PDA

View Full Version : Why no Aleximania?

soxwon
03-07-2008, 11:24 AM
How come theres a spotlight on FUKUDOMANIA in the papers and nothing on ALEXIMANIA?
Ramirez has better stats thus far, than the Asian Dude!!!
Why?Are Japanese better than Cubans?
Ill go as far and say Ramirez will produce better this season than Fuku!!!
Alexi is gonna be an allstar someday soon.

chisoxmike
03-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Ramirez may not even make the team.

Craig Grebeck
03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Nor should he. He obviously needs seasoning.

spawn
03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
I say let Fukudome get the hype. That's less pressure for Alexei. Besides, Ramirez may not even break camp with the pro team, so any Alexi hype would be a little premature.

EDIT: chisoxmike beat me to it. :cool:

chisoxmike
03-07-2008, 11:28 AM

BUT HE WENT 5 FOR 6 IN THAT ONE SPRING TRAINING GAME YO!!!

soxwon
03-07-2008, 11:29 AM

he's been fantastic, he should start at 2b come on people.
To me he will be the Key to us winning it this year, and we WILL win it all.
Everyone should be convinced of that by now.

DumpJerry
03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
We fly under the radar, they are attention whores.

One more time, Ramirez still needs some seasoning on the field, he might not come north.

sox1970
03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Because you spelled his name wrong?

oeo
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Fukudome has higher expectations because he's getting paid a lot more money.

LoveYourSuit
03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
One more time, Ramirez still needs some seasoning on the field, he might not come north.

I think the same can be said about the other two option at 2B. Richar very inexperienced at ML level and Uribe has not played there in like 4 years.

I don't think the in-experience factor will play a role because of this.

If this kid hits Ozzie will take him north.

Now Financially and the $4million due to Uribe, that is tough call. But if we wan't to win money should not mean a thing.

DumpJerry
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I think the same can be said about the other two option at 2B. Richar very inexperienced at ML level and Uribe has not played there in like 4 years.

Now Financially and the $4million due to Uribe, that is tough call. But if we wan't to win money should not mean a thing.
If Uribe is not traded, he's coming north. I can't see him going to Charlotte.

I like Alexei's bat so far, but it against major and minor league pitchers.

spawn
03-07-2008, 11:54 AM

He's hitting well right now...that could change. If it does, right now his defense isn't good enough to earn him a spot on the team. I think people are getting a litle too excited about what he's done EARLY in ST. i'm not saying he won't be something special, I just think we need to see more so we can get an accurate and realistic read on him.

oeo
03-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Richar is inexperienced, but he's proven that he can hit AAA pitching. You have to get your experience sometime.

Please tell me when Alexei has proven that he can hit AAA pitching consistently. A fast start in Spring Training does not equate.

Richar is ready to go. He got some experience last year, and really improved in September. He's got some pop, good plate discipline, and shown that he can hit for average in the minors...I think he's our best bet right now.

kittle42
03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I officially have someone back on my ignore list.

Carolina Kenny
03-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Richar is inexperienced, but he's proven that he can hit AAA pitching. You have to get your experience sometime.

Please tell me when Alexei has proven that he can hit AAA pitching consistently. A fast start in Spring Training does not equate.

Richar is ready to go. He got some experience last year, and really improved in September. He's got some pop, good plate discipline, and shown that he can hit for average in the minors...I think he's our best bet right now.

I agree. I will be very surprised if Richar is not given every opportunity to start the season as our regular 2nd baseman.

In regards to the original question, isn't the Japanese league considered to be a higher league than the Cuban league?

skottyj242
03-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Alexi isn't making 12 million or whatever a year.

munchman33
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
How come theres a spotlight on FUKUDOMANIA in the papers and nothing on ALEXIMANIA?
Ramirez has better stats thus far, than the Asian Dude!!!
Why?Are Japanese better than Cubans?
Ill go as far and say Ramirez will produce better this season than Fuku!!!
Alexi is gonna be an allstar someday soon.

Because the bulk of scouts compare the Cuban leagues to high A ball.

oeo
03-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Because the bulk of scouts compare the Cuban leagues to high A ball.

And how do you measure that?

