PDA

View Full Version : Some older fans should be ashamed

Fenway
02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
The writer of this column is a city columnist for the Boston Globe, not a sportswriter.

He is really angry at the way adults pushed children away so they could get autographs. This is not a Boston problem as it happens with many other teams as well.

He has an idea on how to stop it. I think he is dead on and Bud Selig should order teams to do it.

Please comment.

Shameful squeeze plays (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/02/28/shameful_squeeze_plays/)

Rockin Robin
02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah this has been going on in every ballpark in america for as long as I can remember. There's not much that can be done about it, it's disgusting. But every once in awhile, when you see one of these fat slobs bite it and take a shot to the ribs when they trip over a seat or something...It never fails to make me laugh.

Fenway
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah this has been going on in every ballpark in america for as long as I can remember. There's not much that can be done about it, it's disgusting. But every once in awhile, when you see one of these fat slobs bite it and take a shot to the ribs when they trip over a seat or something...It never fails to make me laugh.

Having a kids only line for autographs would be a place to start.

Spring Training used to be a great place to bring kids....now why bother.

twsoxfan5
02-28-2008, 12:15 PM
When a group of kids is gathering to get autographs adults should steer clear no doubt. The problem is there are still a lot of adults out there who don't the difference between right and wrong.

Jjav829
02-28-2008, 12:20 PM
The adults who do that are just plain weird.

You're gonna push people (including kids) around to get another human being to write their name on something for you? Really? Are you 12? You should outgrow this thing at some point.

rocky biddle
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM

You're gonna push people (including kids) around to get another human being to write their name on something for you? Really? Are you 12? You should outgrow this thing at some point.

My sentiments exactly. To each his own, but IMO unless an athlete is signing his name on a check for me, I don't need his autograph.

hi im skot
02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
The Sox handle this pretty well.

On Kids Day, palyers sign autographs before the game...but only for kids. Kids love it, and I think players get a real kick out of it, too. I watched from afar as my little sister met Podsednik and Pablo a couple seasons ago. They both talked with her a bit, and Pablo especially seemed to really be having a good time.

I'm not a big autograph collector, as I'd prefer to just shake a player's hand. However, Soxfest provides me with the opporunity to say hello, shake hands, and get a nice souvenir in the process.

Pregame autographs should just be for kids.

Iwritecode
02-28-2008, 01:45 PM

On Kids Day, palyers sign autographs before the game...but only for kids. Kids love it, and I think players get a real kick out of it, too. I watched from afar as my little sister met Podsednik and Pablo a couple seasons ago. They both talked with her a bit, and Pablo especially seemed to really be having a good time.

My kids' first game was on a Kids Day. They got some autographs of some guys that didn't stick around too long. The one I really remember is Kelly Wunsch, who I actually got to talk to at Soxfest a few months prior. I told my daughter that his name was Kelly and they talked for a little bit.

She's still more into pokemon and video games than baseball though. :tongue:

I'm not a big autograph collector, as I'd prefer to just shake a player's hand. However, Soxfest provides me with the opporunity to say hello, shake hands, and get a nice souvenir in the process.

That's the only time I've ever gotten any autographs. I've never even bothered at games. Although my parents never took me to games when I was younger so I missed my opportunity. :(:

I'm still going to keep the first foul/homerun/batting practice ball I catch. If I ever manage to get one.

asg2003ws2005
02-28-2008, 01:50 PM

Pregame autographs should just be for kids.I've goten autgraphs on kids day, and I'm 28.

Kids day autos are standard sox procedure. cattle call lines.

hi im skot
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I've goten autgraphs on kids day, and I'm 28.

I've seen adults in line with their kids, but never adults actually getting autographs.

Lines on kids days should be for kids and only kids.

WhiteSox5187
02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I've seen adults in line with their kids, but never adults actually getting autographs.

