of the Hudson River should just sail into the Atlantic. :tongue:

This new ticket system is going to be a royal pain. Last yearmy family tickets were in the Replay system. Instead of tickets I was issued a smart card and any game we wanted to sell we would just click online and the Red Sox would take the game of the card and print tickets for the game to give to the buyer. At the end of the seson everthing was credited to the 2008 invoice.

Now according to the info on the season ticket website nothing can be done electronically as StubHub has the rights but the Red Sox will not join. They will send the tickets by DHL by April 1st and any game I want to sell I must bring to Ace Ticket in person or by mail.

Ace can sell them online but I can not deal with them online.

Ace Ticket is a lovely outfit. At one time they were owned by Kevin Weeks who was Whitey Bulger's second in command. Ace also controls one of the ticket broker offices on Addison St.I like the smart card idea. I wish the Real Sox offered it.

DSpivack
03-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I like the smart card idea. I wish the Real Sox offered it.

To me it sounds like the team is preventing you from getting real cash for your tickets.

asg2003ws2005
03-10-2008, 01:45 AM
To me it sounds like the team is preventing you from getting real cash for your tickets.If you can sell them online, like fenway was able to, it's a good deal. With this coming stubhub deal, my wife still wants me to put any money made from ticket sales back in the sox account. less for us to pay NEXT Year.

With stubhub, if you elect to have payment via paypal, your STILL subject to paypal fees. And check takes a week longer to get. With the money in your st account, it's near instantaneous.

Plus, With a smart card, I never have to fumble for tickets, AND i can put it in my wallet.

munchman33
03-10-2008, 02:29 AM
I know most people here are going to take the other side, but I'm glad Boston won't use Stubhub.

It already isn't as good as what we used to have here. One can't buy or sell tickets day of game with Stubhub. Until that becomes a reality, it's a flawed system and MLB made an obviously bad decision chosing them.

I hope this Red Sox business leads to the agreements' downfall.

I, personally, am being forced out of seeing games because of the new system. Because of my job, I generally don't know if I can go to a game until it's too late to have them mailed.

It's Dankerific
03-10-2008, 03:24 AM
With stubhub, if you elect to have payment via paypal, your STILL subject to paypal fees. And check takes a week longer to get. With the money in your st account, it's near instantaneous.

I get what you are saying about paypal. Its rediculous how they take their fees on non credit card transactions. One of the reasons I have multiple accounts. Don't understand how oct/nov 2008 is instantaneous though. I'd rather wait one week for a check and have the cash, time value of money and all that.

asg2003ws2005
03-10-2008, 04:31 AM
I know most people here are going to take the other side, but I'm glad Boston won't use Stubhub.

It already isn't as good as what we used to have here. One can't buy or sell tickets day of game with Stubhub. Until that becomes a reality, it's a flawed system and MLB made an obviously bad decision chosing them.

I hope this Red Sox business leads to the agreements' downfall.

I, personally, am being forced out of seeing games because of the new system. Because of my job, I generally don't know if I can go to a game until it's too late to have them mailed.Stubhub has last minute ticket centers, AND Season Ticket Holders will be able to still sell tickets electronically. NO confirming orders. NO shipping tickets, as they will be emailed after payment goes through.

asg2003ws2005
03-10-2008, 04:32 AM
I get what you are saying about paypal. Its rediculous how they take their fees on non credit card transactions. One of the reasons I have multiple accounts. Don't understand how oct/nov 2008 is instantaneous though. I'd rather wait one week for a check and have the cash, time value of money and all that.The money's deposited in my sox account.

DumpJerry
03-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Not quite. The White Sox, like all other non-Red Sox MLB teams, are part of the deal with StubHub where ST holders can re-sell their tickets. However, the White Sox have not informed ST holders that we cannot re-sell our tickets elsewhere (like eBay, Craigslist, etc.).

I, for one, will be selling my Red Sox tickets on Craigslist and not StubHub since that is where the Boston people will look for tickets. My Crosstown Classic games will be sold on StubHub.

I tried to list my tickets on StubHub last week but the only shipping option was FedEx and not electronic like MLB told us. I'll try again in a week or so to see if the system is updated.

asg2003ws2005
03-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Not quite. The White Sox, like all other non-Red Sox MLB teams, are part of the deal with StubHub where ST holders can re-sell their tickets. However, the White Sox have not informed ST holders that we cannot re-sell our tickets elsewhere (like eBay, Craigslist, etc.).

I, for one, will be selling my Red Sox tickets on Craigslist and not StubHub since that is where the Boston people will look for tickets. My Crosstown Classic games will be sold on StubHub.

I tried to list my tickets on StubHub last week but the only shipping option was FedEx and not electronic like MLB told us. I'll try again in a week or so to see if the system is updated.I suspect we'll be able to sell electronically within a week of our tickets arriving. No different than when we had ticketexchange.

It's Dankerific
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
The money's deposited in my sox account.

