PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea for discussion: Trade with Reds?

Taliesinrk
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
It was discovered that Alex Gonzalez has a broken knee today. Does this open up some trade possibilities for Juanie?

EDIT: How dumb. I meant for this to go in What's the Score? Sorry. Mods please move.

Scottiehaswheels
02-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Dusty Baker as coach: check

Marginal veteran SS available in trade: check

I say very probable

doublem23
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I guess, but I'm not sure how much Uribe would net us in a trade. :dunno:

Doubtful we'd get a real solid piece of the pie here, since our main weaknesses are potentially major weaknesses (pitching, lead-off)

Taliesinrk
02-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Dusty Baker as coach: check

Marginal veteran SS available in trade: check

I say very probable

Well if so, what pieces do they have that we want?

Taliesinrk
02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I guess, but I'm not sure how much Uribe would net us in a trade. :dunno:

Doubtful we'd get a real solid piece of the pie here, since our main weaknesses are potentially major weaknesses (pitching, lead-off)

Is Freel still avaliable?

oeo
02-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Why is everyone in such a rush to trade Uribe? It's $4.5 million for one year, so he's not bogging us down salary-wise. He can make a good utility man.

Is Freel still avaliable?

First of all...for Uribe? Uribe will net less than Iguchi did last year.

Second...that's just what we need: another outfielder. One that can't stay healthy, to boot. Keep Uribe...we're not losing anything by doing so. And the only gain will be shedding a few million off the payroll...whoopee.

Scottiehaswheels
02-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Well if so, what pieces do they have that we want?For Uribe? Probably a couple marginal A/AA power arms for the bullpen is the best we could ask for... I have no idea of the Reds farm system however..

Taliesinrk
02-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Why is everyone in such a rush to trade Uribe? It's $4.5 million for one year, so he's not bogging us down salary-wise. He can make a good utility man.

First of all...for Uribe? Uribe will net less than Iguchi did last year.

Second...that's just what we need: another outfielder. One that can't stay healthy, to boot. Keep Uribe...we're not losing anything by doing so. And the only gain will be shedding a few million off the payroll...whoopee.

Uribe was just the most plausible to me. Bottom line is that we have a log-jam of MINFs and I would think that 1 would go before the season starts. I happen to like Uribe.. just thought that he'd be the most likely to be traded.

WhiteOut05
02-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Uribe, in my opinion has positioned himself atop the list of potential players at 2B. So on one hand, I see no need to rush a trade here. Let them come to us.

Another option is this, San Francisco may be looking for a SS as well because Vizquel is hurt too. A package with Crede and Uribe, two starters from last season, and the world series team, would net us more than Crede alone.
SF seems like another good option for Juan. That would give the Giants the three best defenders from our Championship squad (Rowand, Joe, Uribe).

But again, I wouldn't mind if Uribe keeps up his play at second and wins the job. Anderson is also giving some good first impressions.

btrain929
02-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Uribe, in my opinion has positioned himself atop the list of potential players at 2B. So on one hand, I see no need to rush a trade here. Let them come to us.

Another option is this, San Francisco may be looking for a SS as well because Vizquel is hurt too. A package with Crede and Uribe, two starters from last season, and the world series team, would net us more than Crede alone.
SF seems like another good option for Juan. That would give the Giants the three best defenders from our Championship squad (Rowand, Joe, Uribe).

But again, I wouldn't mind if Uribe keeps up his play at second and wins the job. Anderson is also giving some good first impressions.

Does anyone here remember Juan Uribe of the past 2 years (lazy defense and abortion-like offense)??

If so, can you please explain why everybody and their mom wanted him out of the starting SS position, but now wants him as our starting 2b???? How many ****ing seasons do we have to give him to get his act together? It's either bench player this year and he's gone in '09, or trade him now when there's somewhat of an interest for him, in my opinion.

oeo
02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Does anyone here remember Juan Uribe of the past 2 years (lazy defense and abortion-like offense)??

If so, can you please explain why everybody and their mom wanted him out of the starting SS position, but now wants him as our starting 2b???? How many ****ing seasons do we have to give him to get his act together? It's either bench player this year and he's gone in '09, or trade him now when there's somewhat of an interest for him, in my opinion.

Well, it appears losing his job has given him some energy. Today he legged out an infield single and tried to stretch a double into a triple. I can't tell you the last time I've seen either of those things happen.

