PDA

View Full Version : TBS releases Sunday afternoon telecast schedule

kba
02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
TBS steps to the plate with new Sunday MLB package featuring baseball's best teams (http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2008/m02/d27/c2391731.jsp)

No surprise. Of the eight games they've committed to televise so far, five involve the Yankees or Red Sox. The other three involve the Cubs, Braves, and Mets.

doublem23
02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
If their play-by-play is going to be provided by Chip Caray, TBS can stay away from the White Sox altogether.

Fenway
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
TBS steps to the plate with new Sunday MLB package featuring baseball's best teams (http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2008/m02/d27/c2391731.jsp)

No surprise. Of the eight games they've committed to televise so far, five involve the Yankees or Red Sox. The other three involve the Cubs, Braves, and Mets.

Boston and the Yankees deliver 3 times the ratings of most other clubs on FOX and ESPN.

The only reason they didn't pick up Boston/NYY on April 13th is ESPN has moved it to a night game.

White Sox are on Sunday Night baseball in week 2 at Detroit ( game is on the deuce because of the Final 4 women )

ksimpson14
02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Pretty cool, the more baseball the better

Kogs35
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Boston and the Yankees deliver 3 times the ratings of most other clubs on FOX and ESPN.

The only reason they didn't pick up Boston/NYY on April 13th is ESPN has moved it to a night game.

White Sox are on Sunday Night baseball in week 2 at Detroit ( game is on the deuce because of the Final 4 women )

there are backup games that wont be annouced till the week of fwiw

roylestillman
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Great.

More "Frank TV" promos

asg2003ws2005
02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
tbs had knockout ratings for the division series last year. 26% INCREASE over the combined espn/fox ratings for 06.

I like how any potential sox tbs broadcast(expect cubs/sox at comiskey, since espn took the wrigley sunday game) will be at 12:05(to compensate for eastern time). Makes my sundays last longer.

rdivaldi
02-28-2008, 02:07 PM

So? That's a corporate line you're delivering Fenway, maximizing profits at any expense. You know the old "self-fulfilling prophecy" argument, so I won't bore you with it.

Oblong
02-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Then they'll complain about the ratings of the ALCS when Boston/NYY isn't in it and wonder why.

Do they have exclusive Sunday TV rights?

Fenway
02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
So? That's a corporate line you're delivering Fenway, maximizing profits at any expense. You know the old "self-fulfilling prophecy" argument, so I won't bore you with it.

Even Lip will concede that ratings drive rate cards....TBS needs an early bump to charge more for ads as they have no track record yet

Then they'll complain about the ratings of the ALCS when Boston/NYY isn't in it and wonder why.

Do they have exclusive Sunday TV rights?

No....local teams still get the game on regular outlets..... TBS will provide a backup to those markets

rdwj
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Great.

More "Frank TV" promos

That hasn't been cancelled yet?

Fenway
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
That hasn't been cancelled yet?

because of the writers strike it never really aired much

kaufsox
02-28-2008, 09:00 PM

I don't understand your argument here. Is there some additional expense to airing BOS/NYY games that I'm not aware of? Or are you suggesting some ethical quandary? Last I heard, TBS isn't a public television station so ratings drive their business.

Fenway
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't understand your argument here. Is there some additional expense to airing BOS/NYY games that I'm not aware of? Or are you suggesting some ethical quandary? Last I heard, TBS isn't a public television station so ratings drive their business.

This is the reality

TBS has no track record for Sunday afternoon games to base a rate card.

The ratings in April will help set the rates for the rest of the summer.

They are not going to run Texas at Tampa Bay

oeo
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Pretty cool, the more baseball the better

The Sox will be playing at the same time. I probably won't watch any of these games.

I don't really get the point of this, because I'm sure every fan would rather watch their own team if it's on at the same time. I'm not about to turn on the Flubs and the Phillies when I can be watching the Sox.

ksimpson14
02-28-2008, 09:14 PM
The Sox will be playing at the same time. I probably won't watch any of these games.

I don't really get the point of this, because I'm sure every fan would rather watch their own team if it's on at the same time. I'm not about to turn on the Flubs and the Phillies when I can be watching the Sox.

Well, I didn't check the times, yes, I'll be watching the Sox too. I guess there are exceptions of starting at a different time (west coast),rain outs, or one of the games ending earlier. I guess it's good if you are out of market and don't want to pay for one of the packages.

ksimpson14
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
They are not going to run Texas at Tampa Bay

And I don't want them to either.

FoulTerritory
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
No....local teams still get the game on regular outlets..... TBS will provide a backup to those markets

The problem isn't the local market, the problem is generating national interest in teams that aren't NY, BOS, or CHC. You do that in part by nationally broadcasting games of teams that might not create higher short term ratings, but solidify long term interest in the league by generating fan knowledge of players and teams from around the league, as opposed to just their home market + NY/BOS/CHC

For the past decade, television has proven very short sighted in their attempts at marketing the league as a whole. People don't want to watch a World Series that is made up of players they haven't been exposed to.

