PDA

View Full Version : No fraternizing

Jerry_Manuel
04-24-2002, 12:24 PM
One would think that MLB has bigger issues to work on, but I guess not.

As stated in Rule 3.09: "Players of opposing teams shall not fraternize at any time while in uniform.'' That includes actual games and batting practice.

Ridiculous?

The Sox certainly seem to think so.

"It's b.s.,'' catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. said

According to major-league executive Bob Watson, there have been several complaints about opposing players, managers and coaches talking and joking before and during games.

Apparently, Indians manager Charlie Manuel was one of the complainers. Manuel was reportedly miffed when Kenny Lofton held several reunions with his old teammates when Cleveland played at Comiskey Park last week.

And prior to Monday's game, Indians hitting coach Eddie Murray apparently scolded a fellow coach for talking to White Sox third baseman Jose Valentin.

When Murray tried chatting with Alomar while the Sox were stretching Tuesday, Lofton sprung to his feet and yelled: "No fraternizing! No fraternizing!''

Was all of the interplay in good fun? Probably. But Alomar wasn't laughing about Manuel's complaining and said Cleveland's manager was looking for excuses while the White Sox were winning three straight games against the Indians last week.

MattSharp
04-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Why wouldn't Manuel yell at his own players? It takes two to tango, doesn't it...........?

sox_fan_4life
04-24-2002, 12:30 PM
What about when players are on base. They talk to the fielders, hell they even laugh with them. If in uniform is bad, during the game is probably fineable.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
What about when players are on base. They talk to the fielders, hell they even laugh with them. If in uniform is bad, during the game is probably fineable.

I remember a Bulls playoff game at the United Center during their last championship run. The Pacers were giving the Bulls fits and the NBC crew was playing up the "big rivalry" that the two teams were supposedly developing.

So the clients we were with had credentials for the restaurant club underneath the stands across from the players' dressing rooms. We're sitting inside the club watching the players file out after a big Bulls victory, and the players from both teams are laughing and joking with one another. Some of them even left the stadium together. How's that for a big rivalry?

Don't believe the hype, especially from the league or their hired mouthpieces, like NBC.

voodoochile
04-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I remember a Bulls playoff game at the United Center during their last championship run. The Pacers were giving the Bulls fits and the NBC crew was playing up the "big rivalry" that the two teams were supposedly developing.

So the clients we were with had credentials for the restaurant club underneath the stands across from the players' dressing rooms. We're sitting inside the club watching the players file out after a big Bulls victory, and the players from both teams are laughing and joking with one another. Some of them even left the stadium together. How's that for a big rivalry?

Don't believe the hype, especially from the league or their hired mouthpieces, like NBC.

That is exactly what it is supposed to be like. On the field, you are my enemy and I will run you over or through in a heart-beat if you get in my way. Off the field, after the game is over, you go with your fellow warriors to celebrate a great win, or a hard fought loss. Thus have we been taught since grade school, thus should it ever be...

duke of dorwood
04-24-2002, 02:28 PM
The real fraternizing began when the union got strong. It's not rampant. What's wrong with greeting a friend? I think players have been good about not abusing this rule and have policed it well amongst themselves. It seems that of the Manual clan, we got the right one.

bc2k
04-24-2002, 11:00 PM
I like what Alomar said of this. "We're not supposed to talk to them after we beat them in Chicago, but now they beat us last night and it's OK for them to talk to us? Forget that."
Damn right Alomar!

Mathew
04-25-2002, 12:55 AM
What always pissed me off was when Scott Atrocious got into that fight when playing Seattle and the benches cleared and Jeter and A-Rod stood to the side and laughed and joked. Brosious was protecting their star from the opposing team and their star is laughing at him. Sport is played much better with hate I will always believe that! Unfortunately this rule won't bring that back so who freakin' cares.