PDA

View Full Version : Will B Anderson make the team?

Rockabilly
03-05-2008, 04:44 PM
So far Brian has been playing very well.. I think if the season was to start tomorrow he would make the ball club...

doublem23
03-05-2008, 04:47 PM
So far Brian has been playing very well.. I think if the season was to start tomorrow he would make the ball club...

I agree Anderson has looked good, but unfortunately for him, the season starts 3 1/2 weeks from now. :cool:

I would love to see an outfield of Swisher/Anderson/Dye if they're all hitting well, but at least he's inflating what little tradeability he had, so that's all good.

Daver
03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
That is a good question to ask in about three weeks.

Chicken Dinner
03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Pitchers aren't throwing a lot of breaking stuff yet and that's where his problem is. Lets give it a few more weeks.

Rockabilly
03-05-2008, 04:51 PM

I bring it up for people predicitions it easy to say in a few weeks if he makes the team.. Not only do I think he will make the team , I believe he will be in the starting lineup on opening day...

kittle42
03-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I bring it up for people predicitions it easy to say in a few weeks if he makes the team.. Not only do I think he will make the team , I believe he will be in the starting lineup on opening day...

No. There's my prediction.

JB98
03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
If the other outfielders who are competing for spots (Owens, Quentin) continue to have nagging injuries, that opens a door for BA.

EndemicSox
03-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I hope so, as it is a pleasure watching an athlete like Anderson roam CF...hopefully something simply clicks...

DickAllen72
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
I hope so, as it is a pleasure watching an athlete like Anderson roam CF...hopefully something simply clicks...

As long as it's not his wrist.....:tongue:

thomas35forever
03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
So far Brian has been playing very well
"Off guys who'll be bagging groceries in a couple of weeks."

Irishsox1
03-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Right now, NO...but you never know.

oeo
03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
I think he's going to be dealt. All the playing time is just sweetening a deal.

And I know his numbers look good, but he was still doing the same 'ole **** during the game on Monday. Lots of very ugly swings, and if he gets behind, he's done.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I'd prefer him as a 4th OF over Owens. He's fantastic defensively.

Tragg
03-06-2008, 07:17 AM
I doubt it. He had ane excellent spring last spring but rode the bench a grizzled professional hacker.

As for the 4th OF, he brings great defense to the late innings. The problem with Owens as a 4h OF is that he brings neither great D nor the bench bat that is needed. We're liable to lose either JD or Thome next year or thereafter, and an outfield of Quinten - Anderson-Swisher would be solid in a lot of ways.
Undoubtedly, he has "low value" when it comes to trade - we have plenty of career middle relievers and low ceiling A ball pitchers, so I don't see much gained by trading him.
I hope we trade Uribe, even if it is for one of the above.

BRDSR
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I'd prefer him as a 4th OF over Owens. He's fantastic defensively.

Who's your third OF? I'd be pretty surprised if Quentin starts opening day or starts more than 80 games this season. Of all the Sox' acquisitions over the winter, he's the one I'm least excited about. Nagging injuries from the beginning of spring training=a world of potential that goes entirely unrealized.

Anderson's kind of like Crede on a smaller scale right now. If he has a good spring and we don't get the right deal for him, great. If he has a good spring and we do get the right deal for him, great. If he has a bad spring and we couldn't trade him for a bag of balls...well, he definitely isn't our last resort.

ChiTownTrojan
03-06-2008, 08:12 AM
I hope he makes it, he's the best defensive outfielder we've got and the only true centerfielder. If he makes the team, that allows Swisher to move over to LF and the whole outfield looks real strong. Plus, if he makes the team that means he's doing a much better job at the plate.

I don't think there's any way in the world the Sox can trade Anderson. Let's say that Quentin starts the season on the DL (which looks like it's a pretty good possibility right now). That means we have to start Owens every day. And who's gonna back up any of the three outfield spots? There aren't many qualitity options in the system.

BRDSR
03-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't think there's any way in the world the Sox can trade Anderson. Let's say that Quentin starts the season on the DL (which looks like it's a pretty good possibility right now). That means we have to start Owens every day. And who's gonna back up any of the three outfield spots? There aren't many qualitity options in the system.

A good point, and definitely true if Quentin starts the season on the DL. I don't think he will, though. I think he'll be on and off during spring training, start the season on the bench, get a few starts in a row as soon as Owens goes 0-for-a-series, injure the groin for real, and then find the DL Pods-style.

skottyj242
03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
If BA makes the team and is the opening day center fielder, who leads off?

SoxWillWin
03-06-2008, 08:28 AM
If no moves are made, he might head north. However, seeing as how popular sentiments are that crede and uribe are trade bait, anderson could be moved with one of them depending on what the return is. We just don't know.

Rockabilly
03-06-2008, 08:29 AM

Cabrera will become the lead off hitter

ChiTownTrojan
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Please no. Swisher can lead off, Cabrera is a #2.

skottyj242
03-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Ugh.

PatK
03-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Has anyone seen the Sun-Times article today?

soxfan13
03-06-2008, 08:48 AM

Is this like, if the tree fell in the forest......ugh nevermind:tongue:

veeter
03-06-2008, 09:00 AM
That is a good question to ask in about three weeks.This is the only answer.

Jaffar
03-06-2008, 09:06 AM

The same person that would if Quentin were to win the starting job.

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Who will lead-off?

EDIT: I was beaten to the punch

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not very impressed with anything that Quentin has shown us, and that is due in large part because he's been hurt. Owens has had like, two good games, but he appears to be made of glass. Having Anderson start in CF with Swisher in LF and leading off would be OK in my book. It'd be nice to have a faster guy leading off, but Swisher will do.

SoxyStu
03-06-2008, 10:39 AM

I'd bet, in three weeks, the question will be moot.

LITTLE NELL
03-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm not very impressed with anything that Quentin has shown us, and that is due in large part because he's been hurt. Owens has had like, two good games, but he appears to be made of glass. Having Anderson start in CF with Swisher in LF and leading off would be OK in my book. It'd be nice to have a faster guy leading off, but Swisher will do.
I agree with you, we cant give up on BA, give him till the all star break to fish or cut bait.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Who will lead off is the least important question. Just put someone there who can get on base, it doesn't matter if he can run or not. If Quentin starts on the DL (which doesn't sound as likely as some are saying), I would love to have BA starting in CF. His defense is very, very, very valuable and his 2006 outproduced Owens' 2007 (tallest midget, admittedly, but his higher OPS combined with MUCH better defense in CF puts him over the top).

But I don't see this is as too likely. Quentin, hopefully, will be in LF and Swisher in CF. Ideally...

Against RHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJP
Fields
Quentin
Richar
(Swisher is an immensely better fit in the two hole as he has better protection and can knock in Cabrera with a double/HR instead of having to roll over to second ala Grinderstad)

Against LHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJP
Quentin
Anderson
Richar
(Anderson switches to CF, Swisher to LF, Quentin to RF, Dye to DH)

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Who will lead off is the least important question. Just put someone there who can get on base, it doesn't matter if he can run or not. If Quentin starts on the DL (which doesn't sound as likely as some are saying), I would love to have BA starting in CF. His defense is very, very, very valuable and his 2006 outproduced Owens' 2007 (tallest midget, admittedly, but his higher OPS combined with MUCH better defense in CF puts him over the top).

But I don't see this is as too likely. Quentin, hopefully, will be in LF and Swisher in CF. Ideally...

Against RHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJP
Fields
Quentin
Richar
(Swisher is an immensely better fit in the two hole as he has better protection and can knock in Cabrera with a double/HR instead of having to roll over to second ala Grinderstad)

Against LHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJP
Quentin
Anderson
Richar
Isn't Cabrera's OBP leading off something like .298? I don't want him leading off, he's a perfect two hitter, I'd rather have Swisher leading off if we're going to have Quentin in LF.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Isn't Cabrera's OBP leading off something like .298? I don't want him leading off, he's a perfect two hitter, I'd rather have Swisher leading off if we're going to have Quentin in LF.
I would like to have someone on base in front of Swisher. Either way he's in front of the 3-4-5.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Also, Cabrera has 391 PA in the leadoff spot...that's not enough to base an opinion on. It's the least amount he's had in any spot in the order (save 9th). It would be foolish to put Swisher ahead of him in the order. Cabrera gets on and there's a good chance Swisher knocks him in; Swisher gets on, there's not as great an opportunity.

spiffie
03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Also, Cabrera has 391 PA in the leadoff spot...that's not enough to base an opinion on. It's the least amount he's had in any spot in the order (save 9th). It would be foolish to put Swisher ahead of him in the order. Cabrera gets on and there's a good chance Swisher knocks him in; Swisher gets on, there's not as great an opportunity.
Also the vast majority of those AB's came early in his career.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
If you have a guy who's an established number two hitter I'm not so sure why you'd want to move him around in the order. Ideally Swisher would bat sixth or so and give a bit of speed to the middle of the lineup and we could have a guy who could get on base frequently and steal bases leading off, but if I had to choose between Cabrera and Swisher leading off, I'd take Swisher. Caberera can move him over if he's on first, if he's on second he can drive him in with a basehit (or again, move him over to third) and then you have two big chances to get that run in...I'm not so sure Swisher can move guys over or anything like that, I'm willing to give it a shot in ST, but if the season were to start tommorrow, Swish is my leadoff guy.

russ99
03-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Pitchers aren't throwing a lot of breaking stuff yet and that's where his problem is. Lets give it a few more weeks.

Anderson is playing every day - it's obvious they're showcasing him for other teams. We'll talk in three weeks - when he's on another club.

Swisher is not a very good option at leadoff. Too much power, not enough speed. He's a prototypical #3 hitter and as Thome's starting to wind down, Ozzie should really take a hard look at moving Big Jim down the order. Otherwise Swisher should be at #6 and Cabrera's a perfect #2.

So unless there's a unforseen injury or player acquistion, we'll see the expected Owens/Ozuna platoon leading off or we'd need to find our RH leadoff hitter from elsewhere, maybe Ramirez at 2B?

Lip Man 1
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
He certainly has a chance especially with the Owens and Quentin situations.

I did think the Ozzie quote today to Dave van Dyck of the Tribune was interesting:

"The only thing about Brian, hopefully he takes this game [seriously] the way we thought he can."

