PDA

View Full Version : Some Injury News

Lip Man 1
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Doesn't appear to be to serious but something that bears watching:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/owens-quentin-h.html

Lip

UofCSoxFan
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Good to see Ozzie play it on the safe side. Both these guys are fighting for starting spots and may not want to take themselves out of the mix. Thankfully, Oziie is stepping in and tell them to ease back for a few days.

Chicken Dinner
03-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Groin pulls are never good, especially in March!

btrain929
03-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Not that I want this to happen, but how ironic would it be if both of their injuries were so serious they couldn't start the year, and BA swooped into CF, giving us an OF of Swisher/BA/Dye. He's hitting like he wants that job right now. He also had an OF assist today.

doublem23
03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Groin pulls are never good, especially in March!

:pods:
Tell me about it.

WhiteSox5187
03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, that's not good. Two our best options for left (and one for leadoff) are hurt. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

DickAllen72
03-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Not that I want this to happen, but how ironic would it be if both of their injuries were so serious they couldn't start the year, and BA swooped into CF, giving us an OF of Swisher/BA/Dye.
That would suck. I agree with you -- I don't want that to happen.

Let's hope Quentin and Owens are 100% healthy soon and stay that way.

KyWhiSoxFan
03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
At this juncture, Quentin has not done anything to earn a spot on the 25-man roster as far as I'm concerned, so this really gives Anderson a great opportunity. Spring training is getting interesting.

How many options does Quentin have left?

LITTLE NELL
03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
A couple of points, if Jerry Owens is not good enough to start in CF injury or not, he should not make the team. Anderson is the best CF on the team and it seems like he has finally matured. The Sox will be a better team with Anderson in CF and Swisher in left with Quentin and Ozuna as the 4th and 5th outfielders. If Owens is out of the picture you have to have Swisher leading off because of his high OBP. AS of now, this should be the starting lineup.
Swisher LF
Cabrerra SS
Konerko 1B
Thome DH
Dye RF
AJ C
Fields 3B
Richar 2B (could be Uribe or Ramirez)
Anderson CF

skottyj242
03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Jerry Owens kind of looks like DJ in that interview.

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Jerry Owens kind of looks like DJ in that interview.

I saw JO on sportsnite last night talking with some guys on the team. I didn't realize he was so tall.

voodoochile
03-06-2008, 10:12 AM
A couple of points, if Jerry Owens is not good enough to start in CF injury or not, he should not make the team. Anderson is the best CF on the team and it seems like he has finally matured. The Sox will be a better team with Anderson in CF and Swisher in left with Quentin and Ozuna as the 4th and 5th outfielders. If Owens is out of the picture you have to have Swisher leading off because of his high OBP. AS of now, this should be the starting lineup.
Swisher LF
Cabrerra SS
Konerko 1B
Thome DH
Dye RF
AJ C
Fields 3B
Richar 2B (could be Uribe or Ramirez)
Anderson CF

If Quentin can indeed hit like he's projected to hit then the 4th OF should be Owens because he brings speed off the bench. I don't see BA adding enough with his glove or his "bat" to compensate for that fact, HR yesterday against some AAAA scrub not withstanding.

I have hope that BA can up his trade value enough to be included in a package with Crede and bring a higher return, but if not, no major loss and good luck BA.

I'd love his glove in CF, but I don't trust his bat for **** and no glove in the world can make up 100 OPS points let alone 200 that is possible if BA hits for his career average while Quentin turns into a stud.

soxfan13
03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I saw JO on sportsnite last night talking with some guys on the team. I didn't realize he was so tall.

He was wearing platforms:tongue:

soxrme
03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
When we got Quentin the Diamondbacks said it was likely he would not be ready until April. They have known him a lot longer than we have. He should probably be sent down, and rehab in the minors. Why take a chance on a shoulder

LITTLE NELL
03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
If Quentin can indeed hit like he's projected to hit then the 4th OF should be Owens because he brings speed off the bench. I don't see BA adding enough with his glove or his "bat" to compensate for that fact, HR yesterday against some AAAA scrub not withstanding.

I have hope that BA can up his trade value enough to be included in a package with Crede and bring a higher return, but if not, no major loss and good luck BA.

I'd love his glove in CF, but I don't trust his bat for **** and no glove in the world can make up 100 OPS points let alone 200 that is possible if BA hits for his career average while Quentin turns into a stud.
I think we have enough power in that lineup to have BA as our CF. That lineup should produce around 200 HRS with another 20 or so off the bench for a total of 220+. Its too early to give up on BA. Give him till the all star break to either sink or swim.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 10:23 AM

As of right now, due to injuries I'd say that BA is out starting CF, fortunately the season doesn't start tommorrow, so hopefully Quentin CAN live up to his potential, but I'm not really counting on it. If Owens shows that his legs are healthy, I think he's our starting LFer and leadoff guy, but if Owens keeps getting hurt, I think it's BA's job by default...there is also the fact that BA is hitting really well right now, so maybe he's made the necessary adjustments and can contribute with his glove and his bat.