I agree 110%, I don't understand what the whole obession with getting autographs is, when I was younger I got Big Cat Williams to sign something and as I recall he didn't even look at me and I don't blame him. I think it's so much cooler to have a conversation with a guy, even if it's just saying "Hello." When I was an usher for the Cubs I used to watch the pitchers warm up and sometimes they'd talk to me (and the rest of the ushers) and I thought that was so much cooler than having them sign a piece of paper.

thomas35forever
02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
It's not just autographs, it's foul balls too. I'm sure there are people on here who remember that incident during a Rangers-Cardinals game a few years ago where a man scooched a little kid out of the way to collect a ball and kept it for himself. The entire ballpark went in an uproar and the Rangers announcer went as far as calling the fan "the biggest jerk in this park." The kid ended up something along the lines of four balls and two bats during the game.

The story does have a happy ending as the man agreed to give the kid the original ball.

itsnotrequired
02-28-2008, 07:11 PM
The story does have a happy ending as the man agreed to give the kid the original ball.

IIRC, he also bought him tickets to a future game.

soxinem1
02-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Those ******* memorabilia pricks with the books filled with 20 cards for one guy drive me batty, both as a kid and adult. They would literally shove their way in.

MarySwiss
02-28-2008, 08:17 PM

My sentiments exactly. To each his own, but IMO unless an athlete is signing his name on a check for me, I don't need his autograph.

Well, in some cases, that's exactly it. I was at the final full-squad workout in 2006, which was a little more crowded then usual because they had just won the WS. There was a group of so-called adults standing next to me, bragging about how much they sold so-and-so's autograph for, trying to one up each other.

So, after the workout, some of the Sox were signing. I had my "Dedicated To..." book and got some signatures on it. I had just gotten Crede's and was done, when I saw this little kid, maybe 9 or 10, waiting to get his baseball signed by Joe. He was next in line, but he kept getting elbowed aside by these clowns and being a nice polite kid, he just kept patiently waiting his turn. Thing is, these guys only sign for a limited time, and Crede had been out there awhile. So I got behind the kid, waited until Joe finished signing, and then I pushed the kid forward, said "excuse me" and threw a pretty fair hip check on the adult that was trying to cut in front of him. :smile:

Cool part: Crede caught this, smiled, signed the kid's ball, and that was the last one he signed, so Mr E-Bay was out of luck.

You have to wonder if this isn't part of the reason why ballplayers are reluctant to sign sometimes.

beckett21
02-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, in some cases, that's exactly it. I was at the final full-squad workout in 2006, which was a little more crowded then usual because they had just won the WS. There was a group of so-called adults standing next to me, bragging about how much they sold so-and-so's autograph for, trying to one up each other.

So, after the workout, some of the Sox were signing. I had my "Dedicated To..." book and got some signatures on it. I had just gotten Crede's and was done, when I saw this little kid, maybe 9 or 10, waiting to get his baseball signed by Joe. He was next in line, but he kept getting elbowed aside by these clowns and being a nice polite kid, he just kept patiently waiting his turn. Thing is, these guys only sign for a limited time, and Crede had been out there awhile. So I got behind the kid, waited until Joe finished signing, and then I pushed the kid forward, said "excuse me" and threw a pretty fair hip check on the adult that was trying to cut in front of him. :smile:

Cool part: Crede caught this, smiled, signed the kid's ball, and that was the last one he signed, so Mr E-Bay was out of luck.

You have to wonder if this isn't part of the reason why ballplayers are reluctant to sign sometimes.

No need to wonder. I'd be willing to bet this is the reason about 90% of the time.

I agree that autographs should be for kids. For adults it is either money-driven or borderline stalking. The only plausible excuse to me is if they are giving it to a kid.

cws05champ
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM

No doubt, these autograph hawks are just looking to get these guys signatures just for cash....nothing more. They make me sick just watching them mill around trying to get another ball signed.

WagMan
02-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I beg to differ that adults who collect autographs do it only for cash. I have a humble collection of autographed baseballs which are just for my (and one day my kids) enjoyment. I do not like the adults who push and shove just to get something signed for eBay or whatever though...