Lip

Carolina Kenny
03-06-2008, 11:50 AM

Against RHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJP
Fields
Quentin
Richar

Against LHP
Cabrera
Swisher
Konerko
Dye
Fields
AJP
Quentin
Anderson
Richar

This lineup will be terrible against LH pitchers. Especially the soft tossing lefties who always seem to kill us.

Chicken Dinner
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
This lineup will be terrible against LH pitchers. Especially the soft tossing lefties who always seem to kill us.

Not to mention that Thome can hit lefties far better then Anderson will ever be able to.

Flight #24
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
If BA keeps this up, he'd better not get traded and he'd better make the team. He's by far the best defender in the OF (at any position), and his history is that after adjusting, he's hit well at every level in the minors.

I'll gladly take a .280+/20HR Anderson playing a stellar CF despite not having great speed and platoon Swisher & Cabrera at leadoff over a .280/50SB Owens. I appreciate the value of speed, but it's not the be-all/end-all.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
If BA keeps this up, he'd better not get traded and he'd better make the team. He's by far the best defender in the OF (at any position), and his history is that after adjusting, he's hit well at every level in the minors.

I'll gladly take a .280+/20HR Anderson playing a stellar CF despite not having great speed and platoon Swisher & Cabrera at leadoff over a .280/50SB Owens. I appreciate the value of speed, but it's not the be-all/end-all.

Well what's your 3rd option? Because neither of the two offensive scenarios you listed above will ever happen...

oeo
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM

This is the same as the Quentin argument. If Owens is batting .280 and getting on base at .350, then I'm all for him batting leadoff. It would be different if we actually had a leadoff hitter.

BA has had good springs before...it's about translating it to the regular season. And if he's still taking some of those swings he took Monday by the regular season (it hasn't been fixed yet, so I don't think it ever will), then it won't be translating to the regular season.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
This is the same as the Quentin argument. If Owens is batting .280 and getting on base at .350, then I'm all for him batting leadoff. It would be different if we actually had a leadoff hitter.

BA has had good springs before...it's about translating it to the regular season. And if he's still taking some of those swings he took Monday by the regular season (it hasn't been fixed yet, so I don't think it ever will), then it won't be translating to the regular season.
.280/.350 will not happen, IMO. It just won't. Quentin posting a .265/.350 is much more likely, and much more valuable.

Tragg
03-06-2008, 01:25 PM

Except that Quentin has demonstrated the skills to do that. Owens is dependent on his ground balls getting between 2 infielders to do that - unlikely.

Well said

duke of dorwood
03-06-2008, 01:34 PM
He certainly he a chance especially with the Owens and Quentin situations.

I did think Ozzie quote today to Dave van Dyck of the Tribune was interesting:

"The only thing about Brian, hopefully he takes this game [seriously] the way we thought he can."

Lip

I hope they reconsider their attitude against BA and keep him-we need outfield defense too

kittle42
03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I hope they reconsider their attitude against BA and keep him-we need outfield defense too

I hope BA reconsiders his inability to hit major-league pitching.

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 02:29 PM

I'm gonna side with the Natalie Wood fan. I mean, I have no idea who she is, and that link hasn't worked in a good 6 months, but that picture is excellent.

Jaffar
03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm gonna side with the Natalie Wood fan. I mean, I have no idea who she is, and that link hasn't worked in a good 6 months, but that picture is excellent.

These were going to be my words exactly!

AZChiSoxFan
03-06-2008, 03:22 PM

You BA haters never stop! The ability to hit major league pitching is soooo overrated!

soxinem1
03-06-2008, 04:26 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/programmes/images/psycho_105x250.jpg

Flight #24
03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Well what's your 3rd option? Because neither of the two offensive scenarios you listed above will ever happen...

Really? Those 365 MLB ABs in 2006 have you convinced Brian'll never amount to anything? Or is it the combined 51 ABs in 06 & 07? He hit a combined .293 in the minors, it's certainly not out of the question for him to hit .280 in the bigs. In fact, post-ASB in 06 he hit .257, which for a rookie is not that bad.

BA may not pan out, but the evidence supporting that is pretty limited, and is generally at least equaled by his minor league history which is fairly strong.

EDIT: FWLIW, 2 BBs today, so another strong outing, and one that demonstrates improvement since OBP has not generally been his strong suit. It's still very early, but he's doing about everything one could have hoped for.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
.280/.350 will not happen, IMO. It just won't. Quentin posting a .265/.350 is much more likely, and much more valuable.
Not if he doesn't get healthy...I'm not so sure if he can stay healthy, I'm not sure if Owens can either.

Cessna
03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm willing to give BA one more shot for a couple of months anyway. I know that I will get solid defense from him and if he shows ability to hit that would be great, but if not you get rid of him and put Owens or Quentin in.

bruno1445
03-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Here's a link to that Natalie Wood photo: http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/Photos/P202203_B71345.html?SID=16c50d7f9ca5c1d6b960001376 7b069d

That reminds me of a joke: What kind of wood doesn't float? :wink:

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Not if he doesn't get healthy...I'm not so sure if he can stay healthy, I'm not sure if Owens can either.
What makes you say that? Will Carroll opined that the type of surgery he had doesn't hinder a batter's stroke very often, and said that his injury is the type that Hermie excels with.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
What makes you say that? Will Carroll opined that the type of surgery he had doesn't hinder a batter's stroke very often, and said that his injury is the type that Hermie excels with.
I know nothing about medicine and I'm probably 100% wrong and I hope I am, but the only thing that makes me think that he's more hurt than he's letting on is the fact that he's played three games...just as Owens playing four games has me just as discouraged.

RowanDye
03-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Don Guillote has weighed in on the issue: http://palehose8.blogspot.com/

:tongue:

Carl's last two strips are priceless.

palehozenychicty
03-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Don Guillote has weighed in on the issue: http://palehose8.blogspot.com/

:tongue:

Carl's last two strips are priceless.

That was mad funny! :cool:

TomBradley72
03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I think BA has a VERY real chance to make this roster. Especially based on some of Ozzie's comments in the press this week. Like most scenarios on this roster...what you do with Ramirez, Quentin's health, how Owens looks, how Swisher looks in CF...all play into whether there's room for him or not.

But he's our only true CF defensively...if he has truly matured and had the "break through" so he can deliver a .270 average while playing Gold Glove type defense...I think Ozzie will want him as an option.

kittle42
03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I think BA has a VERY real chance to make this roster. Especially based on some of Ozzie's comments in the press this week. Like most scenarios on this roster...what you do with Ramirez, Quentin's health, how Owens looks, how Swisher looks in CF...all play into whether there's room for him or not.

But he's our only true CF defensively...if he has truly matured and had the "break through" so he can deliver a .270 average while playing Gold Glove type defense...I think Ozzie will want him as an option.

I wish we had a real CF.

Taliesinrk
03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I wish we had a real CF.

You mean lead-off hitter? We have a real CF - his name is Brian Anderson aka Don. The problem is, if we play our real CF, we have no possibility of a lead-off hitter (unless we trade Thome and move Swisher/Konerko to DH, thus allowing Owens to play LF while trading Crede for SP or pitching prospects).

Tragg
03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Swisher could leadoff; Quinten could lead off; if Richar improves like many think, he has the patience to lead off. None ideal. Owens needs to hit .350OBP minimum to be decent at the job.

Who was our leadoff hitter between Durham and Pods? Anyone remember?

MisterB
03-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Swisher could leadoff; Quinten could lead off; if Richar improves like many think, he has the patience to lead off. None ideal. Owens needs to hit .350OBP minimum to be decent at the job.

Who was our leadoff hitter between Durham and Pods? Anyone remember?

'02 Kenny Lofton
'03 D'angelo Jimenez/Robbie Alomar/Tony Graffanino
'04 Willie Harris/Aaron Rowand/Juan Uribe

...plus others filling in the cracks.

guillen4life13
03-07-2008, 07:01 PM
'02 Kenny Lofton
'03 D'angelo Jimenez/Robbie Alomar/Tony Graffanino
'04 Willie Harris/Aaron Rowand/Juan Uribe

...plus others filling in the cracks.

Wow, now those were the days!

Juan Uribe could lead off!

At the rate he's going, Anderson has to make the team or get traded for a reasonable return. I hope he makes the team and does a good job, making more players expendable without too much of a drop in team performance. Wish Swisher and Fields in the lineup to replace two power hitters' production, then you have the option of letting Dye and Thome or Konerko to give the whole team a new defensive outlook and get back some more pieces, depending on the team needs.

Ideal batting order (my opinion, post 2008):

LF Owens (leads off, replaces Pods/Quentin)
SS Ramirez/OCab (depending on if OCab leaves)
1B Swisher (replace Konerko)
RF Quentin (Olerud type of hitter, replaces Dye defensively)
DH Konerko or Thome
3B Fields (replace Crede)
C Pierzynski/Armstrong
2B Richar/Ramirez
CF Anderson/Ramirez (replace Swisher)

Gone are: Dye (traded for prospects), Thome or Konerko (Konerko traded for pitching or Thome walks), Crede (traded), Uribe (traded), OCab (leaves via FA, we get draft picks). The overall defense is greatly improved from what we're looking at this year, and the pieces the Sox could back through trades could be really worth it.

oeo
03-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Maybe this is BA's problem. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-03/36511801.jpg)

California Sox
03-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Funny picture, but he's reached base 11 of his last 18 ABs. If that's what it takes, I say go for it.

BoysMom3
03-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes, he will. He missed seeing me at the games last summer.

starboy0
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
I remember on June 20th when we beat the Cards 20-6 (it happened on 6-20 and that was the score) in the 1st inning Brian threw to home with a laser throw and I was incredibly impressed with his arm.

I've always liked this guy.

Does anyone remember the play I'm talking about?

BoysMom3
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
You would think I would remember that play, but I don't. I love BA in center field!

We were at that game, and as the game wore on, we had to tone down our enthusiasm more and more. We brought along our then 11 year old niece who is the biggest Cards fan ever. She has had talks from my sister about not crying herself to sleep when the Cards lose, and she was being really tough at this game. I could see the tears, but they didn't fall.

