PDA

View Full Version : Who Do you Dislike Less Yankees Or Red Sawx?

Thome25
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Hank Steinbrenner declaring war on Red Sox nation got me thinking. Out of the two evil empires in MLB who do you dislike LESS? (I call the Red Sawx the "little empire" because that's what they've become. If you can't beat 'em join 'em I guess.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a fan of either franchise by any means. But, I'm starting to pull for the Yankees in the whole Yankees/Red Sawx rivalry thing. I guess you could say I dislike the Yankees less and here's why:

The whole ESPN Red Sox/Boston love is beyond out of control. Their love of everything Red Sox...and hate for everything else is sickening. The fact that the Red Sox are operating (and spending) just like the Yankees is sickening as well.

Living here on the east coast, you can't swing a bat without hitting a Red Sox fan. There's so many of them. I went to DC last year and I couldn't stand at one monument or attraction without seeing about 5 of them. The Zoo down there was packed with nothing but Red Sox fans.

And it gets worse, their fans are about as annoying as they come. Think Cubs fans...but, on the east coast.....and with two WS rings recently and you have Red Sox fans.

Then there's the whole "SOX" thing. if you tell onyone on the eastern seaboard that you're a "SOX" fan they automatically say "oh yeah? you're a Red Sox fan huh?"

I've actually had people look at my WHITE Sox cap with the white S-O-X on it and say "What do you think of your Red Sox this year?"

Guess what people? The "SOX" are the "Chicago White Sox" that has been our name since our birth in 1900. The Red Sox didn't get their name until 1908. STOP calling the Red Sox "The Sox".

I hope the White Sox beat both their brains out when they play but, when the Yankees and Red Sawx play each other I hope the Yankees beat the snot out of the Red Sox.

Because I dislike the Yankees Less. What do you think?

doublem23
03-03-2008, 10:33 AM
No "Both" option?

chisox77
03-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't care for either.

:cool:

Thome25
03-03-2008, 10:43 AM
No "Both" option?

I don't care for either.

:cool:

I purposly left off a both option because we all dislike both....but, if you had to choose a side and delare who you dislike less when ther're against each other head to head.

I dislike EVERYTHING Red Sox. I hope the both go 0-162 but, then again I want the Yankees to go 19-143 and beat the Red Sox everytime they play.

spawn
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
They're both obnoxious. As I said in a previous thread, they can both kiss my ass.

wilburaga
03-03-2008, 10:55 AM
This lone voice in the wilderness says anyone, and I mean anyone, but the Yankees.

W

Mr.1Dog
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Both suck.

Rockin Robin
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Living in Boston, I'd say the Sawx. Their fans get annoying, but the team seems to be full of decent guys. I root for them after the good guys.

Mohoney
03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
I dislike EVERYTHING Red Sox. I hope they both go 0-162 but, then again I want the Yankees to go 19-143 and beat the Red Sox everytime they play.

Seconded.

TheOldRoman
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
New York is a team I love to hate (like the late 90's Indians). Boston is just a team I hate to much that I wish they would go away and never be seen again.

To put it in wrestling terms, the Yankees are like the Rock when he was a heel, and the Red Sox are William Regal.

asindc
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Living here on the east coast, you can't swing a bat without hitting a Red Sox fan. There's so many of them. I went to DC last year and I couldn't stand at one monument or attraction without seeing about 5 of them. The Zoo down there was packed with nothing but Red Sox fans.

And it gets worse, their fans are about as annoying as they come. Think Cubs fans...but, on the east coast.....and with two WS rings recently and you have Red Sox fans.

Well said.:thumbsup:

rdivaldi
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
4 years ago this would have been a no-brainer, now it's hard to choose. I'll say the Yankees for now, as I'm tired of a team that hasn't won a World Series in almost 10 years being so arrogant. I love asking Yankees fans if they've won a World Series in the 21st century and watching them turn red in the face.

voodoochile
03-03-2008, 12:01 PM
4 years ago this would have been a no-brainer, now it's hard to choose. I'll say the Yankees for now, as I'm tired of a team that hasn't won a World Series in almost 10 years being so arrogant. I love asking Yankees fans if they've won a World Series in the 21st century and watching them turn red in the face.

You could actually ask if they've won one in the third millennium if you really wanted to get their goat...:tongue:

Nellie_Fox
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
My recent distaste for the Red Sox cannot offset my long-standing hatred for the Yankees. When they play each other, I don't care who wins. I just wish I didn't have to hear about it endlessly.

Why do I have to choose? Why do I have to care about these two teams any more than I have to care about any other rivalry? Because ESPN has declared it to be the most important thing in sports?

