PDA

View Full Version : While I was reading my Red Eye...

Chilli Palmer
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I stumble across a picture of Jerry O'Connell and Ronnie Woo Woo.

Underneath is a story on how the Red Eye's entertainment reporter was having coffee with "Chicago Icon and Cubs mega-fan Ronnie Woo Woo".

Excuse me but please explain to me why Ronnie Woo Woo is mentioned as a "Chicago Icon"?

kittle42
03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Your first mistake was reading the Red Eye.

Chilli Palmer
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM

:roflmao:

SoxandtheCityTee
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM

Yep. It's self-serving claptrap to call Woo-Woo an icon.

Back in the '80s I witnessed him wander into a north-side restaurant, walk around yelling woo-woo and eventually get thrown out for disturbing everybody. Of course, back then he was toothless and uniformless, widely known as a pest, who'd not yet been targeted by the Tribune Company's media manipulation machine.

ThatGuyOnTheL
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
:roflmao:

Compared to the Red Eye, USA Today reads like the MENSA newsletter :tongue:

areilly
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Excuse me but please explain to me why Ronnie Woo Woo is mentioned as a "Chicago Icon"?

Because he is an icon of a certain swath of Chicago culture, mostly the swath that roots for a ballpark over a team and thinks the emergence of Wrigleyville had everything to do with their Cubbies and nothing to do with...nevermind, I've already been banned before for political hijacks.

tebman
03-03-2008, 10:07 PM

Underneath is a story on how the Red Eye's entertainment reporter was having coffee with "Chicago Icon and Cubs mega-fan Ronnie Woo Woo".

Bear in mind that the Red Eye is the saucy kid sister of the Tribune. Corporate synergy, you know!

doublem23
03-03-2008, 10:21 PM

I'd take a free Red Eye over a $1 Sun-Times. Hell, I'd probably take the free Red Eye over a free Sun-Times. :o: :cool:

At least the writers of the Red Eye know they're just a joke.

Brian26
03-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd take a free Red Eye over a $1 Sun-Times. Hell, I'd probably take the free Red Eye over a free Sun-Times. :o: :cool:

At least the writers of the Red Eye know they're just a joke.

The Red Eye is a hack newspaper that caters to the lowest common denominator. There are plenty of very good writers working for the Sun-Times that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

slavko
03-03-2008, 11:44 PM
He's more of a relic than an icon. Which would make Wrigley Field a relinquary. But we knew that.

chisoxmike
03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
The Red Eye is an embarrassment to the City of Chicago. Jimmy Greenfield writes for it, enough said.

SBSoxFan
03-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Jerry O'Connell of Sliders?! :whiner:

Fenway
03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Whizzer is the best sports columnist in Chicago

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/red-whizzer,0,4487759.columnist

WhiteSox5187
03-04-2008, 01:19 AM
The Red Eye is a hack newspaper that caters to the lowest common denominator. There are plenty of very good writers working for the Sun-Times that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.
I get the Red Eye everyday and go straight to the crossword (need something to do on the train), does this make me the lowest common denominator or am I still good?

kittle42
03-04-2008, 02:10 AM
I get the Red Eye everyday and go straight to the crossword (need something to do on the train), does this make me the lowest common denominator or am I still good?

Buy a regular paper.

alohafri
03-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Because Red Eye is written by the same idiots who hang out at Wrigley Field and the surrounding bars that say, "Hey! There's Ronnie Woo Woo! Let's buy him a beer and get our picture with him! He is so cool! Dude, look at that chick!"

soxfan21
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Because Red Eye is written by the same idiots who hang out at Wrigley Field and the surrounding bars that say, "Hey! There's Ronnie Woo Woo! Let's buy him a beer and get our picture with him! He is so cool! Dude, look at that chick!"
:rolling:

Very true though.

spiffie
03-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Its hard to respect anyone who works for the same tabloid rag that employs the Windsock. You're guilty by association there.

areilly
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Its hard to respect anyone who works for the same tabloid rag that employs the Windsock. You're guilty by association there.

You're not seriously lumping Novak and Speilman into the same category as Mariotti, are you? I'll admit the Sun-Times isn't exactly the bedrock of relevant journalism, but that's pretty cold.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 04:07 PM
An aging homeless man who says "woo" all day long is the perfect mascot for a franchise such as the scrubs

kittle42
03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
An aging homeless man who says "woo" all day long is the perfect mascot for a franchise such as the scrubs

I don't believe him to be homeless.

spiffie
03-04-2008, 04:17 PM
You're not seriously lumping Novak and Speilman into the same category as Mariotti, are you? I'll admit the Sun-Times isn't exactly the bedrock of relevant journalism, but that's pretty cold.
I will grant they have some people I find to be interesting reading, but if there's someone I really wish to read from there, I will find an alternate means of reading them than patronizing that rag in any way, shape, or form.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM

:scratch:

Alright. Thank you for that tidbit of information.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
:scratch:

Alright. Thank you for that tidbit of information.

yw

CubKilla
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Woo Woo is the ultimate trump card for any Sox fan

The Critic
03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Woo Woo is the ultimate trump card for any Sox fan

Used to be.
He is now negated by that guy in the Halloween costume with socks on his ears.

