PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone NEW RADIO ANALYST (Singleton gone)!!!!!

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 08:23 AM
From the Score, breaking news!

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
I hope this isn't a joke? They are saying Chris is going to TV, Baseball Tonight? Wow, win win for everyone!

SoxFan78
03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
I hope this isn't a joke? They are saying Chris is going to TV, Baseball Tonight? Wow, win win for everyone!

Win Lose situation. Win for the Sox, Lose for the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network. Awesome news, getting rid of Singleton a plus, getting Steve Stone, a triple plus!

Great news all around!

chaerulez
03-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Does this mean Stone's part time tv job with ESPN is done?

oeo
03-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Win Lose situation. Win for the Sox, Lose for the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network. Awesome news, getting rid of Singleton a plus, getting Steve Stone, a triple plus!

Great news all around!

Working on TV is not the same as calling a baseball game. Singleton may not be bad at that type of thing.

Even if he is, he fits right in with the rest of them.

Procol Harum
Fantastic news--Singleton was no great asset and the combo w/ Farmer has been snooze-o-rama. Stone will be a tremendous addition to Sox broadcasts and its overall marketing appeal--good move!
:bandance:

Noneck
If true, he should do PBP.

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Working on TV is not the same as calling a baseball game. Singleton may not be bad at that type of thing.

Even if he is, he fits right in with the rest of them.

Honestly, I thought he was getting better as analyst, I think the bigger problem was PBP, both him and Farmer are terrible at it. Farmer still remains, but I'm just happy at Stone coming in

bryPt
03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
This is so awesome, I am running around the office high fiving all the Sox fans! As a guy that rarely will watch the games, I am in heaven. Stoney and Farmio, could they be better than Farmio and Rooney????

cws05champ
03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
All I can say is....:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::ban dance:

skottyj242
03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Winning is fun.

Mr.1Dog
03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Great news!!:bandance: All we have to do now is figure out Farmer's replacement.

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I think I owe a big kiss to ESPN. Reminds me of that scene from Dumb and Dumber, "Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this...and totally redeem yourself!". Again, nothing personal to Chris, especially considering he started as a rookie, but who expects ESPN to offer him a TV deal? Really? Esp after spring and the broadcasts began

:) :) :)

doublem23
03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Singleton > Farmer

Hopefully Steve Stone will be able to keep a muzzle on Ed the way John Rooney was able to.

white sox bill
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Ah so that was the announcement was via Scores email..looks like I'll have to turn Hawk/DJ down and tune in Farms/Stoney while watching

soxwon
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Singleton was a nice guy, but Farmio was a jagbag to him constantly.
I wish Chris best of luck, and Stone is great.
Now lets get rid of Farmer, We need Dave Wills bad!!!

oeo
03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Great news!!:bandance: All we have to do now is figure out Farmer's replacement.

Is Dave Wills' contract up after this year?

moochpuppy
03-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Great news! I've always enjoyed listening to Steve Stone talk baseball. He knows his stuff and I think at some point would make a good baseball GM.

PopsBrechtel
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm soooo EXCITED :bandance:

Rockabilly
This is the best thing ESPN has ever done..

Welcome to the Sox Stoney!!!!

twsoxfan5
[quote=doublem23;1810888]Singleton > Farmer

False: Farmer is not a great play by play guy by any means, but Singleton was not better.

bryPt
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
yes, I should add that I did not dislike Singleton, I just think Stoney is the best baseball announcer in the game right now.

THIS JUST IN: FAVRE IS RETIRING.

IN ONE HOUR, My favorite all time team gets a kick butt announcer, my second favorite team loses a legend at QB. It is a rollercoaster ride for me today. WTH else is going to happen today?

spawn
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Although Singleton wasn't that good in the booth, I think being teamed with Framer stunted his growth. It will be better with Stone, but I wish nothing but the best for Singleton. He's a class act.

paciorek1983
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Whoohoo!

We now have a professional analyst in the booth!!:bandance:

I wonder why ESPN wanted Singleton. He doesn't have that crappy "broadcasting school voice" that adds extra syllables like Dan Shulman and the new guy who does the updates on ESPN radio.:?:

skottyj242
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Ah so that was the announcement was via Scores email..looks like I'll have to turn Hawk/DJ down and tune in Farms/Stoney while watching

You can't do that with Driect TV, it slows it down and you're almost a pitch behind. I do it when the Sox are on Fox or ESPN everytime but just can't stand it. :mad:

skottyj242
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
So will he still do Friday home games? :D:

Noneck
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
You can't do that with Driect TV, it slows it down and you're almost a pitch behind. I do it when the Sox are on Fox or ESPN everytime but just can't stand it. :mad:

Can't with comcrap either.

Save McCuddy's
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
At least we'll have one talking head on BB Tonight that'll have our backs.

Win win all the way around. Even Singleton might look good up against the talented Orestes Destrada.

PolishPower83
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Stoney and Farmio, could they be better than Farmio and Rooney????

I don't think you can get much better than Rooney. All my friends who are Cards fans noticed an instant improvement when he took over in the Lou. I still miss that dude.

Rockabilly
03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know if its just for this year or has Stone sign a long term contract

mandmandm
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM

I have not tried it but heard about this on the radio.

http://delayplay.com/index.htm

aryzner
03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Wow this is cool! Somehow it makes me itch for the season to start even more. :D:

MeteorsSox4367
03-04-2008, 09:20 AM
The only better news in the Sox broadcasting booth would have been that A.) Dave Wills was coming in to be the PBP guy and B.) Stone would be doing color on TV with Hawk.

As it is, no more listening to Singleton on the radio at work during day games and trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

An analyst who will actually offer honest-to-goodness baseball analysis without resorting to bad cliches? Awesome.

Now if the Hawks could just replace Dan Kelly, what a wonderful world this would be.

VenturaFan23
03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Wow, this is awesome news. Now if they find a replacement for Farmer, I'll be completely happy.

alohafri
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Is Dave Wills' contract up after this year?

I understand he is very happy in Tampa.

Fenway
03-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Hmmmm is there another shoe about to drop?

