PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Spring Training Opener

soxfan21
02-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Just wanted to see what everyone here thought about how the Sox played in the first game of spring. Even though this is only the first spring game and there are still kinks to be worked out, I wasn't really impressed today. Danks did pretty good for the short time he was in, but he was really the only one that made a good impression on me today. I was kind of dissappointed in Dewon Day today, and was also dissappointed that we had 3 errors, left 15 men on base, and also left the bases loaded twice and could not capitalize on these situations. I was happy to see that we had more hits than the Rockies though. Your guys thoughts on this game?

IceczMan
02-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Dewon Day has to have something on someone in the organization for him to still be on the 40 man roster.

Daver
02-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Just wanted to see what everyone here thought about how the Sox played in the first game of spring. Even though this is only the first spring game and there are still kinks to be worked out, I wasn't really impressed today. Danks did pretty good for the short time he was in, but he was really the only one that made a good impression on me today. I was kind of dissappointed in Dewon Day today, and was also dissappointed that we had 3 errors, left 15 men on base, and also left the bases loaded twice and could not capitalize on these situations. I was happy to see that we had more hits than the Rockies though. Your guys thoughts on this game?

Today was the first of a long string of absolutely meaningless games.

ksimpson14
02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Hard to tell by radio, wish I had the TV feed, but it's just hard to judge either way. If pitchers do badly, it's hard to judge since they can be working on things, rusty, etc. Some people like the "air" excuse. If they do well, against what caliber batters? Batters can be off too, without seeing the live pitching. If they do well though, is it thanks to those pitchers reasons above? Just good to get people work in, hope no one gets hurt, and away to the season you go

skobabe8
02-27-2008, 07:28 PM
If they had played awesome, I would feel no different about the 2008 season.

Railsplitter
02-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Get your mistakes out of the way now, before the season starts.

sox1970
02-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Dewon Day has to have something on someone in the organization for him to still be on the 40 man roster.

He's a favorite of Kenny Williams.

Frontman
02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Precisely. We as fans have no idea if Danks was told to "pound the inside with fastballs/cutters" and they just sat on that. We have no idea if the errors (since this was radio) something that could of been avoided or were those mental mistakes that all players do from time to time.

Simply put, it was exciting to hear Sox baseball on the radio, but I'm also glad that not every game is being broadcast.

I did like this new format, where Danks came up into the booth. It gives the fans a chance to hear from these guys and know what they were working on, what is there mentality, etc.

Brian26
02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Fields may have 25 errors before Opening Day.

veeter
02-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I was happy to see Lucas Harrell threw a scoreless ninth. He is a sleeper. Arm problems slowed down a very strong season last year.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-27-2008, 10:08 PM
After today's game I contemplated jumping off a milk crate.

Parrothead
02-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I was highly dissapointed at the bad defense, bad base running by Uribe, lack of run production with runners in scoring position and Danks' outing (getting pounded in the first).

Buckle in people it is going to be a long season.:(: This is the same stuff that plagued the Sox last year. To all who say it is a meaningless game...tell that to all the kids who are trying to make the team where one mistake could send them down to the minors. Performing well leads to winning. They did not do that today. The Sox showed they are what they were last year.

kevingrt
02-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Glad to see Ehren have a nice solid inning of work. He is one guy I really want to see and am rooting for to be on the 25 man roster come Opening Day. I can only pray though. I'm not going to lie if I could get one Sox jersey the name on the back would be Wasserman.

oeo
02-27-2008, 10:39 PM

Do we have to go through this every year? These games do not matter...it's pre-season for a reason. The pitchers are not completely ready to go yet, these guys haven't seen real live pitching in months, and the same goes with fielding.

This is the point of Spring Training...to get back into the swing of things. There's no reason to be stressing out over (especially) Game 1...we haven't even hit March yet. If there's a week to go before Opening Day and we're still seeing the same types of problems, then there should be some concern; not on February 27.

You can tell this by one game, in which he made one mistake? You're good...

And it appears his error was throwing...which was not his problem last year.

champagne030
02-27-2008, 10:46 PM

And 200+ K's by the of the season.......:o:

Parrothead
02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Do we have to go through this every year? These games do not matter...it's pre-season for a reason. The pitchers are not completely ready to go yet, these guys haven't seen real live pitching in months, and the same goes with fielding.

This is the point of Spring Training...to get back into the swing of things. There's no reason to be stressing out over (especially) Game 1...we haven't even hit March yet. If there's a week to go before Opening Day and we're still seeing the same types of problems, then there should be some concern; not on February 27.

