PDA

View Full Version : Chris Singleton Appreciation Thread

eriqjaffe
03-04-2008, 12:09 PM
C'mon, guys, let's all relive CS's greatest moments in the booth!

I fully expect this thread to garner upwards of 3 posts before being locked and/or Roadhoused. ;)

ode to veeck
03-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I miss his slow swing near the bottom of the order in '00.
He was a decent CF defensively

spawn
03-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Singleton was put into a no-win situation. He was expected to learn from a guy who has no business in the booth as a PBP man. Singleton is a class act, and I wish him well at ESPN. Hopefully he blossoms there.

Chilli Palmer
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
It wasn't your fault your broadcast partner was/is a condescending jackass.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 12:15 PM
I never understood the Chris Singleton hate. Seemed like a nice guy and as far as I could tell he was good with the fans. Blame the Sox for putting him there and not ponying up the money for someone else.

Good luck at ESPN, Chris.

KenBerryGrab
03-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Good guy, wrong gig. All the best, Chris!

C-Dawg
03-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Chris was better in the booth after just a few months than DJ EVER will be.

ode to veeck
03-04-2008, 12:17 PM

Yep a nice move woulda been to move him to the TV and replace DJ, but then you'd still have (ugh) the Hack, er I mean Hawk

doublem23
03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
He was put in the unenviable position of replacing John Rooney, who was wonderful. I hope Chris shows some White Sox love on The Network.

StatManDu
03-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Nice guy, just awful on the radio ... Clearly in over his head ... Disappointed he didn't know how to keep score when he got the job ... Also, a little perplexed that he didn't know who ken kaiser was

PicktoCLick72
03-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Probably my third favorite Sox Player to hit for the cycle in the last 15 years.

Uncle_Patrick
03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Best of luck to Chris. He seems like a good guy.

billcissell
03-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Like Spawn noted earlier, he was set up for failure. Working with an egomaniac like Farmer didn't help. Rather than helping him along during the broadcasts, Farmer seemed to go out of his way to make his partner look bad. All the best to Chris in his new position.

DeadMoney
03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
"To the track, to the wall, and [White Sox Player] will touch 'em all!!!"

hi im skot
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Singleton was put into a no-win situation. He was expected to learn from a guy who has no business in the booth as a PBP man. Singleton is a class act, and I wish him well at ESPN. Hopefully he blossoms there.

Word.

Best of luck, Chris!

Marqhead
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Every Thrusday..........................Dollar hot dog day.......................here.................... ..at the Cell......................that's every Thursday.......................home game.........................

I want Mags back
03-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Probably my third favorite Sox Player to hit for the cycle in the last 15 years.

who else has in the last 15 other than Valentine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_for_the_cycle#Number_of_cycles_by_team

thomas35forever
03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Uh...thanks for patrolling centerfield in 2000 Chris.

Bump34
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM

I agree

PalehosePlanet
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I agree

Willsie!! When is your contract up?

Seriously, we'll start a petition to bring you back.

XplodingScorbord
03-04-2008, 01:13 PM

Spawn nailed it. Best of luck Chris. Keep the White Sox love!

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Considering the circumstances (partner, rookie at this), I thought he was a very good analyst. He was sounding good in spring too. Play by play just wasn't his thing

And not to completely rip on Farmer, find him funny, and loved him with Rooney, but not so much on PBP

Frontman
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
His home run call was fun, but I'll always remember (since I have it on my computer/mp3 player) his call from Mark's no-hitter. He was the first out of the broadcasters to get excited and his "AND THAT'S STRIKE THREE.....Laird looking.....White Sox head back into the dugout...." part of the montage WSCR put together is just at the right time of the game.

I also think back to last year's season opener, when Ed's daughter was in a car crash (thankfully all was well) but how he conducted himself with Stoney. Chris wasn't going to let down the fans nor Steve or Ed and did his best; stepping up and actually broadcasted a good game with Steve.

Another funny moment was the 2006 season when the Sox were going to do the "renew your vows" day at the Cell, and Singelton suggested he and Farmio go down there to 'annoint' their partnership and 'jump the broom.'

I thought Farmio was going to lose his mind on that one.

That and when he called Boone Logan a "Bone Lugan."

Thanks Chris, and good luck to 'im.

bryPt
03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Good guy, wrong gig. All the best, Chris!

