PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training so far

LITTLE NELL
03-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I know we are only 4 games into the ST season and and runs come in bunches in the Arizona air but is anybody impressed as I am with our hitting so far. I think with Cabrerra and Swisher this team is going to be an offensive force this year. Of course anything will be an improvement over 07.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I just got back from four days in Boise covering the boys state basketball championships so I have not been able to follow things as closely as I'd like...but the general impression that I have from the box scores and brief recaps is that the pitchers who got bombed last year appear to be following the same path so far this early spring season.

Specifically, MacDougal, Sisco, Day, Logan and Floyd.

Granted it's VERY early but this is obviously not good news either.

On the other side Contreras and Buehrle have looked good in the early returns, which is encouraging...especially for Jose.

It may simply be coming time when the Sox have to admit they made a mistake with MacDougal, bite the bullet and cut him.

Lip

JB98
03-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I know we are only 4 games into the ST season and and runs come in bunches in the Arizona air but is anybody impressed as I am with our hitting so far. I think with Cabrerra and Swisher this team is going to be an offensive force this year. Of course anything will be an improvement over 07.

I do think we are going to be in the top half of the American League offensively this year.

Can we pitch enough? Time will tell....

veeter
03-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I just got back from four days in Boise covering the boys state basketball championships so I have not been able to follow things as closely as I'd like...but the general impression that I have from the box scores and brief recaps is that the pitchers who got bombed last year appear to be following the same path so far this early spring season.

On the other side Contreras and Buehrle have looked good in the early returns, which is encouraging...especially for Jose.

It may simply be coming time when the Sox have to admit they made a mistake with MacDougal, bite the bullet and cut him.

LipFloyd has not been bombed at all. It's early, but it's clear MacDougal has problems. Sisco and Day just aren't very good. Boone needs to get it together if Thornton has an arm problem.

Craig Grebeck
03-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Lip,

If we have one option left on MacDougal, what would the point be in cutting him? Send him down and hope he can regain his stuff.

We were dumb enough to give up Cortes for him - we shouldn't give up yet.

oeo
03-01-2008, 08:06 PM

Lip

Go check out the game thread...KRS1 said that the Arizona announcers were very impressed by Floyd's stuff today (specifically his curve ball, which is a very good sign in Arizona). It appears he had some trouble with the strike zone early, but settled down.

Besides, one start does not a Spring Training make. Just like Contreras' good start doesn't mean jack, neither does Floyd's so-so one.

Also, there's no reason to cut MacDougal yet because he still has an option left. If he could just get his head screwed on straight, he could be a very big part of this team.

TomBradley72
03-01-2008, 08:53 PM
MacDougal is on the brink of joining Koch, Ritchie, Navarro, Wright, etc. in some of the worst pitchers we've had in our recent history.

santo=dorf
03-01-2008, 08:58 PM
MacDougal is on the brink of joining Koch, Ritchie, Navarro, Wright, etc. in some of the worst pitchers we've had in our recent history.
So 2006 doesn't count? Masset was worse than him last year as well.

RadioheadRocks
03-01-2008, 09:02 PM

I second that emotion.

Corlose 15
03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Did I read the recap correctly that said that Floyd gave up two outfield singles that the batter turned into doubles his speed today?

That would seem to imply that Floyd wasn't really hit hard today.

rdivaldi
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Why does Logan get brought up in this? The kid pitched decently in the second half of the season last year and is still extremely young. As for Mac, Sisco and Day, well..........:mad:

btrain929
03-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Did I read the recap correctly that said that Floyd gave up two outfield singles that the batter turned into doubles his speed today?

That would seem to imply that Floyd wasn't really hit hard today.

So this is me probably making something out of nothing, but it did catch my eye...

If you go to the homepage on the White Sox website, the first two mini-pictures previewing articles are of Gavin Floyd. In the first one, he looks like the pale, dear-in-headlights Floyd that we first saw in his first outing against Minnesota last year that is just praying this his pitch doesn't get murdered. But the second picture, his facial demeanor looks a little bit more cocky and confident, more like "see if you can hit this...."

We all know the talent Gavin has with decent movement on his FB and a filthy curveball, but us, as well as Ozzie, say he just needs to believe in himself. Again, one simple picture won't prove this to be true, but I think there's a worlds difference between his 2 pictures, and hopefully that difference will reflect in his stats this year.

Craig Grebeck
03-01-2008, 09:59 PM
So this is me probably making something out of nothing, but it did catch my eye...

