PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Haeger

wcw2323
03-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Take a look at Charlie Haeger's pitching line from Sunday vs. the Diamondbacks. 2 IP, 2 Hits, 0 runs, 0 walks...and 7 pitches, all strikes! Talk about being efficient!
What does everyone think about his chances to make the team as a long reliefer? He had a tough year in AAA last year, but had a very good second half with an ERA in the high 2's. Perhaps he's ready to make the jump.

soltrain21
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
How many relievers have there been in the MLB that used the knuckleball? I can't think of any.

The biggest problem with Haeger is that we don't have a catcher who can catch a knuckeball, which would be quite a big problem with people on base.

Chez
03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
How many relievers have there been in the MLB that used the knuckleball? I can't think of any.

The biggest problem with Haeger is that we don't have a catcher who can catch a knuckeball, which would be quite a big problem with people on base.

I can think of two who pitched for the Sox: Hoyt Wilhelm and Wilbur Wood.

guillen4life13
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I personally think he could be a great guy in the pen (and can do long relief and spot starts if need be) since, as a knuckler, he would be a huge change of speed from the flamethrowers that have been put together in the pen.

Some pretty knowledgeable knucklers (Wilbur Wood, IIRC) have said that Haeger's knuckler is the real deal. Some people have compared him to Tim Wakefield in this regard. He's still only 24, so I would expect to see him get an extended look this season, especially if the Sox falter and have a fire sale.

I think Masset would be ahead of him in the pecking order due to how many options each of them has, but I do think that Haeger could end up with the team at some point during the year if someone gets injured. Broadway would probably be the first guy called up in the event of an injured starter, but Haeger is still a viable prospect.

Unless lots has changed in not too long a time period.

DumpJerry
03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Some pretty knowledgeable knucklers (Wilbur Wood, IIRC) have said that Haeger's knuckler is the real deal. Some people have compared him to Tim Wakefield in this regard. He's still only 24, so I would expect to see him get an extended look this season, especially if the Sox falter and have a fire sale.
Charlie Hough has commented on the high quality of Haeger's knuckler.

Noneck
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM

And Eddie Fisher for a couple cups of coffee.

hi im skot
03-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Did they ever do relief work?

kittle42
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
2 spring training innings? Yup, he's ready to make the jump.

chisoxmike
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Take a look at Charlie Haeger's pitching line from Sunday vs. the Diamondbacks. 2 IP, 2 Hits, 0 runs, 0 walks...and 7 pitches, all strikes! Talk about being efficient!
What does everyone think about his chances to make the team as a long reliefer? He had a tough year in AAA last year, but had a very good second half with an ERA in the high 2's. Perhaps he's ready to make the jump.

I hope not.

Lip Man 1
03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Eddie Fisher was not for "a couple of cups of coffee," unless you regard the 1965 Fireman of the Year Award and an All Star appearance as such.

Lip

Noneck
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Did they ever do relief work?

Wilhelm only was a reliefer with the Sox, Woody did both.

Noneck
03-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Eddie Fisher was not for "a couple of cups of coffee," unless you regard the 1965 Fireman of the Year Award and an All Star appearance as such.

Lip

I Forgot about his original stint with the Sox.

HomeFish
03-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Jenks apparently can throw a knuckleball, but has never done it in a game situation.

Daver
03-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Can Toby Hall catch a knuckler?

If not I doubt he makes the team.

rdivaldi
03-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Who is our backup catcher going to be then? Lucy? Armstrong? I don't like the thought of that.

Daver
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Who is our backup catcher going to be then? Lucy? Armstrong? I don't like the thought of that.

I am referring to Haeger making it, not Hall. Lucy can catch a knuckler though.

rdivaldi
03-03-2008, 06:01 PM

Ah, okay. If Lucy can catch a knuckler I'd imagine that they're going to be best friends in Charlotte this year. Maybe Donny will be his personal caddy in the bigs in 2009.

wcw2323
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Another good outing for Charlie Haeger today. He pitched the 8th inning...3 pitches, all strikes, three ground outs. On Sunday he pitched 2 innings, 7 pitches, 7 strikes, 1 hit, 0 runs. I still think he will be a valuable and versatile member of the bullpen as a long reliefer, spot starter. He can pitch as often as Ozzie neds him to eat innings and save the rest of the bullpen.

