PDA

View Full Version : Home Opener

muster25
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I plan on tailgating for this year's home opener, I hear it's a wicked party. Are all the home games like that or just the opener? This will be my first time tailgating there and I hope I'm not disappointed. I want to bring a bus load of my friends, is there room for large vehicles? If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions, please don't hesitate to respond.

Thanks

CHIsoxNation
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I plan on tailgating for this year's home opener, I hear it's a wicked party. Are all the home games like that or just the opener? This will be my first time tailgating there and I hope I'm not disappointed. I want to bring a bus load of my friends, is there room for large vehicles? If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions, please don't hesitate to respond.

Thanks

I think most people who tailgate before games would agree that it's a lot of fun no matter which game you are going to. Obviously the first home game of the season is a bit more special.

Depends what you mean by large vehicles. I doubt you could park a bus in any of the main lots but they allow for the bigger SUVs. Normally they try to park all of the trucks and SUVs with tailgates together.

twentywontowin
03-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Thanks

How large of a vehicle are you bringing, like a literal bus?

But the home opener does seem to be a little more fun than your normal games for tailgating. 2005 opener was probably the best one I've ever been to.

Beer Can Chicken
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks

I have a friend who rented a bus before and we tailgated. He threw a keg on a back and we brought a grill. Buses have there own section.

South Side Irish
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Tailgating is great - no matter when. I've only been to opening day in 2006, and my gramps isn't much the tailgating type! Too bad, we could have - had to wait in line for 2 hours thanks to the "gotta get a ring!!! crowd.

DumpJerry
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Tailgating takes place in the lots before every game. If you're in a real bus, you'll be sent to Lot A. Call the White Sox ahead of time to find out how to get a bus in there (312-674-1000).

If you have underaged people with you, be careful. Security does patrol the lots and will ask for ids of people with drinks who look under 21.

skottyj242
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Tailgating is great - no matter when. I've only been to opening day in 2006, and my gramps isn't much the tailgating type! Too bad, we could have - had to wait in line for 2 hours thanks to the "gotta get a ring!!! crowd.

They didn't give out rings Opening Day 2006.

hi im skot
03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Opening day is wicked awesome.

skottyj242
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I hope I will be able to do some tailgating at the home opener this year if not I will get some partying done at game two.

The Critic
03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
They didn't give out rings Opening Day 2006.
Right, rings were home game #2's giveaway. I waited for about 3 hours to get one, and it was worth it. It's hanging on the left arm of my Buerhle bobblehead.
What was Opening Day's giveaway? Mini-trophies? Banners? I can't remember.

CHIsoxNation
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Right, rings were home game #2's giveaway. I waited for about 3 hours to get one, and it was worth it. It's hanging on the left arm of my Buerhle bobblehead.

I don't remember what the giveaway was because we were late but I have 100 pictures of the banner ceremony.

Matlock
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Do they allow pop up campers? I have one of those always wondered if I could bring when I visit this June.

KenBerryGrab
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Magnetic schedule and rally sock.

The Critic
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Magnetic schedule and rally sock.
Disappointing.

jenn2080
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM

I got one 20 min before first pitch

soxfan21
03-03-2008, 01:33 PM
As mentioned before tailgating is fun no matter which game you go to, but obviously the home opener, at least in my opinoin, is a little bit more fun than the rest unless you are talking about the playoffs. Can't wait for the home opener this year, and hope to see many of you guys there as well!

thegooch
03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
I have a friend who rented a bus before and we tailgated. He threw a keg on a back and we brought a grill. Buses have there own section.

That was a good time. I remember Jon Rauch got totally rocked that day. I also recall people telling me that right after I left(early) a foul ball came directly to the seats I was sitting in. :angry::angry:

MCHSoxFan
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I think most people who tailgate before games would agree that it's a lot of fun no matter which game you are going to. Obviously the first home game of the season is a bit more special.

Depends what you mean by large vehicles. I doubt you could park a bus in any of the main lots but they allow for the bigger SUVs. Normally they try to park all of the trucks and SUVs with tailgates together.

You can park a bus/RV in Lot A (35TH/WENTWORTH) on the 35th side, NOT the 34th side, of the parking lot. Parking pass is $30 PER game. However, call 312-674-1000 for a discount if you buy BEFORE 4/7/2008.

Streets
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Not to thread hijack... but is the Bullpen bar even more packed on opening day? I've got seats in the upper deck but I figured we'd try for something in the bar. Any advice??

redsand22
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Not to thread hijack... but is the Bullpen bar even more packed on opening day? I've got seats in the upper deck but I figured we'd try for something in the bar. Any advice??
People will pack it since a) it's Opening Day b) it's a sellout and c) it will probably be cold.

chisoxfanatic
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Get there early and make sure at least someone in your group is standing in line at the gate all times!