PDA

View Full Version : Where were you?

PolishPower83
02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
The following is a recreation of what happened in my living room Oct. 26, 2005.

I watch on my TV as Jenks induces a grounder, Uribe makes a hell of a play and throws to Konerko to end the game. Already fueled by five or six cold ones, my body reacts with a mix of shock and awe. I want to run around the house like an inebriated inbred, but I don't want to miss out on any of the excitement happening in Houston (or FOX's brilliant coverage, HA!). Plus there will be plenty of time for celebration. So I sit on the floor with my hands on my head and ignore the constant ringing of my cell phone. Sorry buddies, I'm not home right now. I'm in a place that I never thought I would get a chance to see or feel.

Where were you and what did you feel?

soxfan13
02-28-2008, 02:38 PM

I watch on my TV as Jenks induces a grounder, Uribe makes a hell of a play and throws to Konerko to end the game. Already fueled by five or six cold ones, my body reacts with a mix of shock and awe. I want to run around the house like an inebriated inbred, but I don't want to miss out on any of the excitement happening in Houston (or FOX's brilliant coverage, HA!). Plus there will be plenty of time for celebration. So I sit on the floor with my hands on my head and ignore the constant ringing of my cell phone. Sorry buddies, I'm not home right now. I'm in a place that I never thought I would get a chance to see or feel.

Boy must i say this again:tongue: I was fifth row behind the Astros dugout standing up next to ILuvThatDuck (should have been skottyj) hoping that the throw beat the runner. Then jumping up and down joyously after the final out WAS registered :gulp:

Chilli Palmer
02-28-2008, 02:42 PM
3932 N. Sheridan Rd. Apt 2.

About 12 beers deep and many more that followed.

JimmyJoe
02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I was one of the many that was crammed into McNally's that night. I'd be willing to bet that there were numerous fire code violations in there that night, but well worth it!

C-Dawg
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I watched the whole game from my couch at home. I don't think I moved, got up or even breathed during the whole game. It was surreal. And suddenly they were going to the bottom of the ninth and they were just three outs away from the championship. I'm getting goose bumps just now thinking about it.

RTI_SoxFan
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I will never forget that evening for various reasons... sorry for the long story.

I was with my family and a bunch of friends on my cousin's new roof deck where he has a flat screen TV. My father, who passed away this past September, was there with me and we watched every pitch together while the beers were flowing. He was a HUGE Sox fan and we'd talk almost daily about the Sox. This was after I had taken my mom and dad to game 2 here in Chicago. A tidbit about that game (while we were on the L heading back to my place, he looked at me and said "I can die a happy man now"). Little did I know he'd pass away less than 2 years later at age 60.

Anyways, when Uribe made that final out, I just grabbed my dad and gave him an enormous bear hug and lifted him to the sky like I was Superman and we just jumped around like we were 12 again. The party continued for a few hours after that and the smile on his face will never be forgotten. Nor will what he told me on the L after game 2.

He certainly passed way to soon but just knowing he lived to see a White Sox World Series eases the pain a bit.

Thank you Chicago White Sox! What an amazing day!

starboy0
02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I was pacing nervously in my back yard with my xm radio. They had won most of the games I listened to on radio during the year so I had to keep to that M.O. (I know...totally irrational but oh well)

Then I heard my wife scream from inside and a neighbor down the street and then about 5 seconds later I heard Rooney's call (xm radio time lag).

I let out a few teutonic yawps then ran inside to watch the celebration.

PolishPower83
02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Just got goosebumps reading that reply about your dad.

spawn
02-28-2008, 03:00 PM
I was at home, on the couch. Once the final out was recorded, I ran outside and let out the loudest yell I could, and then came back in the house and popped champagne. I still have the cork, which I dated. The next day, my next door neighbor told me that night her teenage daughter got up, comes into her room, and says "I think the White Sox won the World Series because spawn (she actually said my real name!) is outside yelling".