NY radio boards are reporting that Jerry Trupiano will replace newly hired Wayne Hagin on Mets radio as CBS is moving the newly hired Hagin to another MLB team.

soxfan21
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
This is great, but I kind of do wish Stoney was on t.v doing commentary with Hawk.

oeo
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I understand he is very happy in Tampa.

I can understand that. I can also understand how he could be happier coming back to Chicago. :dunno:

This is great, but I kind of do wish Stoney was on t.v doing commentary with Hawk.

That might be Hawk's decision to make. I think he's happy with DJ kissing his ass, though.

dwalteroo
03-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Awesome. Awesome-awesome. Listening to Steve Stone while watching a baseball game makes one a better fan. Steve is the man - GREAT NEWS!

Noneck
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM

NY radio boards are reporting that Jerry Trupiano will replace newly hired Wayne Hagin on Mets radio as CBS is moving the newly hired Hagin to another MLB team.

And this has what to do with the Sox hiring Stone?

chisox77
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
It's great news, no doubt.

But I do wish Singleton well. His new job with ESPN may be the chance he needs to develop.

Stone and Farmer, IMO, can be a vey good combination. Stone will have a good effect on Farmer, because both are former MLB pitchers and know many things about baseball. With Stone, Farmer may very well be capable of taking his game to a higher level. I think this will work out very well.

And of course, having Stone is excellent PR for the White Sox!

:cool:

jabrch
03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
That's awesome....I loved Stone when he was with the Cubs. He was great with the Score. This will be a great add to the broadcast team.

KnightSox
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know if its just for this year or has Stone sign a long term contractAccording to Stone, he is completing the final year of Singletons contract, and there is more talking to be done after this year. I personally hope that somehow this will lead Stone to the booth with Hawk.

Rockin Robin
03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
This is awesome news! It's really a win win for everybody involved. I liked Singleton as a guy, he always seemed like he really wanted to improve, and cared what people thought. I didn't want to see him get canned. So to open this and see he got a job like that...well then. Looks like I'll be taking more advantage of the gameday audio on Mlb.tv this season.

BRDSR
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Well, as the first season in 14 years that I will be living away from Chicago, I knew I was going to have to decide whether to pony up for the poor picture quality and expensive package of MLB.TV or just get the radio feeds for $15 and the whole season.

Looks like I'll just get the radio feeds. Anyone know if he's starting with today's broadcast?

October26
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Just heard the news! In my opinion this will improve the White Sox radio team tremendously. Singleton was a great guy, but as others have already stated, when he was doing play by play or color he was brutal. I never knew what was going on. I listen to every game on the radio and I am ecstatic that I'll get to listent to Steve Stone 162 times this year!

Welcome aboard, Stone Pony! :bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM

I think Fenway is speculating that it is possible Hagin could be on his way to the White Sox radio booth.

Getting Stone in the Sox radio booth = :bandance:

Getting Stone and Hagin in the Sox radio booth = :bandance::bandance:

paciorek1983
03-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I think Fenway is speculating that it is possible Hagin could be on his way to the White Sox radio booth.

Getting Stone in the Sox radio booth = :bandance:

Getting Stone and Hagin in the Sox radio booth = :bandance::bandance:

Maybe this is a possiblity? I thought I read somewhere on this board a few months ago that Bill Melton was not coming back on Comcast. Maybe Farmer to Comcast and Hagin to radio?

Steelrod
03-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Hawk is probably pleased that he's not!

kobo
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
First favre retires and now this? Awesome news! I knew this was going to be a good day as I was driving behind the Jaegermeister truck on my way to work.

Bump34
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Hawk is probably pleased that he's not!

From what I have been told you are correct!!!

Frater Perdurabo
03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
From what I have been told you are correct!!!

Any other inside news you can share? :D:

Bump34
03-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Any other inside news you can share? :D:

That's about it...

ode to veeck
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
The good news: the Sox finally have a decent baseball coverage guy on their media staff.

The bad news: he won't be on TV anytime soon and we'll continue to suffer under Hawk

paciorek1983
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
The good news: the Sox finally have a decent baseball coverage guy on their media staff.

The bad news: he won't be on TV anytime soon and we'll continue to suffer under Hawk

You'll continue to suffer under Hawk.:wink:

Fenway
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Maybe nothing and maybe everything.

Hagin is better known in the midwest. This smells like CBS told the White Sox this isn't working. Farmer would have trouble getting hired by a AAA team for play by play. Have him replace Melton at CSN if need be but get him out of the booth.

From a strictly broadcast entertainment point of view Cubs radio is a lot better product than the White Sox. Hughes is top notch and Santo is amusing in a Phil Rizzuto sort of way. Farmer turns off hard core White Sox fans more so than Hawk does.

Stone upgrages the radio by a million percent. Maybe it will be enough to offset Farmo.

DumpJerry
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
This is real bad. Stoney's broadcasting cost the Cubs their spot in the postseason in 2004.

Hitmen77
03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2008/03/steve-stone-on.html

...to work alongside the underrated Ed Farmer.:o:

KenBerryGrab
03-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Farmer: It might be just me, but you don't have to take your hats off and put your hand over your heart for "God Bless America."
Stone: And what does that have to do with the game, Ed?

paciorek1983
03-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Maybe nothing and maybe everything.

Hagin is better known in the midwest. This smells like CBS told the White Sox this isn't working. Farmer would have trouble getting hired by a AAA team for play by play. Have him replace Melton at CSN if need be but get him out of the booth.

From a strictly broadcast entertainment point of view Cubs radio is a lot better product than the White Sox. Hughes is top notch and Santo is amusing in a Phil Rizzuto sort of way. Farmer turns off hard core White Sox fans more so than Hawk does.

Stone upgrages the radio by a million percent. Maybe it will be enough to offset Farmo.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36830&stc=1&d=1204390766 hmm?:smile:

Our brains are the same...for a moment..heehee

kittle42
03-04-2008, 10:07 AM
This is real bad. Stoney's broadcasting cost the Cubs their spot in the postseason in 2004.

Awesome.

JUribe1989
03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
BEST NEWS SINCE THE WORLD SERIES

a little sad, but I'll take it!

