PDA

View Full Version : Honel update...

Randar68
04-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Kris Honel picks up his first win of the season. He pitched 6 innings, giving up 0 hits, but 1 ER on 4 BB's and 7 K's.

Devlis Lantigua picked up the win for Charlotte, Steve Madril got the win in extra innings for Winston-Salem (good start by Heath Phillips, 7 IP, 4 H, 1 unER), and Josh Stewart pitched a gem in Birmingham's win, going 7 IP, 2H, 0R, 1 BB, 3 K's...

Tonight's pitchers:
AAA: Thomas Jacquez (0-1 7.00)
AA: Wade Parrish (1-0 2.81)
highA: Wyatt Allen (2-0 1.04)
lowA: Craig Szado (2-0 1.50)

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 11:28 AM
4 walks is a lot for Honel. Did he have surgury? or just sit out to heal last year? Is he in AA?

Randar68
04-24-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
4 walks is a lot for Honel. Did he have surgury? or just sit out to heal last year? Is he in AA?

I am nearly 100% that he did not have surgery. He only sat out the offseason to let his wrist heal, I think. Daver knows these details for sure.

As I recall, he has some lingering wrist/elbow pain, most likely tendinitis. The Sox gave him a break from their offseason throwing program if I recall correctly...

Also, If you saw Kris in person, that type of thing would not be a surprise, as he's rail-thin.

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

I am nearly 100% that he did not have surgery. He only sat out the offseason to let his wrist heal, I think. Daver knows these details for sure.

As I recall, he has some lingering wrist/elbow pain, most likely tendinitis. The Sox gave him a break from their offseason throwing program if I recall correctly...

Also, If you saw Kris in person, that type of thing would not be a surprise, as he's rail-thin.

Yeah. I remember them debating over surgury, but that could easily be just from him pitching 20 games in hs and then throwing twice as many the next season. Hopefully his arm adjusts. The albow scares me a little though.

He's in AA right? or is he rehabbing in A?

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 11:37 AM
I saw Kris at Comiskey after he was drafted last year. he threw out the 1st pitch and looked nervous as hell. Ball dropped 5 feet before teh plate. lol He i a skinny kid.

Randar68
04-24-2002, 11:41 AM

Yeah. I remember them debating over surgury, but that could easily be just from him pitching 20 games in hs and then throwing twice as many the next season. Hopefully his arm adjusts. The albow scares me a little though.

He's in AA right? or is he rehabbing in A?

He's in Low A ball, where every teenager in their first full-season league should start out.

BTW, last year, pitched his HS season, and then threw another 56 innings in 11 games (9 starts) between rookie Arizona and Bristol...

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 11:45 AM

He's in Low A ball, where every teenager in their first full-season league should start out.

BTW, last year, pitched his HS season, and then threw another 56 innings in 11 games (9 starts) between rookie Arizona and Bristol...

Ahhh yes. that would be correct. He came up late in the season right after hs in low A

duke of dorwood
04-24-2002, 12:09 PM
I am sure he didnt have surgery.

:nardi

"Let's plug him and see if he's ripe"

Randar68
04-24-2002, 12:56 PM

Ahhh yes. that would be correct. He came up late in the season right after hs in low A

To be specific, he pitched in Rookie Ball, which is technically a step below A ball...

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 01:04 PM

To be specific, he pitched in Rookie Ball, which is technically a step below A ball...

Ok got me again. :smile:

MattSharp
04-24-2002, 01:34 PM
I have a bunch of friends who played ball with him in Junior High and the beginning part of HS. I heard he is a cocky guy, but they do say he is good..........

DrCrawdad
04-24-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I have a bunch of friends who played ball with him in Junior High and the beginning part of HS. I heard he is a cocky guy, but they do say he is good..........

Cocky pitcher? I'll take a pitcher with some attitude. We've seen two pitchers with very little attitude in Kip Wells and Garland.

Jimmy Piersall says that Garland does have any "balls". Well, maybe Jimmy saw Garland in the shower during both of their tenures with the Cub.

- DrCrawdad.