PopsBrechtel
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I was at the United Center watching the game with my family & many other crazy Sox Fans. :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

It was a great night. When we heard they were selling World Champs hats & t-shirts in the Concourse area we raced down there.

DumpJerry
02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
You Sox fans, all you do is live in the past.

At the United Center.

DumpJerry
02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Just got goosebumps reading that reply about your dad.
Polish, want some real goosebumps? Read this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61100) thread.

jenn2080
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh sweet jesus. Not another WS where were you thread! :rolleyes:

Scottiehaswheels
02-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I was sitting about 15 rows back along the third baseline. I think I can see my knees in one of the Uribe diving into the stands photos. My knees are famous! :tongue: I got gipped by a scalper pulling a switcheroo on me though. The tix I thought I had purchased were behind the Sox dugout but I didn't realize he switched them on me until I got in the gate. I was just glad they were legit at that point though.

I spent game 3 talking to Mark Buehrle's dad, Neal Cott's dad, the premium ticket manager guy, and I spent about 2 hours hitting on what turned out to be Jon Garland's sister... Height runs in that family.

C-Dawg
02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Polish, want some real goosebumps? Read this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61100) thread.

One subtle fringe benefit of that thread, was that it stayed on the top of the Game-Day Threads page all through the winter until the 2006 season started. I've read it, oh, a few times.

bridgeportcopper
02-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Riding around Bridgeport in an unmarked squad car with a Cubs fan sergeant and a Nascar fan. It was tough to get time off around that time, and unfortunately this guy got stuck watching the game on a 2 inch Watchman in the car. But I partied hard for games 1,2, and 3!

minutia
02-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I was at home with my brother, his girlfriend and my mom. I remember my brother was going to watch it at his girlfriends house and I told him he couldn't that they Sox were going to win it that night and we could not miss seeing it together. They got down to the final out and my brother and I stood up. A habit we had since we were old enough to understand the game but it was something definitely picked up at the park, but I digress. Upon the final out call my brother and I just started yelling. I turned around to face him and he had the best look on his face. We ran into each others arms and hugged while jumping up and down yelling "they did it". My mom ran and got pots and pans she was banging together. We ran out on the front lawn spraying beer all over each other. Fireworks were going off, people were driving around waving brooms out of their cars. We then went up to Panos and tied more on. I don't think I slept at all that night. I went into work the next day and brought donuts for the entire office.
All of this may sound pretty typical but those memories hold a very special place in my heart because my brother died from a blood clot on November 20th and we buried him one month to the day that the Sox wne it all. Had I not talked him to watching the game at home I would have missed it and to be quite frank it is one of the most precious moments of my life to that point.

russ99
02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Nevin's in Evanston.

There was a fairly large Astros contingent there as well...

It was a really tense game, but at the last out, the place went crazy! :D:

white sox bill
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I was at home with 2 cub fans watching w/me. They let out a yell louder than mine! They were cub fans but switched alliences for the WS, actually they root for the Sox in general. I downed a beer after they left and tried to sleep.....not too good either

btrain929
02-28-2008, 06:15 PM
**FYI. I do not support these actions to be taken by others. This was my experience on one crazy night...

I was at my college apartment with some other fellow Sox fans. As the final out was recorded, I think I did about 8 jagerbombs in 3 minutes. Me and 2 of my friends lit up stogies, got in my car, and drove around the small campus that is Monmouth College, blasting "Sweet Home Chicago" out of my car (that is equipped with new speakers, subs, the works), and simultaneously blasting the police siren on my bullhorn. We drove around the town about 10 times (lasting only about 45 minutes). As we passed the girls dorm, we had 3 girls proceed to flash us. As we drove by for a 2nd time, they didn't do it again.

Overall, a great rush and a time I'll never forget.

soxfan21
02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I was in my girlfriends dorm room (who is as huge a sox fan as I am) watching the game and after that final out, hit my head accidentally on bed post. Went nuts after that for about an hour then went to McDonald's for 59 cent cheeseburger day. Came back to campus drank for a while and stayed up all night watching the celebrations on ESPN and on local news stations.