Whitesox029
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Yankees. The Red Sox are the Cubs of the National League, and are therefore anathema. Both teams' fans are equally obnoxious, but the Yankee fans have a right to it with 26 world championships. Over the years they've put their money where their mouths are. The Red Sox only recently started actually winning World Series again, and their fans were obnoxious even before that. I shudder to think what would happen if the Cubs won. It would likely be even more unbearable, due to the proximity.

Fenway
03-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Boston fans are just misunderstood :whiner:

20 years ago we were lovable

-aXmdYP4l_I

kninchicago
03-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I hate Boston and it's fans about a million times more than the Yankees.

Honestly the Yankees don't bother me all that much.

#1swisher
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Yankees...is there a thread on "worst visiting fans"? I have a need to post in that thread.:D:

tstrike2000
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Right now it's a wash. Anyone in the AL East except those two.

tstrike2000
03-03-2008, 01:59 PM

20 years ago we were lovable

The same could've almost been said for Cubs fans 20 years ago, too. Times have changed.

Jerome
03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
It used to be Yankees. I used to even cheer for the Red Sox because I liked their whole role as underdog to the big bad yankees, who won all those series during the 90s

Well the last couple of years, specifically 04 has made me become somewhat of a yankees fan, which is not an easy task to do. Especially reading about how red sox fans came here last year and took over that one series. I simply cannot stand the Red Sox, Chris Berman's call at the end of the Sox-Sox series in 05 basically was what sealed the deal.

**** the red sox, **** the patriots, **** boston

thank God for that wonderful ending to the superbowl to bring them back to reality

asindc
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Yankees. The Red Sox are the Cubs of the National League, and are therefore anathema. Both teams' fans are equally obnoxious, but the Yankee fans have a right to it with 26 world championships. Over the years they've put their money where their mouths are. The Red Sox only recently started actually winning World Series again, and their fans were obnoxious even before that. I shudder to think what would happen if the Cubs won. It would likely be even more unbearable, due to the proximity.

Now you are beginning to understand East Coast Sox fans' pain of having to deal with the Red Cubs.

MUsoxfan
03-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Yankees...is there a thread on "worst visiting fans"? I have a need to post in that thread.:D:

I don't know. I went to a couple games in the Bronx last year and they were pretty subdued.....nice even. I'm not totally sold that many people across the country going to games wearing Yankee or Red Sox apparel are actual fans, rather people that just want to be seen.

asindc
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't know. I went to a couple games in the Bronx last year and they were pretty subdued.....nice even. I'm not totally sold that many people across the country going to games wearing Yankee or Red Sox apparel are actual fans, rather people that just want to be seen.

When I went to a Sox-Yanks game in 06, the Yanks fans were quite gracious towards me and other Sox fans in attendance. I had also gone on one of their fan boards to get suggestions on restaurants and received quite a few congrats and warm welcomes. Are there obnoxious Yanks fans out there? No doubt about it. But the Yanks fans I run into here and throughout the country seem much less whiny and self-absorbed than Boston fans.

LITTLE NELL
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
As Ive gotten older I have come to really respect the great teams who have won tons of championships like the Yankees (who I despised as a kid), the Montreal Canadiens, and to a lesser extent the Boston Celtics. Those teams were the true dynasties of the 20th century.

TDog
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
My recent distaste for the Red Sox cannot offset my long-standing hatred for the Yankees. When they play each other, I don't care who wins. I just wish I didn't have to hear about it endlessly.

Why do I have to choose? Why do I have to care about these two teams any more than I have to care about any other rivalry? Because ESPN has declared it to be the most important thing in sports?

That was well put.

If I had to choose, I would dislike the Yankees more. The Red Sox don't compare to the Yankees in my mind. For that matter, their fans don't compare to Cubs fans.

The Red Sox are a New England team. They have rabid fans in New England, as they should, and transplants around the country. The mystique of Cubfandom isn't limited to their own exclusive territory. In fact, the Cubs don't have any exclusive territory, which contributes mightily to making their behaviour so disgusting.

If I grew up in the Boston area (my father accepted a job with the Boston Container Company at the end of 1964, but didn't like the city and decided instead to work for Frigiking in Dallas), I would be a Red Sox fan, unquestionably. At a certain level, I can empathize with Red Sox fans.

The fact that I grew up in Northwest Indiana and people ask me why I'm not a Cubs fan guarantees that I will never be able to empathize with Cubs fans.

