PDA

View Full Version : Rockabilly Strikes Again: Konerko to the Mets?

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
From Rosenthal

If the Mets wanted to do something truly extravagant, they could make a run at White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, who remains quietly available, according to a major-league source.

The problem is, the Mets owe Delgado $20 million $16 million this season, plus a $4 million buyout and Konerko is guaranteed $12 million in each of the next three seasons.

Even for a New York team, that's a little much.
Unlikely as a trade of Konerko might be, such a move would be especially appealing to the White Sox if they could acquire a quality starting pitcher in return. Right-hander Jose Contreras is back to throwing 93 to 94 mph, but the White Sox still plan to use two inexperienced starters, lefty John Danks and righty Gavin Floyd.
Konerko, because of his service time, will gain full no-trade protection early in the season. The White Sox could move center fielder Nick Swisher or left fielder/third baseman Josh Fields to first and keep Joe Crede at third in his final year before becoming a free agent.

soxfan13
03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Paulie for Santana done deal!!!!!!:tongue: I forgot with the mets paying all Santanas salary

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Rosenthal also mentions Konerko to the yankees is also a possibility.

Foulke You
03-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Sounds like random media speculation to me. I'm not sure what the Mets have that would match up with our needs. They aren't going to give us Reyes or any of their quality starting pitchers for Paulie and their minor league system has been emptied since the Santana deal. It doesn't seem like they are logical trade partners at this point in time.:?:

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 12:33 PM
If the Sox trade PK I would love for KW to go out in the offseason and sign Teixeira

btrain929
They don't have any starting pitchers that we'd want. Pedro will be limping through the year, they won't trade Maine. Oliver Perez is coming off a career year. And they don't have any stud minor league pitchers.

I don't see a fit.

Now if SF wants to attempt to reload instead of rebuild, they would be a good match. They have pitching depth (young, quality, pitching depth). But even that is highly unlikely.

btrain929
If the Sox trade PK I would love for KW to go out in the offseason and sign Teixeira

I would too, but..........

Teixeira = Boras.

CHIsoxNation
03-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't know much about the Mets farm system, but I can't think of anyone I'd like to see the Sox get in return besides the guys we don't have a chance of getting (Reyes, Santana, Wright, Maine, etc..).

I think we'd match up better with the Yankees.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't think Konerko is going to wind up going anywhere.

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know much about the Mets farm system, but I can't think of anyone I'd like to see the Sox get in return besides the guys we don't have a chance of getting (Reyes, Santana, Wright, Maine, etc..).

I agree I rather deal with the Yankees and get Melky & Hughes

btrain929
03-06-2008, 12:36 PM

I'd love to get Chien Ming Wang (sp?). 28 y/o, with a good sinker. If the Yanks are serious about letting the young guns start (Kennedy/Chamberlain/Hughes), it might be possible.

Plus, the Yanks and Wang went to arbitration, which might have left a bad taste in both sides' mouthes.

spiffie
03-06-2008, 12:37 PM
They don't have any starting pitchers that we'd want. Pedro will be limping through the year, they won't trade Maine. Oliver Perez is coming off a career year. And they don't have any stud minor league pitchers.

I don't see a fit.

Now if SF wants to attempt to reload instead of rebuild, they would be a good match. They have pitching depth (young, quality, pitching depth). But even that is highly unlikely.
Konerko for Rowand.

Chicken Dinner
03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Trading Garland for Cabrera and then trading Konerko for pitching doesn't make any sense.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Trading Garland for Cabrera and then trading Konerko for pitching doesn't make any sense.

We have an in-house replacement at 1B (Swisher), which would make it make sense. So we don't lose anything at 1B (we actually gain as far as numbers and contract are concerned), we upgrade at SS, and we break even at SP (lost Garland, but pick up a Cain or Wang or someone of that nature.)

Garland
Konerko
Uribe

vs

Cain/Wang
Swisher
Cabrera

I'd rather have the 2nd group.

veeter
03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't think Konerko is going to wind up going anywhere.I agree. First of all, 90% of all players are "quietly available". Way to be vague Phil. This is pre- 2005 stuff. Where these writers thought of the Sox as providers of talent to the "real" teams. The Sox plan on contending, so trading your captain three weeks before opening day makes zero sense.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I agree. First of all, 90% of all players are "quietly available". Way to be vague Phil. This is pre- 2005 stuff. Where these writers thought of the Sox as providers of talent to the "real" teams. The Sox plan on contending, so trading your captain three weeks before opening day makes zero sense.