Way to go Charlie!

rowand33
03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Another good outing for Charlie Haeger today. He pitched the 8th inning...3 pitches, all strikes, three ground outs. On Sunday he pitched 2 innings, 7 pitches, 7 strikes, 1 hit, 0 runs. I still think he will be a valuable and versatile member of the bullpen as a long reliefer, spot starter. He can pitch as often as Ozzie neds him to eat innings and save the rest of the bullpen.

Way to go Charlie!

who was catching?

I've always been a big Haeger fan.

I'd love to see him in the pen or the rotation. He'd be a great change of pace in the pen. I felt one of the biggest problems with our pen last year was that they were all power guys.

dickallen15
03-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Chuck Hough was a reliever for a while. Wakefield I think spent time as a closer.

btrain929
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
who was catching?

I've always been a big Haeger fan.

I'd love to see him in the pen or the rotation. He'd be a great change of pace in the pen. I felt one of the biggest problems with our pen last year was that they were all power guys.

It hasn't mattered up to now who's been catching cuz they've been swinging at everything. But that'll definitely change once the season starts because the big league hitters will DEFINITELY be taking as many pitches as possible to try to get in favorable counts where Haeger might throw that 85 MPH meatball down the middle or hanging knuckle. I wish him the best with whatever role he has, but he just seems like a player that our organization has no idea what they want to do with him.

kittle42
03-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I am just wondering...is the only reason there seems to be this group of Haeger is god people here because he throws a knuckleball?

Haeger and Brian Anderson...Sox players whom WSI has made me dislike.

munchman33
03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I am just wondering...is the only reason there seems to be this group of Haeger is god people here because he throws a knuckleball?

Hey, he's the closest thing we have to an MLB read pitching prospect.

LITTLE NELL
03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Wilhelm only was a reliefer with the Sox, Woody did both.
Wilhelm is in the HOF. He taught the knuckler to Wood.

Noneck
03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Wilhelm is in the HOF. He taught the knuckler to Wood.
Yea, I know but I think Eddie Fisher was also involved in teaching Woody. My point was Wilhelm was only a reliefer with the Sox, I think he started previously and Woody did both with the Sox. My response was to someone that didn't realize that knuckleballers pitched relief. Did you read the whole thread?

RowanDye
03-04-2008, 09:40 PM

That's really sad that you feel that way.

The truth is that people enjoy potential, particularly prospects that we've seen and/or have been hyped up.

Anyways, I hear "Chicks dig the knuckleball". :tongue:

JermaineDye05
03-04-2008, 10:02 PM

considering he's a knuckle baller and Masset is out of options, I'd say his chances are pretty slim.

ND_Sox_Fan
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM

Better question - can Toby Hall catch a 4-seamer? Given that inability, I would think that he would be challenged to catch the knuckler.

I'd love to see Haeger get an extended shot this year.

santo=dorf
03-04-2008, 10:39 PM
The 1,000th fan through the gate would be an upgrade over our backup catcher from last season.

Molina couldn't hit, but handle the pitchers pretty well. Hall did nothing and has yet to play or get the surgery for his labrum.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Toby Hall said he should be ready to play by the end of next week after being placed on a deliberate program designed to stabilize the right shoulder he separated last March.

Hall was very possibly major league baseball's worst player while trying to play through a torn labrum last year, and there's no guarantee he'll be much better this season. The White Sox need to take a long look at him this spring to determine whether it might not be better to simply eat the $1.9 million he's still owed.

That's the latest from the 29th.

HaroMaster87
03-04-2008, 11:10 PM
The 1,000th fan through the gate would be an upgrade over our backup catcher from last season.

Molina couldn't hit, but handle the pitchers pretty well. Hall did nothing and has yet to play or get the surgery for his labrum.

That's the latest from the 29th.

Guess that explains the long looks that Armstrong has been getting already...I don't care which way they go, they just better be SURE

Nellie_Fox
03-04-2008, 11:19 PM

And Eddie Fisher for a couple cups of coffee.
Turk Lown
Gerry Staley

And these are just guys who were relievers who used a knuckler FOR THE SOX.

Optipessimism
03-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Knucklers are kind of like anchovies in that you either love them or you hate them. Personally, I don't care for either. The walks, stolen bases, wild pitches, passed balls, and the need to throw a batting practice straight fastball over the plate to get out of trouble make me hope Charlie finds success in another organization.

If you look around the Central there is a lot of speed out there, and some pretty risky managers (outside of Wedgie of course). Guys like Gathright, DeJesus, Pena, whatever new fast slap hitter the Twins bring up, Granderson, Polanco, Sizemore, etc. would eat Haeger alive if they got walked. Pretty much anyone with halfway decent speed would run on him, and to some of these guys a walk might as well be a triple.