Noneck
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
This is good news but lets not forget, Stone gets off the baseball track quite often also. If the Sox are in the hunt he will be outstanding but if they go south he'll be painful also. He is no Harry or Jimmy. Farmer and him will be clucking about the restaurants they go to and which one can outdo the other as being the biggest piker.

Lets just hope the Sox are in the hunt for a long time this year.

Dolanski
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Awesome. Simply. Awesome.

rdivaldi
03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Hughes is top notch and Santo is amusing in a Phil Rizzuto sort of way.

:thud:

Amusing? I can think of plenty of words to describe Santo in the booth, "amusing" is not one of them.

Fenway
03-04-2008, 10:28 AM
:thud:

Amusing? I can think of plenty of words to describe Santo in the booth, "amusing" is not one of them.

Hughes: Ball one

Santo: Look there are boats out in the lake, we don't have boats where I live in Arizona

Hughes: Ball two

Santo: Went to the dentist today.

rdivaldi
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM

Santo: Look there are boats out in the lake, we don't have boats where I live in Arizona

Ugh! Calling that amusing is akin to calling your senile grandparents amusing.

BRDSR
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM

One time, in the 9th inning of a 1-run game (don't remember if the Cubs were ahead or behind), I listened to Santo describe the pillow he slept on at the hotel they were staying at.

It wasn't even a very colorful description of the pillow.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Can Stone double as our GM too? :dunno:

Noneck
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Ugh! Calling that amusing is akin to calling your senile grandparents amusing.

Yeah, I think the amusement comes from knowing you will be doing the same thing soon or you are already doing it. It is called laughing at oneself.

Slats
03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Great news! He's got a good eye for the game.

The only other problem they need to fix is -

Dear White Sox radio programmers

Why do you force us to listen to the same commercial throughout the game. Every break, between innings, the same freaking commercial. Over and freaking over. Is it really that hard to vary things up a bit? :scratch:

Fenway
03-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Can we make Ed's head any smaller?

http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/200803/2129470.jpg

Here is a link to Stone on the Hot Dog vendor's show

http://www.670thescore.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=1575797

hi im skot
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM

http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/200803/2129470.jpg

Here is a link to Stone on the Hot Dog vendor's show

http://www.670thescore.com/episode_download.php?

contentType=36&contentId=1575797

The picture of the ballpark looks to be from about 1994.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
The picture of the ballpark looks to be from about 1994.

Yeah really, the old stadium photo is pretty dumb. It also looks like it was made by someone in a 7th grade intro to Photoshop class.

Gotta love the love our flagship station gives us!

Fenway
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah really, the old stadium photo is pretty dumb. It also looks like it was made by someone in a 7th grade intro to Photoshop class.

Gotta love the love our flagship station gives us!

Complete with thousands of empty seats

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Nevermind thousands, it looks like ten of thousands. That photo looks like a April afternoon game in 1995.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
With no personal disrespect intended towards Chris Singleton, this makes the Sox radio broadcasts a lot better and easier to listen to.

Congrats to the Sox for being able to come to terms with Steve on this.

Lip

Taliesinrk
03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Although Singleton wasn't that good in the boot, I think being teamed with Framer stunted his growth. It will be betterwith Stone, but I wish nothing but the best for Singleton. He's a class act.

My sentiments exactly. Best of luck to CS - always seemed like a really nice guy and stand-up person. Hopefully he can straighten those at ESPN out. But, boy am I pumped about Stoney. Hopefully every game's like Juan's last year when he made the call.

Also, speaking of ESPN, did anyone catch the (I think it was ESPN) article this week about one of the Steinbrenner boys saying something along the lines of the fact that ESPN was filled with Red Sox fans?

BainesHOF
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm not a big fan of Stone. He talks way too much during a broadcast, half the time stating the obvious, in a monotone drone. That said, he'll definitely keep Farmer in check. Will the booth be big enough to hold both their big egos?

Good luck to Singleton. He's a good guy who is still improving, and would have been even better if Farmer didn't constantly jag him. He'll always be a member of the Sox.

ode to veeck
03-04-2008, 11:16 AM
You'll continue to suffer under Hawk.:wink:

When he really gets bad, I just turn off the sound, and with DirecTV season ticket I get the opposing team broadcasters about half the time

VenturaFan23
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM

What would be better is if Ed's head wasn't even there

KenBerryGrab
03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Also, speaking of ESPN, did anyone catch the (I think it was ESPN) article this week about one of the Steinbrenner boys saying something along the lines of the fact that ESPN was filled with Red Sox fans?

This is no secret to those of us who endured Berman's slobbering (and nearly crying) when our boys swept the Red Sox in the ALDS. Going on and on about all the gravesites visited, the oldsters who finally saw a title, you'd have to say the Red Sox were tired to get swept like this, blah yah blah.

Hey, pal, we have grandparents too.

goon
03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Good luck to Singleton, I'm actually kind of interested to see how he does on Baseball Tonight. He's already better than Kruk, Vina, Destrade or any of the other fools they have employed as "analysts".

Uncle_Patrick
03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
This is good news. Best of luck to Chris. I think he improved greatly since he began, but we're better off with Stone.

Just told a Cubs-fan (non-Sox hating variety) friend of mine at work. He says that he'll be listening to more Sox games now.

Frontman
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Awesome. Just awesome. Good luck Chris (as I always like Singelton, but man, he was in over his head) and Stoney and Farmio?

Two pitchers. It will be interesting to listen to, that's for certain.

PaleHoser
03-04-2008, 11:23 AM

If Hagin's strictly play-by-play I wouldn't mind him coming back.

The one thing that drove me nuts about him when he was paired with John Rooney was that he came across as Mr. Know-It-All when doing color/analysis.

btrain929
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Well, as the first season in 14 years that I will be living away from Chicago, I knew I was going to have to decide whether to pony up for the poor picture quality and expensive package of MLB.TV or just get the radio feeds for $15 and the whole season.

Looks like I'll just get the radio feeds. Anyone know if he's starting with today's broadcast?

Is the Sox game on WSCR today?

Frontman
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM

I think Friday is the next one slated on the Whitesox site.