I was in Pittsburgh 2 years ago when the Sox were there and was appalled by the measures some adults were taking to get near the players to have their item signed. We got there as the gates opened to check out the park and were nearly run over by this hoard of crazy people. That's not cool. But, to say all people who try to get autographs are bad is not true either.

beckett21
02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I beg to differ that adults who collect autographs do it only for cash. I have a humble collection of autographed baseballs which are just for my (and one day my kids) enjoyment. I do not like the adults who push and shove just to get something signed for eBay or whatever though...

I was in Pittsburgh 2 years ago when the Sox were there and was appalled by the measures some adults were taking to get near the players to have their item signed. We got there as the gates opened to check out the park and were nearly run over by this hoard of crazy people. That's not cool. But, to say all people who try to get autographs are bad is not true either.

It's not fair to paint with a broad brush, but I'd guess that you are in the minority. There's certainly nothing wrong with it, but some people just take it way too far. It's a shame, because I loved to get autographs as a kid. There's just no thrill in it for me now, though I would do it for my son.

The last item I had autographed was a baseball my dad caught at old Comiskey during BP. We were just outside of the foul pole and Larry Parrish, then with Texas, hit a ball which my dad caught on the fly bare-handed. He kept that ball for a few years before finally giving it to me--he was afraid I was going to use it to play ball with my friends. :tongue:

I went to a Mud Hens game a couple of years ago and had it autographed by Parrish, who is their manager now. He got a kick out of the story when I told him. Being able to give the ball back to my dad, autographed by the guy who hit it, was a great feeling. That ball provided both of us with a nice lifetime memory.

stockonline2
02-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I remember going to the last game Cal Ripken Jr. played against the Sox when I was younger. I was standing behind the visitor's on deck circle and Cal was walking down signing everyone in the front row's things. I was just about next in line when this guy pushes me out of the way to get an autograph. He got one. I didn't.

:angry:

michned
02-29-2008, 11:22 PM

I remember that day, too. There were a lot of people there that day and I never so saw many adults push their way in front of kids. My boy was eight at the time and he stood no chance, and I'm sure the players realized this because a few of the guys (Crede, Thome, Paulie, and Pablo) went out of their way to sign his ball, and Chris Stewart gave him a bat, which made his day.

This year at the last Saturday practice there was hardly anyone there (30 or 40 people, tops) so all the kids there had a blast getting autographs.

mwc44
02-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Those ******* memorabilia pricks with the books filled with 20 cards for one guy drive me batty, both as a kid and adult. They would literally shove their way in.

Those guys show up EVERY day at EVERY Sox Fantasy Camp and are royal pains in the ass. They even go as far as sending the camp e-mails a month in advance asking who will be there so they can get their books together (their e-mails are never answered).

The Fantasy Camp has great coaches, who are great people, but let's be honest, what are 200 autographed Ed Herrmann and Mark Salas (two long time EXCELLENT camp coaches) baseball cards really worth? :scratch:

rdwj
03-01-2008, 12:10 AM

You should be ashamed of yourself. Leave kids day for kids

WhiteSox5187
03-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Those guys show up EVERY day at EVERY Sox Fantasy Camp and are royal pains in the ass. They even go as far as sending the camp e-mails a month in advance asking who will be there so they can get their books together (their e-mails are never answered).

The Fantasy Camp has great coaches, who are great people, but let's be honest, what are 200 autographed Ed Herrmann and Mark Salas (two long time EXCELLENT camp coaches) baseball cards really worth? :scratch:
I thought the whole point of fantasy camp was to actually don the uni and play...getting an autograph doesn't sound like much of a fantasy to me.

Nellie_Fox
03-01-2008, 01:56 AM
I thought the whole point of fantasy camp was to actually don the uni and play...getting an autograph doesn't sound like much of a fantasy to me.I didn't get the impression that the campers and the autograph hunters are the same people.

Steelrod
03-01-2008, 06:26 AM
I didn't get the impression that the campers and the autograph hunters are the same people.
I didn't think so either.
However, if your fantasy is getting lots of autographs, that is your fantasy. Camps should provide whatever you dream of. Me, I always wondered about being a star and having groupies!

asg2003ws2005
03-01-2008, 06:53 AM

You should be ashamed of yourself. Leave kids day for kids
I should point out i was with my girlfriend and her sister, who was 12 at the time.
I had garland and dye sign my ticket. They didnt seem to care who was getting autos. All I recall was the sox staffer repeatedly telling people one item per person.