You can say, 'it's just Spring Training,' but this is effort we're talking about, and Uribe seems to be showing plenty of it so far.

This doesn't mean I want him to be our 2B, but keeping him around isn't going to be a bad thing. And if he wins the job (which he has to be leading right now), then he wins the job. He better keep it up, or he'll lose it just as quickly, though.

Sargeant79
02-29-2008, 06:45 PM

Thank you. :gulp:

southsideirish71
03-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, it appears losing his job has given him some energy. Today he legged out an infield single and tried to stretch a double into a triple. I can't tell you the last time I've seen either of those things happen.

You can say, 'it's just Spring Training,' but this is effort we're talking about, and Uribe seems to be showing plenty of it so far.

This doesn't mean I want him to be our 2B, but keeping him around isn't going to be a bad thing. And if he wins the job (which he has to be leading right now), then he wins the job. He better keep it up, or he'll lose it just as quickly, though.

And when he wins the starting job at 2nd, and starts spinning himself into the ground trying to park every single pitch hitting his .220 to .240 telling Farmer Profundo before every game will we be happy. When he fights for a job, he performs fine. When given the job he becomes the lazy Juan we all know. He was lazy, talented, but lazy at Colorado. He comes here, fights for a utility role. Does great. Gets the job, then goes into a coma as he gets more comfortable. And dont use the "motivation by his FA status", because last year was his last guaranteed year and he was rotten.

oeo
03-01-2008, 12:48 PM
And when he wins the starting job at 2nd, and starts spinning himself into the ground trying to park every single pitch hitting his .220 to .240 telling Farmer Profundo before every game will we be happy. When he fights for a job, he performs fine. When given the job he becomes the lazy Juan we all know. He was lazy, talented, but lazy at Colorado. He comes here, fights for a utility role. Does great. Gets the job, then goes into a coma as he gets more comfortable. And dont use the "motivation by his FA status", because last year was his last guaranteed year and he was rotten.

Did you just skip this part, or what?
He better keep it up, or he'll lose it just as quickly, though.Unlike the last few years, he has two guys right behind him that can step into his role. If he doesn't perform, he loses his job. That should be enough motivation, don't you think? And if it's not, then he'll be riding the pine.

This competition doesn't end at Opening Day. Whoever wins the job can just as easily lose it if they're not getting the job done. The same goes with the outfield situation.

The depth of this team is one of the main things that really has me excited about this year. Some guys will be fighting to keep their jobs all year, which should be enough reason to give 110% everyday.

Optipessimism
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Did you just skip this part, or what?
Unlike the last few years, he has two guys right behind him that can step into his role. If he doesn't perform, he loses his job. That should be enough motivation, don't you think? And if it's not, then he'll be riding the pine.

This competition doesn't end at Opening Day. Whoever wins the job can just as easily lose it if they're not getting the job done. The same goes with the outfield situation.

The depth of this team is one of the main things that really has me excited about this year. Some guys will be fighting to keep their jobs all year, which should be enough reason to give 110% everyday.

Uribe is just a waste. I'm sure Richar can hit around .230 with some power. Hell, didn't he do that in limited action last year? And he also shows much, much, much better plate discipline. Plus he should only improve as he learns more. Alexei probably is going to need some time at AA/AAA, but even if he doesn't go down, he has too much potential to sit behind Uribe anywhere. Uribe really has no business doing anything other than backing up in the IF, but even then I don't want him around at $4.5 million. Use the money elsewhere.

About Uribe fighting/competing, he's had every damn opportunity to do that for four years now, going on five. Get his ass out of here, pronto. If someone would take that contract and give us nothing at all of value in return I'd be ecstatic.

SoxNation05
03-01-2008, 06:01 PM

Amen Buddy. Amen.

soxfan13
03-02-2008, 07:19 AM

The thing that really bothers me about Uribe is that he seems like the type of player that will go all out if he is pursuing a job. Once he gets that job security he falls back into his laziness. IMO

cws05champ
03-02-2008, 04:27 PM
For Uribe? Probably a couple marginal A/AA power arms for the bullpen is the best we could ask for... I have no idea of the Reds farm system however..

Josh Roenicke looks like a pitcher right up KW's ally. RH power arm, college OF converted to pitcher, closing games in AA with 93-95 FB, touching 98 and a cutter. A little unpolished but mechanics are clean....or we could ask for Jay Bruce and Joey Votto.