Taliesinrk
03-06-2008, 10:41 AM
As of right now, due to injuries I'd say that BA is out starting CF, fortunately the season doesn't start tommorrow, so hopefully Quentin CAN live up to his potential, but I'm not really counting on it. If Owens shows that his legs are healthy, I think he's our starting CFer and leadoff guy, but if Owens keeps getting hurt, I think it's BA's job by default...there is also the fact that BA is hitting really well right now, so maybe he's made the necessary adjustments and can contribute with his glove and his bat.

I fixed it for you, unless of course you're saying that BA still plays CF with Owens in left and Swisher???

LoveYourSuit
03-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Nothing else been said about getting someone in the trade market (Crisp), so all will probably be resolved within what we have right now.

Speed and bad groins is not a good mix... So Owens IMO will be on the shelf for at least a few weeks here. Because of CC, he was not going start the opener anyway.

It looks like BA will be your opening day CF, unless he falls flat on his face the rest of the spring. Then it looks like Ozuna in LF and Swish in CF.

Ozuna, Swish, Dye togeter in the OF might have the makings of the worst Defensive set up ever.

skottyj242
03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Nothing else been said about getting someone in the trade market (Crisp), so all will probably be resolved within what we have right now.

Speed and bad groins is not a good mix... So Owens IMO will be on the shelf for at least a few weeks here. Because of CC, he was not going start the opener anyway.

It looks like BA will be your opening day CF, unless he falls flat on his face the rest of the spring. Then it looks like Ozuna in LF and Swish in CF.

Ozuna, Swish, Dye togeter in the OF might have the makings of the worst Defensive set up ever.

Will BA be short center and Swish regular center? Or are you saying if BA doesn't make it then Swish will be center and BA in left?

CHIsoxNation
03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
If Owens is out for a decent amount of time and BA got the spot then I think I'd like to see Ramirez win that 2nd base spot. He's having a very nice spring at the plate and I like him in the 1 hole more than Swisher or Cabrera (who I think is the perfect #2 guy).

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I fixed it for you, unless of course you're saying that BA still plays CF with Owens in left and Swisher???
No that's not what I was saying, I was saying that IF Owens is healthy and proves he can get on base frequently, he should be our starting LFer with Swish in CF and Dye in RF...I think that while BA is the best defensive CF we have, Swish will be respectable and has a better arm than Owens, Owens is better suited for LF.

kaufsox
03-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Its too early to give up on BA. Give him till the all star break to either sink or swim.

He had 2006 and part of 2007. BA has had ample opportunity to establish himself in CF. If this team gives/is forced to go with Anderson until the all-star break, they are in trouble.

LITTLE NELL
03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
He had 2006 and part of 2007. BA has had ample opportunity to establish himself in CF. If this team gives/is forced to go with Anderson until the all-star break, they are in trouble.
Hes got 2 strikes, one more and hes out. He is still our best CF. In 06 there was a lot of pressure on him in replacing Rowand and last year he wasnt given much of a chance at all.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
So you give a player one year to have a breakout season and then they're done? :scratch:

LoveYourSuit
03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Will BA be short center and Swish regular center? Or are you saying if BA doesn't make it then Swish will be center and BA in left?

Swish plays LF if Owens or Anderson make the time and start.

One thing you have to like about our roster is the fact that there is flexibility there. Although the options are not great, at least we are looking at players with ML experience (BA and Ozuna).

btrain929
03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
If Owens is out for a decent amount of time and BA got the spot then I think I'd like to see Ramirez win that 2nd base spot. He's having a very nice spring at the plate and I like him in the 1 hole more than Swisher or Cabrera (who I think is the perfect #2 guy).

So you'd be taking 2 lefties out of the lineup (Owens and Richar) and replacing them with 2 righties (BA and Alexei). That would be very right-handed heavy batting order.

LoveYourSuit
03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
So you'd be taking 2 lefties out of the lineup (Owens and Richar) and replacing them with 2 righties (BA and Alexei). That would be very right-handed heavy batting order.

Anyone know if Alexei has taken some work in CF yet?

I think it might be a good idea to be looking into it now.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, under that sceneario Owens would more or less be forced out due to injury. As for Alexi v. Richar, it's whoever looks best in ST. I wouldn't take Richar over Alexi if the rationale was "Well, we need Richar becuase he's a lefty even though Alexi has looked vastly better all spring." Now if it were a tie between the two, I might take Richar cuz you want that left handed bat.

btrain929
03-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, under that sceneario Owens would more or less be forced out due to injury. As for Alexi v. Richar, it's whoever looks best in ST. I wouldn't take Richar over Alexi if the rationale was "Well, we need Richar becuase he's a lefty even though Alexi has looked vastly better all spring." Now if it were a tie between the two, I might take Richar cuz you want that left handed bat.

Right, that's what I was saying. If Richar doesn't impress and Alexei stays hot, I have no problem with him starting.