BRDSR
03-04-2008, 11:39 AM

Yeah, it's not. The game is available on GamedayAudio but it must be the Angels' broadcast.

soxinem1
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow, seems like KW's philosophy is the same on the field as it is in the booth: he prefers veterans to one and two year broadcasters.

Steve Rosenbloom refers to Farmio as 'under-rated' in his blog today. Too funny...

hi im skot
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, seems like KW's philosophy is the same on the field as it is in the booth: he prefers veterans to one and two year broadcasters.

Steve Rosenbloom refers to Farmio as 'under-rated' in his blog today. Too funny...

I don't think KW has any say on who's on the air...

I like Singleton, but Stone is lightyears ahead of him.

CashMan
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm not a big fan of Stone. He talks way too much during a broadcast, half the time stating the obvious, in a monotone drone. That said, he'll definitely keep Farmer in check. Will the booth be big enough to hold both their big egos?

Good luck to Singleton. He's a good guy who is still improving, and would have been even better if Farmer didn't constantly jag him. He'll always be a member of the Sox.

You don't have to like Stone, he is awesome.

DumpJerry
03-04-2008, 11:53 AM
The Sox do not control who is in the booth, that is the determination of The Score's corporate parent.

thomas35forever
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes! I love this! Not quite a Rooney-Farmer reunion, but it'll be nice to have someone decent back in the radio booth.

LITTLE NELL
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Actually the Sox if not for the strike would have drawn close to 3 mil in 1994.

LoveYourSuit
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
What occupation is Singleton getting at ESPN?

Stoney will be music to my ears for 162 games.

It's Time
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
What occupation is Singleton getting at ESPN?

Stoney will be music to my ears for 162 games.

Cubs fans must being doing a slow burn.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
We should personally write to the Hawk and convince him to allow Stone to replace DJ, sending DJ to the radio booth with Farmer.

Stone is gonna outshine Farmer in every way to the point where Ed may consider resigning. If Farmer becomes humble and lets Stone lead like Summerall to Madden, it's gonna help his career a whole lot.

So now maybe we should act as if Stoney has been a White Sock and only a White Sock his whole career, the way that other team acted as if Harry Caray was born a flub and died a flub, even though Harry worked for flub rivals more than the flubs themselves.

How ironic is it that Stone would make a career decision like Harry Caray in that he is joining an organization that is a rival of his previous employer where he made his bones. Just like with Caray, Stone left that other team because of controversy with management. Steve's lingering animosity with his former employer is definitely a factor in his signing with us, much like the way Harry wanted to stick it to JR when he jumped ship in 1981. Steve was very mistreated in 2004 and now he has a chance to do the same thing Harry did a generation ago. Hopefully when all is said and done, the White Sox will be known for intelligent baseball broadcasting and the good ole' Black and White will be part of Steve Stone's identity.

btrain929
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
We should personally write to the Hawk and convince him to allow Stone to replace DJ, sending DJ to the radio booth with Farmer.

Stone is gonna outshine Farmer in every way to the point where Ed may consider resigning. If Farmer becomes humble and lets Stone lead like Summerall to Madden, it's gonna help his career a whole lot.

So now maybe we should act as if Stoney has been a White Sock and only a White Sock his whole career, the way that other team acted as if Harry Caray was born a flub and died a flub, even though Harry worked for flub rivals more than the flubs themselves.

How ironic is it that Stone would make a career decision like Harry Caray in that he is joining an organization that is a rival of his previous employer where he made his bones. Just like with Caray, Stone left that other team because of controversy with management. Steve's lingering animosity with his former employer is definitely a factor in his signing with us, much like the way Harry wanted to stick it to JR when he jumped ship in 1981. Steve was very mistreated in 2004 and now he has a chance to do the same thing Harry did a generation ago. Hopefully when all is said and done, the White Sox will be known for intelligent baseball broadcasting and the good ole' Black and White will be part of Steve Stone's identity.

What the **** are you talking about?

Hendu
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
This is great news. It's going to make listening to Sox games on the radio fun again.

:bandance::bandance:

spongyfungy
03-04-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't think KW has any say on who's on the air...

I like Singleton, but Stone is lightyears ahead of him.

well it seems like all you need to be is an ex-CF for the white sox. Carl Everett???

good luck to Chris. I'm happy he got the ESPN gig. He just did not have the voice for radio pbp/commentary. Hawk badly wants Stone in his booth but he's stuck with DJ for now

downstairs
03-04-2008, 12:49 PM
What the **** are you talking about?

I don't know, it made sense to me.

Harry quit the Sox and moved to the Cubs because the Sox management were nimrods.

Steve is now essentially doing the same in reverse.

I find it interesting as well.

soxrme
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
We got rid of the wrong guy.

CashMan
03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't know, it made sense to me.

Harry quit the Sox and moved to the Cubs because the Sox management were nimrods.

Steve is now essentially doing the same in reverse.

I find it interesting as well.

I think Stoney, has bigger plans, as to get into an owners group to buy an MLB franchise.

Boondock Saint
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I am SO stoked about this. I can't even count the number of bad Sox games that I had to listen to last season where Farmer and Singleton put me to sleep. They just didn't do it for me. Stone, on the other hand, was awesome when he was in the booth with Hawk. Can't wait.

kaufsox
03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Stoney and Farmio, could they be better than Farmio and Rooney????

no. Farmer is just brutal as PBP and Stone is at his best doing straight analysis. This is a step up, but they need a professional broadcaster, like Rooney, to be something extraordinary. This team is above average, but still not as good as it could be.

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
It seems like we have a ton of analysts, I am fine with what we have, but ideally, I think we need two PlayByPlay guys. Hawk and Stone can be analysts on the different mediums, or we can do 3 man booths or revolving crews, hell throw in some Robin or Jack McDowell too ;) I think the Yankees are always revolving guys next to their PBP guy on TV. I don't like the way the Mariners do it (if you start a game somewhere, stick with it).

I love Dave Wills, I loved his work with the Sox, and if I have gameday audio, will listen to some of his Tampa Bay calls, him teamed with either guy would be good with me

I'm not big on Stone as PBP, but what I liked from that experiment is that I liked how Hawk sounded just relaxed, possibly drunk, in a happy mood, playing analyst. If that earlier information is true, about Hawk trying to keep Stone out of TV, along with the 'he got Wimpy fired' rumors, then he sounds like a dbag...

kevingrt
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Holy crap greatest news so far this year. I am so excited for baseball season to begin.

