PDA

View Full Version : SI.COM: O's, Cubs trade for Roberts getting serious.

It's Time
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2008/03/03/heyman.roberts/index.html

Make em pay, MacPhail.

palehozenychicty
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
They've been saying this for awhile now. Angelos is still intractable and has nixed trades with Roberts before, so time will tell.

veeter
03-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Soriano pouts if he doesn't lead off. DeRosa is good. They'll have 50 middle infielders. He's a 'roider. Other than stolen bases, why do the cubs want him?

BadBobbyJenks
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Soriano pouts if he doesn't lead off. DeRosa is good. They'll have 50 middle infielders. He's a 'roider. Other than stolen bases, why do the cubs want him?

Because Soriano is a waste leading off.

nodiggity59
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Soriano is a waste at any place in the batting order where he doesn't get a chance to hit get me over fastballs. He has no value outside of leadoff hitter.

veeter
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Because Soriano is a waste leading off.You know that, I know that and Piniella knows that. But Fonzy doesn't know that.

jabrch
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
You know that, I know that and Piniella knows that. But Fonzy doesn't know that.

Soriano's statistics don't show what you know to be true. That's the difference. He is a much more effective hitter leading off than in any other slot he has been tried at.

veeter
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Soriano's statistics don't show what you know to be true. That's the difference. He is a much more effective hitter leading off than in any other slot he has been tried at.Hence the problem of aquiring Roberts.

oeo
03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
This is like the fifth time talks have gotten 'serious.' And three of those times the deal was finished.

:dunno:

Mohoney
03-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Soriano is a waste at any place in the batting order where he doesn't get a chance to hit get me over fastballs. He has no value outside of leadoff hitter.

If he's sandwiched between Lee and Ramirez, he would have pretty good protection and would get some pitches to hit.

russ99
03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
This is like the fifth time talks have gotten 'serious.' And three of those times the deal was finished.

:dunno:

It's the same story recirculated. It's hooey. Unless the package improves, Angelos will kill it.

The SI story is complete bunk, since the Orioles would be adding another player, Jay Payton with the same tired ridiculous package going back to the O's: Gallagher, Marshall, Cedeno and or Murton.

When the Cubs get around to including real prospects, something may actually get done.

soxwon
03-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Jose Canseco endorses Brian Roberts.

chaerulez
03-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Someone should explain to Soriano the concept of multi-run HRs. Something he couldn't do much of because of his spot in the batting order.

oeo
03-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Someone should explain to Soriano the concept of multi-run HRs. Something he couldn't do much of because of his spot in the batting order.

And because he's not the same hitter when there are guys on base. He's not a fit for lower in the order...his numbers will see a huge drop.

BadBobbyJenks
03-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Texas didnt seem to mind batting Soriano in the middle of their order

Boondock Saint
03-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Can Roberts pitch 5-6 innings every five days? If not, then...

:whocares

Until they get some starting pitchers they're going NOWHERE.

jabrch
03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Can Roberts pitch 5-6 innings every five days? If not, then...

:whocares

Until they get some starting pitchers they're going NOWHERE.

They have the same sort of options for the back end of their rotation as we do - maybe even better. Marquis, Lieber, Marshall, Gallagher, etc...

soxwon
03-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Did Reuters report, he's a Roider?

goon
03-07-2008, 10:23 AM
They have the same sort of options for the back end of their rotation as we do - maybe even better. Marquis, Lieber, Marshall, Gallagher, etc...

More does not equate to better. Marshall is probably going to give you what Gavin Floyd does, Sean Gallagher is a complete mystery at the ML level. They got swept in the Playoffs last season because their SP proved it couldn't handle a playoff caliber offense and all they added was Lieber.

I don't really think they are head and shoulder above anyone in that division, so I don't get all of the love. The Brewers, Astros, even the Reds will give them some competition.

spiffie
03-07-2008, 02:07 PM
More does not equate to better. Marshall is probably going to give you what Gavin Floyd does, Sean Gallagher is a complete mystery at the ML level. They got swept in the Playoffs last season because their SP proved it couldn't handle a playoff caliber offense and all they added was Lieber.