+1

Dolanski
03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Harry Doyle (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0879902/): Monty, anything to add?
C Singleton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0342502/): Ummm... no.
Harry Doyle (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0879902/): He's not the best colorman in the league for nothing, folks!

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Ya know, I actually liked Singleton, he got excited for games and was put in a tough spot working with the monotone Farmer. But Stone is a great improvement. Best of luck at ESPN Chris!

Boondock Saint
03-04-2008, 02:01 PM
It's hard to grow when someone's got you under their boot at all times. Here's to hoping that he can grow from here.

kevingrt
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Congrats to Chris. Good luck man.

alohafri
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Why all the Farmer hate? Farmer seemed to have been put in a position that he wasn't qualified for either. He is a good color commentator, but as a play by play guy, he isn't good. Seems that if you are placing someone with no play by play experience, you should have an experienced color guy. Singleton shouldn't have been put in that position...Farmer either. I am hoping for good things with a Farmer/Stone pairing.

Frontman
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Why all the Farmer hate? Farmer seemed to have been put in a position that he wasn't qualified for either. He is a good color commentator, but as a play by play guy, he isn't good. Seems that if you are placing someone with no play by play experience, you should have an experienced color guy. Singleton shouldn't have been put in that position...Farmer either. I am hoping for good things with a Farmer/Stone pairing.

I never have hated Farmer, other than disappearing in those middle innings on Singelton. Ed was very nice when I met him.

Hendu
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
He was improving, but he never should have been put in that position in the first place - taking over for one of the best in the biz the season following our first World Series championship since 1917. Not to mention having to put up with Farmio.

Having said that, one thing I won't miss is his describing the play before telling us the result. On a 3-2 pitch with the bases juiced, I don't want to know what type of pitch it was and where it was located before I know whether the ump called it a strike or a ball.

soxinem1
03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2006/03/14/hagmanlarry_cp_207978.jpg

'Now I figya if ya can't say anythin nice, don't say anythin at all'

hdog1017
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Singleton had no business being hired in the first place. There were many more deserving and better color guys who they could have hired. He's a nice guy, but I miss Singleton in the booth as much as I miss the SARS that I had last week.

Jenks4Prez
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I am sorry but this guy was horrible. Good riddance!

SOXPHILE
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
"...cut on and missed...strike one...."

"...cut on and missed....there's strike two...."

"....cut on and missed....strike three.....he'll head back to the dugout....."

Frontman
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
"...cut on and missed...strike one...."

"...cut on and missed....there's strike two...."

"....cut on and missed....strike three.....he'll head back to the dugout....."

Now come on. Of course that would be the call that he made all last season. The Sox were awesome in the strike out category.

TornLabrum
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I've already expressed my opinion on the situation in the radio booth, but I'll repeat what I've said on the home page.

Chris Singleton's biggest problem in the booth was Ed Farmer. Chris has emceed a couple of WCSF luncheons the past two years. I was at the one where he interviewed Ozzie Guillen. He'd only been in the booth a couple of months, and I was really afraid it would be bad. The two of them sat on the stage and talked baseball for a half hour or 45 minutes, and he was terrific.

He hosted another luncheon this past September that I was unable to attend, and the reviews from everybody there were the same: he was great.

Singleton was put in an untenable situation. Unfortunately the man best qualified to take over the radio PBP job had moved to Tampa the year before. With Willsy, Singleton would have been paired with a guy who knew how to do PBP and who could help him along (as he did with Bill Melton for a year at Kane County back in the '90s). Wills/Stone would be a dream team. Farmer has got to go. I don't see his ego tolerating Stone for long.

The Dude
03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Every Thrusday..........................Dollar hot dog day.......................here.................... ..at the Cell......................that's every Thursday.......................home game.........................

Perfect! Good riddance slow swing. I couldn't wait for you to leave the Sox as a player and the same went for radio analyst. :bandance: Bring on Stone

cards press box
03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I've already expressed my opinion on the situation in the radio booth, but I'll repeat what I've said on the home page.

Chris Singleton's biggest problem in the booth was Ed Farmer. Chris has emceed a couple of WCSF luncheons the past two years. I was at the one where he interviewed Ozzie Guillen. He'd only been in the booth a couple of months, and I was really afraid it would be bad. The two of them sat on the stage and talked baseball for a half hour or 45 minutes, and he was terrific.