Haha, good point.

I agree that this is very unlikely happening, and the only way I'd be okay with it is if we got a Cain/Wang in return. But then you have to look at it from the other team's point of view and see if it makes sense to them.

Overall, I don't think we'll see any new starters added to our team. All the decisions will be made from in-house players. If we make any trades, we'll probably get prospects in return.

munchman33
03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree. First of all, 90% of all players are "quietly available". Way to be vague Phil. This is pre- 2005 stuff. Where these writers thought of the Sox as providers of talent to the "real" teams. The Sox plan on contending, so trading your captain three weeks before opening day makes zero sense.

Unless you have no pitching. I think that's the point Phil was trying to make. That the Sox could be persuaded to let Konerko go for a young starter.

chisoxmike
03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
The thread title should be "Rosenthal says Mets should pursue Konerko."

Or as it was just changed to... :rolling:

voodoochile
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Unless you have no pitching. I think that's the point Phil was trying to make. That the Sox could be persuaded to let Konerko go for a young starter.

:rolling:

Edit: Hey, maybe we can trade him to Oakland for DLS and Gio...

sox1970
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Not buying it.

If the Sox were going to trade Konerko, they would have done it a long time ago.

voodoochile
03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
The thread title should be "Rosenthal says Mets should pursue Konerko."

Or as it was just changed to... :rolling:

I swear I think we should change the name of this forum to Rockabilly's Rumor Roundtable.

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Whoever put my name in the title should know its not my dam rumor if you have a problem with it talk to Rosenthal...

I thought this is a site for Sox news and rumors not petty as bull ****... So I guess we are not suppose to bring up rumors that a baseball experts puts out there...

veeter
03-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Unless you have no pitching. I think that's the point Phil was trying to make. That the Sox could be persuaded to let Konerko go for a young starter.Well, he would have to be young but established. Like Cain or Wang like somebody mentioned. Because we already have young, in Danks and Gavin.

areilly
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Ken Rosenthal is the Fox Sports baseball reporter.

Phil Rosenthal is the Tribune media columnist.

voodoochile
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Whoever put my name in the title should know its not my dam rumor if you have a problem with it talk to Rosenthal...

I thought this is a site for Sox news and rumors not petty as bull ****... So I guess we are not suppose to bring up rumors that a baseball experts puts out there...

If you are going to "report" on every vague rumor you see posted anywhere in the media or on the Internet, you are going to see a lot more titles like this.

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I swear I think we should change the name of this forum to Rockabilly's Rumor Roundtable.

you weren't saying this crap when I gave everyone on this site the Quentin deal before any expert mention it

veeter
03-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Ken Rosenthal is the Fox Sports baseball reporter.

Phil Rosenthal is the Tribune media columnist.I called him Phil too.:redface:

voodoochile
you weren't saying this crap when I gave everyone on this site the Quentin deal before any expert mention it

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2791

Rockabilly
If you are going to "report" on every vague rumor you see posted anywhere in the media or on the Internet, you are going to see a lot more titles like this.

its a rumor for people to talk about even how vague the rumor might or might not be its still Sox news... Fox sports is a great site its not like I mention i got it from mlbtraderumors

veeter
03-06-2008, 12:55 PM
[quote=Rockabilly;1813042]you weren't saying this crap when I gave Rockabilly, take a joke. Everything's o.k.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I thought this is a site for Sox news and rumors not petty as bull ****... So I guess we are not suppose to bring up rumors that a baseball experts puts out there...[/quote]

This is the forum for rumors. I don't see anything wrong with what you did. And like you said, Rosenthal is pretty established.

Now if you quoted Impacto Deportivo.....

I'm behind ya, brother.

Domeshot17
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Is Rockabilly the 2nd coming of Otis??

I hope so, because 1 Otis is just not enough!

oeo
03-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Is Rockabilly the 2nd coming of Otis??

I hope so, because 1 Otis is just not enough!

How are the two the same? :?:

Otis claims he has a source in the Red Sox organization, and Rockabilly does what anyone can do: search the web.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Otis claims he has a source in the Red Sox organization, and Rockabilly does what anyone can do: search the web.

And he lives on the West Coast (I think), so he can report on what the rumblings on the radio are discussing over there.

oeo
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM
And he lives on the West Coast (I think), so he can report on what the rumblings on the radio are discussing over there.