I had my fun at home giving my Cards loving friends a hard time though. The one guy said it was just a win, regardless of the amount of runs we won it by - what, did I think we'd sweep them? So yeah, when we did sweep them, I sent our teenage son to their house to leave the broom on their porch and ring the doorbell and run. When he came to the door he yelled to his wife - there's nobody here...wait, there's a broom..then he yelled our last name and pumped his fist in the air, LOL!

redsand22
03-09-2008, 10:39 AM
another nice game by BA, I'm glad he's doing well!

PolishPower83
03-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I think you have to give this guy another chance. He knew what he needed to do to make the roster and he's doing it. His defense has never been a question, but maybe his offense is finally catching up to him.

Brian26
03-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I remember on June 20th when we beat the Cards 20-6 (it happened on 6-20 and that was the score) in the 1st inning Brian threw to home with a laser throw and I was incredibly impressed with his arm.

I've always liked this guy.

Does anyone remember the play I'm talking about?

I don't remember the specific play, but I'm looking at my scorebook from that game. Taguchi reached first with one out and then advanced to 2nd on an Edmonds' two-out hit. Encarnacion got a base hit after Edmonds to score Taguchi, and I have marked in my book that Encarnacion went to 2nd on the throw. I don't remember if it was a great throw or how close the play at the plate was, but Taguchi scored and BA let someone get into scoring position by throwing past the cutoff man. Spiezio ended the inning by striking out with Edmonds on 3rd and Encarnacion on 2nd.

btrain929
03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
When does Konerko's 10/5 rights kick in? Is it May 1st?

The reason I ask, is if BA does make the team, and actually proves himself even further in April, that would give us a solid OF of Quentin, BA, and Dye, and would allow us to move Swisher to 1B to get a #2 ish SP. You can't move Swisher to 1B if your OF was Quentin/Owens/Dye, but substitute an offensively adequate BA, and I think you can.

Now if Quentin doesn't get healthy as soon as we'd like, then I'm guessing you'd look at an OF of Swisher/BA/Dye, with Owens on the bench and Quentin rehabbing in AAA.

EndemicSox
03-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Pretty much a lock at this point, imo...

If he 'aint, someone in the org simply doesn't like him...

gogosox16
03-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Pretty much a lock at this point, imo...

If he 'aint, someone in the org simply doesn't like him...
Ozzie:redneck

redsand22
03-09-2008, 05:14 PM
When does Konerko's 10/5 rights kick in? Is it May 1st?

The reason I ask, is if BA does make the team, and actually proves himself even further in April, that would give us a solid OF of Quentin, BA, and Dye, and would allow us to move Swisher to 1B to get a #2 ish SP. You can't move Swisher to 1B if your OF was Quentin/Owens/Dye, but substitute an offensively adequate BA, and I think you can.

Now if Quentin doesn't get healthy as soon as we'd like, then I'm guessing you'd look at an OF of Swisher/BA/Dye, with Owens on the bench and Quentin rehabbing in AAA. How do we know that Quentin is solid at all? I know I've really not seen much of him at all.

Craig Grebeck
03-09-2008, 05:31 PM
How do we know that Quentin is solid at all? I know I've really not seen much of him at all.
His numbers in 2006 as well as the trail of devastation he left throughout the minor leagues.

PeoriaSoxFan
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
As of today, Anderson seems to be a lock to go North. He sure has played a lot of innings this spring, due to all of the injuries.

slavko
03-09-2008, 06:06 PM
He certainly has a chance especially with the Owens and Quentin situations.

I did think the Ozzie quote today to Dave van Dyck of the Tribune was interesting:

Lip

That's not a comment you make if you're showcasing a player. That sounds like Oz changing his mind.

balke
03-09-2008, 06:55 PM
IF he stays hot, you have to ride him into the season. You gotta remember, he's playing for his career at this point. He needs to show something, and he has been said for a long time to have the ability.

If he's a solid option at CF going into the season, that pushes a great pinch runner onto the bench in Owens, and puts Swisher/Cabrera as the 1/2 guys in some order.

If Anderson goes into the season strong and keeps it up, the Sox have a solid lineup with room to trade for whatever holes pop-up. Still a lot of time left til opening day though.

RowanDye
03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
As of today, Anderson seems to be a lock to go North. He sure has played a lot of innings this spring, due to all of the injuries.

When I first read this I thought you were being presumptive, but the latest articles from WSOX.com echo your sentiment. In light of the injuries to Owens and Quentin there seems to be an opening, and importantly, some acceptance of Anderson.

Walker's comments were particularly enlightening (see whitesox.com).

This is the best situation for BA, because for once in his life he has to prove himself every day.

I'm still a little worried about his bat, particularly the strikeouts, but even the BA haters have to admit that it's a pleasant surprise to have an emerging option if Quentin and/or Owens can't start the season.

If Quentin has to start on the DL, and Anderson continues showing some promise, then I think Ozzie's hand is kind of forced.

JorgeFabregas
03-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Funny picture, but he's reached base 11 of his last 18 ABs. If that's what it takes, I say go for it.
Granted, his eyes are closed, but he looks ripped.

Lip Man 1
03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Interesting comment today by Greg Walker on BA:

"Anyone can have a good week. We need someone to have a good year.
During the past week, this is the best I've seen BA. But he has to maintain it. We are looking for consistency."-- said to Scott Merkin, White Sox.com

Lip

EMachine10
03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Granted, his eyes are closed, but he looks ripped.
He's always been ripped. I remember a pic of him dominating John Mabry during the brawl that really showed it off.

Anyway, he's been playing quite well, and he is our best defensive outfielder. If the rest of the order performs like they should, then we shouldn't have too much trouble batting him 8th/9th and getting a .250-.260 year out of him. He's got some good power, too.

Let's not forget how long it took Crede and Rowand to become good major league options. It didn't happen overnight and people had similar opinions to them as they do Anderson.

oeo
03-10-2008, 01:30 PM

A lock? On March 10?

There's still 3 weeks to go...what if he went 0-fer the rest of the way?

This in no way means I want him to do that. I'm not a big fan of him, but if he makes the team, we do have a real centerfielder. That said, there's still a lot of time left.

I actually posted it because there have been at least two times this spring (and many more in the past), where BA has taken his eye off the ball and just swung two feet over where the ball was headed. I still question whether this guy can sustain success, when he's still doing little crap like that on a consistent basis.

asg2003ws2005
03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
is ozzie still the manager? if so, then NO

Region Rat
03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
If he finally learned how to hit, I don't see why not. Or we could just let him build up trade value, and get some starting pitching. and maybe Richar hitting leadoff?

BadBobbyJenks
03-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I dont know he looked like the same old Brian Anderson trying to make contact on a few Randy Wolf curveballs Sunday.

Flight #24
03-11-2008, 11:06 AM
It is certainly early, but he's not only sowing an improve hitting ability, but he's drawing a lot more walks than I remember. 0-0 yesterday with a run and a BB, continuing a pretty strong OBP streak.

Yes, reiterating - it is early. But he's doing everything anyone could have asked for to this point and more. And IIRC, usually at this stage, aren't pitchers ahead of hitters?

Heck - if his OBP is up around .350, then he might even be a candidate for leadoff while playing CF. Although it would be much more likely to see Swish or maybe Cabrera there. I just hope that they don't give the job to Owens because he steals more bases if BA continues to hit/walk this well. I like speed, but better D, more power, and similar OBP would significantly outweigh the additional SBs.

SoxyStu
03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Interesting comment today by Greg Walker on BA:

"Anyone can have a good week. We need someone to have a good year.
During the past week, this is the best I've seen BA. But he has to maintain it. We are looking for consistency."-- said to Scott Merkin, White Sox.com

Lip

At least Walker included himself by saying we but I think he probably could have singled himself out even more. I think HE needs a bunch of these guys to have a good year at the plate. I am surprised his head didn't roll last year and a bad start offensively this year should get him canned.

rdivaldi
03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I've never been a fan of BA, but if he can turn it around then it only makes this team better. I've seen all of his televised at bats this spring and he still can't hit a breaking ball IMO.

kittle42
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I've seen all of his televised at bats this spring and he still can't hit a breaking ball IMO.

Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

It's Dankerific
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I've never been a fan of BA, but if he can turn it around then it only makes this team better. I've seen all of his televised at bats this spring and he still can't hit a breaking ball IMO.

You'd think at this point in the spring they'd be throwing him breaking balls.

oeo
03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
You'd think at this point in the spring they'd be throwing him breaking balls.

They are, and he's not hitting them.

Once they start giving him a heavy dose, he's done. He doesn't have the patience to hold off a breaking ball when he's down in the count. Actually, if he's down 0-2 or 1-2, chalk up the K.

Brian, honestly, doesn't look any different than he has the last two years. Pretty soon, I think we can all start calling him a bust.

btrain929
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Once they start giving him a heavy dose, he's done. He doesn't have the patience to hold off a breaking ball when he's down in the count. Actually, if he's down 0-2 or 1-2, chalk up the K.

Brian, honestly, doesn't look any different than he has the last two years. Pretty soon, I think we can all start calling him a bust.

I agree about the breaking balls, but in the past he was taking huuuuuge cuts at fastballs and missing those too. Now, he is putting solid contact on fastballs, putting them into play, and getting base hits. If he can jump on fastballs early in the count, he should be able to hit .250-265 over the course of a season.

We'll see...

spawn
03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball.

PalehosePlanet
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Or a fastball at the letters, particularly on the inner half; yet he always chases it.

The only way he makes the team IMO is if Owens and/or Quentin start the season on the DL.

It's Dankerific
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
march 10: PR GW run
march 9: 1/4
march 8: 2/3 RBI, BB
march 7: 0/2
march 6: 0/1 2 BB

So I'm guessing the teams on march 9 and 7 were the ones throwing all the breaking balls, the team on march 8 forgot, and on march 10 the sox were afraid BA would strike out every at bat so they kept him for a PR.

oeo
03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
march 10: PR GW run
march 9: 1/4
march 8: 2/3 RBI, BB
march 7: 0/2
march 6: 0/1 2 BB

So I'm guessing the teams on march 9 and 7 were the ones throwing all the breaking balls, the team on march 8 forgot, and on march 10 the sox were afraid BA would strike out every at bat so they kept him for a PR.

Yep, I guess you're right.

