PDA

View Full Version : Danks mighty impressive yesterday

rdivaldi
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
He was ahead of hitters, popping his fastball in at 91- 93 consistently, hitting 95 on occasion. I also thought he was hitting his spots well, most of his pitches were hitting right where Armstrong put his glove down. Lots of swings and misses by Royals hitters.

BRDSR
03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Lots of swings and misses by Royals hitters.

How many pitchers can't say that when they face the Royals?

But really, Danks has looked pretty good in both starts. Everybody's fond of saying that it's just spring training, just meaningless games, etc. etc. But, even in meaningless games, you can either do good or bad. Obviously, it's encouraging to see the good.

jabrch
03-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Did you see the cutter? How did it look?

The Immigrant
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM

The cutter looked good, as did his fastball. He had trouble throwing the changeup for strikes and I didn't really see many breaking balls mixed in. His first inning was better than the second and third, but it was encouraging to see him go back to the cutter whenever he fell behind hitters. He still needs to work on keeping his fastball down.

btrain929
03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
He was ahead of hitters, popping his fastball in at 91- 93 consistently, hitting 95 on occasion. I also thought he was hitting his spots well, most of his pitches were hitting right where Armstrong put his glove down. Lots of swings and misses by Royals hitters.

Danks was hitting 95? Wow...

Domeshot17
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I liked when he was talking to DJ after his 3 innings, and they were talking about refocusing on attacking the strike zone. I know it is an over used expression, but yesterday Danks wasnt nibbling the corners. Thats how he gets himself in trouble. The cutter looked good because it set up his fastball well.

doublem23
03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I liked when he was talking to DJ after his 3 innings, and they were talking about refocusing on attacking the strike zone. I know it is an over used expression, but yesterday Danks wasnt nibbling the corners. Thats how he gets himself in trouble. The cutter looked good because it set up his fastball well.

Yep. Al of his pitches had a purpose yesterday. He was working every hitter well. Put me in the "psyched for '08" club.

spawn
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Yep. Al of his pitches had a purpose yesterday. He was working every hitter well. Put me in the "psyched for '08" club.
Word. I could be wrong, and you can call me a pollyanna, but I think this team is going to surprise a lot of so-called 'experts' this season.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 11:34 AM
It's March 4.

btrain929
03-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Let's say he has 3 or so more outings that our outstanding. Do you keep pitching him all through spring, or do you start thinking that he is on his game and save him for the season? He's not a young #5 anymore, we're depending on him to be our #3. Should we already start thinking about wanting to save his arm/legs if he continues to show he's effective and in mid-season form?

voodoochile
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Let's say he has 3 or so more outings that our outstanding. Do you keep pitching him all through spring, or do you start thinking that he is on his game and save him for the season? He's not a young #5 anymore, we're depending on him to be our #3. Should we already start thinking about wanting to save his arm/legs if he continues to show he's effective and in mid-season form?

Part of spring is also stretching out the arm after an off season of rest. He needs to get work in and to throw longer and longer outings to prepare for the regular season when it will be expected of him.

doublem23
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
It's March 4.

No one is annointing him Opening Day starter or penciling him in for 20 wins, we're just commenting on the fact that Danks had a pretty good looking outing yesterday, especially considering it looks like he's worked on some of his weaknesses from last year (nibbling and falling behind batters).

Does this suit you better?:

John Danks sucks. It was a Spring Training game against the Royals. He should have struck out all 9 batters he faced and shouldn't have had to throw more than 3 pitches to any of them.

rdivaldi
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
It's March 4.

True, but you can evaluate a pitchers' performance based on a analysis of whether or not they hit their spots, their velocity and their movement on any date.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
John Danks sucks. It was a Spring Training game against the Royals. He should have struck out all 9 batters he faced and shouldn't have had to throw more than 3 pitches to any of them.

I would've said its March 4 if he did that, or if he gave up 10 runs in the first inning.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
True, but you can evaluate a pitchers' performance based on a analysis of whether or not they hit their spots, their velocity and their movement on any date.

Yeah, but he can completely have the opposite outing in a few days. Then what, can someone come on here and post how he sucks or how he doesn't look good?

Its the first week of spring training games. I think a better gage of where the players are is in the final week and a half of March.

rdivaldi
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, but he can completely have the opposite outing in a few days. Its the first week of spring training games. I think a better gage of where the players are is in the final week and a half of March.

I too would rather see dominant performances on March 23rd as opposed to March 3rd. Yesterdays performance gives me more confidence that we'll be seeing that.

He looked good in his first start too.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I too would rather see dominant performances on March 23rd as opposed to March 3rd. Yesterdays performance gives me more confidence that we'll be seeing that.

He looked good in his first start too.

He did. I'm not really concerned with Danks. He'll be a fine pitcher in the rotation this year, and hopefully years to come.

I'm more concerned how Contreras, Floyd, and Linebrink pitch this spring.

rdivaldi
03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm more concerned how Contreras, Floyd, and Linebrink pitch this spring.

For some reason I'm not concerned about Contreras. Floyd is my biggest concern, especially since I don't think we have much of a backup plan. I don't know what to think of Linebrink, good years mixed in with questionable years. Pretty much the definition of a middle reliever if you ask me. The only thing I'm confident of is that he'll be much better than the garbage we trotted out there last year.

PalehosePlanet
03-04-2008, 12:26 PM

He threw a 3-2 cutter to Mark Tehan in the 1st inning which was beauty. Tehan had given up on the pitch and even jumped back a little bit for effect, but it came back and caught the corner at 92 --- which is great velocity for a cutter.

Otherwise, he hit 96 on the gun twice, 95 twice, and 93 and 94 consistantly.

He didn't throw many changeups, curveballs or sliders

btrain929
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
He threw a 3-2 cutter to Mark Tehan in the 1st inning which was beauty. Tehan had given up on the pitch and even jumped back a little bit for effect, but it came back and caught the corner at 92 --- which is great velocity for a cutter.

I didn't know he could throw it up there that hard. I figured he always topped out at 93. If he can really throw it around 94 and 95, his changeup and cutter become that much more effective, and vice versa.

PalehosePlanet
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I didn't know he could throw it up there that hard. I figured he always topped out at 93. If he can really throw it around 94 and 95, his changeup and cutter become that much more effective, and vice versa.

I think was letting it fly because he didn't really have to pace himself, knowing he was only going three innings. Still, he looked great.

soxinem1
03-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Well said. What Danks needs to do is establish a mound presence. With an effective arsenal, that will help.

Jenks4Prez
03-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Johnny will be a stud this year and many more to come... Do doubt about it. One of Kenny's best moves btw.

The Immigrant
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I didn't know he could throw it up there that hard.

Comcast's gun was a bit off.

cws05champ
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Johnny will be a stud this year and many more to come... Do doubt about it. One of Kenny's best moves btw.
I think if can develop the cutter further he can take the next step, but I wouldn't say stud yet. Now if he can develop a nasty change, then he may turn into a special pitcher. The cutter is good but it is still on par as far as speed as the 4 seam FB. A change along with a cutter and fastball/slider would make him much more efefctive.

jabrch
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Yikes!

I know the gun doesn't mean much - but if he is doing that with control, and a decent cutter, he's going to have a good year.

It's March 4 - and I am glad to see Danks looking good on March 4. I'm not going to piss and moan that I haven't seen him look good on June 4 until June 4 gets here.