If we're going to go with a young guy for the LR spot, and if it's not going to be Masset, I'd prefer Broadway or Egbert.

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 09:38 AM

:angry:

rdivaldi
03-05-2008, 09:41 AM
:angry:

I thought Daver meant the same thing...

wcw2323
03-05-2008, 03:17 PM
What a joke. Aren't these guys professionals? Maybe Pierzynski or Hall should actually try to learn how to catch a knuckler. AJ hasn't shown much interest in the times he caught Haeger. And when he had a passed ball, AJ showed an incredible lack of hustle retrieving the it. Pretty sad that this kids future can potentially be governed by a catcher's inability or lack of interest in learning how to catch him.
I agree with the other poster. If AJ isn't interested, Toby or one of the AAA catchers should be doing everything he can to team up with him. Mirabelli has made himself quite a career catching Wakefield.....
Good luck to Charlie on Friday. here's hoping he has a good outing and makes decisions interesting at the end of ST!

kittle42
03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
What a joke. Aren't these guys professionals? Maybe Pierzynski or Hall should actually try to learn how to catch a knuckler. AJ hasn't shown much interest in the times he caught Haeger. And when he had a passed ball, AJ showed an incredible lack of hustle retrieving the it. Pretty sad that this kids future can potentially be governed by a catcher's inability or lack of interest in learning how to catch him.
I agree with the other poster. If AJ isn't interested, Toby or one of the AAA catchers should be doing everything he can to team up with him. Mirabelli has made himself quite a career catching Wakefield.....
Good luck to Charlie on Friday. here's hoping he has a good outing and makes decisions interesting at the end of ST!

Bull. Hall and Pierzynski are both more valuable than Haeger. Thus, unless he's lights out, he's the man on the outside. Way outside.

diehardRLsoxfan
03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Bull. Hall and Pierzynski are both more valuable than Haeger. Thus, unless he's lights out, he's the man on the outside. Way outside.

Exactly. If Haeger was to blow somebody away and actually make the squad, then and only then should Hall and AJ worry about catching a knuckler. Why should they waste time on something that they probably won't even have to do when they could be working on more important things like avoiding sucker punches from opposing catchers.:D:

btrain929
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Exactly. If Haeger was to blow somebody away and actually make the squad, then and only then should Hall and AJ worry about catching a knuckler. Why should they waste time on something that they probably won't even have to do when they could be working on more important things like avoiding sucker punches from opposing catchers.:D:

......or working on throwing out runners stealing 2nd and 3rd base.

diehardRLsoxfan
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM

That skill is overrated.

MetroPD
03-05-2008, 06:40 PM

Or actually showing hustle on passed balls........

kittle42
03-06-2008, 03:38 PM

The ball sure looks ready to make the jump off the bat of the opponents.

soxinem1
03-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Charlie Hough was a pretty good knuckleball reliever in the 70's too!

TDog
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Yea, I know but I think Eddie Fisher was also involved in teaching Woody. My point was Wilhelm was only a reliefer with the Sox, I think he started previously and Woody did both with the Sox. My response was to someone that didn't realize that knuckleballers pitched relief. Did you read the whole thread?

Wilhelm pitched in more than 1,000 games. He started about 50, most of them for the Orioles in the 1960s after he had established himself as a reliever in the 1950s. Wilhelm, like fellow Hall-of-Fame reliever Dennis Eckersley, even pitched a no-hitter. (But Eckersley didn't hit a home run in his first major league at bat as Willhelm did.)

Wood started two games in 1968, the year he set what was the record for pitching appearances in a season at 88. He was a reliever until Chuck Tanner moved him into the starting rotation. Wood saved 20 games in a season before he won 20 games in a season. The list of such pitchers is quite short.

Jim Bouton, a starter who won two games for the Yankees in the 1964 World Series, finished his career as a knuckleball reliever. Knuckleball relievers were at one time not unheard of.

Lip Man 1
03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
More on Wilbur:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3008

And Ed Herrmann talks about having to catch all those knuckleballers:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=2285

Lip

rowand33
03-06-2008, 05:28 PM

I can't believe people agree with this sentiment.

If Haeger put up 10+ wins and an ERA in the mid-4s he'd be FAR more valuable than our backup catcher.

