PDA

View Full Version : Long HRs. at old Comiskey

misty60481
02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I have been reading the long homers at the Cell, but I saw over 40+ years of games at old Comiskey. I know with the difference in dimensions between the 2 parks the Cell has more memories. But I can remember some pretty long homers at Comiskey. I saw 2 roof shots,. one by a catcher Tom Egan and saw Luzinsky in later years after dimensions were changed.

When we started going to games in late 40s you could get to the park about 11:30 on Sun. and watch both teams take batting practice and play a double-header. Some of the old timers would really put on a show. I saw Ted Williams break a lite in the right field tower. I never saw any hit in CF bleachers although my grandfather said Jimmie Foxx did it.. Any you old timers remember any long blasts---even in batting practice ? Also there was me my grand-father-dad and uncle and we could spend about 7 or 8 hours for about what it costs just to park now.

thegooch
02-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I once saw Canseco crush a foul ball roof shot at the old joint. He crushed it. I wonder if he had any help?

soxfan13
02-27-2008, 09:56 AM
I saw a Kittle roof shot in person and it was awesome. I also saw a Canseco hit a rooftop shot. Luzinksi was at the time my favorite player and hew hit 3 or 4 if I recall correctly.:gulp:

twentywontowin
02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Two from Mickey Mantle. This one supposedly cleared the center field bleachers:

http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr071361.htm

This one in 1955 off of Billy Pierce:

http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr060555.htm

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Before they moved the plate up, Dick Allen and Richie Zisk were the only Sox players to hit over the roof, right? Or was it the CF bleachers?

veeter
02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I saw a Kittle roof shot in person and it was awesome. I also saw a Canseco hit a rooftop shot. Luzinksi was at the time my favorite player and hew hit 3 or 4 if I recall correctly.:gulp:I saw Luzinski do it. I was in the right field bleachers so I had a side view of it. It just never came down. That day all the fans were given the 50th All-star game patch. I still have it.

SaltyPretzel
02-27-2008, 10:32 AM
I saw George Bell hit a roofshot and Larry Sheets crush one between the light towers off Tom Seaver.

SOXPHILE
02-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I used to have a White Sox calender, either 1984 or 1985, that showed a picture of Greg Luzinski kneeling on the roof, holding the balls he had hit up there.

Years and years ago, my grandfather told me that a guy, I think it was Jimmie Foxx, hit a home run completely out of Comiskey park, and it bounced and broke a window in the old Mac Truck building.

KenBerryGrab
02-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I was there when Kirk Gibson hit the roof in right for the Tigers.

Dick Allen's shot to center at the start of the '72 season got the year off on the right foot.

And, sadly, I was there when, just after Rich Dotson drilled Ripken in retaliation for the Orioles putting Kittle out, Eddie Murray went upper tank to right in Game 3 of the '83 ALCS. That ball got out in a hurry.

sox1970
02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
I used to have a White Sox calender, either 1984 or 1985, that showed a picture of Greg Luzinski kneeling on the roof, holding the balls he had hit up there.

Years and years ago, my grandfather told me that a guy, I think it was Jimmie Foxx, hit a home run completely out of Comiskey park, and it bounced and broke a window in the old Mac Truck building.

Luzinski hit three rooftop shots in 1983. I was at his first on June 26 off the Twins Bryan Oelkers.

Jimmie Foxx hit two. June 16, 1936 off Bob Cain. May 14, 1940 off John Rigney.

soxinem1
02-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I saw George Bell hit a roofshot and Larry Sheets crush one between the light towers off Tom Seaver.

That was the same weekend series when Bell hit two on the roof, and another in the CF bleachers.

I remember that Sheets shot too.

I saw Tony Armas jack one off Tom Seaver in 1984. That and the Bell CF shot were almost identical.

Rob Deer Opening Day in 1986 nailed one on the LF roof (with the plate just moved back)that I thought was going to nail me in the head when he hit it.

I remember Kirby Pucket nailing one in 1988 or 1989 that went to the CF side of the Upper Deck in LF. That ball traveled like a rocket. If the park itself wasn't in the way, it would have hit the pool in Armour Square Park.

The kicker was, all these guys looked like they just stuck out the bat when they hit them.

Seaver gave up some bombs, even though he pitched well here.....

kba
02-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Not to doubt your grandfather, but that would have been quite a bounce. The Mack truck building is the one in the upper right hand corner in this photo, to the right of the baseball diamonds at Armour Square.

