PDA

View Full Version : Frank thinks 08 Jays as good as 93 White Sox

Fenway
03-02-2008, 08:08 PM
NY Daily News looks at the Blue Jays and Frank says the team reminds him of the "best team I ever played on....the 93 White Sox"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/03/02/2008-03-02_blue_jays_believe_this_is_their_year.html

Corlose 15
03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I know he didn't play much but technically he was on the 2005 team.

Also, I always thought the '94 team was better than the '93 team with Franco actually providing some protection behind Thomas.

Railsplitter
03-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Also, I always thought the '94 team was better than the '93 team with Franco actually providing some protection behind Thomas.
I still say that 1994 team was the best Sox team I ever saw.

jabrch
03-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I would expect Frank to say this...So would his Jays teammates going into the season.

But their rotation is shakey. Halliday is coming off of a very pedestrian season. Burnett is always a ?. Chacin is a 5+ ERA guy. And it goes downhill from there. I'd take the 93 Sox over them any day.

Jerome
03-02-2008, 10:06 PM
The AL East is stacked

Save McCuddy's
03-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Sorry Frank --

There's none in your 2008 Toronto lineup anything like you in 1993.

I'll give Halladay the nod, although McDowell would have battled him, but our next three blow out Burnett and company.

Sox in 5.

Jjav829
03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I would expect Frank to say this...So would his Jays teammates going into the season.

But their rotation is shakey. Halliday is coming off of a very pedestrian season. Burnett is always a ?. Chacin is a 5+ ERA guy. And it goes downhill from there. I'd take the 93 Sox over them any day.

It goes downhill from there? If you're counting Chacin as their #3, then it goes way up from there. Dustin McGowan is the 3rd best pitcher in that rotation right now. He may be higher by the end of the season.

Fenway
03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
The AL East is stacked

IF the Jays can stay healthy....3 team race

and then Tampa Bay just might really make things interesting.

Boston on paper looks like they should be OK

Yankees? Could be very good.....they also could be 4th

pmck003
03-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Sorry Frank --

There's none in your 2008 Toronto lineup anything like you in 1993.

I'll give Halladay the nod, although McDowell would have battled him, but our next three blow out Burnett and company.

Sox in 5.

I think Burnett pitching at 100% health is better than Halladay. The question is if he is able to pitch or not.

jabrch
03-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I think Burnett pitching at 100% health is better than Halladay. The question is if he is able to pitch or not.

Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and AJ Burnett 100% healthy for a full season...

Corlose 15
03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
I still say that 1994 team was the best Sox team I ever saw.

That was an awesome team. McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez, Bere all pitching well. Frank having a monster season, Franco and Ventura hitting behind him. Sigh....what might have been.:(:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1994.shtml

Also, not to hijack this or anything but, going back to those mid to early nineties teams and looking at Franks stats you're reminded what a phenomenal hitter he was. His numbers are mind boggling, he had the mix of power, average, OBP that few other hitters could touch. In 1994 his OBP was .487 with a .353 avg, 34 HR, 101 RBI, 109BB, only 61K in only 113 games!

I remember thinking he was having a crappy season in 1998 because he hit .265 which was so uncharacteristic of him but he still hit 29 HR, drove in 109, and walked 110 times.

The only problem is he's only made 5 All star games.:rolleyes: He didn't even go in 2000 when he finished 2nd in MVP voting to the juicer.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml

PKalltheway
03-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Yankees? Could be very good.....they also could be 4th
Yankees in 4th? I'll believe it when I actually see it. I'll be happy when it finally happens, though.

santo=dorf
03-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm quite surprised by that comment too.

PK gets ripped for saying Clayton is the best SS he ever played with (which is a good debate) and most of the retaliations are about Uribe's defense in the World Series. Are these same people going to mock Frank for saying the 1993 team was better than the 2005 team? Doubt it.

Frater Perdurabo
03-03-2008, 09:03 AM

PK gets ripped for saying Clayton is the best SS he ever played with (which is a good debate) and most of the retaliations are about Uribe's defense in the World Series. Are these same people going to mock Frank for saying the 1993 team was better than the 2005 team? Doubt it.

No.

Frank made his comment to compliment his current teammates.

PK made his Clayton comment to compliment an opponent with whom he previously played.

soxfan13
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM

It will never happen!!!:redneck

jabrch
03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and AJ Burnett 100% healthy for a full season...

How timely...

Pitching coach Brad Arnsberg said Sunday that A.J. Burnett has been unable to throw curveballs because of a torn nail on his right index finger.

Burnett is said to have broken the nail by getting it caught in a car door prior to camp, but was able to throw two innings Sunday. "It makes it pretty tough to get to that pitch. It's pretty tender," Arnsberg said.
Source: Toronto Star (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Baseball/article/308745)

FedEx227
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
How timely...

