PDA

View Full Version : Tasteless commercials w/ Harry Caray imitator

Railsplitter
03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Whether or not you liked Harry Caray as annoucer, these AT&T commericals with the Harry Caray imitator have no taste. The man has been dead for ten years, so why do they feel the need for same second rate actor in Coke bottle glases doing an imitation of Caray.

Viva Medias B's
03-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Whether or not you liked Harry Caray as annoucer, these AT&T commericals with the Harry Caray imitator have no taste. The man has been dead for ten years, so why do they feel the need for same second rate actor in Coke bottle glases doing an imitation of Caray.

I agree. These commercials are stupid.

TomBradley72
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM

I thought the same thing.

jabrch
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
If the Caray family doesn't mind (which they don't) why do you?

ksimpson14
03-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I was just thinking this today, I don't know if it was a commercial, but I heard some horrible impression on the radio, all the impressions people try of him are just plain bad, that's enough please!

grv1974
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Exactly. Also, does anybody recognize this guy? He did those McDonald's commercials back around '96 with the thick Chicago accent.

yazz32
03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Is it me or is the impersonator Jamie Kennedy from the Jamie Kennedy experiment?

grv1974
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Is it me or is the impersonator Jamie Kennedy from the Jamie Kennedy experiment?

Nope, it's Chicago native and comedian John Campanera.

sox1970
03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Exactly. Also, does anybody recognize this guy? He did those McDonald's commercials back around '96 with the thick Chicago accent.

John Caponera

rdwj
03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't care if Harry Caray commercials exist or not, but those AT&T ones suck the big one. The guy looks nothing like Harry and I've heard better impressions from drunk friends at 2 am. Just horrible!!

chisoxjtrain
03-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I know Johnny Caponera, he is from my neighborhood (Canaryville).

Frontman
03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Johnny's impression used to be pretty good, but I just heard it on the radio tonight, and GOOD GAWD!

The man shouldn't be doing that impression, as I think he's slipped a bit himself.

EndemicSox
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Pretty blatant rip-off of Will Ferrell, unless Will Ferrell ripped off someone else...

ShoelessJoeS
03-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I thought the one about the hot dog and rib combo was hilarious.

Maybe I'm the only one...

JorgeFabregas
03-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Pretty blatant rip-off of Will Ferrell, unless Will Ferrell ripped off someone else...
Yeah, it sounds like an impression of Will Ferrell's impression. A copy of a copy, if you will.

grv1974
03-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah, it sounds like an impression of Will Ferrell's impression. A copy of a copy, if you will.

I think John Campanera was doing it first. See this clip from '91.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83zNXhMLqk

DumpJerry
03-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Those ads are horrendous. The Cub fan in my office agrees. That guy is nothing like Harry.

kittle42
03-06-2008, 12:27 AM

Those Chicago accent commercials were the worst ****ing commercials ever.

chisoxjtrain
03-06-2008, 01:10 AM
I think John Campanera was doing it first. See this clip from '91.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83zNXhMLqk

That is awesome!

HaroMaster87
03-06-2008, 03:40 AM
yeah i liked the hotdog - rib one too...actually laughed out load at that one...

Railsplitter
03-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Maybe they're getting paid for this.

Does AT&T reay think anybody will believe this is an endorsment from Caray? People have confused actors with charachters they've portrayed.

spawn
03-06-2008, 07:09 AM
I don't think the commercials are tasteless...but they are terrible. I cringe everytime I see or hear them.

skottyj242
03-06-2008, 08:34 AM
People tend to forget that Harry was with the SOX before the was with that other team.

Jason82807
03-06-2008, 08:40 AM
I was just thinking this today, I don't know if it was a commercial, but I heard some horrible impression on the radio, all the impressions people try of him are just plain bad, that's enough please!

I think I heard the same thing. I haven't seen the TV ad everyone's talking about. I agree the radio impression was horrible.

soxfan13
03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
People tend to forget that Harry was with the SOX before the was with that other team.

Yeah since he was with the Cubs people like to forget the 10 years that he was with the White Sox

PatK
03-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Nope, it's Chicago native and comedian John Campanera.

I thought comedians were supposed to be funny. I've never found the guy funny.

Those McDonalds commercials years ago were horrible, as is his Harry impression. Jim Volkman does the best Harry in town, in my opinion.

I know in Chicago that we tend to love our own, but this guy is just terrible.

skottyj242
03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
"Oh no, not blinker boy again."

Jerko
03-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I thought comedians were supposed to be funny. I've never found the guy funny.

And if he WAS copying Will Ferrell, he still wouldn't be funny, so it really doesn't matter who did it first IMO.

CubKilla
03-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Ed Volkman's (Ex-Channel 2 News Weatherman) son does a DEAD ON Harry Carey impression. Not all Harry Carey impressions are as bad as this guy or Will Ferrall.

I think he still does it occasionally now for Brandmeier's morning show but he was a semi-permanent guest when Kevin Matthews was on AM 1000 years ago.

kittle42
03-06-2008, 10:05 AM

Ugh, did you *have* to remind me?!

C-Dawg
03-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Ed Volkman's (Ex-Channel 2 News Weatherman) son does a DEAD ON Harry Carey impression. Not all Harry Carey impressions are as bad as this guy or Will Ferrall.

I think he still does it occasionally now for Brandmeier's morning show but he was a semi-permanent guest when Kevin Matthews was on AM 1000 years ago.