And you know what congrats to Chris for moving on out east. He'll be better in the studio anyways. I was never a big enemy of him but Stoney is an improvement.

SoxOnTop
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Love the addition. Whetever Singleton could have been was severly hampered by being teamed up with Farmio.

Too bad WSCR was too cheap to pony up to keep Rooney. :gah:

BRDSR
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I think Friday is the next one slated on the Whitesox site.

Just checked out Reifert's blog (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/), it does confirm that the two should be making their first appearance together on Friday.

hdog1017
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Steve Stone = good at broadcasting

Chris Singelton = bad at broadcasting

captainclutch24
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM

You do know we are the Chicago White SOX right?

turners56
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Sweet, Steve Stone is one wise dude...Singleton is lolz...as in he was bad. Good try, Chris, maybe you shouldn't of retired so soon.

CubKilla
03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Great pick-up by the Sox especially since I'm usually working when the Sox play and have to hear the games on the radio. Farmer/Stone is much more appealing to me.

TheVulture
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
This team is above average, but still not as good as it could be.

No team with Farmer as PBP man can be considered above average. The guys is brutal, as you say. Half the time I have no clue what's going on when I listen to the radio broadcast.

Noneck
03-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Stone and Farmer will will be able to reminisce about a period of Sox history that an old coot like me will enjoy. I guess the best combo is an oldie like Stone or Farmer with a player from an era after theirs. ( like Jackson, Singleton, McDowell, Ventura, etc.)

The worse case to me is listening to someone reminisce about his playing days, players on that team and history of a team I disliked then and dislike now even more. Thank god for my Tv remote mute button.

The Dude
03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
GREAT NEWS! :bandance::bandance::bandance:
Now we just need Farmer gone and we are in business.

Foulke You
03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I guess I seem to fall into a minority on this board now but I happen to like Ed Farmer. I enjoy his baseball stories, his take on pitching, as well as his dry humor. However, I do agree that his abilities are better suited to color commentary and not play by play. The reason Rooney and Farmer were such a good team was that Rooney did most of the PBP while Farmer was able to just do color.

I think Farmer and Stone could be a very good duo. You have to remember that Farmer became worse because he lost Rooney and also because Singleton was God awful in the booth. Stone should raise Farmer's game like Rooney did and hopefully provide better chemistry than Singleton and Farmer had.

The Dude
03-04-2008, 04:13 PM

:dunno:

Hey, great news eh? :gulp:

gobears1987
03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
I am so glad to hear this news.

Viva Medias B's
03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Love the addition. Whetever Singleton could have been was severly hampered by being teamed up with Farmio.

Too bad WSCR was too cheap to pony up to keep Rooney. :gah:

Rooney wanted to take the job in St. Louis, and he would have gone there no matter what WSCR did.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 04:23 PM
You do know we are the Chicago White SOX right?

sock is singular for sox

Jjav829
03-04-2008, 04:25 PM
That is great! I don't listen to many games on the radio, but at least from now on when I do, I'll be able to hear a halfway decent broadcast. :bandance:

Andy T Clown
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
sock is singular for sox

Reminds me of Chip Carrey talking about the White Sock offence and the White Sock defence.

kingpin_rcs
03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Great news! I've always enjoyed listening to Steve Stone talk baseball. He knows his stuff and I think at some point would make a good baseball GM.

Baseball announcers have a great history of becoming effective GMs.

whitem0nkey
03-04-2008, 04:36 PM
hopefully this will be more than just a 1 year thing.

gobears1987
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Baseball announcers have a great history of becoming effective GMs.:hawk

Where's he gonna play?

Cuck the Fubs
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
This is EXCELLENT news!:bandance:

Now if we could only get rid of Farmer.....:scratch:

BRDSR
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
:hawk

Where's he gonna play?

You know, there was a period of time when that joke was used too often and it was not funny.

You sir, nailed it. Good work.

TornLabrum
03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
If they give Singleton a job of doing interviews, he'll be terrific. (See my post on that subject in the appreciation thread, or take a gander at what I had to say a couple of other times in the past few weeks.)

I can say this much. The Sox radio booth just improved by at least 50%.

tick53
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
How about sticking DJ in the radio booth with Farmio and let Hawk and Stoney do the TV cast? I hardly listen to the Sox on radio. I dunno :scratch:should we really torture Farmer that way?

Lip Man 1
03-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Dump Jerry says: "The Sox do not control who is in the booth, that is the determination of The Score's corporate parent."
-----

Actually Dump this is not true. I have finally confirmed this from just about the highest source you can get on these matters. Said person is the next WSI Interview, which PHG has and will release at the appropriate time. Considering everything that took place today, it may be moved up for release by him.

Lip

krispoulin
03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
How about sticking DJ in the radio booth with Farmio and let Hawk and Stoney do the TV cast? I hardly listen to the Sox on radio. I dunno :scratch:should we really torture Farmer that way?

Oh man, you'd be torturing me, too! I listen to games on the radio almost exclusively, even when I'm watching on TV. There's just something about the way a game is called on radio vs. the way it's called on TV that I like. Call me old-fashioned...

kba
03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Does anybody know the financials on this deal? I always had the impression that Singleton's salary was at the bottom of the range for big league radio guys. Stone - with his name recognition and network experience - certainly could command top-tier pay. Has CBS suddenly decided to spend some serious money on the Sox broadcasts, or is Reinsdorf making up the difference?

Brian26
03-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Dump Jerry says: "The Sox do not control who is in the booth, that is the determination of The Score's corporate parent."
-----

Actually Dump this is not true. I have finally confirmed this from just about the highest source you can get on these matters. Said person is the next WSI Interview, which PHG has and will release at the appropriate time. Considering everything that took place today, it may be moved up for release by him.

Lip

Which is what I always suspected. The Sox used it as an excuse when Rooney left, but ultimately a major league team has to have final say as to who is in the radio booth since said person is part of the marketing of the franchise. It's insane to think the radio station would have final say.

Brian26
03-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Post of the month.