And so it begins...

palehozenychicty
03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Honestly, how on earth did that '03 Marlins team win the series, as AJ Burnett and Pavano are the biggest wusses in recent baseball history? I know how, but it's crazy. These guys make Prior look like Ripken. :scratch:

Fenway
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Honestly, how on earth did that '03 Marlins team win the series, as AJ Burnett and Pavano are the biggest wusses in recent baseball history? I know how, but it's crazy. These guys make Prior look like Ripken. :scratch:

The Yankees were mentally exhausted after beating Boston....the Marlins were playing with the house money after beating the Cubs.

David Wells getting hurt in the WS just killed the Yankees.

tstrike2000
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
NY Daily News looks at the Blue Jays and Frank says the team reminds him of the "best team I ever played on....the 93 White Sox"

I hope they are and then we can return the favor in the '08 ALCS.

palehozenychicty
03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
The Yankees were mentally exhausted after beating Boston....the Marlins were playing with the house money after beating the Cubs.

David Wells getting hurt in the WS just killed the Yankees.

That was exactly what happened, was timing, along with the Marlins spectacular defense and clutch plays. My statement was more about Burnett and Pavano lacking chutzpah and Pavano, especially, figuring into a championship rotation.

munchman33
03-03-2008, 01:20 PM

What in the world are you talking about? The Jays might have the best staff outside of Boston.

palehozenychicty
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
What in the world are you talking about? The Jays might have the best staff outside of Boston.

Indeed, if they can stay healthy. McGowan made tremenous strides last year, but Halladay, Burnett, and Chacin are glass sculptures. The left side of the infield is too with the old Cards duo.

asindc
03-03-2008, 01:50 PM
That was an awesome team. McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez, Bere all pitching well. Frank having a monster season, Franco and Ventura hitting behind him. Sigh....what might have been.:(:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1994.shtml

Also, not to hijack this or anything but, going back to those mid to early nineties teams and looking at Franks stats you're reminded what a phenomenal hitter he was. His numbers are mind boggling, he had the mix of power, average, OBP that few other hitters could touch. In 1994 his OBP was .487 with a .353 avg, 34 HR, 101 RBI, 109BB, only 61K in only 113 games!

I remember thinking he was having a crappy season in 1998 because he hit .265 which was so uncharacteristic of him but he still hit 29 HR, drove in 109, and walked 110 times.

The only problem is he's only made 5 All star games.:rolleyes: He didn't even go in 2000 when he finished 2nd in MVP voting to the juicer.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml

I also agree that 1994 was the best Sox team in my lifetime. That team is the reason why I had cursed Reinsdorf's name repeatedly for the rest of the decade. Until 2005, that was the only team I was convinced by mid-season would win it all. I wasn't even convinced about the 1993 team (hopeful, of course, but not convinced).

Based on what the 2008 Jays seem to be offering, I would take the 1993 Sox in 6 games. Even with their pitching being fully healthy all season, the 93 Sox pitching had fewer question marks, and the Sox had more offensive firepower.

Jjav829
03-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Because Josh Beckett was crazy good in the playoffs.

santo=dorf
03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
No.

Frank made his comment to compliment his current teammates.

PK made his Clayton comment to compliment an opponent with whom he previously played.
So it's better to be full of hot air and lie just to avoid hurting anyone feelings.

Your point about Frank complimenting his current teammates would be no different if Frank said they were better than 2005 team, the best team he ever played on.

If Frank Thomas posted that the 1993 team was better than the 2005 team on WSI, his post would get moved to the roadhouse and he would be called an idiot and the Red Foreman tag would be in full use. :redneck

HomeFish
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
You know the most underrated reason the Yankees lost the 2003 World Series? Aaron Boone's terrible defense. How many times did Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo makes Boone look like a little leaguer while going for infield singles or beating him out in rundowns?

Boone won the ALCS for the Yanks...but cost them the World Series.

chisoxfanatic
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
How great would it be for Toronto to win the division this year?! I for one would enjoy that big time.

sircaffey1
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Indeed, if they can stay healthy. McGowan made tremenous strides last year, but Halladay, Burnett, and Chacin are glass sculptures. The left side of the infield is too with the old Cards duo.

Halladay is not a glass sculpture, and Chacin's not even in the rotation if 2007 has any say.

Halladay, Burnett, McGowan (27 GS 12-10 4.08 ERA), Marcum (25 GS 12-6 4.13 ERA), Litsch (20 GS 7-9 3.81 ERA).

Ryan, Accardo, Downs, Janssen in the pen.

The Jays' staff is undoubtedly top 5 in the AL even if Burnett again misses time.

TheOldRoman
03-03-2008, 09:13 PM
So it's better to be full of hot air and lie just to avoid hurting anyone feelings.
No, not even close. For one, he wasn't asked who was better. He was asked about multiple errors by Clayton that changed the game, and instead of saying "we got some breaks, but we needed to execute to win" he came out of nowhere to say Clayton was the best.

And also, he wouldn't be "full of hot air" by saying Uribe was better if the question was posed. He would be telling the truth, and it isn't even close.

As for Frank's comments, they come as no surprise considering the source. Maybe he feels as he wasn't really a member of the 05 team, but those comments are pretty dumb. Not only was the 05 team a lot better than 93, but I don't think these Jays are close to the 93 Sox.