He hosted another luncheon this past September that I was unable to attend, and the reviews from everybody there were the same: he was great.

I agree that Singleton had to labor under the burden of a seemingly hostile partner in the radio booth. I could never figure that out, either. I think Singleton will do very well at ESPN. Give ESPN credit for seeing that Singleton could excel if used properly.

Boy, do I hope that Dave Wills comes back next year. My suspicion is that the Sox move Stone over to TV with Hawk and have Wills broadcast with either DJ or Farmer in the radio booth. Does this sound plausible?

JB98
03-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Singleton was put in an untenable situation. Unfortunately the man best qualified to take over the radio PBP job had moved to Tampa the year before. With Willsy, Singleton would have been paired with a guy who knew how to do PBP and who could help him along (as he did with Bill Melton for a year at Kane County back in the '90s). Wills/Stone would be a dream team. Farmer has got to go. I don't see his ego tolerating Stone for long.

I agree with you, Hal. Chris is a good man who was put in a difficult spot. I wouldn't be surprised if he is successful in his new endeavor.

Being the "newbie" in the booth, I don't think Singleton was able to stand up to Farmio's domineering ways.

SoxandtheCityTee
03-04-2008, 07:15 PM

I was there and I agree. I'm happy for Chris and think his new gig at BBTN may well use his skills a lot better than the old one. As others have said, it's a win-win. I like Chris Singleton and wish him nothing but success.

hose
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Chris was a nice guy but had no business being in the Sox radio booth. Ed Farmer wasn't the reason Singleton was terrible.

It would be like my buddy trying to wire my house. He's a nice guy but doesn't know the first thing about electricity or codes. I'm sure he could pull the wire in but none of the outlets would work properly and the house would probably burn down.

Why didn't Singleton learn his new trade down in the minors get some experience and then try radio in the bigs?

hose
03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Boy, do I hope that Dave Wills comes back next year. My suspicion is that the Sox move Stone over to TV with Hawk and have Wills broadcast with either DJ or Farmer in the radio booth. Does this sound plausible?

Wills ....yes!!!!

Dave has a good gig going with Tampa, I'm not sure he would give it up.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I think Dave signed an extension last year, he may not be available for two seasons. (Bump if you're reading this can you confirm?)

Even if Dave could come back I have no idea what his relationship is with Ed. Would Ed be receptive to "just" going back to color? I don't know.

I have heard that Stone and Hawk despite appearances had some friction when the two worked together for a week last year. I don't know what side that was coming from.

I agree somewhat that it wasn't totally Chris' "fault." He was put in a bad position with very limited actual experience, but that begs the bigger issue. Why was he hired then in the first place?

Lip

soxfan1983
03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
good riddance!:dtroll:

fed ex 4 pasqua
03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I appreciate his leaving.

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I think Dave signed an extension last year, he may not be available for two seasons. (Bump if you're reading this can you confirm?)

Even if Dave could come back I have no idea what his relationship is with Ed. Would Ed be receptive to "just" going back to color? I don't know.

I have heard that Stone and Hawk despite appearances had some friction when the two worked together for a week last year. I don't know what side that was coming from.

I agree somewhat that it wasn't totally Chris' "fault." He was put in a bad position with very limited actual experience, but that begs the bigger issue. Why was he hired then in the first place?

Lip
How are you supposed to get experience unless somewhat takes a chance on ya and gives you a job? And he's a color guy too, there are a lot of guys that go straight from the field to the booth, unlike PBP where you start out in the minors.

Brian26
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM

That's a bit of an exaggeration. :rolleyes:

Frontman
03-04-2008, 08:18 PM
See, I have to agree with Hal. Although Farmio was nice in person, you can hear a complete difference in Chris when he would be on "White Sox Weekly" or when he did the season opener with Stoney.

He was more relaxed, as both the Ranger and Stoney are more relaxed individuals. Ed is a pretty intense personality, and that could put anyone on edge.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
White Sox 5187:

You get your experience as a color analyst just like a play by play person....in the minor leagues or by doing high school or college games.

The White Sox position is in the 3rd largest market in the country and at the the top (as is the other MLB broadcasting jobs) of the pyramid as far as the ultimate a broadcaster who wants to do baseball can get to. (i.e. in the big leagues.)

