PDA

View Full Version : Dead Ball

Paulwny
04-24-2002, 06:48 PM
According to the Tribe announcers, 2 nights ago, with a runner stealing 2nd, Alomar hit the umpire's foot with his throw and it was ruled a dead ball with the runner returning to 2nd.
The umpires have apologized to the tribe, it was not a dead ball, the umpire is part of the playing field.
I'm surprised they blew this call, umpires are often hit by batted balls and the ruling is "in play", not a dead ball.

Spiff
04-24-2002, 07:22 PM
Remember the time Jay Bell threw the ball right into the umpire's face...that was just gruesome.

Bucktown
04-24-2002, 07:51 PM
The Sox announcers seemed convinced that was the right call. I was surprised because I thought the umpire was part of the field of play.

SoxFanAaron
04-24-2002, 08:48 PM
The point Hawk and DJ were making was that the Ump in question was standing right in the way, in front of the 2nd baseman, shielding him from the ball. I don't think that he is supposed to be standing there. However, the ump is part of the field. His first mistake was standing in the way. The call to put the runner back on second was supposed to make up for that mistake on his part.

MisterB
04-24-2002, 09:46 PM
The umps were confusing two different rules on this play. There is a rule that says a batted ball hitting an ump is a dead ball if it hits him before an infielder can make a play (basically before the ball gets to an IFer, like if the ump's standing on the skin part of the IF). But the rule is a thrown ball that hits an ump is always in play.