:?::scratch:

twsoxfan5
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
He just hit a 2 run bomb vs. Vicente Padilla.

spawn
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
He just hit a 2-run homer off Padilla (according to MLB.com's box score).

btrain929
03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
BA just hit a 2 run homer off Vicente Padilla (not an ace, but not a minor league scrub either). Don't know what pitch it was off of, but yeah, the man keeps hitting...

btrain929
03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
He just hit a 2 run bomb vs. Vicente Padilla.

He just hit a 2-run homer off Padilla (according to MLB.com's box score).

God, we're good LOL.

spawn
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM
God, we're good LOL.
:thumbsup:

It's Dankerific
03-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Must have missed the "Just throw breaking balls" memo.

Or Padilla is just working on his fastball location

Or Brian's bat swung by itself

Or Brian screwed up because Ozzie wanted him to bunt.

btrain929
03-11-2008, 03:58 PM
:thumbsup:

I think I read in the Spring Training thread that you were heading down there. Are you still going to Tucson?

ilsox7
03-11-2008, 04:00 PM
BA just saved a baby from a burning building between innings!

thomas35forever
03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Padilla has never what you would consider a lights-out pitcher. It's going to take more than a 2-run bomb off him to convince me he belongs on the 25-man roster.

Flight #24
03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Heading into today, Anderson had 37 ABs, 13 H, 6W. That's a solid walk rate (albiet a small sample size). And we're about halfway through the spring.

If he can add ~.080 to his OBP via BBs, he can put up .270/.350 while playing stellar D and having upper teens/lower 20s HR power. That would be a pretty damn good result in a CF.

spiffie
03-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Heading into today, Anderson had 37 ABs, 13 H, 6W. That's a solid walk rate (albiet a small sample size). And we're about halfway through the spring.

If he can add ~.080 to his OBP via BBs, he can put up .270/.350 while playing stellar D and having upper teens/lower 20s HR power. That would be a pretty damn good result in a CF.
The problem so far has been Brian is unable to replicate his spring training in the real games. Hell, he hit .309 in 2006 Spring Training, and then proceeded to spend much of the year clawing back to the Mendoza Line.

I recognize that he may get to play due to injury, and if he plays I will root for him to kick ass and take names, but I'm certainly not going to expect much from him.

spawn
03-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I think I read in the Spring Training thread that you were heading down there. Are you still going to Tucson?
Yep. I'm going next Monday.

Jaffar
03-11-2008, 04:19 PM

He is 1-1 today with a HR and a BB

Yep. I'm going next Monday.

When the spring games start to count!! I'm jealous :gulp:

redsand22
03-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Padilla has never what you would consider a lights-out pitcher. It's going to take more than a 2-run bomb off him to convince me he belongs on the 25-man roster.
He's been hitting well throughout spring. He's not going to face a lights out pitcher every game. If the injuries that currently exist for our team, go into the begining of the season, do you see someone better to play CF? just curious.

champagne030
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Josh Fields can't hit a curve either, but he's the Tom Brady of MLB. Right? :rolling:

spiffie
03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Josh Fields can't hit a curve either, but he's the Tom Brady of MLB. Right? :rolling:
If you don't see a difference between these two lines:
393 AB, 244/308/480, 23HR
416 AB, 216/279/353, 10HR

then you're just looking to argue at that point.

Flight #24
03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
The problem so far has been Brian is unable to replicate his spring training in the real games. Hell, he hit .309 in 2006 Spring Training, and then proceeded to spend much of the year clawing back to the Mendoza Line.

I recognize that he may get to play due to injury, and if he plays I will root for him to kick ass and take names, but I'm certainly not going to expect much from him.
OK, so now we're using the fact that as a rookie he struggled early on (but hit a respectable ~.260 in the 2d half) as proof that his improvement means little?

According to ESPN:
- in 2007 ST Brian hit .292 with 2HR, 22 total bases in 47 ABs.
- in 2006 ST, Brian hit .309 with 1 HR and 33 total bases in 68ABs.

Thus far in 2008 ST, he's hitting .368 with 2 HR and 25 total bases in 38ABs. And he's got 7 BB's to boot, which I can't compare to previous STs, but certainly is a much higher rate than I can recall him ever having.

All of this is testament to significant improvement, which by the way, jives with the anecdotal tales that he's approached this season with a lot more maturity and preparation than in the past.

At the very least, he's showing that he's the best bet of the 3 unproven kids, since lest we forget, his competition includes Owens who hit .267 and Quentin who hit .214 in 2007. That's not a knock on either of those guys, just that none of them are in any way proven, so of the 3, BA so far looks like the obvious choice.

spiffie
03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
OK, so now we're using the fact that as a rookie he struggled early on (but hit a respectable ~.260 in the 2d half) as proof that his improvement means little?

According to ESPN:

Thus far in 2008 ST, he's hitting .368 with 2 HR and 25 total bases in 38ABs. And he's got 7 BB's to boot, which I can't compare to previous STs, but certainly is a much higher rate than I can recall him ever having.

All of this is testament to significant improvement, which by the way, jives with the anecdotal tales that he's approached this season with a lot more maturity and preparation than in the past.

At the very least, he's showing that he's the best bet of the 3 unproven kids, since lest we forget, his competition includes Owens who hit .267 and Quentin who hit .214 in 2007. That's not a knock on either of those guys, just that none of them are in any way proven, so of the 3, BA so far looks like the obvious choice.
I'm saying that his Spring Training stats so far have not meant much in the grand scheme of things. That I am more interested in the approach he is taking, how he looks dealing with specific types of pitches/pitchers than if he is putting up good numbers. So far many of the people in the thread who have been watching the games have said some alarming things about him still not being able to adjust to the same sorts of pitches that were killing him in 2006. The numbers are great. I especially like the walk numbers, as hopefully that means he at least is becoming more discerning at the plate. But for now I'm still very concerned that more voices than not are suggesting he still has many of the same flaws that he couldn't compensate for the last go-round. Hopefully he will correct them in the next few weeks, if they exist at all. I admit, I am going solely by what the good folks at WSI are reporting here, as I have not had a chance to watch the games so far.

RTI_SoxFan
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
He has a 2-run homer today! 2-2 Game.

Where's the gamethread?

JorgeFabregas
03-11-2008, 05:06 PM

According to ESPN:

His past ST stats are up on baseball cube: http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/brian-anderson-3.shtml

Not that it means much, but this spring so far is way better. BB:SO ratio is pretty much the same as 2007, though.

Rowandws33
03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Another soild day for BA. Wow, he is really making a case for a opening day job. I really hope he is finally turning this thing around. Just wondering what you guys think his chances are of making the roster. As of the 6th today he is 1-1 with a 2-run shot and 2 BB.

Craig Grebeck
03-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Yay!!! Another BA thread!

rdwj
03-11-2008, 05:14 PM
He's the best center fielder we have by a long shot. If the bat comes around, Ozzie would be CRAZY to not start him let alone keep him off the roster.

JermaineDye05
03-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I would love for BA to start in Center, because that then moves Swish to his natural position as a corner man. I only worry who our lead off man will be. I would love for Swish to in the middle of the order and for OC to be hitting #2. That only leaves whoever wins the 2B job to really lead off, and I don't see Uribe/Alexei/Danny as ideal lead off hitters.

kittle42
03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
We should have a different thread for every spring training at-bat.

For the sake of WSI, Ozzie, either anoint the man your everyday CF or get him traded. I can't figure out how to put any threads mentioning Anderson on the ignore list!

rowand33
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I would love for BA to start in Center, because that then moves Swish to his natural position as a corner man. I only worry who our lead off man will be. I would love for Swish to in the middle of the order and for OC to be hitting #2. That only leaves whoever wins the 2B job to really lead off, and I don't see Uribe/Alexei/Danny as ideal lead off hitters.

Are you kidding me? What about Juan Uribe doesn't scream leadoff man to you?

champagne030
03-11-2008, 06:50 PM
If you don't see a difference between these two lines:
393 AB, 244/308/480, 23HR
416 AB, 216/279/353, 10HR

then you're just looking to argue at that point.

No, I'm mocking his comment that Fields is comparable to Tom Brady.

He also champions Fields, yet he was a strikeout machine that fields (no pun intended) like a DH.

Josh's offense has clearly been more impressive with Chicago and Brian's career line won't cut it this year, but considering defense, neither will Josh's. :shrug:

Frater Perdurabo
03-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Don't forget that he also hits a lot of doubles; those kinds of numbers you list above probably would come with 30-35 doubles, too. Out of the 9-hole, that's pretty damn nice! Give me these numbers below, and I'll be pleased:

LF Swisher .270/.380 30 homers 35 doubles
SS Cabrera .290/.330 10 homers 30 doubles
DH Thome .270/.400 35 homers 20 doubles
1B Paulie .280/.350 35 homers 30 doubles
RF Dye .275/.335 30 homers 35 doubles
C AJ .270/.310 15 homers 25 doubles
3B Fields .250/.315 30 homers 30 doubles
2B Uribe .230/.290 20 homers 20 doubles
CF Anderson .260/.330 20 homers 30 doubles

That's 225 homers and 255 doubles just from the starters, and I think all of these numbers are reasonably possible, even likely.

Brian26
03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't know how you can't root for him. I'd love to see him as the Opening Day starting CF in the 9 hole. Let Swisher leadoff and play LF.

Jerksticks
03-11-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know how you can't root for him. I'd love to see him as the Opening Day starting CF in the 9 hole. Let Swisher leadoff and play LF.

Exactly, for all those who rant how BA still can't hit curveballs etc...why can't you just root for him to be awesome? An awesome BA is a special player, and he's giving us something exciting to buy into during Spring.

Also, we don't have any "ideal" lead-off hitters on this team. We don't have a fast, hit for average, on base machine, who also steals 70 bases. Oh wait..........not many teams do. '05 Scott Podsedniks don't grow on trees, but they cost Carlos Lees. So shut up, somebody will lead-off and it will be just fine.

JSticks

rowand33
03-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Why exactly is it that Brian Anderson is shown by Yahoo as the losing pitcher for the White Sox?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=280311113

Did Brian try to pitch?

The Immigrant
03-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Did Brian try to pitch?