There should always be concern we your starters (players who are expected to make the team) are not doing thier jobs well. It does not matter what day it is. IMO your attitude breeds a losing attitude. See Dusty Bakers' Cub teams. There was no responsibility or concern with them and they blew.

kittle42
02-27-2008, 11:53 PM
There should always be concern we your starters (players who are expected to make the team) are not doing thier jobs well. It does not matter what day it is. IMO your attitude breeds a losing attitude. See Dusty Bakers' Cub teams. There was no responsibility or concern with them and they blew.

Puh-leeze.

Can everyone who is going to pick apart ****ING preseason games just go in a hole until March 31?

ksimpson14
02-28-2008, 12:09 AM

I critique the team, but you're going way over the top. Not that we're the best, but don't act like every WS Champion never made a mistake along the way

Jaysox
02-28-2008, 02:39 AM
I was glad I got to watch the game, was wondering if I'd have to listen on the radio. Yeah I realize these games don't mean much but there were a few guys I didn't expect anything out of and they looked pretty good, like Boone Logan and Brian Anderson. Again, it's only one game but they looked good. Glad baseball is starting up again.

Frontman
02-28-2008, 06:31 AM

Erm, ok. So the White Sox, since "dey didn' show da fire an' da passion out dere today, dats all I'm sayin'," that they are on par with the San Fransico Giants (that went to the Series, by the way with Dusty as their manager) and the Cubs (which played pretty good until a guy 'blew' their chances to advance, again with Dusty at the helm.) And we as a fanbase are the equivalent of their fanbases, who forgive steroid usage and blaming a fan for reaching for a ball, to the point the guy has to move?) Your commentary sounds like its from the Mike North show, for cryin' out loud.

"But Ozzie, Dr. Coop, AJ, and da rest are MY GUYS, right Ozzie?"

:ass

"Shaddup, North. You BLEEPIN' piece of BLEEP. I wanna BLEEPIN do dis to your BLEEPIN neck, you BLEEPIN BLEEP, BLEEEP!"
http://homerderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/ozzie-choke-small.jpg

Is that your point? Just because Dusty proves to be a joke overall does not mean he hasn't gotten a team to perform. And even those who bleed Cubbie blue turned on Dusty by the end.

So some of the Sox didn't do well in the very first "live action" game they played. It's a practice game. Means nothing come October. But, with them doing so poorly; we as Sox fans immediately should write off the season if they don't come out firing with all their guns and turn it around in their next game? Or we should be yelling/slamming/getting aggravated, over a glorified practice?

I'm sorry, to equate myself or another fan who doesn't get upset over a meaningless loss in the first Spring Training game of 2008 to Cubs or Giants fans?

Please. I'm forgiving, but I'm not THAT forgiving. It's ST, not game 4 of the Series. As you can see, I'd rather laugh over stuff than get mad or upset. If the Sox do as poorly this season as last season? I'll be watching on TV or listening to the radio; not going to the ballpark. That's how I would show my frustraion.

But getting on here, pounding out my anger and aggression over Spring Training games? This isn't a real game, its practice. (I'd do the whole Allen Iverson 'practice' bit, but I think you get my point.)

Parrothead
02-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Is that your point?

My point is there is no such thing as a meaningless game or practice. They all matter, Spring training, games in April, May, ect....

They are there playing / practicing to get better and it is not happening. The same mistakes and lack of production as last year and the year before are happening again.

Like you I will and have shown my frustration by not going to as many games as I did last year. Yes, I canceled my season tix and buying some games from another guy with season tix.

Frontman
02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
My point is there is no such thing as a meaningless game or practice. They all matter, Spring training, games in April, May, ect....

They are there playing / practicing to get better and it is not happening. The same mistakes and lack of production as last year and the year before are happening again.

In one game, you can tell they haven't improved?!?!?! That they have to have better performance each game out?

By that philosophy, they really need to trade Mark Buehrle. That guy hasn't improved, he's backslid!

I mean, he threw the no-hitter in April in 2007, and went the rest of the season without getting a perfect game. Obviously he's not improving.

spawn
02-28-2008, 07:07 AM

They've been practicing for what, 2 weeks now? They've played one ST game. And you're able to tell after one ****ing game what the makeup of this team is? Un****ingbelieveable. :kukoo::nuts:

voodoochile
02-28-2008, 07:40 AM

Now we've taken it to the next logical level of craziness. Since there is no concern there is obviously no sense of responsibility and no one will be held accountable for their failure to produce.

Yeah, today sucked and guess what there are going to be real season games - games that count which look just like today. Every team has them.