If Lucy became the Sox Mirabelli and Haeger become the Sox Wakefield, we'd be in a pretty good situation...

kittle42
03-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I can't believe people agree with this sentiment.

If Haeger put up 10+ wins and an ERA in the mid-4s he'd be FAR more valuable than our backup catcher.

If Lucy became the Sox Mirabelli and Haeger become the Sox Wakefield, we'd be in a pretty good situation...

Yes, but that's not going to happen, is my point, because Haeger blows. He's not going to put up 10+ wins or =have a 4.50 ERA because he hasn't shown he can do that. Thus, our two catchers are more valuable.

This blind love of Haeger is mind boggling.

munchman33
03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, but that's not going to happen, is my point, because Haeger blows. He's not going to put up 10+ wins or =have a 4.50 ERA because he hasn't shown he can do that. Thus, our two catchers are more valuable.

Do you have a lot of experience judging knuckleballers? I'm not saying that Charlie doesn't blow, but where is the point of reference? Charlie gets a ton of movement on his pitch. His problems have been command, which is generally the last step in mastering that particular pitch. But in terms of using a knuckleball effectively, Charlie is WAY ahead of the curve.

kittle42
03-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Do you have a lot of experience judging knuckleballers? I'm not saying that Charlie doesn't blow, but where is the point of reference? Charlie gets a ton of movement on his pitch. His problems have been command, which is generally the last step in mastering that pitch.

All I need is to see him pitch.

He needs to gather command of something? Fine - put him back down at AAA. I am not saying to drop him.

wcw2323
03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Charlie certainly doesn't blow as the poster wrote. He had back to back 14 win seasons and was an All-Star in AA and AAA. Before last year he had the best record in the minors and and ERA around 3.00. He got off to a poor start last year, but was back on the beam in the 2nd half with an ERA in the mid 2's. His ERA at year end was 4.08 with a record of 6-16. He had a better ERA than Broadway.....
He's a proven winner at AAA. All he needs are innings at the ML level. If the White Sox can't find a place for him, there are other teams that would love to have him as a long reliefer or at the back of the rotation eating up innings. The White Sox may just be kicking themselves in a few years.....As Charlie Hough stated "Charlie has the best knuckler since Wakefield" All he needs are innings to perfect his craft.

sox1970
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I think Haeger needs to go to a bad team and save one of their bullpens by being an innings-eating starter. Haeger and the Sox don't match up well.

kittle42
03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Charlie certainly doesn't blow as the poster wrote. He had back to back 14 win seasons and was an All-Star in AA and AAA. Before last year he had the best record in the minors and and ERA around 3.00. He got off to a poor start last year, but was back on the beam in the 2nd half with an ERA in the mid 2's. His ERA at year end was 4.08 with a record of 6-16. He had a better ERA than Broadway.....
He's a proven winner at AAA. All he needs are innings at the ML level. If the White Sox can't find a place for him, there are other teams that would love to have him as a long reliefer or at the back of the rotation eating up innings. The White Sox may just be kicking themselves in a few years.....As Charlie Hough stated "Charlie has the best knuckler since Wakefield" All he needs are innings to perfect his craft.

That is not great praise. There aren't many knucklers, and Wakefield is a middle-to-end of the rotation guy for pretty much his whole career, when he in fact is starting at all.

Let him get some major leaguers out first...preferably with another team.

I can find you a ton of minor league all-stars who can't do squat in the show. Thus far, your boy is one of them.

But I wish him the best in Charlotte.

rowand33
03-06-2008, 10:24 PM
That is not great praise. There aren't many knucklers, and Wakefield is a middle-to-end of the rotation guy for pretty much his whole career, when he in fact is starting at all.

Let him get some major leaguers out first...preferably with another team.

I can find you a ton of minor league all-stars who can't do squat in the show. Thus far, your boy is one of them.

But I wish him the best in Charlotte.

Yeah, the last thing the Sox need is a middle-to-end of the rotation guy

Charlie was good in 2006. Bad last year. I still think he'd be a better bet in the pen than Masset, who has no track record of MLB success, save a 5 IP start against the Cubs.

munchman33
03-07-2008, 01:04 AM
All I need is to see him pitch.

He needs to gather command of something? Fine - put him back down at AAA. I am not saying to drop him.

Gotcha.

Charlie is a little harder to predict than other prospects. Knuckleballers aren't common, and they're all different. And they heavily rely on that one pitch that we can't predict. In any given start, a knuckleballer might throw 90% knuckleballs.

I wouldn't just give him a job, but I wouldn't outright dismiss him either. He's quite the wildcard.