It was Matt Anderson, although Brian probably could have done just as well. :D:

Brian26
03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
What better time than to peruse the greatest Brian Anderson thread ever:

*Official* 8/26/05 Brian Anderson Has Arrived! Postgame Thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56699&highlight=brian+anderson+has+arrived)

Wow, here's a great quote from some buffoon:

Will people look back on this game years from now like they look back on the Big Frank game at old County Stadium in August of '90 when he first came up?

DickAllen72
03-11-2008, 09:15 PM
If he does that (in a White Sox uniform) I'll be the happiest guy on this board!

BoysMom3
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
My boyfriend will play centerfield this year, I just know it! Now if he'd only grow back the curls. :mad:

Seriously, I'm so glad he's doing better. I love his glove in center and want him to fill that spot.

Blueprint1
03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I really don't understand the hate for Anderson. It seems like some of you want him to fail. :scratch:

TheOldRoman
03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I just realized...

:happybday to Brian Anderson. I hope he didn't have too good of a time on his birthday.

Tragg
03-11-2008, 10:14 PM
What about Richar and Quentin? Are they playing yet, or still on the "DL". Those are the guys who need to get into the game. We gave up good prospects for them and they have a ton of potential.

sox1970
03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
What about Richar and Quentin? Are they playing yet, or still on the "DL". Those are the guys who need to get into the game. We gave up good prospects for them and they have a ton of potential.

Quentin got an RBI double today.

Sounds like Richar is hurting pretty bad.

Metalthrasher442
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Quentin got an RBI double today.

Sounds like Richar is hurting pretty bad.

Which is kind of good. I'd rather see Quentin 100% than Richar. Not to sound bad or anything, but we have Uribe and Alexi and I think Quentin has more potential than Richar.

Tragg
03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Which is kind of good. I'd rather see Quentin 100% than Richar. Not to sound bad or anything, but we have Uribe and Alexi and I think Quentin has more potential than Richar.
Richar showed 15-20 HR power last year; and he's shown good patience in the minors. No he won't be the hitter Quentin will be, but he should still be better than Uribe. People have been screaming about Uribe for 2 years - he's worse at 2nd because his bad offense now moves with him to what is really an offensive position. Uribe was an average hitter for a SS, but he'll be terrible for a 2b.
Alexi could use a year in AAA.
I hope Richar gets healthy fast.
Great to hear about Quentin.

Re Anderson, are his walks the result of a good eye and patience, or just spring training pitching? Scanning a couple of the pages, it seems like the consensus is that the numbers are good, but visually he looks similar to what he's always looked like as a hitter.

BadBobbyJenks
03-12-2008, 12:18 AM
:rolling:

It's Dankerific
03-12-2008, 02:41 AM

But it was just a straight shot into the lobby. Until he can save babies in the upper floors that are breaking off, we have no need of him!

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2008, 02:50 AM
BA just saved a baby from a burning building between innings!Yeah, but he started the fire just so he could be a hero.

credefan24
03-12-2008, 08:41 AM
BA should get a chance in centerfield. He needs to play every day to get into a rhythm. His defense is stellar, why not see what he can do at the plate?!

Rowandws33
03-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Everyone on here should want BA to do good. It will only help out the Sox in the long run.

Jaffar
03-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, Owens is scratched from the lineup again giving Anderson more chances to prove himself.

goon
03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Now three HR's.

It's Dankerific
03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Now three HR's.

Again, I MUST ASK, Why didnt they just throw him a breaking ball??

champagne030
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Now three HR's.

Yeah, but it was only off Kip Wells and he stood and admired his shot ala Manny Ramirez.

goon
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but it was only off Kip Wells and he stood and admired his shot ala Manny Ramirez.

Agreed, he is worthless.

LoveYourSuit
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Can you imagine if the light switch finaly went "ON" for this guy?

A bad OF situation at the end of last year now becomes a log jam.

Flight #24
03-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Can you imagine if the light switch finaly went "ON" for this guy?

Impossible. He's already 26 and he sucked in 2006, so all this is meaningless!

LoveYourSuit
03-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Impossible. He's already 26 and he sucked in 2006, so all this is meaningless!

yup, he's garbage.

rdivaldi
03-12-2008, 04:40 PM
yup, he's garbage.

He's been garbage for the past 3 years, so he's got a bit of work to do in order to prove himself. But it's nice to see him succeeding...

JUribe1989
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Another home run for BA!

This dude is making the team, boo ya

itsnotrequired
03-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Awesome throw-em-out at the plate to end the inning!

Anderson is on fire.

KRS1
03-12-2008, 05:12 PM
He's been garbage for the past 3 years, so he's got a bit of work to do in order to prove himself. But it's nice to see him succeeding...

Well, I'll give you two years if you want to include a guys rookie season(really only his first half), but in 05' he did a fine job in Charlotte. It's always nice to see the exaggerated hate on a guy though. :tongue:

goon
03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Awesome throw-em-out at the plate to end the inning!

Anderson is on fire.

That was luck. Plus, it was the catcher, so it wasn't impressive.

KRS1
03-12-2008, 05:34 PM

Moving to his left, and still firing a strike to home in time is impressive no matter who is running IMO. The high hop off the grass was actually pretty bad luck if you ask me, it slowed down the throw a bit. It isn't going to blow anyone away, but it is one of the little things he has to show in order to make the club. Same as him taking charge on that last out when I was thinking it was going to drop in the crowd, another little thing that isn't very impressive, but important none-the-less.

oeo
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Moving to his left, and still firing a strike to home in time is impressive no matter who is running IMO. The high hop off the grass was actually pretty bad luck if you ask me, it slowed down the throw a bit. It isn't going to blow anyone away, but it is one of the little things he has to show in order to make the club. Same as him taking charge on that last out when I was thinking it was going to drop in the crowd, another little thing that isn't very impressive, but important none-the-less.

Also two plays he doesn't make even a year ago. He's a man on a mission, and it's about damn time he shows that intensity.

goon
03-12-2008, 05:36 PM

I was being facetious.

Jaffar
03-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I was being facetious.
How dare you not use teal!

BoysMom3
03-12-2008, 05:42 PM
<3 <3 <3 (((ba))) <3 <3 <3

Optipessimism
03-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Didn't he have something like two wrist operations in that time span? And didn't Greg Walker make it clear that he didn't want to make any serious changes to Brian's swing over the 2006 season? And didn't Ozzie's man love for Grinderstad last year keep Brian from swinging the bat regularly early on when he actually was healthy?

Brian has supposedly had attitude problems, and supposedly he's been the cause of a few missing puppies, and supposedly a few nuns have now left the faith because of him, but on the baseball side of things, he hasn't been garbage. He just hasn't lived up to expectations. Now I hope the Sox give him a real chance as a starter instead of shipping him off for next to nothing in order to put a corner OF in center.

Optipessimism
03-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Brian began a strict horoscope reading program this offseason and has kept his chi on a diet, so it is no surprise that his luck is much improved.

HBaines03
03-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I have to laugh at how everyone is trashing Brian Anderson. What does Jerry Owens or Carlos Quentin bring to the table that makes them better? I have not seen it yet. Jerry has speed vs. Brian Anderson's defense. Apparently we don't need speed since we talked about having Swisher lead off! What has Carlos Quentin showed anyone in major league baseball? I am sure Owens and Quentin are talented in their own right but Brian Anderson is as well and is showing he has improved from the last 2 years. He is by far our best defensive option in the OF. He has thrown out 4 baserunners in ST now and made a superb catch to end today's game in CF while playing LF! Where was our middle infield and CFer? He is 25 and still needs to adjust to ML pitching but has shown vast improvement over what he was. Maybe he does struggle with curveballs but I remember him being overpowered by fastballs and he is hitting those pitches now. Compare his age to Owens and Quentin and tell me there is a huge difference. He's healthy and very eager by his play on the field during ST while the other 2 are sitting on the bench nursing injuries showing me nothing. I still remember seeing Owens loaf in LF last year allowing a runner to get a triple instead of a double and getting majorly booed and yelled at. I don't want that attitude on the field! If Carlos Quentin starts playing as he has been billed than he takes over Dye's spot in RF soon. Give Anderson a chance.........

Hitmen77
03-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Yeah, but he started the fire just so he could be a hero.

LOL! Good one.

redsand22
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen the play, but how is it luck to throw a guy out at the plate. It had to be a pretty good throw. Think about who we have had in the OF before, Scotty Pods wouldve bounced the ball 15 times.

rdwj
03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen the play, but how is it luck to throw a guy out at the plate. It had to be a pretty good throw. Think about who we have had in the OF before, Scotty Pods wouldve bounced the ball 15 times.

He was kidding

redsand22
03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I was being facetious.
oops... haha sorry.

Daver
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM

The catcher ran out to center and threw the ball to himself?

Or BA got a throw good enough to reach the catcher.

Either way you're an idiot, so it makes little difference.

Harry Chappas
03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Didn't he have something like two wrist operations in that time span? And didn't Greg Walker make it clear that he didn't want to make any serious changes to Brian's swing over the 2006 season? And didn't Ozzie's man love for Grinderstad last year keep Brian from swinging the bat regularly early on when he actually was healthy?

Brian has supposedly had attitude problems, and supposedly he's been the cause of a few missing puppies, and supposedly a few nuns have now left the faith because of him, but on the baseball side of things, he hasn't been garbage. He just hasn't lived up to expectations. Now I hope the Sox give him a real chance as a starter instead of shipping him off for next to nothing in order to put a corner OF in center.

I've been reading these BA threads for the past couple of years and I still can't figure out where the hatred comes from. It's not just disappointment in a player loaded with ability that has played up to it, it's a strong dislike of him personally. Why weren't the same barbs directed at Owens for leaving winter ball early? Something about him just seems to rub fans the wrong way.

goon
03-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Totally.

angiew
03-12-2008, 09:03 PM
I saw tivo'd the game and watched it with the hubby tonight after we got off work.....we both though BA had a great game, and the throw was sweet.

