PDA

View Full Version : Hank Steinbrenner declares war on Red Sox Nation

Fenway
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
:popcorn:

“Red Sox Nation?” Hank says. “What a bunch of [expletive] that is. That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans. Go anywhere in America and you won’t see Red Sox hats and jackets, you’ll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country. We’re going to put the Yankees back on top and restore the universe to order.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/sports/playmagazine/02play-bronx.html?ei=5087&em=&en=22ef4b8314181768&ex=1204347600&pagewanted=all

spawn
02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Both the Red Sox and the Yankees can kiss my ass.

WhiteSox5187
02-29-2008, 02:05 PM
:thumbsup:

Optipessimism
02-29-2008, 02:07 PM
I saw a Pirates hat in a rap video, so shove that up your ass Hank.

doublem23
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, he was right for the first 3 sentences.

:rolleyes:

Yankee Country? Obviously Hank doesn't know which team the majority of thc country hates the most.

Not going to be turning on ESPN tonight, I'm sure the genisuses at BBTN will cover this' "huge" story from every angle.

Mr.1Dog
02-29-2008, 02:17 PM
:puking: **** them both.:bandance:

BridgePortNative
02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
yankees this red sox that, I'm ****ing sick of it all. It's not like anyone around here really gives a **** about some dumb quote making it all look even more stupid

LITTLE NELL
02-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Red Sox nation is Mass, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and part of Vermont. Thats it; no more no less.

Fenway
02-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Red Sox nation is Mass, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and part of Vermont. Thats it; no more no less.

Connecticut is 50-50

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/images/fans_map.jpg

areilly
02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Yankee Country? Obviously Hank doesn't know which team the majority of thc country hates the most.

But he does know which team can boast the highest merchandise sales by a wide margin. Say what you will, the Yankees are the most popular and most-"loved" baseball team in not just the country but the world. Most-hated, yes, but he's not making this stuff up.

twentywontowin
02-29-2008, 03:55 PM
The fact a team was able for me to actually tolerate the Yankees in itself is unbelievable.

Here's for the Red Sox going down in flames. :gulp:

oeo
02-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I wish Hank Steinbrenner would just go away. Is this guy annoying, or what?

spawn
02-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Or what isn't needed. He is annoying.

doublem23
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM

He can run his mouth all he wants if he runs the Yankees into the ground. That'd be nice.

asg2003ws2005
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
At least Hank's got some spirit.

Railsplitter
02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
He must think America end at the Hudson River.

JB98
02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Go Tampa Bay!

**** both Boston and New York! :)

Fenway
02-29-2008, 08:25 PM
He must think America end at the Hudson River.

There isn't much out there

http://www.theredseat.com/productImages/trs_nationcards_350.jpg

skottyj242
02-29-2008, 08:26 PM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Black-Power-Salute-1968-Olympics-Mexico-City-Print-C12965150.jpeg

chaerulez
03-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Hank Steinbrenner since he has taken a more active role with the Yankees has come off as long but an idiot. He seems like what Michael McCaskey was to the Bears in the 90's. Hopefully the Yankees mirror the success of the Bears in the 90's.

Fenway
03-01-2008, 07:44 AM
The Red Sox ownership responds :popcorn:

"I don't deny there are Yankee fans everywhere," said Lucchino. "But it's blind of him not to see the phenomenon that is Red Sox Nation. I expect he will become more aware of the passion and breadth of Red Sox Nation as long as he is actively involved in baseball. I do appreciate that he has picked up on the Star Wars metaphor, though. He said he was happy to be Darth Vader and we are happy to be the Rebel Alliance."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/01/empire_has_a_new_voice/

TommyJohn
03-01-2008, 09:06 AM

"I don't deny there are Yankee fans everywhere," said Lucchino. "But it's blind of him not to see the phenomenon that is Red Sox Nation. I expect he will become more aware of the passion and breadth of Red Sox Nation as long as he is actively involved in baseball. I do appreciate that he has picked up on the Star Wars metaphor, though. He said he was happy to be Darth Vader and we are happy to be the Rebel Alliance."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/01/empire_has_a_new_voice/

The Red Sox are as much the "Rebel Alliance" as IBM.

Fenway
03-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Tampa Bay will pick up fans nationwide because of this.

Still as much as the rest of the baseball world is fed up with Athens-Sparta you have to concede these 2 teams have had a lot of memorable games the past 6 years.

Optipessimism
03-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I haven't seen the Star Wars movies but the term 'Rebel Alliance' pretty much fits them, considering the role they played in WWII events (http://archives.cnn.com/2001/LAW/03/columns/fl.sebok.IBM.holocaust.03.15/).

