PDA

View Full Version : Rick Telander named Illinois Sportswriter of the Year

Fenway
02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Congrats to Rick Telender for being named 2007 Illinois Sportswriter of the Year

Sportscaster of the Year goes to the man that has to babysit Ron Santo - Pat Hughes

and congrats to Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe who was named the National Sportswriter of the Year ( he really deserves it...)

BTW Bob is back at the Globe..he said he simply has to work to keep his mind off what happened...he still doesn't know the truth about his son :whiner:

http://www.nssahalloffame.com/79/index.aspx

getonbckthr
02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Rick Telander is brutal.

spawn
02-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Rick Telander is brutal.
He's the best sportswrite at the Scum-Times...but then again, that isn't saying much.

MeteorsSox4367
02-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Rick Telander is brutal.

The only way Telander should have won this award is if he ran unopposed.

doublem23
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Bob Ryan is an asshat.

I believe he was the one who 10 days before the Super Bowl pretty much wrote the Patriots 19-0 season into the history books.

kjhanson
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Bob Ryan is an asshat.

No kidding. The man is a complete buffoon, and an embarrassment to Journalism. I don't read or see many journalists nationally, but I've seen enough of Ryan to know that he's nowhere near the best in the business, and doesn't deserve a damn thing.

rdivaldi
02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
He's the best sportswrite at the Scum-Times...but then again, that isn't saying much.

That is saying something considering he writes for the Tribune...

getonbckthr
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
He writes for the Chicago Sun-Times.

kittle42
02-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Nope. Try again.

rdivaldi
02-26-2008, 07:09 PM
He writes for the Chicago Sun-Times.

Nope. Try again.

Good lord I need to go home. I was reading that as Rick Morrissey.

:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Fenway
02-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Bob Ryan is an asshat.

I believe he was the one who 10 days before the Super Bowl pretty much wrote the Patriots 19-0 season into the history books.

No actually the San Diego game scared him and he feared the Giants.

He never had the chance to write during Super Bowl week as his son was found dead in Pakistan.

Don't judge him by his TV persona READ him. He is lightyears better than any Chicago columnist.

Pat Hughes is a good radio play by play voice. He was never going to get the Brewers #1 job and the Cubs are a good fit for him. Being stuck with Santo has to wear on him.

The White Sox NEED a trained broacaster instead of 4 ex-players that JR thinks are doing well. Losing Rooney was a blow but Missoui is his home.

Owners do stupid things with broadcasters at times. Angelos broke John Miller's heart when he fired him. The O's put out a cover story that Miller wanted to go home to San Francisco. Not true as Miller still lives in Maryland. In NY Steinbrenner adores Dame Edna but she is brutal for 162 games.

Wayne Hagin landed on his feet being hired by the Mets.

rocky biddle
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
No actually the San Diego game scared him and he feared the Giants.

He never had the chance to write during Super Bowl week as his son was found dead in Pakistan.

Don't judge him by his TV persona READ him. He is lightyears better than any Chicago columnist.

http://deadspin.com/sports/hometown-columnists/why-your-hometown-columnist-sucks-bob-ryan-141291.php

IMO, if a guy sells out his journalistic ethics by going the celebu-journalist, scream-on-tv route, he's immediately disqualified from ever being called a good writer.

And no offense Fenway, but
1) You've repeatedly shown that, in your opinion, any guy that drops his R's and openly roots for the Sawx in print is superior to everyone that doesn't.
-and-
2) You could put a monkey in front of a typewriter and it would probably be lightyears better than 99.9% of the Chicago sportswriters

JB98
02-27-2008, 02:51 AM
I got screwed. :whiner:

Mohoney
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
The only way Telander should have won this award is if he ran unopposed.

He basically did. The sportswriters in this town are beyond awful.

Picking a winner here would be like picking between the guillotine or a firing squad.

SOXPHILE
02-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Illinois Sportswriter of the Year ? For what ? Penning a bunch of articles about his daughter's high school swim team, his son's driveway basketball games, and giving us his views on global warming ? Ooooh ! I know, maybe because of one of the never ending reminders and stories from him about how he went to and played for Northwestern, and had tried to make the Kansas City Chiefs, all while plugging yet another book he wrote about the same thing. Telender ceased to be relevant, or even remotely interesting 5-10 years ago.

Sad
02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Pat Hughes is a good radio play by play voice.

that's a fact... I think he is a class act...

MeteorsSox4367
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
I'll agree with all the good things said about Pat Hughes. I've had the opportunity to meet him and he is a really nice man. As a broadcaster, the only knock I have on him is that he works for the wrong team. After a long day at work and if the Sox aren't on yet, I'll listen to Hughes on 'GN just to listen to a ballgame and hear what a real PBP guy sounds like.