:rolling:

Brian26
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, it's not. The game is available on GamedayAudio but it must be the Angels' broadcast.

It was an Angels broadcast with Rex Hudler as the color man, who is the biggest tool in the history of broadcasting. More on that in Talking Baseball...

SoxandtheCityTee
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Does anybody know the financials on this deal? I always had the impression that Singleton's salary was at the bottom of the range for big league radio guys. Stone - with his name recognition and network experience - certainly could command top-tier pay. Has CBS suddenly decided to spend some serious money on the Sox broadcasts, or is Reinsdorf making up the difference?

I wondered about that too. Stone says he is only committed for the last year of Singleton's contract and that "everything is on the table" after that. The deal was done "whirlwind" style this past weekend. Presumably that is because ESPN just recently made the offer to Chris.

So maybe Stone took something more than Chris made but less than Stone could command, with both sides viewing it as a "we'll see." Stone may not be sure he really wants back into the booth long-term; Sox may be thinking about TV as well as radio, etc.

Fenway
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Which is what I always suspected. The Sox used it as an excuse when Rooney left, but ultimately a major league team has to have final say as to who is in the radio booth since said person is part of the marketing of the franchise. It's insane to think the radio station would have final say.

If the White Sox are buying time that is one thing.

When WSCR/CBS is paying the White Sox for rights....you better believe they have some clout.

White Sox may have the right of last refusal of who is in the booth.

Let's be honest here. WSCR is worried about another bad season and WGN doing well with the Cubs. The casual fan will tilt tothe winner.

Brian26
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Rooney wanted to take the job in St. Louis, and he would have gone there no matter what WSCR did.

I'm sure his decision was made a lot easier by the slap-in-the-face offer that WSCR made him.

Brian26
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Baseball announcers have a great history of becoming effective GMs.

I don't know, I liked his arm-wringing of Kenny to bring Pierzynski here.

:shrug:

IlliniSox4Life
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Hopefully this will turn out to be a great opportunity for Singleton. He had a tough job coming in after Rooney, and just wasn't the same. I still like him though, he seems like a good guy. Hopefully he has a lot of success with ESPN.

Stone is just an exceptional baseball mind. I love listening to him. This is awesome.

26th & Princeton
03-04-2008, 07:36 PM

Yep. CUBS (C)rying (U)neccessary (B)out (S)toney..........

WhiteSox Brad
03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
There is a God! Has Hal weighed in yet? He'll need to re-write his post from this last Sunday or maybe he doesn't like Stoney. Hal?

tstrike2000
03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Singleton's a great guy, just not a great broadcaster, but I wish him the best. Stone will be an obvious asset for the Sox on the radio. Too bad though he won't be on TV to fill in for Hawk when he leaves for three innings to release his prunes.

ebit
03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
From the trib.com:

"Heíll start with the Sox game on Friday in Tucson, but thatís the only exhibition game heíll work."

slavko
03-04-2008, 11:41 PM
I have to give Stone some credit for not pushing it until the job was open. I look forward to great analysis and won't look for "warts" in the form of a slightly irritating delivery. Focus on what's important. Good luck to Chris, a good guy. As long as I'm being benevolent, some credit to the people who hire broadcasters for sticking with Chris when they knew Stone was available.

Jerome
03-05-2008, 01:58 AM
So the radio booth now has Steve Stone full time? This is amazing news that will make my summer so my more enjoyable.

Jjav829
03-05-2008, 06:56 AM
CLR, you ok? You at a lack of words in this time of mourning? :?:

Bucky F. Dent
03-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I am thrilled to see Stone in and Singleton out!!!!

:)

Viva Medias B's
03-05-2008, 07:10 AM
The articles say Stone will work 150 games. Where will he be for the other 12?

The Immigrant
03-05-2008, 07:38 AM
The articles say Stone will work 150 games. Where will he be for the other 12?

TV. He's under contract for a few weekend games next season.

ode to veeck
03-05-2008, 08:29 AM
TV. He's under contract for a few weekend games next season.

Maybe Hawk will call in sick thsoe days

PatK
03-05-2008, 09:22 AM

Every Cubs fan I know is FUMING over the news. It's funny seeing how some of them are turning on him.

Carolina Kenny
03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
I just don't see this "partnership" lasting very long. I think Stone would rather get back on TV.

I also see professional differences between these two as these former pitchers that both have strong personalities.

I hope it results in creative friction which at least will be fun to listen to.

Cessna
03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I hope this isn't the best pitcher the Sox sign this year:smile:

SoxWillWin
03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I just don't see this "partnership" lasting very long. I think Stone would rather get back on TV.

I also see professional differences between these two as these former pitchers that both have strong personalities.

I hope it results in creative friction which at least will be fun to listen to.

I think you give Farmers personality a bit too much Credit, and Stone played second fiddle to the biggest personality of them all for many years I think he can handle Ed Farmer

harwar
03-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Ed Farmer and Steve Stone have two of the bigger egos going around.I hope there is no problem.Stone might be the best color analyst in the game,he knows it and is supremely confident.Farmer might be slightly insecure.
Stone sure has a lot of experience working with a wacked-out PBP guy.I guess we'll have to wait and see if he's ready to do that again.
Also,although i stopped watching baseball tonight like two years ago,i think that Chris Singleton will do well at his new job as he likes to have fun and he just loves to talk.

sox1970
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Chris Singleton will do well at his new job as he likes to have fun and he just loves to talk.

...and talk...and talk....and talk.

pinotgrigio
03-07-2008, 04:08 PM
This is/was great news.

I am so happy for Stoney.

Chris was okay, but kind of bland. I am listening to the broadcast right now , and they already sound good together.

I don't mind Farmer, but Stone will keep him in check . Wait and see...

KenBerryGrab
03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
They sounded good together today on a real dog afternoon.

Viva Medias B's
03-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I did not hear the game b/c of work, but my dad listened and he thought that Farmer seemed "insecure" with Stone's presence in the booth.

Lip Man 1
03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Teddy Greenstein has a column out now at the Tribune web site where he says Farmer is the problem and it's his job that's on the line.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080307-steve-stone-ed-farmer,1,2692890.column

Lip

Frontman
03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I did not hear the game b/c of work, but my dad listened and he thought that Farmer seemed "insecure" with Stone's presence in the booth.