You do not get "on the job training" in Chicago. You get it in places like Lexington, Kentucky...Monroe, Louisiana or Pocatello, Idaho.

That's the way the system is supposed to work.

Lip

FARMEO
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Singleton did a good job with interviews and talking about baseball. He was comfortable talking about baseball because that is what he knows. However, there is more to broadcasting baseball then understanding the game. Singleton's new role is a better fit for him at this stage of his career.

kba
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
However, there is more to broadcasting baseball then understanding the game.

That's a great point, and one that a lot of people miss. Sometimes I see people calling for a guy like Jack McDowell or Robin Ventura to be hired as a full-time announcer based on a couple of guest appearances they did with Hawk or DJ. Maybe they'd be great, but just because they sounded affable in a guest role doesn't mean they can handle all the duties of an announcer.

TomBradley72
03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I remember he hit a line drive double against the Mariners in the 2000 play offs.

That was cool.

Best of luck Chris.

Martinigirl
03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I liked Singleton a lot more than I like Farmer. I would have much rather seen Singleton/Stone than Farmer with anyone. He drives me insane.

But I wish Chris all the best and I hope he does go to Baseball Tonight. It would be nice to see someone who knows that the baseball world does exist beyond the AL East.

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
White Sox 5187:

You get your experience as a color analyst just like a play by play person....in the minor leagues or by doing high school or college games.

The White Sox position is in the 3rd largest market in the country and at the the top (as is the other MLB broadcasting jobs) of the pyramid as far as the ultimate a broadcaster who wants to do baseball can get to. (i.e. in the big leagues.)

You do not get "on the job training" in Chicago. You get it in places like Lexington, Kentucky...Monroe, Louisiana or Pocatello, Idaho.

That's the way the system is supposed to work.

Lip
If you're a color guy, I think they just grab you right off the field, isn't that what they did with Hawk? With Stoney? Those guys didn't work in places like Lexington, Monroe or Pocatello...

Save McCuddy's
03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I believe he's the only sock in my lifetime to go for the cycle. Thanks Chris.

chaerulez
03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
If you're a color guy, I think they just grab you right off the field, isn't that what they did with Hawk? With Stoney? Those guys didn't work in places like Lexington, Monroe or Pocatello...

Well being former players, it kind of shoots them up to the top of the chart. People who make a career out of broadcasting starting in college have to work their way up.

Lip Man 1
03-05-2008, 12:54 PM
There are a lot of former athletes working games in the places I mentioned as well as the high minor leagues. It doesn't automatically shoot you to the top nor should it, if like Chris, you had difficulties in communicating and in learing the fine points of what an analysts needs to say and when to do it.

Lip

Soxfest
03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I appreciate his leaving.

I second that!:smile:

spawn
03-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I believe he's the only sock in my lifetime to go for the cycle. Thanks Chris.

:manos
"What about me?"

SOX&the city
03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Singleton was hired with no experience and asked to improve quickly, which he did. ESPN now gets an ex-player who knows broadcasting. Not many of those. Was he great here? No. He was pretty good. Don't forget he had only two years--Ed Farmer has had 17!! Working with Farmio sounded very difficult. Love Stone. Bring back Rooney.

Lip Man 1
03-05-2008, 06:07 PM
John is not coming back.

And in an interesting bit of wording Teddy Greenstein in his column today on this said that "Rooney left in a contract dispute..."

Hmmmmm...

If true that changes the picture of him wanting the St. Louis job because it was close to home doesn't it?

Lip

EndemicSox
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
1 down, 1 to go...:cool:

J/k, Farmer is solid when the Sox have a winning team...but I guess we all can tolerate a bit more when the on-field product is performing at a high level...

SoxandtheCityTee
03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Singleton was hired with no experience and asked to improve quickly, which he did. ESPN now gets an ex-player who knows broadcasting. Not many of those. Was he great here? No. He was pretty good. Don't forget he had only two years--Ed Farmer has had 17!! Working with Farmio sounded very difficult. Love Stone. Bring back Rooney.

:welcome:

Love the name.

Save McCuddy's
03-06-2008, 10:01 AM
:manos
"What about me?"

Ah, yes... CS was the only non-moustached sock I can recall going for the cycle. Thanks for the memory Spawn.