Soxman219
02-28-2008, 07:22 PM
I was at the United Center watching the game with my family & many other crazy Sox Fans. :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

It was a great night. When we heard they were selling World Champs hats & t-shirts in the Concourse area we raced down there.

I was there too!:bandance:

After the game, I was high-fiving my friends and other fellow Sox fans. Then we celebrated on the streets with other fans. ABC 7 News caught us too. It was a magical night and I will never forget it.

Hope the Sox win it all this year so we can do this again!

delben91
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I was sitting on the couch in my apartment in Red Bank, NJ. Great apartment, loved the neighborhood. Not a lot of Sox fans around so I was watching it on my own. I don't think I left that spot on the couch all through the game. Couldn't sleep that night at all, and spent the next day at work absolutely exhausted but happy as can be.

:gulp:

manders_01
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I was at home with my brother, his girlfriend and my mom. I remember my brother was going to watch it at his girlfriends house and I told him he couldn't that they Sox were going to win it that night and we could not miss seeing it together. They got down to the final out and my brother and I stood up. A habit we had since we were old enough to understand the game but it was something definitely picked up at the park, but I digress. Upon the final out call my brother and I just started yelling. I turned around to face him and he had the best look on his face. We ran into each others arms and hugged while jumping up and down yelling "they did it". My mom ran and got pots and pans she was banging together. We ran out on the front lawn spraying beer all over each other. Fireworks were going off, people were driving around waving brooms out of their cars. We then went up to Panos and tied more on. I don't think I slept at all that night. I went into work the next day and brought donuts for the entire office.
All of this may sound pretty typical but those memories hold a very special place in my heart because my brother died from a blood clot on November 20th and we buried him one month to the day that the Sox one it all. Had I not talked him to watching the game at home I would have missed it and to be quite frank it is one of the most precious moments of my life to that point.

Wow - I'm sorry for your loss - but that is wonderful you were able to share that moment with him. :hug:

Railsplitter
02-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I was home. That was the first time I saw a World Series end with a runner beat by half a step.

manders_01
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I had just moved back to Denver and didn't really know anyone. I met someone off here at Sports Column, watched one hell of a game and proceeded to get ****faced. :tongue: It was a great night!

chisox77
02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I could not watch most of the World Series because I was too nervous and uptight, plus I didn't want to jinx the White Sox.

Anyway, I figured to take a small trip to my lake house in Indiana, and I listened to the last parts of Game 4 on the radio with Rooney and Farmer doing the call. The final out, Uribe to Konerko on that bang-bang play happened when I was just a few miles short of Plymouth, Indiana, on US 30. A split second after Rooney's great call, I leaned on the car horn for about a minute, and then called my dad with the cell phone, just to tell him in these words . . .

"Dad, the White Sox just won the World Series."

:cool:

MarySwiss
02-28-2008, 08:57 PM
I started the night with fellow WSI and non-WSI Arizona Sox fans at Skip and Jan's Sports Bar in Tempe, owned by a longtime Sox fan, but I started to get all weepy around the seventh inning and I realized I wanted to watch the end of the game with my husband and my dogs, alone at home.

Wow. I can still feel it! Joy--make that ecstasy--and mingled with it, relief. I screamed myself hoarse and hugged my husband--I may have actually picked him up!--then watched the coverage on WGN of all you knuckleheads celebrating.

I remember one other thing. The pride I felt that Sox fans--despite all the trailer trash talk that comes our way--proved that we know how to celebrate! No rioting, no burning garages, no overturned cars. Very nice!

And how nice it would be to do it again! :bandance:

BeeBeeRichard
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM

Better than the "Where Were You When The Cubs Won The World Series" thread on their message board. ...

I was a glimmer in my great-great-great grandfather's eye when Tinker flipped to Evers who relayed to Chance. It was the sweetest thing anyone could ever hear come over the telegraph...

