PDA

View Full Version : The Sox want you to "Share The Passion."

Sockinchisox
03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Or at least that's the 08 slogan, "Share the Passion. Show the Swagger.", there's an article about it in the Suntimes. I can't link it because I'm on my phone right now.

Edit: Here's the article.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/826074,cst-fin-lew05.article

SoxWillWin
03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Not the best from Mr. Boyer and the marketing dept. I can certainly agree with Sharing the passion, but swagger is something the team has to show US IMHO.

btrain929
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I like it. It can relate to the fans and the players. Last year, our team was just flat and dead. We need to get that swagger back that we had in '05 and a good part of '06.

Ozzie is back to being Ozzie
Swisher is in the house
Konerko is going to be more vocal
AJ is AJ
Numerous young players out to prove themselves

I like it.

KenBerryGrab
03-05-2008, 10:47 AM
At least they didn't use a semi-colon.

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
It's Time.

chisoxmike
03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
They should do a play off of 2002's "Come Ready To Play" this year make it "Come Ready To Pitch"

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
They should do a play off of 2002's "Come Ready To Play" this year make it "Come Ready To Pitch"

Chisoxmike 2008 slogan: Come Ready to Bitch.

chisoxmike
03-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Chisoxmike 2008 slogan: Come Ready to Bitch.
:giverose:

The slogan's fine. It tower's over "Back to the Grind."

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Chips Mike The Dude

:stooges:

chisoxmike
03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Chips Mike The Dude

:stooges:

You can forget about my services on March 31. :cool:

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 11:41 AM
You can forget about my services on March 31. :cool:

D'oh.

#1swisher
03-05-2008, 11:50 AM
lst reaction...didn't like it.
Now it's starting to grow on me.

FoulTerritory
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't like it at all.

"Swagger" especially has become such a cliche term in sports media. If only we could all play with the swashbuckling swagger and child-like joy of Brett Favre. Puke. No more "I walk like a pirate" references please.

Just play with confidence and win.

SoxWillWin
03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
I certainly don't understand why there has to be a tag line EVERY year. But that's just me. For a season after an accomplishment such as a championship (division/league etc.), or a big change such as a Uniform change, or a stadium revamp fine, but every year is just gettin a bit silly.

Law11
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Not a fan of it. Swagger? isnt that something you earn when you win consistently? What do we have to swagger about after last year?
If we come out of the blocks hot with a solid April then you might be able to apply it but if they come out flat that phrase on commercials will look ridiculous.

SoxWillWin
03-05-2008, 12:13 PM
The definition of the word swagger pretty much says enough

swag·ger
–verb (used without object) 1.to walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air. Possible defiance to being picked to finish 3rd, but no reason not to at this point
2.to boast or brag noisily. again...boasting about...???
–verb (used with object) 3.to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering. Blustering in this case might actually fit considering one of the definitions of blustering is to make loud EMPTY threats....
–noun 4.swaggering manner, conduct, or walk; ostentatious display of arrogance and conceit. Nothing to be arrogant or conceited about now...2005 is long gone

oeo
03-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Not a fan of it. Swagger? isnt that something you earn when you win consistently? What do we have to swagger about after last year?
If we come out of the blocks hot with a solid April then you might be able to apply it but if they come out flat that phrase on commercials will look ridiculous.

You don't 'earn' swagger. It's almost just being cocky.

They can come into the season with swagger. Then you have to win to keep that swagger.

billcissell
03-05-2008, 12:40 PM
In my opinion, "swagger" is reserved for those who have earned it. This team is coming off a terrible year. The passion part is okay. The swagger part I just don't get.

Carolina Kenny
03-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I certainly don't understand why there has to be a tag line EVERY year. But that's just me. For a season after an accomplishment such as a championship (division/league etc.), or a big change such as a Uniform change, or a stadium revamp fine, but every year is just gettin a bit silly.

I agree. Last year stripped us from any positive indentity.
"The Kids Can Play" was a year AFTER the kids actually played.

"Good Guys Wear Black", was AFTER a uniform change.

"Winning Ugly" was created not BEFORE the season started by some marketing commitee. It was created by totally organic means from a opposing managers comments DURING the season.

Its alot like giving a player a prefab nickname instead of letting his play, traits etc. create the nickname as a natural thing.

I think the new marketing slogan is really sucky. "Back to the Grind" was sucky but at least referred to the "grinder rules" which are a true Sox creation.

btrain929
03-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Any phrase will look ridiculous if you suck in the beginning of the year. Unless it's "Win or lose, we gave it our best. Hooray!"

SoxWillWin
03-05-2008, 01:07 PM
"The Kids Can Play" was a year AFTER the kids actually played.

I mean if you want to base it on last year it should be something like...White Sox baseball..."We can hit, no really, we can!"

rdwj
03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I like it, but I wanted to see "It can't possibly be as bad as last year"

SoxWillWin
03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I'd love to see a commercial using a previous years failures...Like Konerko watching himself ground into numerous double plays then smashing the TV with his bat... Or Dotel and linebrink watching video of the bullpen exploding last year, laughing thier asses off...would keep my attention more than what they're doing now.

kittle42
03-05-2008, 01:38 PM

As Darth Vader said, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :cool:

pdimas
03-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Anyone see the "He Gone" Commercial yet?