Honestly, I think he just types in 'mlbtraderumors.com' into his web browser. Everything he posts, is posted there first.

The only problem is, links appear to be illegal with him. :dunno:

CHIsoxNation
03-06-2008, 01:14 PM

I thought Rockabilly said he has friends in AZ and some other organization?

Rockabilly at least has a track record of being correct in a few instances. I'll take that over the people that post all the internet rumor crap on mlbtraderumors.com every day.

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Rockabilly at least has a track record of being correct in a few instances. I'll take that over the people that post all the internet rumor crap on mlbtraderumors.com every day.

I do have a very good friend in the D Backs Front Office and he did give me the Quentin deal so I mention it on this site before any expert had it..

oeo
03-06-2008, 01:19 PM

Rockabilly at least has a track record of being correct in a few instances.

And he was spot on with it before the media outlets. He's only used that 'source' once, though. Every other time (besides a Konerko to D'Backs rumor), he has just gotten it from mlbtraderumors.

I'll take that over the people that post all the internet rumor crap on mlbtraderumors.com every day.

Do people still believe that mlbtraderumors.com is just some random rumors from unknown 'sources?' :o:

It's just a bunch of links to different media outlets. Go check it out; you will hardly ever see a 'one of my sources tells me' rumor.

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
And he was spot on with it before the media outlets. He's only used that 'source' once, though. Every other time (besides a Konerko to D'Backs rumor), he has just gotten it from mlbtraderumors.

Do people still believe that mlbtraderumors.com is just some random rumors from unknown 'sources?' :o:

It's just a bunch of links to different media outlets. Go check it out; you will hardly ever see a 'one of my sources tells me' rumor.

I only used my AZ source once because it had to do with the Sox so thats why he gave me the info.. He is probably not going to get me every deal that the D backs make..

I gave the PK rumor through Fox Sports and not mlb traderumors..

doublem23
03-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Part of the reason the Sox dealt Jon was because of his contract status... Isn't he an FA after this or next season? I guess they wanted to move him when his value was still pretty high since they felt they could not bring him back at an affordable price.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Part of the reason the Sox dealt Jon was because of his contract status... Isn't he an FA after this or next season? I guess they wanted to move him when his value was still pretty high since they felt they could not bring him back at an affordable price.

Yes, Garland is a free agent after this ('08) season...

He's a West Coast guy. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him to an extension.

jabrch
03-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Konerko to the Mets or the Yanks....

Sure - I hope we are getting Fernando Martinez or Phillip Hughes back... If not, I'm probably not very interested.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Konerko to the Mets or the Yanks....

Sure - I hope we are getting Fernando Martinez or Phillip Hughes back... If not, I'm probably not very interested.

1) If they wouldn't give him up for Santana, I doubt we get Martinez for Konerko.

2) I'd rather have Wang than Hughes.

CHIsoxNation
03-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Yeah I've seen the site. I actually go to www.prosportsdaily.com (http://www.prosportsdaily.com) and get the same info, minus all of the speculation and ideas that mlbtraderumors guy dishes out. I've seen people quoting that guy as their 'source' when he is pretty much just expanding on what he has read in the papers like the rest of us. I agree that this Konerko rumor is just speculation on Rosenthal's part but I give Rockabilly some credibility for at least getting the Quentin thing right. As long as he doesn't start hearing these rumors in airports.

Edit: And for the record, I really don't see Konerko going anywhere. But if he does, I hope it's to someone like the Yankees or Giants.

sox1970
03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah I've seen the site. I actually go to www.prosportsdaily.com (http://www.prosportsdaily.com) and get the same info, minus all of the speculation and ideas that mlbtraderumors guy dishes out. I've seen people quoting that guy as their 'source' when he is pretty much just expanding on what he has read in the papers like the rest of us.

I agree that this Konerko rumor is just speculation on Rosenthal's part but I give Rockabilly some credibility for at least getting the Quentin thing right. As long as he doesn't start hearing these rumors in airports.

He said it the day the trade was made. Until he starts saying what will happen at least a few days in advance, I'm not giving him much credit.

jabrch
03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
1) If they wouldn't give him up for Santana, I doubt we get Martinez for Konerko.

2) I'd rather have Wang than Hughes.

Konerko is signed cheap for 3 years - Santana cost them 20mm per. That said - I'm sure they aren't trading him. But past him, I'm not sure the Mets have a ton that I'd want, that they'd trade.