LongLiveFisk
02-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Jumping up and down like a madwoman in total elation and disbelief, high-fiving and hugging total strangers at Durbin's in Burbank. :):)

Woofer
02-28-2008, 09:31 PM
We all have to remember how long and hard game three was. Like many of us, I have to be at work M-F at 8 am. Game 3 was extremely nerve racking for me, as we went to extra innings, I nearly gave up hope as the Astros continued to threaten to break the tie and win the game. I was getting superstitious because it seemed whenever I checked the Sox message boards while the Astros were batting, bad things happened. So I tried to check what every one else was thinking while the Sox batted only. I know that this will sound ridiculous, but when Blum hit the home run, I was lying on my family room floor, tossing a baseball up into the air. (I was really tired and trying to get with it!) When they held on for the win, I was literally beside myself with joy, because I was the only one still awake. I stayed up until around 4 am listening to the post game coverage.

For game 4, I was wired, and tired, but nowhere as nervous as during game three. Since my weird superstitious habits worked during game three, I continued lay on my family room floor playing catch with myself. My wife and boys were up, and part of me wished that we had gone over to my parents or gone out with friends. We probably should have gone out, but I didn't really feel like celebrating with anyone. As the Sox celebrated after the third out, tears flowed, phones rang and I talked to Mom and Dad and a couple of my brothers. It really seemed like a dream. I wish I would have called in sick during those last few days. I kick myself now for not joining in on the victory parade. If the Sox ever get that far again, I'm going to enjoy myself more, I promise.

havelj
02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Nirvana.

a place or state characterized by freedom from or oblivion to pain, worry, and the external world.

cws05champ
02-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I was in New Symrna beach FL with my family and a buddy after we were displaced by Hurricane Wilma down here in South florida. Me and my bud watched the last 2 innings in huge bar with about 6 people in it. We jumped up and down in utter joy, went into the parking lot and sprayed Champagne all over the place. People there had no idea what we were doing! I still tear up when I watch my DVD's....

Frontman
02-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I was a nervous wreck most of the series, and definately was nervous for Game Four. I was sitting on my coach at my home with my wife. My son, who was 3 at the time; slept through the entire post season (including me yelling "Who the blanketly blank is Geoff Blum?!?!?!?" at 1 am) until that night.

When Joe Buck said, "We go to the bottom of the 9th, and the White Sox are 3 outs away from the World Championship when we get back." My son woke up. He was cranky, and my wife went to get him, as she knew how much this Southside boy from 35th and Emerald waited and wanted and prayed and dreamt to see this finally happen. Well, my son wanted nothing to do with her. He comes out, rubbing his eyes, plops down hard in my lap as Bobby's stats are shown and he throws that last warm up pitch or two from the mound.

He sat there, and I held my son, and watched the final 3 outs and the wait of 88 years and four generations of Sox fans finally came to an end. And I look down as Joe Buck's call "And the White Sox have won the World Series!" as Konerko runs towards the mound; to tell my boy that they did it. There's my son; named for my Grandad who was a live-long Sox fan, again asleep, with a smile on his face.

Believe what you will, and I will always respect another's beliefs. But in my mind and in my heart; I know my Grandad watched those last 3 outs with me through his namesake's eyes.

And when the Sox are down in years since, I always remember that warm feeling that night.

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I watched the game in my bedroom while my parents watched in the living room. When Dye hit that RBI single in the 8th, my stomach sank, and my heart started pounding. I knew it was going to happen. I started pacing after the top of the 9th. When Orlando Palmeiro hit that weak chopper up the middle, I froze and held my breath. In my head I yelled at Jenks "Don't touch it!" He didn't. Uribe grabbed it, threw to Paulie, and there it was. I yelled "YES!" and just stood there motionless for a few minutes with tears in my eyes. Then I pulled myself together and just enjoyed every moment of that night/morning.

Cat Thief
02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Wife and I were drinking in Bridgeport.After the final out we went to the Cell with a sixpack.

Bridgeport was a great time that night.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I sat motionless on the edge of the coffeetable for the 6th and 9th inning. I didn't give any emtion when Dye RBI'ed in the run. I didn't move when Uribe caught the ball in foul territory. When the grounder went up the middle, I froze.