SOXPHILE
02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Not to doubt your grandfather, but that would have been quite a bounce. The Mack truck building is the one in the upper right hand corner in this photo, to the right of the baseball diamonds at Armour Square.

I know. I was never quite sure myself. I remember where that building was, and I kind of always thought it was a tall tale / urban myth / exageration that people would tell, to say just how far out of Comiskey it was that Foxx hit the ball - "Did you know that Jimmie Foxx hit a ball SO far out of Comiskey Park, that it actually broke a window at Mack Truck !"

SOXPHILE
02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry, duplicate post.

Saracen
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
My dad & uncle used to climb up the outside fencing and sit on the roof in the 40's and 50's. Uncle says they saw one of those Mantle shots from up there, not sure which of the two.

cubhater
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
And, sadly, I was there when, just after Rich Dotson drilled Ripken in retaliation for the Orioles putting Kittle out, Eddie Murray went upper tank to right in Game 3 of the '83 ALCS. That ball got out in a hurry.

Same here. I took military leave for the playoffs and that ball kept rising even as it made it to the UD. I'm sure it would've set a record for distance.

NoNeckEra
02-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Dave Nicholson's blast in 1964 was televised on Channel 9 as the first game of a "twi-niter" and although he was voted most likely to strike out at any given moment, that HR endeared me to him throughout the remainder of his Sox career(I was 9 at the time).

I saw "Bad" Alex Johnson hit one to CF for the Angels, and Dick Allen's CF shot came while Harry was broadcasting in the CF bleachers and he almost caught it in his net.

Possibly the longest Old Comiskey homer may be when Yankee catcher Elston Howard hit the base of the light standard in left center field around 1960.

BTW, the Luzinski shot came during my Honeymoon in '83, and yes, my wife and I were watching on cable from Minnesota, but I was the only one paying attention.

Save McCuddy's
02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
One the "could have been the longest" I ever saw was Rice's screaming liner in the '83 All-Star game. Rightfully trumped by Lynn's grand slam, Rice's shot was the one that stuck with me. He hit it so hard that it was cutting back toward left center as if it was me trying to hit driver off the deck. That ball would have gone through the brick wall behind the seats and into Armor Park had some unfortunate fans not have slowed it down en route.

jamteh
02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Maybe my memory is off on this and I'm combining two games in my head, but I seem to remember going to a game in '83 where there were two roof shots (Luzinski and Kittle, I think).

sox1970
02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Maybe my memory is off on this and I'm combining two games in my head, but I seem to remember going to a game in '83 where there were two roof shots (Luzinski and Kittle, I think).

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/pressbox/downloads/y2007/cws/records.pdf

Page 343

TommyJohn
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM

I was at one in 1984 that featured roof shots by Fisk and Kittle. That may
be the one you have in mind.

jamteh
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
That was it. Thanks for updating my memory banks!

ode to veeck
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I was in the upper deck when a Kittle shot went over the roof above me. I remember a Harmon Killabrew shot off the scoreboard that had no arc and bounced back. Dick Allen hit the hardest ropes I ever saw; they would go right past the 2nd basemen and be a no arc rope just over the RF fence. You felt sorry for the fans that tried to catch those.

oldcomiskey
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
trivia time---who is the only visiting player--maybe the only player period who hit a home run into the bleachers and one on the roof in the same game

ode to veeck
02-29-2008, 11:41 AM

roof shots which had been extremely rare in previous 20 years increased as they moved the plate farther out in like 81 or so, Kittle's and Ludzinski's shots all came after moving the plate out

Juice16
02-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I was lucky enough to see a Luzinski roof shot from the third base line sky box as a kid. I also remember a Jack Clark (Yankees at the time) hit a line drive to the CF side of RF well in the upper deck.

I also found it interesting that Tom Seaver gave up 4 roof shots and a CF bleacher HR in his brief time here.

ILuvThatDuck
02-29-2008, 12:15 PM
trivia time---who is the only visiting player--maybe the only player period who hit a home run into the bleachers and one on the roof in the same game

Pete Incaviglia???

oldcomiskey
02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
wasnt INKY---a hit--he later played for the Sox

sox1970
02-29-2008, 03:37 PM
George Bell hit a bleacher shot and rooftop homer on back to back days.