And I would much rather have Hughes than Wang. Wang is good for a 3.75 - 4.00 ERA. But Hughes has the potential to be a #1 SP. Wang is making 5mm this year, and more to come. Hughes is just starting his clock...

That said, I should have put that post in deep pink. Those guys probably aren't available

kittle42
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM

English, please.

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 01:47 PM
The White Sox could move center fielder Nick Swisher or left fielder/third baseman Josh Fields to first and keep Joe Crede at third in his final year before becoming a free agent.

:o: OH NO!! Someone block Craig Grebeck from reading this thread - STAT!!:o:

thomas35forever
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm not getting rid of our cleanup hitter unless we get another one in return.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not getting rid of our cleanup hitter unless we get another one in return.

That's the point of dealing from a position of strength: to strengthen another part of your team. If a team traded one cleanup hitter for another, what would be the point of the trade?

Plus, I'd have no problem with Swisher or Dye in the 4 hole, the other batting 5th, and Fields batting 6th.

Thome
Dye
Swisher
Fields

LRLR. Trust me, we'd manage to get by if we didn't get a cleanup hitter in return.

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 01:56 PM

Well.. to let you know - some of us appreciate it. So thanks!! :gulp:

veeter
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
:D::o: OH NO!! Someone block Craig Grebeck from reading this thread - STAT!!:o:

RowanDye
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM

I think your threads are better than most in "What's the Score?".

Some people are complaining that you're just doing simple web searches, while others are complaining that you're not giving links?!

I usually take your threads as simply intending to open a discussion about a rumor (no matter how baseless).

It might help some people if you end your posts with a question, like "Does anyone think this trade would make sense for the White Sox?".

btrain929
03-06-2008, 02:40 PM
To throw another spin on it, Rockabilly, I'd take it as a compliment that your name is in the title thread. You've had success in the past with your updates on possible trades and rumors. So when it says you strike again, that means it could be something very good, instead of the weekly Uribe/BA/Crede for Lincecum or Crawford trade idea threads that start.

Just my .2....

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Good point Btrain. Also, I think that's what WTS is for.. discussion - so I like it.

Although Btrain gives $.20, I apparently am not as well endowed financially, so can only my $.02...

btrain929
03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Good point Btrain. Also, I think that's what WTS is for.. discussion - so I like it.

Although Btrain gives $.20, I apparently am not as well endowed financially, so can only my my $.02...

Hahaha. Well played, sir :gulp:

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Hahaha. Well played, sir :gulp:

I'm sorry I had to. Poor joke at your expense

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Moving Konerko to keep Crede is obtuse. Simple as that. Move the better, healthier player to keep the below average, fragile one. Sign me up!

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Moving Konerko to keep Crede is obtuse. Simple as that. Move the better, healthier player to keep the below average, fragile one. Sign me up!

NOO!!! Hang in there Craig, it's only a rumor.:redneck

EDIT: Apparently that smilie is for a redneck, but I had always assumed it was a sarcastic smilie - hence the teal.

Nellie_Fox
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
NOO!!! Hang in there Craig, it's only a rumor.:redneck

EDIT: Apparently that smilie is for a redneck, but I had always assumed it was a sarcastic smilie - hence the teal.The way I read it, it's not even a rumor. It's the writer speculating on something he thinks the Mets should be considering.

balke
03-06-2008, 03:35 PM
The way I read it, it's not even a rumor. It's the writer speculating on something he thinks the Mets should be considering.

Not to mention the "Konerko is quietly available" part is complete B.S. That has been refuted all offseason. They aren't trading the team captain unless some deal that absolutely blows them away comes along.

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
The way I read it, it's not even a rumor. It's the writer speculating on something he thinks the Mets should be considering.

You're right. I was more focusing on Grebeck's health - not the actual article.

cards press box
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't think Konerko is going to wind up going anywhere.

I agree.

A. Cavatica
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't see how a slightly above average first baseman brings back anything better than an average starting pitcher; i.e., Konerko is worth a #3. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less, depending on age and salary considerations. But we do need a #3 starter.

If Konerko is traded, Fields probably goes to first, but Crede's days would still be numbered. If both Konerko and Crede are dealt, we have Swisher at first and an outfield of Quentin, Owens/Anderson, and Dye.

PalehosePlanet
03-07-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't see how a slightly above average first baseman brings back anything better than an average starting pitcher; i.e., Konerko is worth a #3. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less, depending on age and salary considerations. But we do need a #3 starter.