Jim Volkman's Harry Carey is the best!

cub killer
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Why don't they ever impersonate the White Sox era Harry Caray, when he was more coherent and was actually able to correctly identify the players on the field?

and if that Camponera guy is from Canaryville (White Sox country) then why the hell is he doing flubs-themed commercials like the McDonald's one with Sammy Steroids (the one where he says "it's good to be loved")

Mr.1Dog
03-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Are Cubkiller and Cubkilla twins?:redneck

kittle42
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Why don't they ever impersonate the White Sox era Harry Caray, when he was more coherent and was actually able to correctly identify the players on the field?

and if that Camponera guy is from Canaryville (White Sox country) then why the hell is he doing flubs-themed commercials like the McDonald's one with Sammy Steroids (the one where he says "it's good to be loved")

You said you hate "Cubsession," but you seem to be awfully focused on all things Cub.

I have easy answers to these questions - first, no one cared nationally about Harry Caray then, and he is generally associated with the Cubs. Second, Camponera likes to make money.

CubKilla
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Best Harry Carey impression ever starts at 1:02.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkIfdw1lzGs

rdwj
03-06-2008, 01:04 PM

That guy is pretty good - and makes the impression funny too. God I miss Kevin's show.

grv1974
03-06-2008, 03:49 PM

That's actually the worst one there ever was.

johnnyg83
03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
On the At&T TV one he does a line about "government cheese" ... heh? That was poignant in the 80s ... maybe ... if Johnny Carson delivered it.

MeteorsSox4367
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
IIRC, Jim Volkman isn't Harry's son. Ed Volkman, the morning guy on B96, is Harry's son.

I agree with the previous comments about Jim Volkman's impression of Harry being superior to that of Caponera.

#1swisher
03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
just saw this during sox/texas it's such a spoof...you can't help but LOL:D:

Frontman
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM

I always wondered if that was Volkman doing Harry on Johnny B/Kev's shows. I have to endorse him as the best Harry impersonator as far as voice and delivery.

BadBobbyJenks
03-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Why do people get worked up that people only associate the drunk who talked about everything but the actual games with the cubs and not the sox?

WSox597
03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
The funniest part about Cub fans idolizing Harry Carey is he was with the Cardinals for years before coming to the South Side.

Their most hated rivals had their beloved broadcaster way before they did. That's most amusing, and most of their fanbase probably doesn't even know it.

Frontman
03-07-2008, 06:35 AM
My favorite memory of Harry was at the Democratic National Convention back in '96. He came out between Al Gore's speech and President Clinton's and sunk "Take me out to the Ballgame" as obviously we reached the 7th inning stretch of the evening.

The guy sitting next to me did not know him by site, and when I told him "You're looking at a legend in Chicago baseball" he got a kick out of it.

skottyj242
03-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Why do people get worked up that people only associate the drunk who talked about everything but the actual games with the cubs and not the sox?

Mine was a terrible Henry impression.

rocky biddle
03-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Johnny is a cousin of one of my best friends. He's a great guy, but these commercials are brutal. If it's possible, I'm simultaneously happy and embarrassed for him.

But I guess at least he's not saying "sangwich" this time...

cleanwsox
03-07-2008, 09:02 AM

I still think of that damn commercial everytime I see someone with their blinker on.

PatK
03-07-2008, 09:32 AM
But I guess at least he's not saying "sangwich" this time...

I've lived in Chicago and the Chicagoland area my whole life and never heard anyone pronounce it "sangwich" until he did in those commercials.

I personally hold John and the SNL "Superfans" skit responsible for making the rest of the nation think that Chicagoans are fat, beef eating mustachioed rubes that just happen to live in a city.

kittle42
03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I personally hold John and the SNL "Superfans" skit responsible for making the rest of the nation think that Chicagoans are fat, beef eating mustachioed rubes that just happen to live in a city.

Well, they are fat.

soxwon
03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I know Johnny Caponera, he is from my neighborhood (Canaryville).

He's a southsider and does a Harry Caray commercial- DISPICABLE?
As an actor i would simply Refuse that role.

Frontman
03-07-2008, 04:55 PM

http://www.harrywalker.com/photos/Ditka_Mike.jpg

"What? I don't have anything to do with that image?"

(Yes, I know Ditka from PA, don't PM me about it. But the whole "look" of the Superfans were in homage to Ditka's mustache at the time.)

grv1974
03-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I still think of that damn commercial everytime I see someone with their blinker on.

LOL.......me, too!

MDF3530
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Jim Volkman's Harry impression is the best, but WSCR's George Ofman isn't bad. Both are better than Caponera's.

Carolina Kenny
03-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I hereby promise:

I will switch stations every time one of these TV or Radio spots play.

Just absolutely tasteless.

jabrch
03-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I hereby promise:

I will switch stations every time one of these TV or Radio spots play.

Just absolutely tasteless.

Harry's family signed off on them...Why is it that you feel they are tasteless? And if the family approves, why do you care?

jabrch
03-10-2008, 10:54 AM
He's a southsider and does a Harry Caray commercial- DISPICABLE?
As an actor i would simply Refuse that role.

Psst...

Harry was with the Sox...before the Cubs.

kitekrazy
03-10-2008, 11:28 AM

That is a terrible commercial.

kittle42
03-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Harry's family signed off on them...Why is it that you feel they are tasteless? And if the family approves, why do you care?

Yeah, what exactly is tasteless about them? They suck and all, but tasteless? No.

russ99
03-10-2008, 02:43 PM
On the At&T TV one he does a line about "government cheese" ... heh? That was poignant in the 80s ... maybe ... if Johnny Carson delivered it.

The part that kills me, is that it looks like they shot that this winter - you can see the snow - in the pressbox at Wrigley Field! So the idiot Cubs signed off on it as well.