PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing Orlando Cabrera

StatManDu
03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Some bits I found on one of the latest Sox using the stats from yahoo, the Sox and my personal files

TheVulture
03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Nice, interesting summary.

ChiSox65
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Good stuff.

:smile:

ChiTownTrojan
03-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Cabrera's number with runners on base and early in the count are more evidence that we need to keep him out of the leadoff spot. He's a great 2-hitter, but not meant to be a leadoff guy.

champagne030
03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
The White Sox would be in a better position to contend this season if Cabrera was still in LA and Garland was in Chicago. Cabrera is an upgrade over Uribe, but not as much as the downgrade from Garland to Floyd. :(:

TomBradley72
03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
We can argue the logic over the trade...but in terms of simply assessing Cabrera as our starting SS...I'd say he's the best we've had in 15+ years (Guillen before his knee injury) and possibly longer than that (back to Aparicio's final years with the WSox).

Gold Glove defense, solid #2 hitter, leadership on/off the field...he's a significant upgrade over Uribe (if Uribe played every year like 2005...different story).

I'm not sure if we even have an "organizational philosophy" any more...but if defense and "small ball" are still in the equation...he's a perfect fit.

Corlose 15
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
The White Sox would be in a better position to contend this season if Cabrera was still in LA and Garland was in Chicago. Cabrera is an upgrade over Uribe, but not as much as the downgrade from Garland to Floyd. :(:

Why don't you wait a little bit before crowning Floyd as the next Mike Porzio? He finished strong last year against some good lineups and everything I've heard about him coming out of Tucson is that the confidence is starting to match the talent (which I know you believe he doesn't have any of).

Whitesox029
03-03-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm not so sure that's true...think about how much of an upgrade he really is, not in terms of how good Cabrera's been (certainly in the top 20% of offensive shortstops in the league, and top-tier defensively) but in terms of how bad Uribe's been. His average has gone down every year he's been with the Sox, and there's really no evidence that he could have a breakout year.
Floyd, on the other hand, is a young pitcher selected in the first round who could most certainly have a breakout year, as many late-blooming starters do. Take for example...well, Jon Garland. A first round pick, his breakout year was '05, when he posted 18 wins, and had an ERA below 4 for the first (and only) time in his career as a full-time starter. At the time, he was 25 going on 26. Gavin Floyd was also a first round pick. He's had a few seasons in the majors, but hasn't shown anything particularly spectacular in the majors yet. He's also just turned 25. Obviously they're not mirror images of each other, but you can't rule out the possibility that Floyd will come of age as a major leaguer this year, as Garland did in '05 (after one full season under Ozzie and Coop, incidentally).

ArkanSox
03-03-2008, 05:42 AM
I knew he was good, but Cabrera's numbers are even better than imagined. It will be a lotta fun watching him this year. Glad he's on our team.

SOXfnNlansing
03-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I knew he was a good hitter, but that was some good reading