Fenway
02-28-2008, 09:31 PM
The problem isn't the local market, the problem is generating national interest in teams that aren't NY, BOS, or CHC. You do that in part by nationally broadcasting games of teams that might not create higher short term ratings, but solidify long term interest in the league by generating fan knowledge of players and teams from around the league, as opposed to just their home market + NY/BOS/CHC

For the past decade, television has proven very short sighted in their attempts at marketing the league as a whole. People don't want to watch a World Series that is made up of players they haven't been exposed to.

I know what you are saying and I agree it is a problem.

BUT MLB wants high rights fees. TBS paid them and wants to make a profit.

They know there are NYY, BOS and CHC fans in all 50 states that will watch.

The other sports do this as well....you didn't see the Dolphins playing Atlanta on a national feed last year. You don't see Memphis on TNT.

rdivaldi
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The Red Sox and Yankees have the best ratings, so we'll show their games. Thus creating more hype and fans, thus making sure that the Red Sox and Yankees have the best ratings and highest revenues from now until eternity.

Until MLB has some sort of salary cap or other way to make sure that teams aren't tripling or quadrupling spending of the rest of the league, I will continue to be against the complete over-saturation of Yankee-Red Sox games. I much prefer the NFL model where we aren't bombarded by east coast teams for every nationally televised game. If the NFL was run in the same way as MLB every Monday night game would feature at least one team from the NFC East or AFC East.

Sure I'm in the minority and most would rather see Evil Empire I and II than the Royals play the D'Rays. But I'd rather not fall into line and go with the rest of the herd.

Tragg
02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Why did they dump the Braves?

Kogs35
02-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I know what you are saying and I agree it is a problem.
The other sports do this as well....you didn't see the Dolphins playing Atlanta on a national feed last year. You don't see Memphis on TNT.

yes you do, on martin luther king day you do.

Fenway
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Why did they dump the Braves?

Because TBS is no longer WTBS Channel 17 in Atlanta

Last October they became WPCH-TV and call themselves Peachtree TV and it is not made available to cable systems in the US....it can be seen in Canada.

http://www.peachtreetv.com/

Peachtree still is the TV home of the Braves in Georgia

http://www.peachtreetv.com/sports/braves/

WhiteSox Brad
03-01-2008, 04:22 PM

Well said. I have never considered that perspective. I think you are on to something. By the way, what's Fenway doing on a White Sox site? Aren't there enough Red Sox sites for him to participate in?

Tragg
03-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Because TBS is no longer WTBS Channel 17 in Atlanta

Last October they became WPCH-TV and call themselves Peachtree TV and it is not made available to cable systems in the US....it can be seen in Canada.

http://www.peachtreetv.com/

Peachtree still is the TV home of the Braves in Georgia

http://www.peachtreetv.com/sports/braves/

Well, all I get now are the Astros and Cubs and occasionally the Sox.
And I'm moving in the summer and will likely lose the Cubs and Sox.

Fenway
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, all I get now are the Astros and Cubs and occasionally the Sox.
And I'm moving in the summer and will likely lose the Cubs and Sox.

The weird thing is Canada still gets the Braves.

The Canadian version of the FCC (CRTC) will allow a US over the air station to be retransmitted on cable in the country but a stand alone cable station has a lot of trouble being allowed. ESPN has never been allowed into Canada and finally they bought as much of TSN as the law would allow.

The WGN seen in Canada is the Chicago version as well not the superstaton.

Lip Man 1
03-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Foul:

Absolutely 100% correct in your thinking.

I've said it before...if the networks wanted to hype say the Houston Astros and make them a "nationally" known team they could do so.

The Boston Red Sox were crap throughout most of the 60's and 70's for example. They were garbage. This obsession with them the past fifteen years is a direct result of the doofuses at ESPN and Fox ramming their games down the throats of fans practically every week.

Never underestimate the power of the networks in picking and choosing who they want based on their reasons, which often have little to do with the game itself or the quality of the teams involved.

They won't show Texas or Tampa Bay but I'd guarantee you that when the Red Sox or Yankees fall to last place (which has to happen mathematically eventually) they'll STILL be ramming their games down everyone's throats.

Lip

rdivaldi
03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Foul:

Absolutely 100% correct in your thinking.

I've said it before...if the networks wanted to hype say the Houston Astros and make them a "nationally" known team they could do so.

The Boston Red Sox were crap throughout most of the 60's and 70's for example. They were garbage. This obsession with them the past fifteen years is a direct result of the doofuses at ESPN and Fox ramming their games down the throats of fans practically every week.

Never underestimate the power of the networks in picking and choosing who they want based on their reasons, which often have little to do with the game itself or the quality of the teams involved.

They won't show Texas or Tampa Bay but I'd guarantee you that when the Red Sox or Yankees fall to last place (which has to happen mathematically eventually) they'll STILL be ramming their games down everyone's throats.

Lip

:cheers:

I concur, well put Lip.

hdog1017
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Hopefully Tony Gwynn will still be a part of the TBS broadcast. I loved listening to him broadcast games while eating a Lady Baltimore cake.