Nellie_Fox
03-07-2008, 01:29 AM
I've been partial to knuckleballers since I was a kid, and I knew that when I heard Brickhouse say "here comes Dr. Wilhelm and his dancing medicine show" that the game was over. Later in life, I got to watch Wilbur frustrate hitters. Good stuff.

MetroPD
03-07-2008, 01:41 AM

He just turned 24 and hasn't had much of a start in the bigs. He has shown flashes of getting it together but like most knuckleballers has the occasional blowout. Having had a decent '06 showing and a poor '07, I fail to see the correlation you've made between his skill level and future potential or lack there of.

This blind hate of Haeger is mind boggling.

johnr1note
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
He just turned 24 and hasn't had much of a start in the bigs. He has shown flashes of getting it together but like most knuckleballers has the occasional blowout. Having had a decent '06 showing and a poor '07, I fail to see the correlation you've made between his skill level and future potential or lack there of.

I agree that the blind hatred or support of Haeger doesn;t make sense.

Haeger's last season wasn't as bad as I thought, though his last three appearances before earning a ticket back to Charlotte were not so hot -- all against the Tigers and Yankees.

And if you look at his first year, other than that abysmal first start, he was pretty much lights out. I saw him in person on two or three occasions in 2006 enter a game and just baffle hitters. I made me wonder why we either didn't use him more often, or why we didn't give him a shot in the rotation.

But as you look at his stats and his history with the White Sox, I don't think he gets short shrift in our organization just because he throws a trick pitch. A guy with his minor league stats should get a shot with the club, but he has only been brought up when we're truly desperate to fill a hole. I'm no judge of major league talent, but when Haeger doesn't do well, he collapses. Maybe that's the nature of the knuckler, but do you think that gets in his head? And if it does, it prohibits more consistent work? I'd love to see Charlie get a shot, but he seems to wilt when the pressure is really on. Admittedly, the games I saw him pitch in were probably not close, meaning he was not trying to hold a lead or keep things cool in a tight contest. Perhaps that's the issue.

If Haeger could succeed, I'd be all for it, but I think another "tricky" guy, side-armed Wasserman, will be our "secret weapon" this year. I'm banking on him giving us something similar to what Politte and/or Cotts gave us in 2005.

RowanDye
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Haeger doesn't deserve a spot on the team right now, but as you say he's only 24 yrs. old.

Why are people rushing to send him to a different team?

Haeger may not like it too much being stuck in AAA, but it's not like the guy is going to wilt or blow his arm out.

Give him a year or two, by that time we will probably have a different catcher situation and if Haeger has found more consistency then it may justify carrying someone who can catch him.

kittle42
03-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Honestly, I don't give two ****s what they do with him. Another poster said keep him in AAA - I agree. Don't dump him for no reason. But on the other hand, his throwing a knuckler doesn't make me wax nostaligic for Hoyt Wilhelm.

Noneck
03-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I heard Brickhouse say "here comes Dr. Wilhelm and his dancing medicine show" that the game was over.

I may be mistaken but I believe it was the Old Redhead that used these sayings. Red Rush.

Lip Man 1
03-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Noneck:

It was Bob Elson actually.

Regarding Haeger, Broadway and Masset, they are going to have to suddenly show a lot more then they have been so far in Arizona to even think about making this club.

Lip

Noneck
03-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I've been partial to knuckleballers since I was a kid, and I knew that when I heard Brickhouse say "here comes Dr. Wilhelm and his dancing medicine show" that the game was over. Later in life, I got to watch Wilbur frustrate hitters. Good stuff.

I was hooked for the same reasons as you. I remember going to a game that celebrated Doc Wilhems birthday (I don't remember which one) and everyone in the park received some birthday cake. I'll always love a dancing medicine show.

Nellie_Fox
03-08-2008, 12:30 AM
It was Bob Elson actually.Maybe. Probably. I watched WGN Sox games with Brickhouse doing the PBP, and listened to WCFL Sox games with Elson doing the PBP. It was a long time ago; I'm sure I could have gotten the memories mixed up.

Tragg
03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I think he'd be interesting as our long reliever.
I like pitching young pitchers, who could start, out of the pen for a year or so to give them the ML experience. (v. 100% career middle relievers). But it sounds like he could use more AAA time. I hope he and Lucy develop into White Sox major leaguers.
Do we have any reports on Sisco? He's he still being turned into a starter?
Is MacDougal making this team?