Then I cried and went outside and screamed at the top of my lungs for a good 20 minutes. I didn't sleep at all..watched allt he news coverage I could (including repeats on CLTV) and went to work hung over and hoarse.

Great day!

Scottiehaswheels
02-29-2008, 09:10 AM
I dunno about you all, but just reading some of these stories is giving me goosebumps all over.

skottyj242
02-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Boy must i say this again:tongue: I was fifth row behind the Astros dugout standing up next to ILuvThatDuck (should have been skottyj) hoping that the throw beat the runner. Then jumping up and down joyously after the final out WAS registered :gulp:

:angry: :stooges: :angry:

soxfan13
02-29-2008, 09:16 AM
:angry: :stooges: :angry:

Sorry pal!! If anything would get you on that plane I thought for sure that was gonna do it :gulp:

skottyj242
02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Sorry pal!! If anything would get you on that plane I thought for sure that was gonna do it :gulp:

What was that awesome restaurant you guys ate at with the uncle?

soxfan13
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
What was that awesome restaurant you guys ate at with the uncle?

I dont recall the name I would have to look at the pictures but it was awesome Mexican food and a dive to boot. A local told me it was the most popular Mexican joint in Houston. The best was sitting in this place with a billionaire watching him drink wine out of those individual bottles.

Jurr
02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I was with a bunch of buddies that work in sports radio in Memphis. After the final out, we ran around outside and sprayed bottles of champagne all over the place. We then ran around Beale St. in all of my Sox jerseys. We reeked of bubbly. Good times.

http://b9.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01492/97/07/1492577079_m.jpg

Zisk77
02-29-2008, 09:58 AM
I watched the game in the in my basement of my new house and scared the crap out of my 10 month old German Shepherd puppy for the 3rd time in time 7 months screaming and jumping around (Illinois' miracle comeback against Arizona, Pods walk-off, and then the WS victory). I celebrathed with a bottle of Champagne in my hot tub. i was a sight to see at work the next day. :D:

Oblong
02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I enjoyed reading this.

If my team is ever on the verge of winning the WS, meaning one game away, I'm not sure where I'd want to be if it were an away game. On the one hand it would be fun to be in a bar or party with a bunch of other fans but I think I'd rather just be with my wife and kids and maybe some close friends. I'm not sure I'd want to share that special moment in a bar surrounded by a bunch of people who don't care about the team when they're not championship caliber.

jenn2080
02-29-2008, 10:15 AM

I still cannot believe he didnt go.

soxfan13
02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I still cannot believe he didnt go.

Did i mention the other part? FREE:redneck

skottyj242
02-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Did i mention the other part? FREE:redneck

Please leave me alone.

stockonline2
02-29-2008, 10:22 AM
For most of the series, and game four as well, I was at the Legend's bar in Champaign.

Like most of you I'm sure, I was feeling pretty surreal about everything that was going on. The place was absolutely packed to the wall with people standing. This was a stark contrast to the roughly 15 or so diehards that were in attendance for Game 1 of the ALDS.

When Uribe threw the ball to first for the final out, I paused for a split second while everyone else started to go crazy. When I saw Palmeiro was out I leapt into the air right as someone popped a beer champagne style, spraying everywhere, when I landed I immediately slipped and landed on my butt. While sitting there, I was in absolute bliss.

The one moment I will always remember is seeing a guy who was absolutely bawling while everyone else was yelling and jumping around. It reminded me of the few people who really do take this game seriously and live and die with the White Sox.

skottyj242
02-29-2008, 10:25 AM
For most of the series, and game four as well, I was at the Legend's bar in Champaign.

Like most of you I'm sure, I was feeling pretty surreal about everything that was going on. The place was absolutely packed to the wall with people standing. This was a stark contrast to the roughly 15 or so diehards that were in attendance for Game 1 of the ALDS.