Boondock Saint
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Yankees, easily. And it's all because of the fans. Yankees fans are arrogant, but it's relatively understandable because they've got the most successful team in baseball history, possibly all of sports history. Red Sox fans are MORE arrogant today because of two freaking rings. Now that they've got their ring, they can't shut up about how everything to ever come out of Boston is the second coming.

Boondock Saint
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM

I agree. I went to a Sox-Yanks game last season, and we sat near a couple New Yorkers. We were trading jabs back and forth the whole game, as the lead changed hands several times. But it was always in good humor, and we ended up drinking a beer with the guys. I have to say (small sample size notwithstanding) that the Yankees fans I have encountered were alright.

spiffie
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Yankees, easily. And it's all because of the fans. Yankees fans are arrogant, but it's relatively understandable because they've got the most successful team in baseball history, possibly all of sports history. Red Sox fans are MORE arrogant today because of two freaking rings. Now that they've got their ring, they can't shut up about how everything to ever come out of Boston is the second coming.
Bingo. Yeah, the Yankees can be obnoxious, but at least they've done something to justify the arrogance. I mean, we think its a good taunt that they haven't won a title in this decade.

Red Sox fans however define their importance in relation to themselves. They have 2 World Series titles in 89 years and a lot of bandwagon fans who like to make asses of themselves in pretty new hats. At this point I'll root for the Packers, the Yankees, Duke, the Red Wings, the Pistons, the Knicks, the Giants, the Manning family, Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and anyone else you can think of this side of Bin Laden against anything Boston. I want a sequel to Cloverfield that consists of the monster destroying Fenway Park, the Gahhhhhden, and laying waste to Faneuil Hall.

Like Thome25 said I hope the Yankees go 19-143 and the Red Sox go 0-162.

Risk
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
**** em' both.:angry:

Risk

Red Barchetta
03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Well said.:thumbsup:

I second that! I see a lot of Red Sawx fans since I moved to the Sarasota area and my friends, if you ever wonder what Cub fans would be like if they won a World Series, check out a Red Sawx fan.

Boston is pretty much the center of the Sports Universe right now with the Red Sox and Patriots, so it's something we need to endure for awhile.

I love to "hate" the Yankees, however I'm really starting to hate Red Sox Nation. :cool:

Sox It To Em
03-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm basically indifferent to the Yankees, but I despise Boston.

Railsplitter
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I have no dislike for the Red Sox.

chisoxfanatic
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
How do you misunderstand douchebaggery?

At this point I'll root for the Packers, the Yankees, Duke, the Red Wings, the Pistons, the Knicks, the Giants, the Manning family, Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and anyone else you can think of this side of Bin Laden against anything Boston.

Same here. I'm SICK of them.

Fenway
03-03-2008, 11:22 PM

Same here. I'm SICK of them.

This happened in my hometown.....I'm ill

Red Sox mob beats up Yankees fan in Cambridge (http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/homepage/x1637136069)

:angry:

A group of men some with Irish accents beat up a 23-year-old Cambridge man and sent him to the hospital after they spotted him sporting a Yankees baseball cap.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-04-2008, 03:30 AM

You are my hero.

:bandance:

Cowch44
03-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Well, I live in Utah, and have for about 5 years now. This has to be one of the most frustrating places to be an actually fan of any team. With the fact that the closest baseball team to here is the Rockies, the fans here are almost ALL bandwagon jumpers. That being said I've seen far too many "Red Sox fans" rubbing their WS wins in my face. So I'll have to go with Yankees. Of course if the Yankees were to win it all this year, those same "Red Sox fans" would probably become "Yankees fans" and rub that WS win in my face.

On a side note, it was almost unbearable to see these people become "White Sox fans" after 05. Ugh, I need to get back to the Midwest.

kraut83
03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Granted this was in 04, before the Sawx won the series, but my buddy & I drove up to Boston to see the Sox for 2 games, and the fans we sat around couldn't have been nicer or more knowledgeable. They definitely seemed like real fans and not the ridiculous "nation" that we have come to know and love.

Yankee fans were a different story though. I had an O's mini plan for 5 years when I lived out there, and I would never opt for a Yankee game at the beginning of the season because their fans were such asshats.

In short, Boston is the tallest midget of the two.

russ99
03-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I have a long simmering hate for the Yankees, but recently the Red Sox (and their boneheaded fans who fill the Cell) eclipsed them.

The Red Sox were like a mosquito, a minor annoyance, but now it's like we stepped on a nest.

aryzner
03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I know this is nitpicky, but I hate it when you hear someone refer to "The Sox," a lot of people always seem to immediately think "Red Sox."