Oh, and rdwj? I dont care what you think. My point is that on kids day, it's a simple cattle call line. Cant shove for a spot when they make you WAIT IN LINE. And that they dont enforce the kids only rule.

chaerulez
03-01-2008, 08:15 AM

Well said. Same for adults who plow down people to catch a ball into the stands.

mwc44
03-01-2008, 08:49 AM
I thought the whole point of fantasy camp was to actually don the uni and play...getting an autograph doesn't sound like much of a fantasy to me.

I didn't get the impression that the campers and the autograph hunters are the same people.

You are correct, Nellie. The "hunters" just show up with multiple albums and hundreds of cards and try to stop each coach as they come out or are heading back to the clubhouse. Most of the coaches are gracious, but they know what's going on... maybe sign three or four, then head out to the fields or inside.

rdwj
03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I should point out i was with my girlfriend and her sister, who was 12 at the time.
I had garland and dye sign my ticket. They didnt seem to care who was getting autos. All I recall was the sox staffer repeatedly telling people one item per person.

Oh, and rdwj? I dont care what you think. My point is that on kids day, it's a simple cattle call line. Cant shove for a spot when they make you WAIT IN LINE. And that they dont enforce the kids only rule.

Being with a 12 yr old makes it a bit different. If you were purely out for yourself, I would have a problem with it.

28 yr old guy taking a kid to get autographs = cool
28 yr old guy going to kids day to GET autographs = asshat

Fenway
03-03-2008, 10:42 PM
This really stinks

http://wbztv.com/redsox/Autograph.Autographed.Baseball.2.667763.html

MarySwiss
03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I remember that day, too. There were a lot of people there that day and I never so saw many adults push their way in front of kids. My boy was eight at the time and he stood no chance, and I'm sure the players realized this because a few of the guys (Crede, Thome, Paulie, and Pablo) went out of their way to sign his ball, and Chris Stewart gave him a bat, which made his day.

This year at the last Saturday practice there was hardly anyone there (30 or 40 people, tops) so all the kids there had a blast getting autographs.

Sorry I couldn't get down there this year, especially since I have a baseball I wanted to get autographed for my 14-year-old nephew. I'm not surprised the attendance was down, though, considering last year's awful play. I'm aso bummed that I couldnt have lunch over at Mama Louisa's. Rats!

Frontman
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
When a group of kids is gathering to get autographs adults should steer clear no doubt. The problem is there are still a lot of adults out there who don't the difference between right and wrong.

I thought we were just having this discussion in the Parking Lot.

The concept of right and wrong, as well as being responsible; has gone the way of everything else.

That type of behavior disgusts me. I remember when you could go and get an autograph by just waiting by the players parking lot. Nowadays, players can't take that risk with all the crazy folks out there.

Rockin Robin
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
This really stinks

Not surprising. In the last few months I've had 2 personal experiences with either homeland security, or the airline going in to my luggage and taking something of value. Last time, it was a watch.

You call the airline, they say they never open luggage. It's homeland security. You call homeland security, they say it's the airline. And back and forth and back and forth. It's a joke.

Jenks4Prez
03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Old men who want autographs are total d bags... Get a life

spawn
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Old men who want autographs are total d bags... Get a life
I'm 40 years old, and I'm looking forward to getting autographs when I hit ST in 2 weeks. Are you going to call me a "d bag" and tell me to "get a life"?

hi im skot
03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm 40 years old, and I'm looking forward to getting autographs when I hit ST in 2 weeks.

You bastard.

:redneck

spawn
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
You bastard.

:redneck
Any kid getting in my way will be clotheslined...believe it! :redneck

Fenway
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
This really stinks

A relative of a WSI regular poster comes to the rescue :)

WZLX and Sportsworld in Saugus get the little girl another ball

http://www.wzlx.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1582980

9-yr old Catina Lopez had her Red Sox autographed baseball stolen from her luggage on her way back from Florida. K&M pitch in to help her get a new one!