But you don't have access to that money till the next time you have to pay a sox invoice. So thats months they're keeping your money interest free. if you put that money in something easy like an ING Direct account, you'd be making a few more bucks before it was time to pay your invoice. (I grant you, its not a TON of money, but it can buy you a couple beers at opening day 09)

asg2003ws2005
03-10-2008, 01:59 PM
But you don't have access to that money till the next time you have to pay a sox invoice. So thats months they're keeping your money interest free. if you put that money in something easy like an ING Direct account, you'd be making a few more bucks before it was time to pay your invoice. (I grant you, its not a TON of money, but it can buy you a couple beers at opening day 09)To each thier own. I'd rather have that money in reserve so that IF we make the playoffs, i am not getting raped by the ticket prices.

I also have a war chest if i decide to do group outings.

munchman33
03-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Stubhub has last minute ticket centers, AND Season Ticket Holders will be able to still sell tickets electronically. NO confirming orders. NO shipping tickets, as they will be emailed after payment goes through.

Okay nevermind. :redface:

I've used stubhub before and they didn't do the print tickets thing, but maybe that has changed since I last used it.

It's Dankerific
03-10-2008, 06:24 PM
To each thier own. I'd rather have that money in reserve so that IF we make the playoffs, i am not getting raped by the ticket prices.

I also have a war chest if i decide to do group outings.

at most online banks (including ING), you can withdrawl at anytime after 7 days of deposit. So I fail to see how letting the whitesox keep your money interest free benefits anyone but the chicago white sox.

DumpJerry
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Okay nevermind. :redface:

I've used stubhub before and they didn't do the print tickets thing, but maybe that has changed since I last used it.
Well, MLB is telling us that electronic transfer will be possible. But it has not been implemented yet. Let's see if they get it right. Soon.

munchman33
03-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, MLB is telling us that electronic transfer will be possible. But it has not been implemented yet. Let's see if they get it right. Soon.

I see.

Well, all I can do is hope.

asg2003ws2005
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
at most online banks (including ING), you can withdrawl at anytime after 7 days of deposit. So I fail to see how letting the whitesox keep your money interest free benefits anyone but the chicago white sox.out of sight, out of mind.

is it THAT hard for you to get?

It's Dankerific
03-11-2008, 05:07 PM

out of sight, out of mind.

is it THAT hard for you to get?

Look, I understand that people make POOR financial decisions all the time. My original comment was directly related to the absurdity of you saying sales to the st account are "near instantaneous" even though you can't use it till oct/nov 08 (or a group outing) and that was better than waiting a whole WEEK to get a check from stubhub. Is it THAT hard for you to follow a conversation/thread????

asg2003ws2005
03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Look, I understand that people make POOR financial decisions all the time. My original comment was directly related to the absurdity of you saying sales to the st account are "near instantaneous" even though you can't use it till oct/nov 08 (or a group outing) and that was better than waiting a whole WEEK to get a check from stubhub. Is it THAT hard for you to follow a conversation/thread????

Ok. Let me get this straight.

The money's in your sox account to use AT ANY TIME. I often do groups throughout the season. So having that "war chest" makes it less of a burden waiting for peopel to pay me back. OR, I have it for playoffs or my st balance.

Now, I hope you can separate flexible planning with "poor" finanacial decisions.

Oh, and for the record, the sox dont put ANY money for tickets on the books until AFTER the game's played. So they are making "interest" on tickets, whether you have a account balance, or bought tix from the box office yesterday.

It's Dankerific
03-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Let me start by saying I'm not trying to be antagonistic. If we're talking about speed of payment, I can't see a situation where its so great that my st account was credited almost instantaneously so I can ticket my group outing today. Credit cards work the same. (with a nifty grace period for no interest repayment, at least the amount of time it'll take you to get and deposit your stubhub check). Second, Personally, I'd rather have a "war chest" or "lock box" of cash, not IOUs from the white sox. Cash spends with the sox and other places, like if my buddy or work wants to put together the group outing... Third, the time at which the sox put the tickets on the books is not material to the conversation, to get tickets you have to pay them when they say so and they sure do make money on the interest. BUT, during the situations you have a choice in aftermarket sales, there is no reason to give them a second interest revenue source for no perceived benefit.

I think you are making a "convenience" argument and I'm making a "freedom" and "financial" argument.

Ok. Let me get this straight.

The money's in your sox account to use AT ANY TIME. I often do groups throughout the season. So having that "war chest" makes it less of a burden waiting for peopel to pay me back. OR, I have it for playoffs or my st balance.

Now, I hope you can separate flexible planning with "poor" finanacial decisions.

Oh, and for the record, the sox dont put ANY money for tickets on the books until AFTER the game's played. So they are making "interest" on tickets, whether you have a account balance, or bought tix from the box office yesterday.

asg2003ws2005
03-11-2008, 07:13 PM
at least we have a better choice now. with ticketexchange, you could ONLY have cash credited to your account.

Fenway
03-14-2008, 10:20 AM
The new ticket partner of the Red Sox is in some hot water this morning

Ace Ticket sold without licenses, state records show (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/14/ace_ticket_sold_without_licenses_state_records_sho w/)