Sure, you can give an estimate...doesn't mean it's correct. At least in Alexei's case, he appears to be a lot more advanced than High A.

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with a)Fukudome being a Flub (he would not get this kind of Chicago media attention if he signed with the Sox) and b)He's getting paid a lot of money.

thomas35forever
03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Maybe he does need seasoning (personally I was looking forward to seeing him at the ML level this year), but how long do we have to wait? We can't keep him in the minors for four years.

Craig Grebeck
03-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Sure, you can give an estimate...doesn't mean it's correct. At least in Alexei's case, he appears to be a lot more advanced than High A.

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with a)Fukudome being a Flub (he would not get this kind of Chicago media attention if he signed with the Sox) and b)He's getting paid a lot of money.
Please. Alexei has been tearing the cover off the ball in glorified batting practice.

Craig Grebeck
03-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Maybe he does need seasoning (personally I was looking forward to seeing him at the ML level this year), but how long do we have to wait? We can't keep him in the minors for four years.
2009. Give him most/all of the year in AAA and after Cabrera walks put him at SS.

oeo
03-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Please. Alexei has been tearing the cover off the ball in glorified batting practice.

:lol:

Please, yourself. If it was 'glorified batting practice' you would see a hell of a lot more offense in these games. He's hitting off of big leaguers; it's not as if it's a bunch of A pitchers. Can he sustain it? We'll see, but you wouldn't say from what you've seen so far that he's more advanced than High A?

And it wasn't as if he was an absolute beast in Cuba, so I have to disagree with that ballpark figure given by munchman's 'scouts.'

Craig Grebeck
03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
:lol:

Please, yourself. If it was 'glorified batting practice' you would see a hell of a lot more offense in these games. He's hitting off of big leaguers. Can he sustain it? We'll see, but you wouldn't say from what you've seen so far that he's more advanced than High A?
Perhaps he is. But lots of guys are tearing the cover off the ball. There's no justification for rushing him. Richar is ready.

oeo
03-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Perhaps he is. But lots of guys are tearing the cover off the ball. There's no justification for rushing him. Richar is ready.

Where have I said they should rush him? :?:

As a matter of fact, if you look at one of my posts in this thread, I mention that Richar is ready to go right now.

Craig Grebeck
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Where have I said they should rush him? :?:

As a matter of fact, if you look at one of my posts in this thread, I mention that Richar is ready to go right now.
I didn't mean to address it to you OEO. I know where you stand on that. My bad.

I'm addressing the "Ramirez All Star 2008!" crowd who wants to use trial by fire on one of our more promising long term guys.

john2499
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM

What is he? A plate of plantains?

JermaineDye05
03-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I think mostly because as someone stated before, Fukudome is getting paid a lot more then Alexei. Also, I'm not sure about this but I think Japanese baseball is a little tougher then Cuban ball as I've heard Cuban ball is comparable to A or AA ball. Plus there was also the fact that a lot of teams were after Fukudome and Alexei was more of an under the radar signing. I'm sure next year we'll be hearing a lot about Alexei.

kittle42
03-07-2008, 03:24 PM
What is he? A plate of plantains?

I suggest Mrs. Dash.

munchman33
03-07-2008, 03:30 PM

The league he played in has nothing to do with his talent.

But, as a said, the bulk of SCOUTS agree that the Cuban leagues are full of A ball equivalent players. I'm not going to argue with scout's takes of things.

Fukudome comes from Japan, where the talent level more like AAAA. In comparison, Alexei has a lot to prove.

PalehosePlanet
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM
He's hitting well right now...that could change. If it does, right now his defense isn't good enough to earn him a spot on the team. I think people are getting a litle too excited about what he's done EARLY in ST. i'm not saying he won't be something special, I just think we need to see more so we can get an accurate and realistic read on him.

He's played much better defense than Crede or Cabrera. If they deserve some slack and some time to get into a groove defensively why doesn't Alexi?

spawn
03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
He's played much better defense than Crede or Cabrera. If they deserve some slack and some time to get into a groove defensively why doesn't Alexi?
Because Crede and Cabrera have earned it. They both have a history of being good defensively. Cabrera has a Gold Glove, and Crede should have one. Ramirez doesn't have that history, so he's not going to get the same slack as they get.