Scottiehaswheels
03-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Still as much as the rest of the baseball world is fed up with Athens-Sparta you have to concede these 2 teams have had a lot of memorable games the past 6 years.So have 28 other teams, but we don't have them shoved down our throats every time we turn around.

TommyJohn
03-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Still as much as the rest of the baseball world is fed up with Athens-Sparta you have to concede these 2 teams have had a lot of memorable games the past 6 years.

So have 28 other teams, but we don't have them shoved down our throats every time we turn around.

What SHW said. Every team in baseball has played memorable games,
they just don't have the "All Red Sox, All Yankees" channel that is ESPN
hyping and promoting them, along with all the east coast poets and
writers.

How about those two games between the White Sox and Indians
in September, 2005? Those games have faded from memory. If they
involved the Red Sox and Yankees, ESPN would still be showing the
highlights.

#1swisher
03-01-2008, 10:31 AM
when I saw this on espn, I didn't believe it was for real.:scratch:

South Side Irish
03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Ironically, it's this kind of NYY behavior that just grows "Red Sox Nation"... the Yanks are feeding right into the "rebel alliance" Red Sox hands by making them seem all more the victim, being attacked by the big bad Yankees.

And Hank might want to adopt a new philosophy: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

or

"Promise small, deliver big"

And besides, why do the Red Sox have ownership over this 'Sports team Nation' junk? I heard of "Raider Nation" and "Cardinal or Redbird Nation" long before I did RSN.

aryzner
03-01-2008, 11:26 AM

This is the best possible 1st reply for this thread. Excellent work.:smile:

champagne030
03-01-2008, 11:27 AM

That's funny. Phenomenon? :rolling: They even mock themselves by using Red Sox Nation. There's no such thing.

Cessna
03-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Go Tampa Bay!

Excellent retort! Good job.

I would LOVE to see Tampa or Toronto finish higher than boston or new yorkhttp://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon16.gif

Fenway
03-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Ironically, it's this kind of NYY behavior that just grows "Red Sox Nation"... the Yanks are feeding right into the "rebel alliance" Red Sox hands by making them seem all more the victim, being attacked by the big bad Yankees.

And Hank might want to adopt a new philosophy: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

or

"Promise small, deliver big"

John Henry is having fun with this

Red Sox owner John Henry, responding by e-mail to Steinbrenner's comment, wrote: "A wise man once said, 'Don't poke the bear!' "

ksimpson14
03-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Hank is the man, Yankee country thing is dumb, but ESPN is full of Red Sox fans. Even before they won it all, many times I thought I was watching a different 4 letter sports network, NESN

Fenway
03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Hank is the man, Yankee country thing is dumb, but ESPN is full of Red Sox fans. Even before they won it all, many times I thought I was watching a different 4 letter sports network, NESN

ESPN finds this amusing

In our quest for fairness, we checked with Vince Doria, ESPN's senior vice president and director of news, and asked what he thought about Hank's accusation that the all-sports network is populated by Red Sox fans.

Doria, who served as sports editor of the Globe for 10 years, said, "My e-mail from viewers indicates that a lot of people out there think we favor the Yankees over the Red Sox. I'd say beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/01/empire_has_a_new_voice/?page=2

JB98
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
So have 28 other teams, but we don't have them shoved down our throats every time we turn around.

That sums it up well.

Fenway
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
The team message boards are back at each other again....
Universe is back to normal

Yankees
Hank drops the Hammer on RSN (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=109871)

MarySwiss
03-01-2008, 05:08 PM

And that comment, my friend, gets you a free appetizer later this month!

The fact a team was able for me to actually tolerate the Yankees in itself is unbelievable. Here's for the Red Sox going down in flames. :gulp:

How true is that! And when you add in the Patriots making the Giants seem like the good guys...

Cripes! Next thing you know, we'll be rooting for the Pistons over the Celtics!

Go Tampa Bay!
I still keep hoping Toronto actually lives up to its potential someday.

That's funny. Phenomenon? :rolling: They even mock themselves by using Red Sox Nation. There's no such thing.

I still cringe every time I watch the Sox WS video and hear that knucklehead refer to "White Sox Nation." EWWWW.

Fenway
03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
And that comment, my friend, gets you a free appetizer later this month!

How true is that! And when you add in the Patriots making the Giants seem like the good guys...

Cripes! Next thing you know, we'll be rooting for the Pistons over the Celtics!

I still keep hoping Toronto actually lives up to its potential someday.

I still cringe every time I watch the Sox WS video and hear that knucklehead refer to "White Sox Nation." EWWWW.

No Bulls fan will ever root for Detroit. In that series you will show Boston love.

Bostonians now look at the Patriots going 18-1 with pride as no team will ever do that again and NOT be champions. It gives us something to whine about again.