When Uribe threw the ball to first for the final out, I paused for a split second while everyone else started to go crazy. When I saw Palmeiro was out I leapt into the air right as someone popped a beer champagne style, spraying everywhere, when I landed I immediately slipped and landed on my butt. While sitting there, I was in absolute bliss.

The one moment I will always remember is seeing a guy who was absolutely bawling while everyone else was yelling and jumping around. It reminded me of the few people who really do take this game seriously and live and die with the White Sox.

I cried.

soxfan13
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I cried.

cuz you didnt go or cuz the Sox won :tongue:

Jason82807
02-29-2008, 10:38 AM

I was at Blue Iguana. Surprisingly large Sox crowd considering it's Lincoln Park. Unfortunately I was working for Disney in Florida for most of the 2005 season.

North Sox Sider
02-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I was at Casey Morans on Clark across from Wrigley Field watching the game with my sister and brother in law. The place was packed and just exploded when we got the final out. I must have high fived a dozen people. But what I will rememeber the most is walking down Clark across the Wrigley marquee and Sox fans were dancing underneath it with brooms and car horns were going off all over. It was surreal moment and it will never be forgotten.

twentywontowin
02-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Watching at a buddy's place, completely drunk on a 12 pack of Molson Ice because I was so nervous and kept slamming down the brew to calm my nerves.

I spent the bottom of the 9th on the phone with my dad, a lifetime Sox fan who had just relocated to Florida and was upset he couldn't be in Chicago for this one.

It was yelling and screaming on the phone, followed by a champagne and beer shower.

jenn2080
02-29-2008, 02:06 PM

I think all my guy friends I was with cried.

BridgePortNative
02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
nothing like the constant topic of Oct 26th, 2005 to forget the boring days of ST. I was at a friends house watching the whole game, anxious, watching that great pitching battle go on and on. i knew they were gonna win this one though....it was just a feeling. Once it was done...it was stunned, it didn't seem real....Without any coat or nothing i bolted out the house, ran through the street, grabbed more friends who apparently did the same and ran down to the park. all along 35th there were so many people screaming and cars honking and once i got to the parking lot, it was just a blur or jumping around, dancing, screaming, moshing, cigars and champagne bottles spraying everywhere. i was cold and wet, covered in champagne and stinking of cigars but i didn't care. it was a fun night at the park that didn't die down till maybe 2 or 3am

zmz723
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Sitting on my living room floor, with my family. I actually didn't yell or jump around like some people. I wanted to make sure I saw every second of the celebration

Yes what a horrible thing. It seems that the only thing you do on this board is bitch at people, whine, and roll your eyes. Jesus.

Jurr
02-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I think all my guy friends I was with cried.
I always thought I would. However, I felt so numb by the whole thing until I got that SI commemorative, which is what I longed for oh so many years. I finally broke down when I saw it in the mail. Oh, and the banner ceremony got me pretty good, too. I'm sniffling all through my video of it.

jenn2080
02-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Sitting on my living room floor, with my family. I actually didn't yell or jump around like some people. I wanted to make sure I saw every second of the celebration

Yes what a horrible thing. It seems that the only thing you do on this board is bitch at people, whine, and roll your eyes. :dtroll:

Yup. I actually do it just to get under your skin. Did it work? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is not a horrible thing, but exactly how many times does the same thread and conversation need to be brought up? How many times does someone need to type on this board where they were that night. The WS was 3 yrs ago.

soxfan13
02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Yup. I actually do it just to get under your skin. Did it work? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is not a horrible thing, but exactly how many times does the same thread and conversation need to be brought up? How many times does someone need to type on this board where they were that night. The WS was 3 yrs ago.

Actually about 2 years and 4 months but not trying to get technical or stir the pot!!!!!

:popcorn::gulp:

sox1970
02-29-2008, 02:24 PM
I stayed home. Drank too much the night before, plus the game ended at 1:30.

I actually enjoyed the pennant winning more. When they were up 3-0 in the World Series, we knew it was over.

jenn2080
02-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Actually about 2 years and 4 months but not trying to get technical or stir the pot!!!!!