The good news is that the pitchers who are expected to make the team gave up 2 runs and only one of them earned. Oh and Brian Anderson took a walk and ran down another gapper. Come on Brian, take the job or at least up your trade value...

JorgeFabregas
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Oh and Brian Anderson took a walk and ran down another gapper. Come on Brian, take the job or at least up your trade value...
And hit a double off the wall.

spawn
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
And hit a double off the wall.
He also struck out twice, once with the bases loaded after being up in the count 3-0. Not trying to be a DC, just pointing out things he needs to improve on if he expects to make this or any other team.

soxwon
02-28-2008, 08:22 AM

Today starts a winning streak, KW Ozzie, JR all insist we WIN in spring, They will win this spring, its a MUST.
2 or 3 in a row comin right up.

pretty good prediction here, one that actually happened!!!

doublem23
02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Dear White Sox,

I know the games don't mean anything, but we really need you to win one for our collective sanity.

Thanks,

WSI

Bob G
02-28-2008, 08:32 AM
According to Ozzie these games are meaningful and they're going to try to win as many as they can to establish a winning attitude unlike last year.

It's only the first ST game but if we end up with a similar record as last year when ST is finished I wouldn't expect a miracle to happen once the season starts.

Personally I would like to see us execute the basics - there's been a lot of talk about this already - hopefully we'll see it in the games.

rdwj
02-28-2008, 08:38 AM
I know it's the first game of the pre-season, but it seemed like a "to be continued" episode of last year. I don't mind pitchers getting hit if they're working on something, but errors and dumb running mistakes irk me.

spawn
02-28-2008, 09:03 AM
I know it's the first game of the pre-season, but it seemed like a "to be continued" episode of last year. I don't mind pitchers getting hit if they're working on something, but errors and dumb running mistakes irk me.
Spring Training is just that...training. I'm not going to base everything on one game, and I'm sure ozzie isn't either. If the errors and baserunning blunders continue through the course of ST, then there will be a legitimate reason to be concerned. But let's be realistic. This is the first organized actual game these players have played since the season ended. Don't pass judgement from what you saw in one game.

Carolina Kenny
02-28-2008, 09:09 AM

THE CASE WHY THIS LOSS IS MEANINGFUL
1. Ozzie said he wants to win as many games as possible
2. Do Da Day continues his march to obscurity/AAA
3. Leaving the bases loadeed twice in one game stinks whenever it happens
4. I've seen Joe Crede and Josh Fields is no Joe Crede

hi im skot
02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
THE CASE WHY THIS LOSS IS MEANINGFUL
1. Ozzie said he wants to win as many games as possible
2. Do Da Day continues his march to obscurity/AAA
3. Leaving the bases loadeed twice in one game stinks whenever it happens
4. I've seen Joe Crede and Josh Fields is no Joe Crede

BLOW IT UP NOW, THIS TEAM IS TOAST.

:dtroll:

sox1970
02-28-2008, 09:18 AM
:threadsucks

rdivaldi
02-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Buckle in people it is going to be a long season.:(: This is the same stuff that plagued the Sox last year. To all who say it is a meaningless game...tell that to all the kids who are trying to make the team where one mistake could send them down to the minors. Performing well leads to winning. They did not do that today. The Sox showed they are what they were last year.

:thud:

This leaves me speechless...

downstairs
02-28-2008, 09:21 AM

The results of the games are meaningless, but I wouldn't say the "games are meaningless."

I think we'll learn a lot about the young/new players, as well as adjustments the vets are making.

rdivaldi
02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
I said this yesterday and I'll say it again today. For the first couple of weeks I'm not all that concerned with the final scores, there will be quite a few guys playing that will have no bearing on the regular season. But, for the last two weeks or so after the Dewon Days of the world are gone I will be much more concerned. We were 3-10-1 in the final two weeks last year.

Jurr
02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I said this yesterday and I'll say it again today. For the first couple of weeks I'm not all that concerned with the final scores, there will be quite a few guys playing that will have no bearing on the regular season. But, for the last two weeks or so after the Dewon Days of the world are gone I will be much more concerned. We were 3-10-1 in the final two weeks last year.
Yup. Konerko said in an interview that they begin to really gauge things after the second week in March. They have a day or two off then return to spring training, and that's when the rubber should meet the road.

Now is the time where players are focusing on minutia. Danks might be working on his changeup. Konerko might be focusing on finding one pitch to work on taking the ball the opposite way. It's not time for dissecting whether the team wins or not. Sheesh.

rdivaldi
02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
I was happy to see Lucas Harrell threw a scoreless ninth. He is a sleeper. Arm problems slowed down a very strong season last year.