If you go to the homepage on the White Sox website, the first two mini-pictures previewing articles are of Gavin Floyd. In the first one, he looks like the pale, dear-in-headlights Floyd that we first saw in his first outing against Minnesota last year that is just praying this his pitch doesn't get murdered. But the second picture, his facial demeanor looks a little bit more cocky and confident, more like "see if you can hit this...."

We all know the talent Gavin has with decent movement on his FB and a filthy curveball, but us, as well as Ozzie, say he just needs to believe in himself. Again, one simple picture won't prove this to be true, but I think there's a worlds difference between his 2 pictures, and hopefully that difference will reflect in his stats this year.
Uhh...:scratch:

He can still look scared ****less as long as he locates that curveball.

btrain929
03-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Uhh...:scratch:

He can still look scared ****less as long as he locates that curveball.

Point is, if he looks scared ****less, he won't locate his curveball.

But if he's confident and has that snare on his face, that means he's feeling confident, and will greatly increase his chances of doing what he needs to do.

I already mentioned that this isn't something to make a big deal about, just something that caught MY eye.

WhiteSox5187
03-02-2008, 01:44 AM
I think it's too early to get excited or down on someone yet. Hopefully Mac can solve any problems he's having and Floyd can get some confidence. Let's see, there's a lot of baseball to be played.

goon
03-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Masset pitches three scoreless innings today in the split squad meeting with Arizona giving up 3 hits and a walk, also recording a strikeout. I actually like him more than some of the other fringe guys, Broadway as well.

Swisher hit his first homer of ST, too.

Scratch that, Swisher knocks out two. Mercy.

oeo
03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Swisher hit his first homer of ST, too.

Scratch that, Swisher knocks out two. Mercy.

Add a triple.

Save McCuddy's
03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Wondering what's up with MacDougal...

He looked last year like he was scared ****less to throw the ball in the zone. Stuff must be m.i.a. or he's hurt, confused or all 3. It certainly didn't look like things were just going to work themselves out.

What could the problem be? Because in 2006 he looked like the real deal.

oeo
03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Wondering what's up with MacDougal...

He looked last year like he was scared ****less to throw the ball in the zone. Stuff must be m.i.a. or he's hurt, confused or all 3. It certainly didn't look like things were just going to work themselves out.

What could the problem be? Because in 2006 he looked like the real deal.

-His stuff hasn't been missing.
-He was hurt for a good portion of last year, but didn't tell anyone.

He just can't throw strikes. It's all in his head.

soxfan21
03-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Hope Javy does a little better in his next outing than he did today. I think it was 4 earned runs in 2 1/3 innings pitched. I understand he was working on some stuff, but I just hope he progresses a little bit as spring training goes on.

Save McCuddy's
03-02-2008, 07:10 PM
If it was obvious to me sitting on a couch at home, how did MacDougal keep the fact that he was hurt from the professionals that saw him every day?

I'm not disputing the fact that he might well have been hurt -- just scary that neither Ozzie nor Coop discerned it.

Flight #24
03-02-2008, 07:51 PM
the general impression that I have from the box scores and brief recaps is that the pitchers who got bombed last year appear to be following the same path so far this early spring season.

Lip
Good news to me is that the Sox have better options and really only need Floyd to contribute out of that whole group(one could argue Logan too, but with linebrink & dotel even that's lessened).

Not so last year.

ChicagoG19
03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I like what konerko has been doing. We def. need his bat in the middle of that lineup after all the lost scoring opportunities last year.

Corlose 15
03-02-2008, 08:20 PM
I liken Swisher's addition, and to a lesser extent Cabrera's to adding Thome into the lineup in '06. It took some pressure off of Dye, Konerko, Pierzynski and they all were able to produce some big numbers.

Last year once they started slow, the pressure mounted and those three felt the need to get 3 hits every at bat. With more productive hitters at SS and CF/LF it'll let those guys relax and just play and I think the offense has a big bounce back year.

btrain929
03-02-2008, 08:39 PM
I liken Swisher's addition, and to a lesser extent Cabrera's to adding Thome into the lineup in '06. It took some pressure off of Dye, Konerko, Pierzynski and they all were able to produce some big numbers.

Last year once they started slow, the pressure mounted and those three felt the need to get 3 hits every at bat. With more productive hitters at SS and CF/LF it'll let those guys relax and just play and I think the offense has a big bounce back year.

Very true. At the beginning of the year, there was so much pressure on Dye/Konerko/Thome because nobody in front of them or behind them were doing much of anything. Now put a Cabrera and possibly Swisher in front of them, and/or Swisher, Fields, and Quentin behind them, that should take some pressure off of them, in turn hopefully bringing them back to their norms, offensively.