PDA

View Full Version : Paulie!

PolishPower83
03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I know I'm not going out on a thin limb here, but Konerko is primed for a HUGE year. In a spring full of questions about who's going to play 3B and 2B, Konerko is quietly killing the ball (.636 with 5 RBIs). I loved his recent comments about being more of a vocal leader, also. He said he dropped the ball last year when the Sox needed someone to rally the troops. In an era of unaccountability, you've got to love it when a leader can swallow his pride and shoulder some blame. There's no way he's hitting .259 again! He'll be around .300 and he'll get back to 40 homers, 110 RBI.

guillen4life13
03-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I hope for this type of year from Paul, but i'll expect closer to .280/.880 with 30HR 95RBI. Still a good year.

kittle42
03-03-2008, 07:45 PM
People, it's still one week in.

PolishPower83
03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
People, it's still one week in.

I know, I'm just making a prediction. Any momentum Paulie and the rest of our hitters can have heading into a tough first month of the schedule is a good thing.

OldStyle and SOX
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I know I'm not going out on a thin limb here, but Konerko is primed for a HUGE year. In a spring full of questions about who's going to play 3B and 2B, Konerko is quietly killing the ball (.636 with 5 RBIs). I loved his recent comments about being more of a vocal leader, also. He said he dropped the ball last year when the Sox needed someone to rally the troops. In an era of unaccountability, you've got to love it when a leader can swallow his pride and shoulder some blame. There's no way he's hitting .259 again! He'll be around .300 and he'll get back to 40 homers, 110 RBI.
All he needs to do is take that away low pitch to right field, and then they will start coming in on him like 2005 and he murdered em with average and power

OldStyle and SOX
03-03-2008, 08:26 PM
All he has to do is start taking the outside and low ones to right field and they will start coming in on him like 2005. Then he will murder em with average and power just like 2005.:D:

billcissell
03-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Paulie is a classic streak hitter. When he's seeing the ball well and going to all fields he's a .300+ batter with good power. On occasion, he mysteriously starts trying to pull everything and lunges at the outside pitches, which throws off his timing. I look for him to improve on last year's numbers, because he's a better hitter than that. How about .286, 34 dingers and 106 rbis.

gna2112
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with all the numbers mentioned previously. Paulie is my pick to be(ducking and avoiding all thrown objects) the American League MVP this year, at worst comeback player of the year!!! Ozzie, Kenny, and the veterans are not going to let what happened last year, happen again. The proof is all their approaches this ST, and Paulie is taking control of this team. And with all that the Sox will win another Worls Series!!!!

David

soxfan13
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I agree with all the numbers mentioned previously. Paulie is my pick to be(ducking and avoiding all thrown objects) the American League MVP this year, at worst comeback player of the year!!! Ozzie, Kenny, and the veterans are not going to let what happened last year, happen again. The proof is all their approaches this ST, and Paulie is taking control of this team. And with all that the Sox will win another Worls Series!!!!

David

He batted .260 with 30+ HR's and 90+ RBI's I think he would have to have a record breaking season to be considered for comeback player of the year.

ksimpson14
03-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I know, I'm just making a prediction. Any momentum Paulie and the rest of our hitters can have heading into a tough first month of the schedule is a good thing.

Not to crap on the parade, but then it's actually not a great sign, from what I've seen, a lot of things change from now til the end of Spring and the beginning of the season. It might not serve any purpose for predicting, but it seems like guys who are doing okay or just below average start turning it on later and have a hot start. Then again, players can even out later in the year.

Plus you can't really gauge it early, league pitchers won't show how they'll really pitch you, pitchers work on other stuff and are rusty, or it might be some minor leaguer, etc etc etc

BainesHOF
03-05-2008, 02:02 AM
I like Konerko, but if we want to be serious about making the playoffs this year we should trade him, Crede and Uribe and wind up getting a center fielder/leadoff hitter and perhaps a quality pitcher in return. Then put Swisher at first.

We're not going anywhere without a legitimate center fielder and leadoff hitter. Those are two huge holes.

guillen4life13
03-05-2008, 02:41 AM
I like Konerko, but if we want to be serious about making the playoffs this year we should trade him, Crede and Uribe and wind up getting a center fielder/leadoff hitter and perhaps a quality pitcher in return. Then put Swisher at first.

We're not going anywhere without a legitimate center fielder and leadoff hitter. Those are two huge holes.

I'd rather have another good starter than another logjam situation in the outfield. I don't see the offense as a problem this year (as of March 5). Starting pitching has three question marks in Danks, Contreras and Floyd.

Let spring play out and give Owens a chance. In a year, Thome will hopefully be gone (that's not a knock on his performance--he's the oldest, most injury prone 1b/dh type we have and therefore is the odd man out). Then Swisher moves to 1B, PK to DH, and CF is opened up for Anderson. If you want to trade someone, I'd trade Dye to open up the outfield for Quentin/Owens this year, and next year Anderson should be a starter.

My opinion is that if the Sox give up on Owens as a legit leadoff hitter or everyday player for the Sox in the near future, then the following should be moved:

-Owens (his value right now is as high as it's ever been)
-Crede (for reasons that don't need repeating)
-Uribe (if he doesn't win out at 2B)
-Konerko or Thome (whoever doesn't get traded is the DH and Swisher-->1B)
-if Owens isn't traded, Dye should be.

In return for the above players, the Sox should land a very good starting pitcher (#1 or 2 caliber) and a good, proven leadoff hitter, which solves both problems. Whichever player is the weak link between Danks, Floyd and Jose moves to LR/spot-starter, solving that problem. If all three do well (I don't expect this, but I hope for it), then Jose stays in the rotation until gets traded at the deadline to the NL while Floyd or Danks is in long relief and takes the vacated spot when Jose gets traded.

Right now I think the Sox have an excess of power, but I don't think Owens should be counted out. Stick him in LF instead of CF.

All of the proposed trade pieces above are VERY hypothetical and I don't see them happening. I think Owens' offense could surprise a lot of people, and if he's in LF, I don't think he'll be much of a liability. He can't be a worse defender than Pods, and if he can be the offensive force Pods was when healthy (2005 and 2003), the Sox offense will give their opponents headaches on a nightly basis with the lineup behind him. This lineup is easily better than '05 on paper. Hopefully the pitching can be at that standard also, but I'm not holding my breath.

oeo
03-05-2008, 07:03 AM

CF and leadoff is your biggest concern?

Wow...you must really be optimistic about the starting staff. If Konerko is traded for anything (and they won't trade the captain this late, who knows what kind of effect that could end up having on the clubhouse), it should be for rotation help.

chisox77
03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
I think PK's strong start is a good sign. Take it for what it is. Odds are he will bounce back with a strong year at the plate. That's a very good thing for the White Sox.

:cool:

rdivaldi
03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
PK has always murdered the ball in ST, beginning in 1999 when he was a huge question mark coming into the season as a possible failed prospect in the Dodgers/Reds org. This shouldn't be a surprise.

BainesHOF
03-05-2008, 04:34 PM
CF and leadoff is your biggest concern?

Wow...you must really be optimistic about the starting staff. If Konerko is traded for anything (and they won't trade the captain this late, who knows what kind of effect that could end up having on the clubhouse), it should be for rotation help.

The starting staff has the potential to deliver. However, we don't have a legit center fielder and leadoff hitter on the roster.

Thinking trading Konerko would upset the clubhouse is silly, outside of the fact that Konerko doesn't act like a captain and the rest of the players have been allowed to be lazy and lax under his watch.