It cracked me up.

The "Sweep" one not so much.

chisoxmike
03-05-2008, 02:26 PM
As Darth Vader said, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :cool:

Ha. Oops. :redface:

TDog
03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
At least they didn't use a semi-colon.

No, they didn't. He signed with the Red Sox. That reminds me of the suggestion here a few years ago for the slogan, "Smell our Colon."

Marketing slogans are usually bad in hindsight because they only work if the team has a great season. Few teams have great seasons. And when they do, they don't need a marketing slogan.

I don't hear the marketing slogan or see it posted on billboards, but I have to say that it doesn't sound bad, all things considered. If the team ends up playing lifeless baseball, however, it will become a joke.

downstairs
03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
The Stone Pony Wants You!

ws05champs
03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
On one hand I like it. I hope the "Swagger" turns into a self-fulfilling prophesy. On the other hand the whole slogan is going to be damn tough to say after a few beers.

In any case I'm happy that BBDO/Chicago is the new agency. I have liked a lot of their work in the past.

Shoeless
03-07-2008, 02:57 PM
The phrase is a bit of a mouthful. I guess it's better than going back to "the kids can play"; that one always struck me unusual.

jenn2080
03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
D'oh.

Way to go Bing Bong.

thomas35forever
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
If the Sox had played better last year, I would have embrassed that "Passion, Pride, Tradition" tagline a little more. But really, who had the desire to feel any of that last year. The tagline just made me more disappointed in the 2007 team. I hope they take it out of the intro video this year.

jabrch
03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't like it at all.

"Swagger" especially has become such a cliche term in sports media. If only we could all play with the swashbuckling swagger and child-like joy of Brett Favre. Puke. No more "I walk like a pirate" references please.

Just play with confidence and win.

So you think "swagger" is cliche, but "confidence" isn't?

SoxWillWin
03-08-2008, 01:16 AM
So you think "swagger" is cliche, but "confidence" isn't?

apples and oranges...just by definition of the two words alone.

hsnterprize
03-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I'll give the Sox credit for trying on this one. The "Share the Passion" part of the slogan definitely fits with me. Let's face it...a lot of us have a deep passion for the White Sox. The "...swagger" part is a stretch for me only because it puts our team out there for people to pay more attention to. That means on the flip side...if the Sox have another bad year like last year, the motto will be laughed out of existence.

Like last year's "We Are Chicago Baseball", "Show the Swagger" puts our team in a position where we either have to "put up or shut up.". It's a fun slogan if our team plays well, but if they have a bad year like last year...look out. I thought the whole "We Are Chicago Baseball" slogan was a joke...I said to myself one day, "If THIS is Chicago baseball, then I'd rather move to Milwaukee."

There's nothing wrong with being confident, but you have to put your money where your mouth is. Anything less, and you're only setting yourself up for failure and embarrassment. In the Sox' case, they're setting not only themselves for failure if they live up to their motto, but us fans are also prone to "go down with the ship".

Shoeless
03-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I thought the whole "We Are Chicago Baseball" slogan was a joke...I said to myself one day, "If THIS is Chicago baseball, then I'd rather move to Milwaukee."

Especially coming from a team that tried to move to Florida fifteen years ago. "It took us 15 years to be sure, but we're pretty positive this is Chicago baseball."

skobabe8
03-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Especially coming from a team that tried to move to Florida fifteen years ago. "It took us 15 years to be sure, but we're pretty positive this is Chicago baseball."

1993? :?::scratch:

Shoeless
03-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Alright, so my math is bad at 10 AM, or maybe I'm just stuck in 2005...:wink:

chisox77
03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I like passion. Passion is good.

:cool:

skobabe8
03-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Alright, so my math is bad at 10 AM, or maybe I'm just stuck in 2005...:wink:

No harm, rook!

Belated welcome! :D:

DoItForDanPasqua
03-08-2008, 01:41 PM
This is worse hubris than "It's Time." To share in any "swagger," a team must first be good. In the event the Sox get off to a slow start, this slogan will only be used to make a mockery of the team. We'll wind up sharing in that instead.

This also reminds me of the fan-o-meter which tells people to applaud because the scoreboard commands it. I'll have swagger (however it may be defined) when the team makes me feel like it, namely by winning.

SteveFakeBlood
03-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Beyond the troubles with the definition of "swagger" and whether the Sox have it or not, it just seems very awkwardly phrased....

The only problem I had with "Back to the Grind" was that what was on the field so horribly didn't fit it. I thought "We are Chicago baseball" was great, simply because it was at least in a passive way a hilariously frivolous, unprovoked dig at the Cubs.

"Share the passion" is good, but it should've been left at that. Of course, none of this is "Win or die trying"....

~Steve

TornLabrum
03-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I loved Carl Skanberg's take on "Share the Passion."

Viva Medias B's
03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Anyone see the "He Gone" Commercial yet?

The UPS guy could use a style update. His look is so '70s.