I wonder if Ozzie has any plans to start Alexei in CF a few games and see how he does. If he's adequate and continues to hit, we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone (CF and leadoff).

But then again, that's a heck of a lot to ask for someone in their first year in the MLB.

russ99
03-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Please. Anderson's obviously being showcased. If he goes north with the club, I'd be shocked.

Given Alexei's play this spring, I'd also hope they try him out in CF sometime soon.

kaufsox
03-06-2008, 05:10 PM
So you give a player one year to have a breakout season and then they're done? :scratch:

He had ample opportunity to take charge of the position, all of 2006 and Spring 2007. He did not cut it, sorry this baseball is a tough business.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
He had ample opportunity to take charge of the position, all of 2006 and Spring 2007. He did not cut it, sorry this baseball is a tough business.
He absolutely tore up spring in 2007. What are you talking about?

At this juncture, Quentin has not done anything to earn a spot on the 25-man roster as far as I'm concerned, so this really gives Anderson a great opportunity. Spring training is getting interesting.

How many options does Quentin have left?
What good would it do to send him down to AAA? Have you seen his minor league stats? He'd win MVP if he put those up in MLB. If he's healthy, he must start.

KRS1
03-06-2008, 05:28 PM

I still refuse to buy this argument. Just look at the situation around his rookie season. On opening day he goes 2-4 with two runs scored and a walk, next day he was sitting on the bench. For who you might ask? Rob Mackowiak, who Ozzie constantly gave BA's AB's to in his rookie year where those are very crucial to a players development and growth. He didn't have the chance to go through the grind and work things out. Then after struggling to start off the year, he has a good second half, the rest of the team collapses, yet the manager still singles him out and throws him under the bus. That good second half came with no reward, as he was seemingly digging himself out of a hole to earn a shot the next season

Last ST he hits .308 .393 .462 with 2 hr's 8/8 k/bb and 2 for 2 in SB's. Yet he got shelved for Darin freaking Erstad who went 300 329 388 and whole lot of unimpressive numbers across the board in 30 more AB's. That doesn't sound like the guy had an ample opportunity to me. More like he got jobbed and set up for failure.

WhiteSox5187
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
He played one year in the majors and struggled, by that logic we should have gotten rid of Ventura after the '90 season because he only hit .249, Mike Schmidt would also have to go because he hit .196 in his first year.

RowanDye
03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Please. Anderson's obviously being showcased. If he goes north with the club, I'd be shocked.

Given Alexei's play this spring, I'd also hope they try him out in CF sometime soon.

The point is that early returns have Anderson winning the "showcase showdown". The team is built to win now, so if Anderson shows he's one of the best 4 OFs on the roster then he should make the team.

If Quentin and Owens prove healthy and able then Anderson can be traded.

ChiSoxGirl
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM

Neither did I 'til I took a picture with him at SoxFest and barely came up to his shoulder. :redface:

kaufsox
03-08-2008, 12:09 AM
I still refuse to buy this argument. Just look at the situation around his rookie season. On opening day he goes 2-4 with two runs scored and a walk, next day he was sitting on the bench. For who you might ask? Rob Mackowiak, who Ozzie constantly gave BA's AB's to in his rookie year where those are very crucial to a players development and growth.

that is a bit of an overstatement. Yes Rob Mack played the next game, but then BA played the next 4 games, going 2/15. He played the majority of the games in April 2006 and by the end of the month had collected 10 hits. I don't think it was a case of sabotage in any event.

KRS1
03-08-2008, 12:31 AM
that is a bit of an overstatement. Yes Rob Mack played the next game, but then BA played the next 4 games, going 2/15. He played the majority of the games in April 2006 and by the end of the month had collected 10 hits. I don't think it was a case of sabotage in any event.

It was just a microcosm of the way he was jerked around all season.

IlliniSox4Life
03-08-2008, 12:34 AM

The argument has happened countless times on here, but the point they are trying to make is that Ozzie or the team somehow was setting BA up to fail. They supposedly mishandled BA. Why in the world would you sit a young player on the second game of the year after he had a great first game and great ST. There is an argument to be made that young players need a lot of practice and a lot of encouragement behind them. Benching a player the second game can send mixed signals and screw them up mentally.

I'm not saying that is necessarily what happened, just that it is one way to look at it.

SCarolina_Ron
03-08-2008, 06:32 AM
I think we have enough power in that lineup to have BA as our CF. That lineup should produce around 200 HRS with another 20 or so off the bench for a total of 220+. Its too early to give up on BA. Give him till the all star break to either sink or swim.

2006 called and they want your point back. We've already seen this movie and it did not end well. It's amazing how an injury report turns into a BA lovefest.

ChiTownTrojan
03-08-2008, 08:32 AM
What the injury report did is emphasized the fact that we need BA. I don't see any way in the world that we can trade him. What if Quentin and Owens both go down? Then we're screwed. Not to mention that Dye is no spring chicken...