Well, he didn't sound at his best; but neither did Stoney.

That was a brutal game to call and make interesting.

Brian26
03-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Teddy Greenstein has a column out now at the Tribune web site where he says Farmer is the problem and it's his job that's on the line.

Lip

I'm listening to the archive on Gameday Audio right now. Through the 2nd inning, the broadcast is already a hundred times better than it was with Singleton.

Fenway
03-07-2008, 10:50 PM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080307-steve-stone-ed-farmer,1,2692890.column

Lip

Farmer is the WORST lead play by play man I have ever heard in MLB.

Phil Rizzuto was 1000 times better.

Martinigirl
03-07-2008, 11:01 PM

Lip

I have always thought Farmer was the problem and he went out of his way to be a jerk to Singleton. I can only hope that someone finally tells him to shut up and let someone else speak, because, honestly, I don't find what Farmer has to say remotely relevant or interesting 95% of the time

Brian26
03-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Lip

Coincidentally, I just heard the Farmer-Stone exchange that Greenstein refers to in his column. It happens at 1 hr and 06 minutes into the broadcast on Gameday. Farmer can't help but interrupt him.

Brian26
03-07-2008, 11:03 PM

Worse than Mike Shannon? I'd still say Shannon is the worst.

Fenway
03-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Shannon doesn't put you to sleep..he at least gets excited

DoItForDanPasqua
03-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Phil Rizzuto was 1000 times better.

I agree, and the sad part is that there is a large supply of professionally trained minor league broadcasters that would give their right arm for a big league job. Any of them would be an improvement.

Fenway
03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I agree, and the sad part is that there is a large supply of professionally trained minor league broadcasters that would give their right arm for a big league job. Any of them would be an improvement.

Just Pawtucket alone has sent these announcers to MLB
Gary Cohen Mets
Don Orsillo Red Sox
Dave Flemming Giants
Andy Freed Tampa Bay
Dave Jageler Washington

Farmer could not get hired in Pawtucket

Dan Hoard the current announcer left his TV job at FOX Cincinnati to take the Pawtucket job. He still calls Bearcats hoops and football on WLW

cards press box
03-07-2008, 11:33 PM

No, Farmer is worse at play-by-play than Shannon. Farmer was fine doing analysis and added a genuine South Side presence to the broadcast but he just doesn't do play-by-play well.

If the Sox can somehow bring Dave Wills back next year and team him up with Stone on the radio, then the Sox will have a great radio team -- one of the very best we have ever had.

Viva Medias B's
03-08-2008, 09:27 AM
No, Farmer is worse at play-by-play than Shannon. Farmer was fine doing analysis and added a genuine South Side presence to the broadcast but he just doesn't do play-by-play well.

If the Sox can somehow bring Dave Wills back next year and team him up with Stone on the radio, then the Sox will have a great radio team -- one of the very best we have ever had.

I think Farmer still has this season and the next two on his contract. Stone would have to be re-signed because his contract is for this year only. And would Wills be available to pull from Tampa?

soxfan1965
03-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I have always thought Farmer was the problem and he went out of his way to be a jerk to Singleton. I can only hope that someone finally tells him to shut up and let someone else speak, because, honestly, I don't find what Farmer has to say remotely relevant or interesting 95% of the time
I totally agree. Great article by Greenstein. Farmer had no right to disrespect Singleton, he should have returned the favor to Singleton that John Rooney gave to him, mentoring Farmer. It's a pet peeve when a broadcaster asks a question and thinks more about the next question than listening to the answer. But Farmer does this and goes further with Stone but cutting him off. Farmer should realize that he is probably not very marketable outside of Chicago, he has no basis for being arrogant or a bad listener/interrupter. Let's see how Farmer improves over the season, hopefully he will.

Fenway
03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I totally agree. Great article by Greenstein. Farmer had no right to disrespect Singleton, he should have returned the favor to Singleton that John Rooney gave to him, mentoring Farmer. It's a pet peeve when a broadcaster asks a question and thinks more about the next question than listening to the answer. But Farmer does this and goes further with Stone but cutting him off. Farmer should realize that he is probably not very marketable outside of Chicago, he has no basis for being arrogant or a bad listener/interrupter. Let's see how Farmer improves over the season, hopefully he will.

I think Brooks is very aware at how bad Farmer is on play by play but his hands are tied....for now.

Still Farmer is considered to be a face of the White Sox as proven by how visible he was at SoxFest. Wills maybe an option down the road but where does Farmo go? Can you imagine him moving to TV with Hawk? You would have more golf commentary than heard on The Masters.

My best guess is Stone is being paid by WSCR and not the Sox as a compromise for 2008. The White Sox may have the final say but CBS is still paying the rights fees. Down the road if the ratings tank the Sox may have to buy the time on a station and sell the ads themselves. JR has learned that can be tough as the Bulls are a hard sell right now. The Yankees are the only team that does well selling radio time themselves as they pay WCBS For the airtime. The Yankees actually pay less now for the time than ever before as WABC tried to get them back. What the stations are doing is buying a preset on millions of car radios so they offer the Yankees a sweetheat deal. The Red Sox considered doing the same but WRKO and WEEI offered $16 million a year for 10 seasons. That deal is killing both stations as there is no way to get that money back in this economic climate.

johnr1note
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Farmer is by far the worst play by play announcer I have ever heard, and I regularly listen around to a lot of other radio booths via XM. Just the other day, when the Sox played a ST game vs Kansas City, I listened to their radio team, and its far superior to ours. Well, at least before Stone was in the booth.

I heard part of the game on Friday. Stone added more insightful analysis to the three or so innings I listened than Farmer and Singleton combined in three weeks. It was like a breath of fresh air.

