PDA

View Full Version : If Jerry makes the team...

JermaineDye05
03-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Where would you bat Swish? Do you guys see him as the Sox #3 hitter? Or is he more suited for the 5th or 6th spot in the lineup?

JermaineDye05
03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Where would you bat Swish? Do you guys see him as the Sox #3 hitter? Or is he more suited for the 5th or 6th spot in the lineup?

I just realized the title is a little misleading, it should really say "If Swish doesn't lead off" since Ozzie could always put Cabrera or Richar (assuming he shows he can lead off) or someone else in the lead off spot.

WhiteSox5187
03-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I think if Owens makes the team it's probably going to be as the leadoff guy...I personally would have Swish bat 5th or 6th.

LITTLE NELL
03-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Because hes a switch hitter and is faster than Konerko and Thome; I would have him batting 3rd.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Because hes a switch hitter and is faster than Konerko and Thome; I would have him batting 3rd.

You do realize he's a career .251 hitter? He has decent power, put him 6th.

Don't get me wrong, Swisher might be very good for this team, but I think people are expecting him to be a savior. But he's basically another high HR, K, and BB type guy, like Thome but with a lower average and fewer HRs. Why should he bat 3rd, or even leadoff?

The Thomenator
03-07-2008, 08:14 PM
As of right now, I'd like Swisher to bat 5th, between the two righties.

LITTLE NELL
03-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, Swisher might be very good for this team, but I think people are expecting him to be a savior. But he's basically another high HR, K, and BB type guy, like Thome but with a lower average and fewer HRs. Why should he bat 3rd, or even leadoff?
I just have a feeling that hes going to have a career year because he will be playing half the games at a hitters park.

sox1970
03-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I'd like Swisher to bat 5th or 6th vs righties, and 3rd vs. lefties.

Thome on the bench vs. lefties.

Domeshot17
03-07-2008, 08:29 PM

You do realize he walks 100 times a year and the only person who can touch his OBP is Thome right?

Swish should hit 3rd vs lefties, with Konerko 4 Dye 5 and Thome 6, and 5 vs righties with Thome 3 Konerko 4 and Dye 6.

I think people don't understand OBP sometimes. A guy like Jaun Pierre hits .303 every year, but is only on base 32% of the time, where a guy like Swish may hit .260 but be on base 38-40% of the time. I'll take my odds with Thome or Konerko coming to bat 40% of the time with a guy on base over AJ and Richar or Uribe coming to the plate 40% of the time with a guy on base.

KRS1
03-07-2008, 08:30 PM

You do realize he also has a .361 OBP (.372 and .381 the last two seasons), and that means he would be getting on base in front of those big boys and give them plenty of scoring opportunities, right? The OBP and lower average pretty much tells me that he would be perfect to hit in front of those guys because while he may not always come through with the big hit to knock them in, he has a very good chance of being on base to allow those other guys a lot of chances to knock him in.

KRS1
03-07-2008, 08:32 PM
You do realize he walks 100 times a year and the only person who can touch his OBP is Thome right?

Swish should hit 3rd vs lefties, with Konerko 4 Dye 5 and Thome 6, and 5 vs righties with Thome 3 Konerko 4 and Dye 6.

I think people don't understand OBP sometimes. A guy like Jaun Pierre hits .303 every year, but is only on base 32% of the time, where a guy like Swish may hit .260 but be on base 38-40% of the time. I'll take my odds with Thome or Konerko coming to bat 40% of the time with a guy on base over AJ and Richar or Uribe coming to the plate 40% of the time with a guy on base.

Beat me to it by a minute.

LITTLE NELL
03-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Excellent point, he bats 3rd.

Daver
03-07-2008, 08:53 PM
If Jerry Owens makes this team in any role other than pinch runner this team will battle it out with KC for last place.

dickallen15
03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
The White Sox were willing to give Torii Hunter $75 million. They traded for Swisher and made a point they were specifically targeting Carlos Quentin making Swisher the CFer. Its fairly obvious what their real opinion of Jerry Owens is.

chisoxmike
03-07-2008, 09:18 PM
If Jerry Owens makes the team as a starter or 4th outfielder, any small hope I had that this team may surprise us will go to ****.

sullythered
03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Really? If a your fourth outfielder is a .260ish hitter with really really good speed, you have no hope?

I don't want him starting, really, but he'd be just fine off the bench.

If Jerry Owens makes the team as a starter or 4th outfielder, any small hope I had that this team may surprise us will go to ****.

SteveFakeBlood
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd like to point out here to the Jerry Owen's haters that Cabrera's career average/OBP stats are .273/.321; Jerry's are .268/.324. Sure, Cabrera had a big upswing last year in those categories, but last year was Jerry's first full season. I like him better as a leadoff man and Cabrera as a solid #2. Jerry's had a decent spring and I think deserves a shot. If he's miserable after a few months- get Swish in center and Quentin in Left. Our outfield depth actually isn't as truly awful as people seem to make it out to be. Hell, I won't mind seeing Brian Anderson *GOD FORBID* make the team- he's been swinging a stick this spring. But to answer what this post is actually about, Swisher will on base plenty for the middle of the order, put him at #3.

~Steve

chisoxmike
03-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I'd like to point out here to the Jerry Owen's haters that Cabrera's career average/OBP stats are .273/.321; Jerry's are .268/.324. Sure, Cabrera had a big upswing last year in those categories, but last year was Jerry's first full season. I like him better as a leadoff man and Cabrera as a solid #2. Jerry's had a decent spring and I think deserves a shot. If he's miserable after a few months- get Swish in center and Quentin in Left. Our outfield depth actually isn't as truly awful as people seem to make it out to be. Hell, I won't mind seeing Brian Anderson *GOD FORBID* make the team- he's been swinging a stick this spring. But to answer what this post is actually about, Swisher will on base plenty for the middle of the order, put him at #3.

~Steve

There's also defense that plays into it. Owens is not a good outfielder. Cabrera is a stellar shortstop.

SoxNation05
03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I want Swisher 5th because I am not the biggest Dye fan. But I am pretty sure Ozzie would put Dye ahead of Swish. I would rather have Quentin start in the outfield over Owens but if Owens is the starter I want:

L Owens
R Cabrera
L Thome
R Konerko
L Swisher
R Dye
L Pierzynski
R Fields
L Richar

WhiteSox5187
03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I want Swisher 5th because I am not the biggest Dye fan. But I am pretty sure Ozzie would put Dye ahead of Swish. I would rather have Quentin start in the outfield over Owens but if Owens is the starter I want:

L Owens
R Cabrera
L Thome
R Konerko
L Swisher
R Dye
L Pierzynski
R Fields
L Richar
I like that lineup a lot actually, but I don't think Owens is going to be healthy enough to make the team, or at least be our leadoff guy. I hope I'm wrong and I hope that Owens goes out there and has a .350ish OBP, but that's just this nagging feeling I have.

Tragg
03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I'd like to point out here to the Jerry Owen's haters that Cabrera's career average/OBP stats are .273/.321; Jerry's are .268/.324.
If Cabrera were an outfielder, that wouldn't be good. Relative to his position, though, he's a decent hitter.