PDA

View Full Version : Rowand gets the start; Lofton gets rest

HawkDJ
04-24-2002, 06:38 AM
Lofton gets his first well deserved rest. Rowand will replace him in center. Who will bat lead off?

Got this from the Daily Herald:
The White Sox have played 20 games so far, and Kenny Lofton has started all of them.

Heading into the season, manager Jerry Manuel wanted to give the veteran center fielder as much time off as possible.

"I ask him every day about taking a rest and he says he's not tired,'' Manuel said.

That's because Lofton is fully recovered from the shoulder injury that hampered him the last two years.

"I feel good,'' Lofton said. "Stay healthy and you can play a long time.''

Lofton finally gets a break tonight, when Aaron Rowand is scheduled to make his first start of the season.

duke of dorwood
04-24-2002, 07:50 AM
Does this put Ray in the leadoff spot? History of this manager says no.

Soxboyrob
04-24-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Lofton gets his first well deserved rest. Rowand will replace him in center. Who will bat lead off?

I heard Manuel in an interview yesterday noting that Lofton told him he'd like a rest while in Cleveland. Thought that was odd, since you'd figure that a guy like Lofton would want to play the entire series and try to sink as many daggers into the Spiders as possible. If he's asking for a rest, should we wonder if he's hurting in some way or under some kind of physical duress? Hope not.

Although I was wanting to start to see Rowand play more often, it was certainly not in lieu of having Kenny in the lineup. Ouch!!

foulkesfan11
04-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Kenny needs the rest. He hasn't been getting on base his usual 3 times a game lately.

This is Rowand's time to shine. I think he'll do good tonight.

Iwritecode
04-24-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
Kenny needs the rest. He hasn't been getting on base his usual 3 times a game lately.

This is Rowand's time to shine. I think he'll do good tonight.

Listening to Farmer and Rooney last night, they said it's a good idea because Sabathia is a lefty and Kenny has never faced him before...

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 10:22 AM
I was hoping to see Lofton rest vs. Oakland. Maybe it really bothers him playing at the jake? Go Aaron I guess.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-24-2002, 03:18 PM
:rowand
"Could it possibly be because of me?"

Pete_SSAC
04-24-2002, 03:29 PM
:rowand
"I heard the walls at the Jake are tasty. Mmmmmm Wall!"

- Pete