As for Farmer, he was obviously on the defensive, and appeared uncomfortable. Ed has an opportunity here. Ed was effective as a color commentator to Rooney's play by play because he offered a uniquely White Sox perspective to his analysis, and he offered a lot of useful information about the view from a pitcher. With Stone, he appeared to be in a "one up" position, trying to impress his listeners by proving he knows as much about baseball as Stone does. If Ed can swallow his pride and allow Steve to do what he does best, Ed might be able to improve his play by play. The problem is, Ed can't stand to not hear himself talk. The reason you have two announcers is for give and take. Ed got used to being overpoweringly in charge. It was bad radio, but Farmer, with his ego and all, believes his constant patter is what listeners long for. If only he would wise up and be a partner to Steve. We can only hope.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Fenway:

All your "guesses" will be answered when the next WSI interview is released by PHG.

Lip

Fenway
03-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Fenway:

All your "guesses" will be answered when the next WSI interview is released by PHG.

Lip

Lip

Looking forward to it. Every team has a different system. The Yankees announcers including radio are paid by YES which the Yankees own. Boston radio has always been paid by the station. Curt Gowdy was forced to be Ringmaster on Bozo during the winter. In the summer hockey announcer Fred Cusick and basketball announcer Johnny Most would do the same.

Ken Coleman was once how things have changed. In 1967 he was the highest paid person on the team plane. When he retired he was one of the lowest.

KenBerryGrab
03-08-2008, 02:00 PM
DeLuca is kinder, and having actually heard the broadcast and liked it, I tend to agree with him:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/832437,stone030808.article

TornLabrum
03-08-2008, 09:23 PM

Lip

Teddy's been reading my column again, eh? :redneck

kba
03-09-2008, 01:15 AM
What the stations are doing is buying a preset on millions of car radios so they offer the Yankees a sweetheat deal. The Red Sox considered doing the same but WRKO and WEEI offered $16 million a year for 10 seasons. That deal is killing both stations as there is no way to get that money back in this economic climate.

I think the era of stations shelling out big rights fees is coming to an end. Radio broadcasters are bleeding red ink, overall listening is down, and the idea of "buying presets" hasn't worked in Boston, Seattle, and other places where stations have shelled out huge fees for baseball rights.

By 2011, when the Sox contract with WSCR comes up for renewal, we may be seeing some new kinds of partnerships between stations and teams. There's talk in the industry now of stations paying much lower rights fees, but sharing ad revenue with the teams.

SoxandtheCityTee
03-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Teddy's been reading my column again, eh? :redneck

I am not a Farmio hater, but I am very disappointed in him. Singleton was gracious and thanked Ed publicly. Ed can't say something nice and wish Chris well? If he has, I haven't seen or heard about it.

Farmer thinks he can be pissy whenever management picks someone to work with him? That's something most ordinary folks have to live with on a regular basis. We all manage to be civil, or pay the price. I know Ed's aging and has this second-lease-on-life (because of the kidney) stubborness piled on top of the usual huge ego. But he'd better wise up. Stone is no rookie.

packerfever62
03-16-2008, 10:44 AM
This now makes the Whitesox broadcast team by far the strongest and most intelligent in all of baseball, possibly all of sports. Ed Famer has an extremely underrated voice and is very well versed in the team. Steve Stone is a freakin baseball proffessor he knows everything asobut the team, and he also has an entertaining voice. Singleton, I'm sorry but you sucked. You're a nice a guy and I enjoyed you as a player but this aint your cup of tea. THANK YOU WHITESOX AND THANKYOU 670 THE SCORE

Frontman
03-16-2008, 10:55 AM
This now makes the Whitesox broadcast team by far the strongest and most intelligent in all of baseball, possibly all of sports. Ed Famer has an extremely underrated voice and is very well versed in the team. Steve Stone is a freakin baseball proffessor he knows everything asobut the team, and he also has an entertaining voice. Singleton, I'm sorry but you sucked. You're a nice a guy and I enjoyed you as a player but this aint your cup of tea. THANK YOU WHITESOX AND THANKYOU 670 THE SCORE

1: Welcome to the site!:welcome:

2: I would say it improved the broadcast, but the strongest in baseball? I can think of at least three play by play men I'd rather have than Farmio, and I like Ed. But he isn't the greatest in the PBP department. The intelligence quota went up, that's for certain, but honestly a Singelton/Stone broadcast team would even be smarter than a Farmio/Stoney broadcast.

Just my opinion.

TornLabrum
03-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I just finished writing about this in my column. I started by saying the broadcast quality just went up by 50% and that I can only hope that Stone helps boost the quality of Farmer's work.

Something needs to be done to improve his PBP. I still think Dave Wills would be infinitely better at it that Farmio.

slavko
03-16-2008, 11:30 AM
In a blur of station changing the other day I did catch Chet Coppock, who qualifies as an expert on the subject, say that they would be at each other's throats by early May. (Gee, Wills and Steve would be great together.)

Fenway
03-16-2008, 11:32 AM

2: I would say it improved the broadcast, but the strongest in baseball? I can think of at least three play by play men I'd rather have than Farmio, and I like Ed. But he isn't the greatest in the PBP department. The intelligence quota went up, that's for certain, but honestly a Singelton/Stone broadcast team would even be smarter than a Farmio/Stoney broadcast.

Just my opinion.

The White Sox maybe the only team without a single trained broadcaster on either radio-TV as you have 4 ex-players.

Very few ex-players do play by play well the best being Mr. Baseball in Milwaukee. But Bob has a natural talent to perform as not many people could blow Johnny Carson away with laughter.Drysdale was also good but he had a great teacher in Scully.

Jerry Coleman was brutal but beloved in San Diego but who trained him? Rizzuto. Richie Ashburn was beloved in Philly but was surrounded by great broadcasters. Hawk was best when he worked with Dick Stockton and Ned Martin.

I hope this works but I don't know if Farmer's ego can take being #2 to Stone because that is the reality.

Frontman
03-16-2008, 11:35 AM
In a blur of station changing the other day I did catch Chet Coppock, who qualifies as an expert on the subject, say that they would be at each other's throats by early May. (Gee, Wills and Steve would be great together.)

Coppock would know about getting people to go at each other's throats. Lord only knows how many co-workers over the decades wanted to choke him out.

Frankfan4life
03-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Just my opinion.And mine, too! :smile:

I would also add that I hope Hawk retires after this season. His routine has grown so tired that I'm dreading listening to him this year so I'll probably listen to the radio feed more often.