PDA

View Full Version : Kris Honel signs with Cardinals

rdivaldi
03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
This one completely slipped under my radar. I thought he was a shoo-in to sign with his favorite team in the whole wide world?

The Cardinals' minor-league officials watched former first-round pick Kris Honel throw in a tryout Monday. The righthander hit 88 mph to 91 mph on the gun and showed an unrefined delivery that could account for command concerns.

doublem23
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
This one completely slipped under my radar. I thought he was a shoo-in to sign with his favorite team in the whole wide world?

I think the Sox got a little tired of Honel after a few seasons. Not that I expect him to ever break into the Show, but he needed a fresh start.

DSpivack
03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Sounds like every other Cards pitcher.

munchman33
03-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Didn't he retire? Shouldn't we still own his rights?

Huisj
03-06-2008, 10:02 PM

I actually thought the retirement was some sort of technicality that actually allowed him to walk away from the Sox and explore other options down the road. I don't remember the exact details of how that worked, but I thought that's what I read when it was first announced.

Optipessimism
03-06-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't think that matters anymore. There are always projects around and I'm sure we could find one with a much better chance of success than Honel. Hell, I wouldn't even trade Sisco for Honel. At least Andy's arm might be able to get us a longshot with some upside ala the Aardsma deal.