Now suddenly my beloved Broons are playing the best of any team in the east. If by chance they make the Cup finals against the Wings every Hawks fan will root for Boston.

Life is good.

Fenway
03-01-2008, 07:34 PM
poll at nyyfans.com (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=109884)

Which team does ESPN favor?
Boston 48 84.21%
Yankees 0 0%
Both 9 15.79%
Neither 0 0%

MarySwiss
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
No Bulls fan will ever root for Detroit. In that series you will show Boston love.

Bostonians now look at the Patriots going 18-1 with pride as no team will ever do that again and NOT be champions. It gives us something to whine about again.

Now suddenly my beloved Broons are playing the best of any team in the east. If by chance they make the Cup finals against the Wings every Hawks fan will root for Boston.

Life is good.

Oh, shut up, you!

Fenway
03-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh, shut up, you!

:hug::neener::halo::stirpot::happyguy:

spiffie
03-02-2008, 12:56 AM

Life is good.
I'll go buy a Pistons shirt if its Pistons vs. Celtics. At this point pretty much any team not named Al Qaeda will get my support when playing against Boston, and I don't think I am alone on this one judging by the Super Bowl.

Fenway
03-02-2008, 06:53 AM
I'll go buy a Pistons shirt if its Pistons vs. Celtics. At this point pretty much any team not named Al Qaeda will get my support when playing against Boston, and I don't think I am alone on this one judging by the Super Bowl.

:whiner::(:

We really are a nice place. :smile:

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/www/busm/ocs/images/tobin.jpg

chaerulez
03-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Yeah it's not 1988-1992 anymore. The rivarly kind of has resurfaced in the past couple years, but it's nothing to the days where the two teams literally hated each other. NBA rivarlies are different, they can only maintain if both teams are successful. It's not like Bears-Packers, Sox-Indians, Cubs-Cardinals where they last regardless of how well the teams are doing. Hell, Bulls vs. Knicks was a more recent rivarly and used to hate them during the Jordan era, now I don't even acknowledge a rivarly exists anymore.

Basically, I am also saying I have no problem with Bulls fans, myself included cheering for the Pistons against the Celtics.

California Sox
03-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Doria, who served as sports editor of the Globe for 10 years

Fenway, I think you buried the lead.

Fenway
03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Fenway, I think you buried the lead.

Did I mention that a former Red Sox PR diector also works in Bristol?

California Sox
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Did I mention that a former Red Sox PR diector also works in Bristol?

LOL

Fenway
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
LOL

Look part of the ESPN problem is where they are located in Connecticut. Driving to work staffers may listen to WFAN or WEEI. The 7-11 across from ESPN carries all the Boston and NY papers. At home they get both NESN and YES on cable. I have no doubt they totally get caught up in the crossfire and forget that west of the Hudson people don't care.

But they also know that New England and New York are more into baseball than most parts of the country and want news. Simple fact that more people watch Red Sox games in the Boston market than Cubs-White Sox combined in Chicago. NESN does double digit ratings most of the summer. This is not including the WGN numbers outside of Chicago...just the totals from the Chicago area itself.

Oblong
03-02-2008, 03:51 PM
What bugs me about the NY/Bos thing isn't so much that they get coverage for the team itself, it's all the drama and soap opera stuff we have to put up with with the likes of Cashman/Steinbrenner and Theo/Lucchino.

Prettty much everything I know about the White Sox front office are things I've learned from this site. That's the way it should be. I sought it out.

MarySwiss
03-02-2008, 04:14 PM
What bugs me about the NY/Bos thing isn't so much that they get coverage for the team itself, it's all the drama and soap opera stuff we have to put up with with the likes of Cashman/Steinbrenner and Theo/Lucchino.

Prettty much everything I know about the White Sox front office are things I've learned from this site. That's the way it should be. I sought it out.

I was trying to figure out a way to say this. Thanks, Oblong.

As for ESPN, if they want to be East Coast-obsessed, fine. But then don't pretend to be impartial. I know people are tired of the Chris Berman "Ohhhh, NOOOOOO!" comment, but IMO, that typifies ESPN as clearly as anything ever could.

cards press box
03-02-2008, 04:14 PM

I don't know about today but Connecticut used to be split 50/50 between the Red Sox and Yankees. In light of ESPN's location in Bristol, Conn., that might explain ESPN's obsession with both clubs.

Fenway
03-02-2008, 04:46 PM

It is insanity. The tabloids need something for the back page and then WEEI and WFAN run with it. Theo leaves Fenway after being fired by Lucchino in a gorilla suit. Cashman telling not NY writers but Boston writers that Hank and Hal have cut his power. ESPN watches it all unfold and then passes it on. Throw in 'Curt on a car phone' and the circus never ends.