I don't really think they are head and shoulder above anyone in that division, so I don't get all of the love. The Brewers, Astros, even the Reds will give them some competition.
So you don't like the Cubs, who have at least 3 solid arms, but you like the Astros, who have Oswalt and pray for four days of rain?

goon
03-07-2008, 03:01 PM

So you don't like the Cubs, who have at least 3 solid arms, but you like the Astros, who have Oswalt and pray for four days of rain?

No one in that division is going to run away from the bunch. Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez and Brandon Backe aren't far off from the Cubs top 3, nor is what the Reds have. Granted, the Astros do have a worse rotation, but you could make a case that the Reds have a better one, even if they play in a little league park.

In fact, there isn't one division in baseball that you could make a solid case for that will run away with any division, IMO. I mean flip a ****ing coin trying to figure out who will win the NL West.

I never said I didn't like the Cubs. Not once. I just don't think the back of their rotation is that much better than the Sox.

spiffie
03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
No one in that division is going to run away from the bunch. Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez and Brandon Backe aren't far off from the Cubs top 3, nor is what the Reds have. In fact, there isn't one division in baseball that you could make a solid case for that will run away with any division. I mean flip a ****ing coin trying to figure out who will win the NL West.

I never said I didn't like the Cubs. Not once. I just don't think the back of their rotation is that much better than the Sox.
I guess I just don't see the #2 and #3 guys for Houston as all that impressive. Wandy Rodriguez will be 29 this year, and has yet to put up an ERA under 4.50 in the NL. Backe is coming off of injuries so who knows how he will be? Honestly, I don't really like the Astros for any better than 4th in that division unless they bring back Roger the Roider.

oeo
03-07-2008, 03:06 PM
I guess I just don't see the #2 and #3 guys for Houston as all that impressive. Wandy Rodriguez will be 29 this year, and has yet to put up an ERA under 4.50 in the NL. Backe is coming off of injuries so who knows how he will be? Honestly, I don't really like the Astros for any better than 4th in that division unless they bring back Roger the Roider.

I disagree. They've assembled a pretty good offense over there for once. Pitching doesn't mean jack in that division; it's who can outslug the other.

goon
03-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Okay, well throw them out of the equation. There are still the Brewers, Reds and what about the Cardinals? They were awful last season and were still competing through August. The Cubs just aren't far and away the best team in that division.

goon
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I disagree. They've assembled a pretty good offense over there for once. Pitching doesn't mean jack in that division; it's who can outslug the other.

Right. They did add Bourne and Tejada to a lineup that already has Berkman, Lee and a breakout star in Pence. That team should score some runs.

spiffie
03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Okay, well throw them out of the equation. There are still the Brewers, Reds and what about the Cardinals? They were awful last season and were still competing through August. The Cubs just aren't far and away the best team in that division.
I agree with you on the Brewers, and I like the Reds to play well this year. The Cards, if Pujols is out for any length of time, are done, D-U-N, finished.

I think though right now that more things need to break right for the Brewers or Reds than the Cubs for them to win the division. That said, they're easily the weakest of the three divisions, and likely weaker than the wild card team from the NL.

russ99
03-11-2008, 01:06 PM

As the Astros are my second favorite team, I have to somewhat agree with your pitching speculation, though Backe could be really solid if he can last through a season. He's put up some nice numbers but keeps getting injured.

This is kind of a last-chance for Wandy. He put up incredible numbers at home but he got out of his comfort zone on the road and was shelled. If he can put it together, he'd be a pretty good #2 but if not he'd be out of the league.

I also like some of the Astro rookies vying for the 5th spot, Sampson and Paulino, and the Astros also got Shawn Chacon to compete for a spot just before opening camp.

Roger won't be back with the Astros, count on it. Their solid group of hitters can lead them to contention, if Bourn and Kaz Matsui are good enough at the top of the lineup. The middle has Tejada, Berkman, Lee, and Pence, plus Wigginton and Towles at the back are decent hitters too.

I'd pick them third behind the Brewers and Cubs, (I'm not sold on the Reds) but if the pitching is better than advertised or they deal a hitter for a good starter, they could make a run.