PDA

View Full Version : BP projects Tampa Bay at 88 wins

Fenway
02-28-2008, 10:17 PM
BP’s PECOTA system has predicted an 88-74 record for the perennial AL East basement dwellers, a 22-game improvement over 2007. If that is the case, then the division figures to be a four-team race for the first time in…well, a damn long time. BP has the Rays finishing third in the AL East, behind the Yankees and Red Sox.

http://baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/02/26/leap.year0303/

WhiteSox5187
02-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Psssh, BP also had us losing ninety games last year...oh...wait...

In all honesty I don't think 83 is out of the question for the Rays, but we'll see.

FedEx227
02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Psssh, BP also had us losing ninety games last year...oh...wait...

In all honesty I don't think 83 is out of the question for the Rays, but we'll see.

Seriously. I think they are finally in 80 win territory. Obviously it won't be enough in that division but they FINALLY have a mix of hitting and pitching.

DumpJerry
02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
If this happens, that should cause some sleepless nights in Boston and New York.

Oh wait, New Yorkers already whine that they never beat the Rays.

Fenway
02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Seriously. I think they are finally in 80 win territory. Obviously it won't be enough in that division but they FINALLY have a mix of hitting and pitching.

I honestly think the Yankees are going to have a horrific year.

What can they expect from Mussina...

Pettitte could totally implode.....Rogergate will not be going away.

Hughes could be a stud the keyword is could

Joba........looks like the real deal...but starting him in the pen and then to the rotation??? I dunno

FedEx227
02-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Joba........looks like the real deal...but starting him in the pen and then to the rotation??? I dunno

I could seriously see the Rays taking 3rd and battling for 2nd. No doubt in my mind.

Fenway
02-28-2008, 10:52 PM
I could seriously see the Rays taking 3rd and battling for 2nd. No doubt in my mind.

This could derail everything

An elbow scare could give Rays fans nightmares

By John Romano, Times Columnist
Published February 29, 2008 (http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/29/Rays/An_elbow_scare_could_.shtml)

FedEx227
02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
I saw that, hope he's okay. That would just be their luck, they finally find somebody else to put around him and then he gets hurt.

soxinem1
02-29-2008, 06:41 AM
I think they will be similar to MIL from 2007. But I can see it coming. This is one of the most talented and MLB-ready rosters in baseball.

soxwon
02-29-2008, 06:42 AM
how many wins for us? 88-90?

DumpJerry
02-29-2008, 06:48 AM

Fenway
02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I think they will be similar to MIL from 2007. But I can see it coming. This is one of the most talented and MLB-ready rosters in baseball.

The Rays situation reminds me of the Kingdome era Mariners who played in a bad dome and had no fans. New ownership and young players finally blossomed and Seattle became a baseball town. The Trop isn't the horror show that Kingdome was and the new owners have made changes to improve the game experience for the fans. Loud rock music was replaced by a pretty good organist and the place is jumping when they have a good crowd which they always do with Boston and NYY.

Still I question if the market can support baseball long term. While at first glance the population seems to be there it is top heavy with retired folks who live on fixed income especially on the St Pete side. Tampa folks resist crossing the bay and seem more content to drive 80 miles to Orlando than 20 to St Pete.

The Rays need to win and contend and in the AL East that is next to impossible. MLB may have to consider a second wild card team for them to have any chance. Boston and NYY just have too much money and Toronto now has more cash to play with because the Canadian dollar is stronger. Baltimore has money but a complete idiot owning the team so Tampa can leap frog the O's.

Baseball as a whole would be better off if any of the other AL East teams can knock off the big 2. That will be hard as Theo and Cashman have both done a good job with home grown talent and can then buy what they need. NYY just pays the luxury tax and Boston will spend to the cap number and go a little over.

JorgeFabregas
02-29-2008, 08:44 AM
They're projecting 78.

chisox77
02-29-2008, 08:45 AM
That was a well written article by the Tampa/St. Pete reporter. It makes me want to pull harder for the Rays.

:cool:

skottyj242
02-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Didn't Kazmir just go down?

Bump34
02-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I think 88 might be pushing it... but I'll take it... also... they are watching Kaz closely... they say it might be 10 days from now before he pitches to hitters... Kaz says he is already feeling much better...

soxwon
02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
That was a well written article by the Tampa/St. Pete reporter. It makes me want to pull harder for the Rays.

:cool:

When do they move into THE HAIR-NET?

Luke
02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
88 wins might help that team win over a little more public support with regard to the new stadium. I heard the hearing the other night was filled with a lot of anti-stadium people.

If the Yankees had a down year, it wouldn't be unreasonable for the Rays to get 88 wins.

palehozenychicty
02-29-2008, 01:57 PM

The Yankees are a little hard to figure out right now. They have no idea what they're getting from the rotation or bullpen, and the lineup keeps getting older and older. According to press, they are in much better condition than in years past. We shall see.

Fenway
02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
The Yankees are a little hard to figure out right now. They have no idea what they're getting from the rotation or bullpen, and the lineup keeps getting older and older. According to press, they are in much better condition than in years past. We shall see.

As Filip Bondy writes in the Daily News every year

Red Sox will win many games
Yankees will win many games

palehozenychicty
02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
As Filip Bondy writes in the Daily News every year

Red Sox will win many games
Yankees will win many games

For sure, but I don't think they're a championship team. It's the reality of baseball economics.