PDA

View Full Version : Papelbon wants more money...he is not happy

Fenway
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
:o:

Papelbon confirmed that the two sides have gotten to the point where they won't be able to even get close to working out a long-term deal.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/03/pap_on_his_cont.html

soltrain21
03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Pap is a little cocky. Closers can go from lights out to nothing in a very short time.

munchman33
03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Pap is a little cocky. Closers can go from lights out to nothing in a very short time.

All the more reason to cash in for as much as possible.

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey man, Playstation 3 isn't cheap

thedudeabides
03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
That's a little arrogant to be comparing himself to Rivera already. Why doesn't he just play out his obligation like everyone else and let the judge decide what he makes next year. I like this guy less and less every time he opens his mouth. :angry:

Viva Medias B's
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I cannot stand him.

oeo
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I cannot stand him.

He's annoying. Always looking for the cameras, and most of the time his act looks fake. Example: their pennant win last year...just putting on a show.

JermaineDye05
03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
He's annoying. Always looking for the cameras, and most of the time his act looks fake. Example: their pennant win last year...just putting on a show.

I cannot agree with you more, I mean I know he was excited and all but for some reason it felt like he was overselling it a bit. Maybe that's just how he shows excitement/joy. I cannot stand watching that clip every time I go to mlb.tv or wherever else I see it.

champagne030
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
That's a little arrogant to be comparing himself to Rivera already. Why doesn't he just play out his obligation like everyone else and let the judge decide what he makes next year. I like this guy less and less every time he opens his mouth. :angry:

Douche nozzle comes to mind.....:cool:

Fenway
03-04-2008, 11:58 PM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/BDD_JP_pacifier_3.4.08.jpg

gobears1987
03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I am SOOOOO glad we have Bobby Jenks.

DumpJerry
03-05-2008, 12:15 AM
If he hasn't do so already, he should retain Boarass. Yeah Johnny, hire Scott.....

kevin57
03-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Have him sell last year's World Series ball.

That'll give him all the dough he wants.

Viva Medias B's
03-05-2008, 07:56 AM

You mean he hasn't thought of others? In other words, he did not hand to ball over to his team's owner like Paul Konerko did? I cannot believe it!

cws05champ
03-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm getting tired of these kids who can't keep their mouths shut. Don't they get it...they get to play baseball for money. And even making $400-700K/year, these guys make more in one year than the average person makes in 10 years. Hearing the Papelbon's and the Prince Fielder's of the world is not something the average fan wants to do.

palehozenychicty
03-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I loved it when Dye took him deep a couple years back in that Saturday game. Problem is, the Good Guys fell apart after that weekend. :(:

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 09:45 AM

You mean he hasn't thought of others? In other words, he did not hand to ball over to his team's owner like Paul Konerko did? I cannot believe it!

His dog ate it.

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I loved it when Dye took him deep a couple years back in that Saturday game. Problem is, the Good Guys fell apart after that weekend. :(:

Wasn't that the Sunday marathon game?

Steelrod
03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm getting tired of these kids who can't keep their mouths shut. Don't they get it...they get to play baseball for money. And even making $400-700K/year, these guys make more in one year than the average person makes in 10 years. Hearing the Papelbon's and the Prince Fielder's of the world is not something the average fan wants to do.
Try to remember that they have a short window of 5-10 years to make hundreds of millions, where the average fan has 30-40 years at their career to accumulate that kind of money!:tongue:

Mr.1Dog
03-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Try to remember that they have a short window of 5-10 years to make hundreds of millions, where the average fan has 30-40 years at their career to accumulate that kind of money!:tongue:

If we're that lucky. If all else fails for him, there is always the ballroom circut.:bandance:

CashMan
03-05-2008, 10:58 AM

I agree with you 100%, although I am 23, I am old school. But, the argument would be, he is roughly my age and is LIGHTS out. If you could make $10mill a year to do your job, would you turn it down to make 700k instead?

South Side Irish
03-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with you 100%, although I am 23, I am old school. But, the argument would be, he is roughly my age and is LIGHTS out. If you could make $10mill a year to do your job, would you turn it down to make 700k instead?

There needs to be happy medium. He should be happy being in his 20's and lights out pitcher making 5 or 6 mil per. That's ****ing great money! Sure, he can squeeze out an extra 3 or 4, but doe you really need to do that?

Madscout
03-05-2008, 11:42 AM
There needs to be happy medium. He should be happy being in his 20's and lights out pitcher making 5 or 6 mil per. That's ****ing great money! Sure, he can squeeze out an extra 3 or 4, but doe you really need to do that?

If this is your only skill, then yes. Used car sales and other odd jobs that come with retirement can't always pay the bills. And, these guys aren't smart with money. While you and I could figure out how to make 30 million last us, these guys might not be so prudent. I still don't like him or the newspaper that reported it making it public. That is kinda ****ty.

Heffalump
03-05-2008, 11:42 AM

So if you are making $40K and the guy next to you doing the same job is making $60K, are you going to say "oh, I'm in my 20's I should just be happy that I am making $40K? OF COURSE NOT. This is the same thing, just on a much higher level. It doesn't matter what the amounts are, it is all about what the market will bear for the work being done.

Of course, I think he is a spoiled prima donna, just like most major leaguers. That being said, he should get as much money as the owners are willing to shell out for his services.

jenn2080
03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
What a cocky bitch.

CashMan
03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
What a cocky bitch.

How so?

This isn't like Marketing or being a CEO of a company, where the older you are, the more experience you have. In the game of baseball, if you are in your early 20's and can be lights out, you are a HOT commodity. And with arm problems , I do not blame him one bit.

getonbckthr
03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
When you see other guys getting the same kind of extension your looking for you start wanting it too.

CashMan
03-05-2008, 02:01 PM
When you see other guys getting the same kind of extension your looking for you start wanting it too.

I agree, it is one thing, if he was cocky and was John Rocker, which was bad, but him being cocky and as good as he is, is an entirely different thing. I would pay this guy. With those three pitchers Boston has, Bucholtz, Lester, and Papelbon, they look scary.

palehozenychicty
03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Wasn't that the Sunday marathon game?

You are right. It was the Sunday marathon game.

AZChiSoxFan
03-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Wait a minute. Do you mean that after they are done playing at age 35, they are obligated to sit around and do nothing for the rest of their lives? They can't get a college degree or learn a trade and go to work? Wow, who knew?

AZChiSoxFan
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM

But these guys know (or should know) how the game works. It's simply the way the CBA is set up. If you only have one or two years of service time, you basically make what the club tells you that you will make. That's the way it is. It's odd though that I don't ever seem to remember hearing guys with little service time complaining about this. Now, this year, in the span of a couple of day, Papelbon, Fielder and Markakis are all worked up about it. Come on fellas. Put your time in and you too will soon be making tens of millions a year. Until then, do whatever you can to feed your families on only half a mil a year.

Domeshot17
03-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I think all these young players need to the shut the hell up. They want the team to show them all this loyalty and pay out big deals early on in their renew phase. You think any of these guys is going to show their team that loyalty when it comes time for Free Agency?

****, Paplebon will probably sign his deal, look into the camera, give a dramatic fist pump followed by a yell, then go dance around.