Fenway
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh brother....now Hank says he LOVES the Red Sox ownership :o:

"Every Red Sox fan is and Yankee fan is. I can tell you this, we've got a lot in common, too. The Yankees ownership and Red Sox ownership have a lot in common and have a lot of common interests. God, I hate to scare Red Sox or Yankee fans, but you never know we might end up being partners in the future outside of baseball. We have a lot in common. We have a lot in common. In baseball and outside of baseball. Even though the rivalry will always be the greatest rivalry in American sports, you can say that the Yankees and Red sox ownerships are definitely friends. No question."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/03/hank_says_yanks.html

Dan Mega
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Greatest rivalry in American sports? Puh-lease.

Chicago/Green Bay has that title.

LITTLE NELL
03-03-2008, 07:57 AM
:whiner::(:

We really are a nice place. :smile:

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/www/busm/ocs/images/tobin.jpg
If there is any truth in the movies "Mystic River" and "Gone Baby Gone", Boston is not such a nice place.Plus,thats one ugly skyline.

WizardsofOzzie
03-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Thankfully we squashed that one pretty quickly. I'm happy our fans aren't a band of douchebags who feel the need to create an imaginary "nation" and insist on ramming above said nation down everyones throats.

Fenway
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
If there is any truth in the movies "Mystic River" and "Gone Baby Gone", Boston is not such a nice place.Plus,thats one ugly skyline.

Sadly those movies and The Departed were spot on

The tabloids are having a field day with this morning

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/galleries/bh_Mar032008_A001.001.jpghttp://www.nypost.com/seven/03032008/img/back030308.jpg

Martinigirl
03-03-2008, 12:09 PM
:popcorn:

“Red Sox Nation?” Hank says. “What a bunch of [expletive] that is. That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans. Go anywhere in America and you won’t see Red Sox hats and jackets, you’ll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country. We’re going to put the Yankees back on top and restore the universe to order.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/sports/playmagazine/02play-bronx.html?ei=5087&em=&en=22ef4b8314181768&ex=1204347600&pagewanted=all

Both teams irritate me, but I have to say Hank is wrong. There is Red Sox **** everywhere you go. You really can't escape it.

But I do agree with him that "Red Sox Nation" is a creation of the non-stop love fest that ESPN has for the Red Sox, but it is not like the ignore the Yankees. They are the only two teams ESPN bothers to cover.

Fenway
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Both teams irritate me, but I have to say Hank is wrong. There is Red Sox **** everywhere you go. You really can't escape it.

But I do agree with him that "Red Sox Nation" is a creation of the non-stop love fest that ESPN has for the Red Sox, but it is not like the ignore the Yankees. They are the only two teams ESPN bothers to cover.

Yankees still sell the most stuff BY FAR

MLB Merchandising sales as of Opening Day 2007

Team Market Share

NY Yankees 25.4%
Boston Red Sox 8.2%
Chicago Cubs 6.7%
St. Louis Cardinals 6.2%
Los Angeles Dodgers 5.8%
Chicago White Sox 5.7%
Detroit Tigers 5.6%
New York Mets 4.6%
Atlanta Braves 4.3%
Philadelphia Phillies 3.1%

Source: SportsOne Source

Martinigirl
03-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Yankees still sell the most stuff BY FAR

MLB Merchandising sales as of Opening Day 2007

Team Market Share

NY Yankees 25.4%
Boston Red Sox 8.2%
Chicago Cubs 6.7%
St. Louis Cardinals 6.2%
Los Angeles Dodgers 5.8%
Chicago White Sox 5.7%
Detroit Tigers 5.6%
New York Mets 4.6%
Atlanta Braves 4.3%
Philadelphia Phillies 3.1%

Source: SportsOne Source

Then perhaps I am just haunted by Red Sox fans because I personally can't seem to escape them.

Fenway
03-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Then perhaps I am just haunted by Red Sox fans because I personally can't seem to escape them.

Red Sox fans can be found in huge numbers in these areas

New York
Chicago
Washington-Baltimore
Tampa
Seattle
Southern California
San Francisco-Oakland
Atlanta

#1swisher
03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Red Sox fans can be found in huge numbers in these areas

New York
Chicago
Washington-Baltimore
Tampa
Seattle
Southern California
San Francisco-Oakland
Atlanta
so true Fenway...my nephew brought home a gf from Boston @thanksgiving

hdog1017
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I refuse to refer to Red Sox fans as a "nation." They are already pompous as it is, and I don't want their heads to get bigger.

chisoxmike
03-04-2008, 03:22 PM
These two franchises need to get over themselves.