Flight #24
03-12-2008, 09:03 PM

OK, '06 I'd give you, even though he rebounded to hit .260 in the 2d half (not bad for a rook). But '05 wasn't he in AAA doing pretty well and hitting 2 HR in the bigs off of Felix Hernandez among his minimal PT? And last year, what exactly about his solid spring, his being anchored to the bench, and then his injury-riddled AAA stint screams "garbage"?:rolleyes:

rdivaldi
03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Look guys I understand that we all want this kid to succeed and give us a solid CF for the next decade, but the "hater" labels are ridiculous. I've been a "critic" of his play since I first saw him in Spring Training back in 2004. I don't like his swing or approach at the plate, he just looks lost up there to me. He's had exactly one 800+ OPS stop above A ball and that was in our small AAA ballpark. I'd love to believe that he's going to turn it around and become a major league regular, but I've seen nothing to sway me as of yet.

You can't have high hopes for every prospect that comes along, #1 pick or not.

slavko
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM

I think the poster was referring to the running speed of a typical catcher heading down the 3rd base line from 3rd to home. That doesn't mean that he isn't an idiot, however. And if Pods bounces the ball 15 times, Owens bounces it 20 and it dies behind the pitcher's mound.

champagne030
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Look guys I understand that we all want this kid to succeed and give us a solid CF for the next decade, but the "hater" labels are ridiculous. I've been a "critic" of his play since I first saw him in Spring Training back in 2004. I don't like his swing or approach at the plate, he just looks lost up there to me. He's had exactly one 800+ OPS stop above A ball and that was in our small AAA ballpark. I'd love to believe that he's going to turn it around and become a major league regular, but I've seen nothing to sway me as of yet.

You're not the typical poster who doesn't like Anderson.

PeoriaSoxFan
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Anderson could be playing himself into a starting role. I can't believe I said that. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a multiple OFers with talent?

Rowandws33
03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
wow alot of people on this board will have crow on their face when he makes the team.. Go BA Go

kittle42
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
wow alot of people on this board will have crow on their face when he makes the team.. Go BA Go

Hey, Haeger got sent down, so I already got my spring wish!

JB98
03-12-2008, 11:31 PM

I agree 100 percent. I'm not going to get excited about Brian Anderson having a good spring. I've seen that before, only to be disappointed once the regular season begins.

Basically, you're a "hater" if you don't believe Ozzie Guillen has a personal vendetta against Anderson. That's the way these discussions have gone in the past.

Right now, Anderson might end up in the Opening Day lineup. That's a scary thought to me, but if Owens and Quentin are going to spend the month of March nursing injuries instead of competing for a job, then you have to give Anderson the nod.

Three young outfielders, all unproven, all competing for one starting job. Only one is healthy right now.

JB98
03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey, Haeger got sent down, so I already got my spring wish!

Thank God for that.

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2008, 11:51 PM
wow alot of people on this board will have crow on their face when he makes the team.. Go BA GoWill the crow peck their eyes out?

TheCommander
03-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Will the crow peck their eyes out?

I guess they will be eating eggs too. :D:

Nellie_Fox
03-13-2008, 12:31 AM
I guess they will be eating eggs too. :D:Thanks; now I get it. The crows will lay eggs!

Rowandws33
03-13-2008, 12:48 AM
hopefully for us Sox fans BA can keep it going into the season. I'am not really sold on Carlos Quentin.

Craig Grebeck
03-13-2008, 12:51 AM
hopefully for us Sox fans BA can keep it going into the season. I'am not really sold on Carlos Quentin.
I'm honestly intrigued by this. Please substantiate this.

soxfanatlanta
03-13-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm honestly intrigued by this. Please substantiate this.

I want him to succeed just like any other player we have, but:

He's had arm problems early in the minors that required Tommy John surgery
He has a surgically repaired left shoulder
Hamstring problems last year at AZInjury prone? I hope not. But until he proves that he can be a durable, productive player in the bigs, he's just another prospect right now.

Frontman
03-13-2008, 08:25 AM

Why? Because in 2006, BA proved he wasn't MLB ready and Sox fans on this site said so; and now two years later he's showing signs that he is?

It's called things not always being constant. If he improves, he deserves a shot. I was a big BA cynic, but if he is the best chance for the team to win; go get 'em Anderson!

Again, this comes from "Don't root for the name on the back, root for the name on the front of the jersey." I don't care who it is, I want the Sox to win; period.

Save McCuddy's
03-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Perhaps the problem (on this board in particular) is that the expectations for BA were never grounded in reality. Nothing in his minor league lines suggests that he was going to be above average in any offensive category. So why the outrage when he struggles to hit major league pitching at first?

I confess to being less than patient with him myself, but I attribute that more to lamenting the Young trade than disappointment in BA's production to date. If he's capable of .250 with 18 and reasonable at bats with runners on, then I'd say we've got a CF you can win with. But let's not let a couple of hot weeks in Tucson make us think that there's much more than that to hope for.

balke
03-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Perhaps the problem (on this board in particular) is that the expectations for BA were never grounded in reality. Nothing in his minor league lines suggests that he was going to be above average in any offensive category. So why the outrage when he struggles to hit major league pitching at first?

I confess to being less than patient with him myself, but I attribute that more to lamenting the Young trade than disappointment in BA's production to date. If he's capable of .250 with 18 and reasonable at bats with runners on, then I'd say we've got a CF you can win with. But let's not let a couple of hot weeks in Tucson make us think that there's much more than that to hope for.

+.300 batting average with +20 HRs isn't above average? His #'s looked better than Josh Fields' for a while. He also showed more ability to actually hit the baseball than Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

spawn
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Perhaps the problem (on this board in particular) is that the expectations for BA were never grounded in reality.

The problem with BA on this board is he's not Aaron Rowand, so when he struggled, it was easy to jump on him. True, he hasn't lived up to managements expectations, but I think he's now proving he belongs in the majors. I actually like an outfield of Swisher/Anderson/Dye for this year, and an outfield of Swisher/Anderson/Quentin next year.

rdivaldi
03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
+.300 batting average with +20 HRs isn't above average?

While above average, I don't seem to remember BA putting up those kinds of numbers...

Frontman
03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
The problem with BA on this board is he's not Aaron Rowand, so when he struggled, it was easy to jump on him. True, he hasn't lived up to managements expectations, but I think he's now proving he belongs in the majors. I actually like an outfield of Swisher/Anderson/Dye for this year, and an outfield of Swisher/Anderson/Quentin next year.

"Book 'em, Danno."
http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/TV/may05/hawaiifiveo_150x225.jpg

I'd love to see that too; although I see Dye with us one more season. All depends on Thome's health at the end of this season.

balke
03-13-2008, 10:12 AM
While above average, I don't seem to remember BA putting up those kinds of numbers...

You're right I was looking at doubles by mistake. 16 HR's is what he hit the season before he was called up. He was hitting around .300 though, and that's still decent power. 16 was the same # Josh had in 2005. Brian Anderson was trusted to produce for a reason, and it had to do with a good minor league record he was putting together. Josh went from 16 hr's in the minors to 23 n a short season for the Sox. Many thought Brian Anderson would be able to gain power, and he already showed to have a good all around bat in the minors at that time.

esbrechtel
03-13-2008, 10:19 AM
my only Anderson issue is that who is going to lead-off? I love the Swisher, Anderson, Dye idea I think it would be smart for us to make a serious run at Roberts or another IF who can leadoff with Crede and Uribe or possibly Owens...

Flight #24
03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again: a .280+ / 15-20HR / Stellar D player in CF would be huge for this team. But that said, I don't see it happening. I get the sense that barring a complete flop or inability to play because of the groin, Owens is going to be the guy. Even yesterday, Ozzie says "our offense is better with him in it" (paraphrasing).

I think BA's stellar spring even if it continues is going to land him on the bench watching Owens, even if JO hits worse. And I think that's a poor decision. I'll take the superior D and significantly greater power over the SBs. The only way I'd take Owens is if he combined that speed with better Avg and/or OBP, but I think Ozzie loves the speed enough to give him the job even if BA's outhitting him. Just IMO.

RowanDye
03-13-2008, 10:35 AM

+.300 batting average with +20 HRs isn't above average? His #'s looked better than Josh Fields' for a while. He also showed more ability to actually hit the baseball than Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

So much for being grounded in reality! :tongue:

In truth though, it really depends what level of the minors you're talking about. Anderson never hit over .300 past A ball. He did hit .295 in '05 playing for Charlotte though (link (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/brian-anderson-3.shtml)).

Given our options in CF, I will take a season of Anderson hitting .270, .350, 15 HRs with stellar defense, but he still might strikeout 150 times.

As many have touched on in this thread, BA's biggest problem is getting behind in the count and inevitably striking out. BA has shown some ability to adjust and improve at each level, so maybe he can cut down on the strikeouts with time.

I think he exposes himself a bit with RISP because he pressures himself to be more patient, and then gets behind in the count and in trouble. He has the chance to surprise some people though if he rides this confidence into the season and just takes his cuts.

The bottom line is that Quentin is not likely to be ready for opening day, which means that you all better get ready for some Brain.

ChiTownTrojan
03-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Me too. And I like Quentin coming off the bench this year to give Dye a rest every once in a while. Dye can occasionally move to DH to give Thome a rest. With BA as a starter, we suddenly get a lot more options to rest the vets and keep them healthy for the stretch run.

ChiTownTrojan
03-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Given our options in CF, I will take a season of Anderson hitting .270, .350, 15 HRs with stellar defense, but he still might strikeout 150 times.

I wouldn't mind that at all, hitting out of the 8/9 hole. Heck, I'd take .250/.330/15 HR from him there, as long as he brings the glove.

The bottom line is that Quentin is not likely to be ready for opening day, which means that you all better get ready for some Brain.

Exactly. Some people are talking about his spring as if he's just boosting his trade value. I just don't see how the Sox could afford to trade him. If one of Quentin/Owens spends any time on the DL, we'd be in trouble without BA.

ChiSox65
03-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Trade him while you can, he has 10 K's in 42 AB's. When he faces real starting pitching and his balls stop dropping in, he will be back to a .200 MLB avg. He has the mental make-up of Joe Borchard. Package him with McDougal for some minor league pitching prospects.

No more Brian Anderson Kool-Aid.

He Gone.

kittle42
03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Trade him while you can, he has 10 K's in 42 AB's. When he faces real starting pitching and his balls stop dropping in, he will be back to a .200 MLB avg. He has the mental make-up of Joe Borchard. Package him with McDougal for some minor league pitching prospects.

