PDA

View Full Version : Ohka for long relief?

The_Floridian
03-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I know it's early, but I haven't seen anyone mention Tomo Ohka as one of our potential 12 pitchers out of camp. It seems to me he'd be as good a candidate for long relief as Masett would. Not to mention the fact that he might be useful as a spot starter, considering how much experience (9 seasons) he has at the major league level.

Obviously, as I say, it's early, and three scoreless innings in two appearances doesn't mean we should definitely break camp with him. But I would say he has at least earned the opportunity to be part of the discussion.

jabrch
03-02-2008, 10:39 PM
I highly doubt it...with Floyd and Massett out of options, I'd be surprised if they get cut for Ohka.

voodoochile
03-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I highly doubt it...with Floyd and Massett out of options, I'd be surprised if they get cut for Ohka.

Well, if Floyd isn't a starter, it will mean he got packaged with Crede for a starter, IMO.

Both Masset and Ohka look solid early in spring training (or as solid as one can look this early in the preseason... :tongue: )

The_Floridian
03-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Agreed. But MacDougal still has an option. Couldn't we break camp with all three of these guys (Massett, Floyd, Ohka)? I mean, I know two long relievers isn't something you really NEED. But if the whole purpose of the 12 pitchers out of camp is to have an extra arm in the pen, shouldn't Ohka have some consideration as that extra arm? Seems as good an option as MacDougal or Sisco.

cards press box
03-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Well, if Floyd isn't a starter, it will mean he got packaged with Crede for a starter, IMO.

On tonight's CLTV Sportspage, Bob Sakamoto suggested as much, noting that the Sox might try and package Crede, Uribe and Floyd for an upgrade at starter, like the Giants' Tim Lincecum.

Whitesox029
03-03-2008, 02:02 AM
On tonight's CLTV Sportspage, Bob Sakamoto suggested as much, noting that the Sox might try and package Crede, Uribe and Floyd for an upgrade at starter, like the Giants' Tim Lincecum.
I'd love to see Lincecum in a Sox uniform, but if not, I don't see anything wrong with considering Ohka, and here's why:
As I see it, the starters will likely be Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Danks, and Floyd. (Ozzie and Kenny seem very set on this, so it would take either someone having a really great spring, or a trade to change it).
So then, we've got probably 7 spots in the pen, with Jenks, Thornton, Dotel and Linebrink being veritable locks. That leaves three spots, which could conceivably go to Ohka, Masset, and Logan, if Floridian is right in saying that MacDougal has an option left. I don't know whether Sisco has an option, but I do know that we can do without him, in my humble opinion, so I wouldn't lose much sleep if we had to waive him. Therefore, it's reasonable to say that Ohka is in the running if he opens some eyes. After all, that's what non-roster invitees are for, right? Remember Pablo's spring in '05, Loaiza's in '03, etc.

cws05champ
03-03-2008, 06:54 AM
If we got Lincecum for that package I would be extactic!!:bandance::bandance:

Jjav829
03-03-2008, 06:59 AM

Maybe the Sox could try to trade Josh Fields for David Wright, Orlando Cabrera for Jose Reyes, Danny Richard for Chase Utley, Paul Konerko for Albert Pujols, etc. etc.

Maybe hell will freeze over today, too.

KyWhiSoxFan
03-03-2008, 07:10 AM
If I recall correctly, KW has said that Ohka was obtained as a veteran presence in Charlotte. That said, he could turn heads and land a spot on the team if he excells in spring training. If he does make the team, that really puts a lot of pressure on the team with what to do with Masset, Wasserman, and MacDougal.

Huisj
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Crede, Uribe and Floyd for Lincecum? Is this a joke? Not a chance. Why would SF give up a pitcher with huge upside and who has already done more in his one year than Floyd has done in his career for Floyd, a guy with back problem and no contract, and an underachiever like Uribe?

Sargeant79
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM

That would be an absolute steal.

btrain929
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Make sure you don't forget to turn the "fair trades" option off of your MLB 2k7 first.....

FedEx227
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Make sure you don't forget to turn the "fair trades" option off of your MLB 2k7 first.....

Yeah, possibly the override trades option as well.

Lincecum for Floyd, Crede and Uribe... yeah right, keep dreaming.

soxinem1
03-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Maybe the Sox could try to trade Josh Fields for David Wright, Orlando Cabrera for Jose Reyes, Danny Richard for Chase Utley, Paul Konerko for Albert Pujols, etc. etc.

Maybe hell will freeze over today, too.

http://www.wisebread.com/files/fruganomics/wisebread_imce/Hell_freezing_over.jpg

Hell has frozen. When do Reyes, Wright, Utley, and Pujols report to camp????:smile:

spiffie
03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
There's a reason Bob Sakamoto deals mostly with high school sports...:scratch:

Craig Grebeck
03-05-2008, 01:58 PM
:scratch:

Do you really believe this ****?

skottyj242
03-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Kramers buddy? There is no way in hell the White Sox are getting Lincecum.