MarySwiss
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Compared to the Red Eye, USA Today reads like the MENSA newsletter :tongue:

As a former editor of Chicago Mensa's newsletter, thank you! :smile:

Er, I think. :?:

Anyway, :gulp:

whitesoxwilkes
03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
The Red Eye is an embarrassment to the City of Chicago. Jimmy Greenfield writes for it, enough said.

Jimmy's actually a very fair dude. I've worked with him on a few things in the past...no need to hate on him.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Used to be.
He is now negated by that guy in the Halloween costume with socks on his ears.

Soxman is cool

kittle42
03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Soxman is cool

Um, if you think he is fine, then Woo Woo is fine, too.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Um, if you think he is fine, then Woo Woo is fine, too.

you can't compare a healthy, young southside guy who's probably a college student or has a decent paying job to a derelict who prioritized yelling inanely on waveland avenue over getting his life together.

Fenway
03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't believe him to be homeless.
No he isn't

He lives here

http://www.gallagher.com/blog/images/Wrigley_Field_Congrats_to_Sox.jpg

TheVulture
03-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Didn't you hear? He was canonized by the Eastern Orthodox.

kittle42
03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
you can't compare a healthy, young southside guy who's probably a college student or has a decent paying job to a derelict who prioritized yelling inanely on waveland avenue over getting his life together.

If they both look like idiots, you can. You are also making broad, unsupported generalizations about both men.

Man, I can't believe I'm indirectly defending Ronnie Wickers.

MarySwiss
03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
If they both look like idiots, you can. You are also making broad, unsupported generalizations about both men.

Man, I can't believe I'm indirectly defending Ronnie Wickers.

Neither can I. Especially since you should actually be pointing out the conspicuously absent comma in that Wrigley Field sign that Fens saw fit to post. :wink:

Fenway
03-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Neither can I. Especially since you should actually be pointing out the conspicuously absent comma in that Wrigley Field sign that Fens saw fit to post. :wink:

You lost me on that one.

BTW you like that banjo player?

Brian26
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM

Sorry, but the Red Eye crossword is a dumbed-down version of the Wayne Robert Williams version from the Trib (which is my personal favorite). I know this because there are some days when I work both puzzles. I might spend an hour working on the Trib version while the Red Eye takes about 10 minutes.

Brian26
03-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Meanwhile, Liz Cronkin is the poor man's Susanna Homan, which is saying something since I consider Susanna Homan on the low end of the journalistic talent spectrum.

Brian26
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM

You're telling me Roeper sucks because he happens to have the same employer? There's only so much a man can control.

Fenway
03-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Red Eye is the NY Times compared to the freebie papers we get in the east

take a look at this garbage...but it is FREE

Boston Now
http://www.bostonnow.com/files/print_edition/BostonNOW%2003-05-08.pdf

Metro - Boston

http://www.readmetro.com/show/en/Boston/20080304/2/1/

Metro - New York

http://www.readmetro.com/show/en/NewYork/20080304/2/1/

Metro - Philadelphia

http://www.readmetro.com/show/en/Philadelphia/20080304/2/1/

AM New York
http://www.amny.com/media/acrobat/2008-03/23136028.pdf

Railsplitter
03-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Which stinks more: Red Eye or the fish it's wrapped around?

Brian26
03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Boston Now
http://www.bostonnow.com/files/print_edition/BostonNOW%2003-05-08.pdf

Boston has WiFi on their subway? Wow.

The Critic
03-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Soxman is cool
He is equal in coolness to Woo Woo.
No cooler, no less cool.

kittle42
03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Sorry, but the Red Eye crossword is a dumbed-down version of the Wayne Robert Williams version from the Trib (which is my personal favorite). I know this because there are some days when I work both puzzles. I might spend an hour working on the Trib version while the Red Eye takes about 10 minutes.

Hey, you have to play down to your "readers."

Chilli Palmer
03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Meanwhile, Liz Cronkin is the poor man's Susanna Homan, which is saying something since I consider Susanna Homan on the low end of the journalistic talent spectrum.

They both suck. It seems like every story either of them do is centered around either Lincoln Park or Lakeview. Hello there is ALOT more to this great city than those two transplant havens.

kittle42
03-05-2008, 12:57 AM
They both suck. It seems like every story either of them do is centered around either Lincoln Park or Lakeview. Hello there is ALOT more to this great city than those two transplant havens.

There sure is, but not much better. :wink:

TheVulture
03-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Which stinks more: Red Eye or the fish it's wrapped around?

Brilliant!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/subgenius88/87cf706ceda689fc0dd28df65ba1f6be.gif

Chilli Palmer
03-05-2008, 01:35 AM
There sure is, but not much better. :wink:

Piss off.