He Gone.

Devil's advocate: should they trade Fields, then, too?

Jaffar
03-13-2008, 02:26 PM

He Gone.

Devil's advocate: should they trade Fields, then, too?

It was convenient to leave out the 8 walks to go along with those 10 K's Anderson has in his 42 at bats.

Fields has 1 walk to his 8 K's in 28 at bats...

LoveYourSuit
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM

He Gone.

Yup, he's 26 and played 160 games at the big league level.

He needs to find another career.

:rolleyes:

soxinem1
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
BA is the man if we didn't need a LOH. I am an advocate of Owens in CF, but that was also considering that BA's chances were numbered.

But if we are concerned about defense, ala SS, putting BA in CF could only make the team stronger, and pitching better, if a real CF was in CF.

champagne030
03-13-2008, 03:03 PM

He Gone.

Ozzie Jr. will be here all week folks.

Rounding_Third
03-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Assuming that Anderson, Owens, Uribe, & Ozuna make the club and play well enough to stay, I love the flexibility & stability here. Platooning BA & Owens (or whoever's hot) in CF makes perfect sense. When Owens plays he leads off mostly. When BA plays, Swisher leads off or sometimes Ozuna at 2B. On some days when our 3B needs rest, Ozzie can move Uribe there and play Ozuna at 2B. Ozzie seems to like Ozuna to back up at 3B but I'd prefer Juan. In any of these lineups, the stability of Cabrera in the #2 is key. When Thome needs a day off against a tough lefty, Ozzie can stick Swisher in the DH at #3, BA in left, Owens in CF and #9 hole, and Ozuna leading off. This would be a very nice speed lineup with, as usual, Cabrera in the #2. If Richar's back doesn't improve, it looks like he's the odd man out at 2B. The same goes for Quentin and his shoulder in the OF. BA has such a huge lead on him right now it's hard to imagine Quentin catching up. Assuming 12 pitchers, the bench may already be set (except which catcher?) mostly because of injury attrition.

Madscout
03-13-2008, 08:24 PM

Don't put these bull**** numbers up for him just to magically make. If he makes him fine, but look at this.
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
146 481 58 121 23 3 16 71 198 34 77 4 6 .301 .412 .252 2005 Chicago White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CHA&statType=1&sitSplit=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2005)
132 463 53 109 28 2 21 71 204 13 82 1 1 .257 .441 .235 2006Chicago White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CHA&statType=1&sitSplit=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006)
150 513 55 120 18 2 20 68 202 34 112 1 9 .284 .394 .234http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/trans.gif 2007Chicago White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CHA&statType=1&sitSplit=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2007)

Jaun Uribe was given a pass for his defense, and nobody complained until last season, and this is a guy that has over 3000 AB against Anderson's 400 or so. He puts up Uribe 2006 numbers, and he is a god send.

Jenks4Prez
03-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how well Anderson plays. He's in Ozzie's doghouse and there is no getting out. Every one of you guys knows this.

santo=dorf
03-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Don't put these bull**** numbers up for him just to magically make. If he makes him fine, but look at this.
146 481 58 121 23 3 16 71 198 34 77 4 6 .301 .412 .252 2005 Chicago White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CHA&statType=1&sitSplit=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2005)
132 463 53 109 28 2 21 71 204 13 82 1 1 .257 .441 .235 2006Chicago White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CHA&statType=1&sitSplit=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006)
150 513 55 120 18 2 20 68 202 34 112 1 9 .284 .394 .234http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/trans.gif 2007Chicago White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=CHA&statType=1&sitSplit=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2007)

Jaun Uribe was given a pass for his defense, and nobody complained until last season, and this is a guy that has over 3000 AB against Anderson's 400 or so. He puts up Uribe 2006 numbers, and he is a god send.
...and the sox traded a valuable chip, at a position they are currently starving at, for his replacement, and the bastard is still on the team. :angry:

My god, look at his two profile pictures
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_346874.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_346874.jpg

Look at the weigh difference in his face.

RowanDye
03-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Are you trying to make a point?

It's hard to reply when you spout off against me without actually making a statement.

I would love to have a someone on this team that can play CF and bat leadoff, unfortunately we are stuck with either Owens, Anderson, or Swisher.

Only one of those can play abover average defense (i.e. Anderson), and if he can play average offense he should be the starter.

Uribe is completely irrelevant in this conversation.

RowanDye
03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
...and the sox traded a valuable chip, at a position they are currently starving at, for his replacement, and the bastard is still on the team. :angry:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_346874.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_346874.jpg

Look at the weigh difference in his face.

Don't be disingenuous.

Those pictures are incomparable in multiple ways.

The Sox planned on having Richar at 2B. He is comparable to Iguchi in the short term (better glove, less consistent bat), and has much better long term potential.

You should be happy that Uribe is available as a stopgap until Richar is ready.

hi im skot
03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how well Anderson plays. He's in Ozzie's doghouse and there is no getting out. Every one of you guys knows this.

Give me a ****ing break.

ChiSox65
03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Who in your best scout opinion will have a better MLB career?

B. Anderson or J. Owens?

My opinion is J.O.

Let 'em play............Yessssssssss!!!!!

ChiSox65
03-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Ozzie Jr. will be here all week folks.

Si.

All week???...........I'll be here all year my friend.

Daver
03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Who in your best scout opinion will have a better MLB career?

B. Anderson or J. Owens?

My opinion is J.O.

Let 'em play............Yessssssssss!!!!!

Owens will never hit for power, will never hit for average, and has not perfected the HBP.

He also can't play outfield better than a Labrador Retriever, and the dog has a better arm.

Craig Grebeck
03-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Owens will never hit for power, will never hit for average, and has not perfected the HBP.

He also can't play outfield better than a Labrador Retriever, and the dog has a better arm.
I love when you analyze.

TheOldRoman
03-13-2008, 10:09 PM

Look at the weigh difference in his face.Starving? Bull****. Starving is what the bullpen was last year. Starving was the Sox starting Arnie Munoz and Jon Rausch. At the very least, Danks and Floyd are both very talented kids with very high ceilings. You can say they have question marks, but they are not starving.

So what if he is still on the team? He aint the starting shortstop. We all know the story - either pick up his option/re-sign him, or you have a possibility of seeing Cintron 140 times next year. Him being on the bench isn't the worst thing in the world. As for him being a $5 million bench player, oh well. It is a waste of money, but they aren't hurting for cash. It isn't like the Sox are just one player away and they could have signed that player for $5 million. Either they spent the money or they didn't, but that $5 million isn't holding the team back.

champagne030
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Si.

All week???...........I'll be here all year my friend.

You're a member of Fatty's posse?

UofCSoxFan
03-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Uribe was resigned BEFORE we got Carbrera. If we let him walk, the Angels would have had all the leverage in those trade discussions. Moreover, its not like Uribe has a huge contract that is preventling us from signing someone else and it is not like any of us are paying his salary.

We could do worse than having Uribe as a bench player.

JB98
03-13-2008, 10:27 PM

Anderson has played himself into this position. He has to play his way out.

santo=dorf
03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Uribe was resigned BEFORE we got Carbrera. If we let him walk, the Angels would have had all the leverage in those trade discussions. Moreover, its not like Uribe has a huge contract that is preventling us from signing someone else and it is not like any of us are paying his salary.

We could do worse than having Uribe as a bench player.
Here's the $25k question; why didn't KW contact the Angels GM BEFORE re-signing Uribe? The Angels GM even said at the press conference he was surprised KW re-signed Uribe before contacting them as they felt Cabrera was a great fit for the Sox?

How come Brian didn't get to come off the bench last year? He barely received any playing time. As it looks right now Uribe is the starting second baseman.

This "it's not like we're paying for his salary" crap needs to end right now. Last year Uribe, Pods, Hall, and Erstad combined to make around $10 million to do nothing. It adds up and we are not the Yankees. Nobody wants Uribe for $4.5 million. The Sox will have to eat money or add more to the package if they wish to move him. Look at all the money the Yankees waste in eating contracts that nobody wants.

The chairman and company need to pay the salaries one way or another. What do you think is their primary source of revenue?

santo=dorf
03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Hard to believe just two years ago the minority of WSI did not feel Anderson was ready, and playing solid defense was not going to be good enough to cut it with the defending champs.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62980&page=1

Where's Randar been? I'm sure he has something good to say on Ozzie's handling of BA.

MisterB
03-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Here's the $25k question; why didn't KW contact the Angels GM BEFORE re-signing Uribe? The Angels GM even said at the press conference he was surprised KW re-signed Uribe before contacting them as they felt Cabrera was a great fit for the Sox?

And how much more than just Jon Garland would it have taken to get Cabrera if #1 on the Sox depth chart at short was Andy ****ing Gonzalez? Kenny knew he screwed himself by not having a legitimate plan "B" for CF when Anderson fizzled in '06, he wasn't about to get caught with his pants down this year by having no backup if a deal for another starting SS fell through.

Even if he had talked to the Angels' GM before the deadline, there was no guarantee that the deal would get done. Kenny had to either offer a contract (or at least arbitration) to Uribe at that time or be caught with NO shortstop at all, leaving him with NO bargaining power at all.

A. Cavatica
03-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Starving was the Sox starting Arnie Munoz and Jon Rausch.

Not to hijack the thread, but Rauch turned out to be a big league pitcher. Arnie Munoz and [pick one of many others].

TheOldRoman
03-13-2008, 11:14 PM
How come Brian didn't get to come off the bench last year? He barely received any playing time. As it looks right now Uribe is the starting second baseman.If Uribe starts on opening day, it is because Richar is not healthy, or was out much of ST with his back problems. Ramirez was no sure thing coming into camp, and he still isn't. Would you rather have Ozuna playing full time, or even as our backup SS? As for Anderson, he had horrible luck with his injury. If he were healthy, he would have gotten a lot of playing time.
This "it's not like we're paying for his salary" crap needs to end right now. Last year Uribe, Pods, Hall, and Erstad combined to make around $10 million to do nothing. It adds up and we are not the Yankees. Nobody wants Uribe for $4.5 million. The Sox will have to eat money or add more to the package if they wish to move him. Look at all the money the Yankees waste in eating contracts that nobody wants.

