PDA

View Full Version : Pedro Alvarez out

cws05champ
02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
FYI: Pedro Alvarez broke a bone in his hand in his first game for Vandy this year. Should be back later in the season. Could this affect his draft status and cause him to slip to the Sox? We shall see....

btrain929
02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Interesting. It'll be more interesting if he does come back and then struggles. He's a proven player in the past, but do you really take that kind of guy with your 8th pick in the draft with so much uncertainty? Time will tell...

sox1970
02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Anyone know where Justin Smoak projects to go? I think a power lefty 1st baseman would be a good pick.

cws05champ
02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Anyone know where Justin Smoak projects to go? I think a power lefty 1st baseman would be a good pick.
I think he is projected in the top 5 right now(and the #1 power hitter), but it really depends on what happens this season. Other prospects could rise and fall depending on the seasons they have. Smoak is a switch hitter and can mash from both sides.

cws05champ
02-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Interesting. It'll be more interesting if he does come back and then struggles. He's a proven player in the past, but do you really take that kind of guy with your 8th pick in the draft with so much uncertainty? Time will tell...
He is listed as out indefinitely with a minimum of being out 6 weeks. If he slips to 8th, I think you can not pass up on the best pure hitter in the draft.

I'm off the see the Mets/Cards play in an hour....I'm out.

Britt Burns
02-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Even with the injury, I can't see Alvarez slipping to our slot. he's just too good. I don't think smoak will either, which is unfortunate because the more I read about him the better he seems to get.

btrain929
02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I really wish you could trade draft picks in MLB. You could do so many other things (trade veterans for draft picks, trade a draft pick and a player/prospect or a higher draft pick, package picks together to get a MLB player), etc, that you can't do now. Plus, I think it'd be good business to hype up the TV portion of the draft a little more.