I was also happy to see Lucas get back in there, he has some decent upside. However, he did not pitch in 2007, the injury sidelined him for the entire year. His 2006 was good except for some wildness.

KenBerryGrab
02-28-2008, 09:53 AM
In the famous words of Droopy Dog, "we're doomed."

http://www.zachary.com/s/static/droopy.jpeg

Save McCuddy's
02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
BA's suckiness proves to be visible even through radio waves. In a meaningless game you'd like to think a guy could do something with a 3-0 count and the bases loaded. :gulp:

diehardRLsoxfan
02-28-2008, 10:36 AM
BA's suckiness proves to be visible even through radio waves. In a meaningless game you'd like to think a guy could do something with a 3-0 count and the bases loaded. :gulp:

You'd like to think....you'd like to think.:(:

kobo
02-28-2008, 10:38 AM
He also hit a double off the wall, took a walk and made a nice play on a ball hit in the gap during the game. Can't please everyone though, I guess.

kaufsox
02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
In the famous words of Droopy Dog, "we're doomed."

http://www.zachary.com/s/static/droopy.jpeg

droopy? I don't remember him saying that. Glum from the Adventures of Gulliver on the other hand...

BTW, all of the people gnashing their teeth and tearing their garments after ONE spring game, you need to relax or you will have a heart attack. On the upside, we won't have to read your posts anymore :D:

Carolina Kenny
02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
BLOW IT UP NOW, THIS TEAM IS TOAST.

:dtroll:

Ozzie has set the bar high for this spring camp. He wants the team to be sharp, look sharp. Kenny W. has yelled at Swish from the stands to run harder.

Then the Sox go out, put the crappy Do Da Day out there to walk everyone, Uribe makes baserunning mistakes, Fields makes errors, and we leave the bases loaded twice.
This makes me sad.

jenn2080
02-28-2008, 11:02 AM

For his sake I really hope he gets traded because no matter what he does, BA will always get **** on. I guess you missed that nice double he had.:rolleyes:

hi im skot
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Ozzie has set the bar high for this spring camp. He wants the team to be sharp, look sharp. Kenny W. has yelled at Swish from the stands to run harder.

Then the Sox go out, put the crappy Do Da Day out there to walk everyone, Uribe makes baserunning mistakes, Fields makes errors, and we leave the bases loaded twice.
This makes me sad.

I understand your frustration, but as other posters mentioned, this is the first "real" game most of these guys have played since last September.

I didn't hear anything about Ozzie blowing up after yesterday's game, so I'm going to keep cool as well.

diehardRLsoxfan
02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
For his sake I really hope he gets traded because no matter what he does, BA will always get **** on. I guess you missed that nice double he had.:rolleyes:

He craps his pants when it matters most...at the plate that is. Of course ST games are meaningless so it could just be that he sucks period. Yep thats it I think.

oeo
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM

This makes me sad.

Take a deep breath...

This makes me wonder how some of you make it through the regular season. My behavior parallels the way the Sox are playing during the season, but when I saw the box score yesterday, I saw that Dewon Day gave up 3 runs. Nothing new there...shrugged my shoulders and moved on.

Jjav829
02-28-2008, 11:15 AM
My thoughts are...at least Spring Training games are starting. That's about it. I couldn't care less about anything that happened yesterday. Or anything that happens today. In a week or so, I'll start to care a bit more about the individual performances as players begin to get back into a rhythm of playing everyday.

ksimpson14
02-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I love Spring Training from a personal standpoint (until it starts to drag and I want that season to start) with the way I follow it, but have realized I hate it from the message board standpoint. I won't say 'fanatic', because I have one, and even as a young guy, have experience from prior years to know how much you can take from spring training. Actually seeing it in person (or at least on video) helps, but even then, there's a lot of things to consider...

Save McCuddy's
02-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Yes, I did miss the double -- but I doubt it would have done much to change my quantitative opinion of said Brian's suckiness.

hi im skot
02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
I love Spring Training from a personal standpoint (until it starts to drag and I want that season to start) with the way I follow it, but have realized I hate it from the message board standpoint. I won't say 'fanatic', because I have one, and even as a young guy, have experience from prior years to know how much you can take from spring training. Actually seeing it in person (or at least on video) helps, but even then, there's a lot of things to consider...

I read this post three times and still don't quite understand what you're trying to say.

soxwon
03-01-2008, 06:25 PM
3 in a row as predicted see post#27,best ST start in ages, its all about a winning attitude. Thats why we will do this!!!