The chairman and company need to pay the salaries one way or another. What do you think is their primary source of revenue?My point it that it isn't the worst thing in the world having him on the team. We won't be worse because he was on our bench. I never said "it's not like we're paying for his salary," so I don't know where you got that. This team was going to drop $15 million a year on Torriiiiii, but having to pay four and a half to Uribe will cause them to drastically raise ticket prices?

And the other guys you mentioned have nothing to do with this. I won't argue about Pods or Erstad. Hall had a fluke injury in spring training which messed up his whole season (and even a rabid anti-Toby person can admit that he is historically much better than he was last year). They needed a backup catcher, so they got good veteran. And Uribe was payed that money to be starting SS, which he did much of the time. He sucked at it, but it wasn't like he was living on the DL like Scotty or on and off of the DL like Erstad.

TheOldRoman
03-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but Rauch turned out to be a big league pitcher. Arnie Munoz and [pick one of many others].
I know, but I couldn't remember any of the other debacles from 03-04 off the top of my head. There was Danny Wright, but he had past success and was injured.

TheOldRoman
03-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Hard to believe just two years ago the minority of WSI did not feel Anderson was ready, and playing solid defense was not going to be good enough to cut it with the defending champs.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62980&page=1

Where's Randar been? I'm sure he has something good to say on Ozzie's handling of BA.Why is it hard to believe? We are pretty much in the same position now. While a few people are jumping for joy, most of us are cautiously optimistic. I am encouraged by Anderson's play, but I am not handing him the starting job and running out to buy his jersey just yet. If he hits as poorly as he did in the first half of 06, the people on this board will have the same views as then. I don't think there is any way in hell he will hit that poorly, but I'm not sure he is going to hit .270, either. I would be happy with him hitting .265 as a full time CF, but that isn't what he was doing in 06.

A. Cavatica
03-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I know, but I couldn't remember any of the other debacles from 03-04 off the top of my head. There was Danny Wright, but he had past success and was injured.

In 2004, Josh Stewart made two starts (three games total) and posted a 15.26 ERA.
Munoz made one start, 10.05.
Wright made four starts, 8.15.
Jason Grilli made eight, 7.40.
Felix Diaz made seven, 6.75.
Rauch made two, 6.23.
Scott Schoeneweis (nineteen starts, 5.59) was our best #5, and he was juicing.

ChiSox65
03-14-2008, 01:03 AM

The question was: Who will have the better MLB carrer.

Answer the question.

ChiSox65
03-14-2008, 01:07 AM
You're a member of Fatty's posse?

I don't have sex with any fat girls so I don't know what you mean.

:scratch:

IlliniSox4Life
03-14-2008, 01:58 AM
The chairman and company need to pay the salaries one way or another. What do you think is their primary source of revenue?

You don't set your prices based on your costs so much as you do based on your demand. The only way signing a single player would cause them to raise ticket prices is if that player was an all star that increased their demand for tickets. An A-Rod type. Jerry & Co have already determined that at this pricing structure X number of people will show up which will generate Y total revenue. If raising X would increase Y, they would have done it already. If lowering X would increase Y, they would have done it already. Obviously there is no way to tell for sure if they are right in their assesment,

Lets say the average ticket price is $20, and they will draw 3,000,000 fans this year. That brings them to $600mil in revenue. If your salary is $100mil plus say $400mil in other costs you are looking at $100mil profit.

Now lets say in Case A by raising ticket prices to $22 they will now only draw 2,500,000 fans. Their revenue goes down to $550 million, and profit goes down to $50 million.

Take the opposite in Case B where by raising ticket prices to $22 attendance drops but not as much. They draw 2,900,000 fans. Now the revenue is $638mil and the profit is $138 million.

Now add Uribe in the equation and the profit goes down to $95mil as it stands. In Case A the profit goes down to $45 million and in Case B it goes down to $133. It should be clear that if they thought Case A would occur that they wouldn't raise prices no matter whether Uribe was being paid $5 million to sit on the bench or not. If they thought Case B would occur they would raise ticket prices regardless of the status of Uribe.

Heffalump
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Not sure what happened to the BA discussion, but regarding the Sox keeping Uribe, I think it may turn out to be a very smart move. He is an excellent insurance policy in case Richar and/or Ramirez don't pan out this year.

1. Despite Uribe's problem with swinging at everything like he is Babe Ruth, he will provide some pop at 2B.

2. Our middle infield defense will be top notch. How many starting second basemen have an arm like Uribe's? 2B is usually where they put the 'rag arm' shortstops. With Uribe's arm turning the DP it should be an upgrade over the Iguchi/Richar of '07. While offense is important, I think many people seriously discount the value of defense, especially with our pitching staff. His range is well above average too.

3. In today's marketplace $4.5M for Uribe is NOT expensive and having him come off the bench will be a plus when compared to the crap we had last year: Gonzalez, Cintron, etc.

The offense will be fine this year. our success will depend on pitching and defense. If the staff sucks, so will the Sox, no matter how much hitting we get. It is just a fact of life for a team playing in a hitter's park like the Cell.

Just my two cents.........

kittle42
03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
If the staff sucks, so will the Sox, no matter how much hitting we get. It is just a fact of life for a team playing in a hitter's park like the Cell.

This is why not replacing Garland with a proven commodity was puzzling. I still have no opinion of the Garland trade - it will be a result-based opinion for me on thsi one.

russ99
03-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Not sure what happened to the BA discussion, but regarding the Sox keeping Uribe, I think it may turn out to be a very smart move. He is an excellent insurance policy in case Richar and/or Ramirez don't pan out this year.

1. Despite Uribe's problem with swinging at everything like he is Babe Ruth, he will provide some pop at 2B.

2. Our middle infield defense will be top notch. How many starting second basemen have an arm like Uribe's? 2B is usually where they put the 'rag arm' shortstops. With Uribe's arm turning the DP it should be an upgrade over the Iguchi/Richar of '07. While offense is important, I think many people seriously discount the value of defense, especially with our pitching staff. His range is well above average too.

3. In today's marketplace $4.5M for Uribe is NOT expensive and having him come off the bench will be a plus when compared to the crap we had last year: Gonzalez, Cintron, etc.

The offense will be fine this year. our success will depend on pitching and defense. If the staff sucks, so will the Sox, no matter how much hitting we get. It is just a fact of life for a team playing in a hitter's park like the Cell.

Just my two cents.........

The only issue defensively is how Juan will do ranging to the other side. A career-long SS/3B is going to have some troubles moving to 2B. It's like turning a righty hitter into a lefty. I'd expect him to cheat a bit closer to 1B at times in the early going.

Also, any slump or lack of effort and we have the same awful player at 2B as we had at SS last year.

ChiTownTrojan
03-14-2008, 10:14 AM
The only issue defensively is how Juan will do ranging to the other side. A career-long SS/3B is going to have some troubles moving to 2B. It's like turning a righty hitter into a lefty. I'd expect him to cheat a bit closer to 1B at times in the early going.

Also, any slump or lack of effort and we have the same awful player at 2B as we had at SS last year.
I agree with your assessment that a career-long SS might have trouble moving to 2B, but Uribe is not a career-long SS. He was our 2B in 2004, and played plenty of 2B with the Rockies. Plus, 2B is an easier position to play than SS. He should be fine there, maybe even better than fine.

Taliesinrk
03-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I agree with your assessment that a career-long SS might have trouble moving to 2B, but Uribe is not a career-long SS. He was our 2B in 2004, and played plenty of 2B with the Rockies. Plus, 2B is an easier position to play than SS. He should be fine there, maybe even better than fine.

Much easier. I don't really think it's that difficult either.

Madscout
03-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Are you trying to make a point?

It's hard to reply when you spout off against me without actually making a statement.

I would love to have a someone on this team that can play CF and bat leadoff, unfortunately we are stuck with either Owens, Anderson, or Swisher.

Only one of those can play abover average defense (i.e. Anderson), and if he can play average offense he should be the starter.

Uribe is completely irrelevant in this conversation.

I think I made the point that there are players on this team that get the pass because of their strength at defense. Those players would be Uribe and Crede. CF is a defensive possition, and as we found out in '06, you lose games when you have a CF who can't field the possition well, and I believe that when you have a good defensive player in CF, his glove out weighs his bat. This is the case here. So, as I said, if Anderson hits like Uribe did in'06 and plays a good CF, he is a god send for this team.

Slats
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
You don't set your prices based on your costs so much as you do based on your demand. The only way signing a single player would cause them to raise ticket prices is if that player was an all star that increased their demand for tickets. An A-Rod type. Jerry & Co have already determined that at this pricing structure X number of people will show up which will generate Y total revenue. If raising X would increase Y, they would have done it already. If lowering X would increase Y, they would have done it already. Obviously there is no way to tell for sure if they are right in their assesment,

Lets say the average ticket price is $20, and they will draw 3,000,000 fans this year. That brings them to $600mil in revenue. If your salary is $100mil plus say $400mil in other costs you are looking at $100mil profit.

Now lets say in Case A by raising ticket prices to $22 they will now only draw 2,500,000 fans. Their revenue goes down to $550 million, and profit goes down to $50 million.

Take the opposite in Case B where by raising ticket prices to $22 attendance drops but not as much. They draw 2,900,000 fans. Now the revenue is $638mil and the profit is $138 million.

Now add Uribe in the equation and the profit goes down to $95mil as it stands. In Case A the profit goes down to $45 million and in Case B it goes down to $133. It should be clear that if they thought Case A would occur that they wouldn't raise prices no matter whether Uribe was being paid $5 million to sit on the bench or not. If they thought Case B would occur they would raise ticket prices regardless of the status of Uribe.

You forgot one important aspect of the revenue stream.
Beers of the World.
(now that's a revenue generator)

Heffalump
03-14-2008, 12:34 PM

I disagree. playing SS is much more difficult than 2B and comparing this change to hitting is absurd. SS need to have much more range and a stronger arm than 2B. Uribe has proven time and time again that he can go to the left or right as well as any MLB SS. I don't think 2B will be a problem at all for him.

The lazyness is a whole other issue.

Although I will add that I was suprised that Juan came into camp with a very positive "team player" attitude and was not grouching about losing the SS job. I believe I read a few quotes to the effect of "I am going to compete for the 2B and do whatever it takes to help the team."