If Konerko is traded, Fields probably goes to first, but Crede's days would still be numbered. If both Konerko and Crede are dealt, we have Swisher at first and an outfield of Quentin, Owens/Anderson, and Dye.

Over the last 4 years he's averaged 37 HR's and 105 RBI. What other first baseman in baseball can equal or better that? Pujols, Teixera, Delgado, Berkman, and that's probably about it.

I don't understand how he is a slightly above average first baseman. Most teams would love to have that type of consistent production from their 1B but simply don't have it.

spiffie
03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Over the last 4 years he's averaged 37 HR's and 105 RBI. What other first baseman in baseball can equal or better that? Pujols, Teixera, Delgado, Berkman, and that's probably about it.

I don't understand how he is a slightly above average first baseman. Most teams would love to have that type of consistent production from their 1B but simply don't have it.
Paulie's OPS rankings among 1st basemen the last 4 years:
2007 - 14th
2006 - 6th
2005 - 8th
2004 - 8th

He's always been consistently above average outside of last year, but never once in the top 5, even in his very best year.

voodoochile
03-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Paulie's OPS rankings among 1st basemen the last 4 years:
2007 - 14th
2006 - 6th
2005 - 8th
2004 - 8th

He's always been consistently above average outside of last year, but never once in the top 5, even in his very best year.

AL Ranking for 1B SLG% last 4 years:

2007 - 4th
2006 - 2nd
2005 - 3rd
2004 - 4th

All of MLB:

2007 - 13th
2006 - 6th
2005 - 7th
2004 - 7th

Let's not undervalue his power, it's why he bats 4th not third.

spiffie
03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
AL Ranking for 1B SLG% last 4 years:

2007 - 4th
2006 - 2nd
2005 - 3rd
2004 - 4th

All of MLB:

2007 - 13th
2006 - 6th
2005 - 7th
2004 - 7th

Let's not undervalue his power, it's why he bats 4th not third.
His SLG ratings in all of MLB are pretty much the same as his OPS ratings on a year to year basis. He's one place higher most years if you just look at his SLG%. If anything what you posted just makes it more clear that he's above average but not amazing.

Also, you have to look at his cost. You're paying $12 million a year for Paulie's production. Last year 13 guys had better OPS than PK. They cost (guys more expensive than PK in bold):
1. Carlos Pena - $800,000
2. Prince Fielder - $415,000
3. Albert Pujols - $15,000,000
4. Ryan Howard - $900,000
5. Mark Teixiera - $9,000,000
6. Todd Helton - $16,600,000
7. Derrek Lee - $13,000,000
8. Lance Berkman - $14,500,000
9. Dmitri Young - $500,000
10. Carlos Guillen - $5,000,000
11. Adrian Gonzalez - $500,000
12. Kevin Youikilis - $424,500
13. Ryan Garko - $383,100
14. Paul Konerko - $12,000,000

Tragg
03-07-2008, 10:44 PM
His SLG ratings in all of MLB are pretty much the same as his OPS ratings on a year to year basis. He's one place higher most years if you just look at his SLG%. If anything what you posted just makes it more clear that he's above average but not amazing.

Also, you have to look at his cost. You're paying $12 million a year for Paulie's production. Last year 13 guys had better OPS than PK. They cost (guys more expensive than PK in bold):
Keep going, though. Any below him production wise that are paid more than him? Maybe not, I don't know. And a couple of those guys just haven't gotten their money yet...they will. 12 mill seems about right for his usual production.

EndemicSox
03-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Depends on the return, if the Sox are going to trade Paulie...I'm banking on the deadline, however...

I thought Paulie's swing looked much slower last season compared to past year's, so I'm not sure he has as much value as we would like to believe at this point in time...

cws05champ
03-07-2008, 11:19 PM

So would you rather have Pena over Paulie regardless of their salaries? :scratch:

FarWestChicago
03-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Most teams would love to have that type of consistent production from their 1B but simply don't have it.Did you just put Paulie and "consistent" in the same sentence? There's something you don't see every day. :o:

IlliniSox4Life
03-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Did you just put Paulie and "consistent" in the same sentence? There's something you don't see every day. :o:

He's fairly consistent from year to year, but not so much from week to week or month to month.

And I agree with all those who said that of course Paulie is "quietly available" if somebody wants to come across and make us an offer we can't refuse. But no team is going to offer us what we would want.