:popcorn::gulp:

Gosh Johnny can you shut up? If you are going to spit fun facts, can you get it down to the hour too?

soxfan13
02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Gosh Johnny can you shut up? If you are going to spit fun facts, can you get it down to the hour too?

If i wanted to I can, Do you want me to?:tongue:

jenn2080
02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
If i wanted to I can, Do you want me to?:tongue:

Please do. Also what were you drinking that night when they won? I think you forgot that.

soxfan13
02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Please do. Also what were you drinking that night when they won? I think you forgot that.

I was drinking Bud if you really want to know!!:smile:

C-Dawg
02-29-2008, 03:29 PM

Well, its understandable considering the original poster just joined here in February. I suppose he could have searched and found a similar but long dormant thread and bumped it instead, but there'd no doubt be people complaining about that too.

I enjoy reading these threads each time they come up.

WizardsofOzzie
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes what a horrible thing. It seems that the only thing you do on this board is bitch at people, whine, and roll your eyes. Jesus.

:bitchslap:
:popcorn:

New smiley's rock

Ziggy S
02-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I had just moved back to Denver and didn't really know anyone. I met someone off here at Sports Column, watched one hell of a game and proceeded to get ****faced. :tongue: It was a great night!
Is that place downtown?

Anyway, I was in my barracks room and watching the game with the audio on my radio turned up and those two jerkoffs Buck and McCarver on mute. After Uribe made that tremenous throw to Konerko to make it official I screamed for like two hours. The amazing part is I was completely sober at the time.

SportsPg
02-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I had to be in the strangest of places...

I was fortunate enough to attend Game 1 - which was nirvana...

I had a business trip to the Orlando area the entire week of the World Series. I was originally going to miss game 2 as I had a Sunday night flight. Fortunately there was a hurricane in Florida and my flight got canceled. I've never been happier to miss a flight - I hadn't left home before it was canceled and I ended up watching game 2 at home.

Game 4 I wanted to do something special as I thought for sure we were going to sweep. I looked online for any Chicago bars in the Orlando area and found a few. I decided to go with a work friend to of all places...The Friendly Confines http://search.cityguide.aol.com/orlando/bars/friendly-confines/v-115303650

It was a Cubs/Bears bar and on that night it was FILLED with Sox fans. I sat at the bar the whole evening looking up at the TV's and down at the lacquered over Cubs cards on the bar. I saw a Ray Burris card and had a mid 70's flashback - was surreal - but a fun way to see the Sox win it all.

manders_01
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Is that place downtown?

Anyway, I was in my barracks room and watching the game with the audio on my radio turned up and those two jerkoffs Buck and McCarver on mute. After Uribe made that tremenous throw to Konerko to make it official I screamed for like two hours. The amazing part is I was completely sober at the time.

Yep, right near Coors Field.

chisoxfanatic
02-29-2008, 08:40 PM
We all have to remember how long and hard game three was. Like many of us, I have to be at work M-F at 8 am.
I have you beat, as I had to get to work at 7 am each day. And, I did go to work the day after they won it all. I had a Two-Period Algebra class to teach 1st-2nd period each day, and I couldn't get very far without making mathematical errors due to being extremely overtired. And, I am a math teacher.

I spent the entire World Series, along with the last 3 games of the ALCS watching with other WSIers at Puffers. What a beautiful scene! Truth be told, I never washed my Konerko jersey the entire month of October, and they went 10-0 when I wore it that month. I cried a little bit and stayed out on the night of the 26th until around 2:30. My boyfriend, who's Red Sox won the year before, called to congratulate me at about 3 am. After I showered, I spent the rest of the late night/early morning hours watching TV footage of it, posting here at WSI, and checking other sports sites for more bonus coverage. I left for work at 6ish, grabbed something at Dunkin Donuts, and wore my Konerko jersey all day...

Immediately upon returning home from work, I put that thing in the washer. An entire month's worth of sweat, stains from beer and champaign being poured on it, and ballpark food (I went to 3 games in the postseason) needed to be washed off. One beer stain still remains on the thing.

26th & Princeton
02-29-2008, 08:50 PM
I remember the night quite clearly - After the putout, and the Sox were celebrating on the field, I was quiet with reflection on past seasons, that stood in my mind - 1977, 1983, 2000, 2003 and so on and the stories that my dad told me when he was at the playoffs and the world series in 1959 and did not clinch, I went upstairs to my father's room and told my dad that the Sox is now the World Champions, we smiled and I left to go back to my office to watch the celebration in Houston and Bridgeport. I also noticed that the revelers in Bridgeport was celebrating responsibly without the mayhem associated with winning a title. The next day, all the Sox fans in my workplace was high fiving each other and slapping each other on the backs and saying "We have made it!"

RadioheadRocks
02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
My reaction (along with many others) can be found here: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67769

peeonwrigley
02-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I was at Kendall's on Lincoln Ave. Made it there in the 8th inning. Approx 30-45 minutes later, beer/champagne showers abound. My friends and I were just going nuts. We wanted to head to Bridgeport or Beverly, but no one was in driving shape.

There's a youtube video or two of PK's grandslam in game 2 filmed by fans at the Cell. That is right up in my top 5 of greatest sports moments ever. Although I was never sure until the final out, that was the moment I actually thought this team was gonna do it. Seriously, how amazing was that moment?

johnnyg83
03-01-2008, 01:58 AM
I watched at home by myself with 2 kids and my pregnant wife sleeping. I fell to the floor, hands in head. I cried. I watched the celebration, then I watched the entire game again on Tivo. I got really hammered. Called in sick.

It was disbelief. I grew up with the World Series always being something that happened to other teams (we all did, no?). We celebrated division championships if we had a good season -- or we suffered 1977 or 1990 when the teams ahead of us were just a lot better than us. I know this sounds corny but my life has changed since Oct. 2005. I believe that loyalty makes success and victory more worthwhile. It was one of the greatest feelings I've ever experienced: elation, joy, relief, ... and of course some sadness for the people I cared about who'd passed on before they were able to see it.

I hate the Cubs. I loathe them. But I know a lot of good Cubs fans, and I hope they get to feel the feeling I had that October night. Even if a lot of morn Cubs fans get the benefit too. It's an f'n life changer.

RadioheadRocks
03-01-2008, 05:28 AM

Even more thrills, chills and goosebumps can be found here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61107&highlight=zelasko).

comiskeybum
03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
my house. and i fealt releived among many other things. i didnt think id ever see it in my lifetime

cub killer
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
To whoever complained about this thread: put a Sock in it. I hope these threads will always be on the top page until our next championship.

I was to meet my friends at Puffers for Game 4 and I was so excited, I showed up hours early. I ate at that old school diner on 35th an Halsted like at 6 then went to Puffers as it started to fill up. By 7:10, the place was filled and when my friends got there, the bouncer wouldn't let them in because the capacity had been reached, yet he let in some girl wearing a Konerko jersey just because she wouldn't stop complaining. That was not cool, but oh well, so I left Puffers to accompany my friends to Catcher's Inn where we watched the game with an older crowd there, also packed. When we won it all, the place exploded and the near full pitchers of beer we had were all of a sudden empty, I guess they were tossed in the air in euphoria. I musta bounced from one end of the bar to the other in single leaps, then, all of a sudden, I find myself givin' an interview to a Spanish TV reporter, I think from channel 44. I told him Jose Crede should be WS MVP and high fived him before we headed outside to go nuts even more. Unfortunately, the cops sealed off 35th towards the park, so we were stuck driving around the rest of the neighborhood honking the horn until it didn't work anymore. I saw an Asian man videotaping the celebration on Halsted, I wonder if he YouTubed his footage.

Like a previous poster, I did celebrate more for the pennant because of the novelty of the event. That night, we ended up at Comiskey's home plate, having beers with other fans we just met. Too bad the cops made that unneccesary blockade after WS game 4, but oh well.